CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi
That is so good you are doing this.I really hope they find hem.

suzanne

Yes we are actively looking for the remains of LMX, so far, however, we're stuck. Records in Flagstaff are not clear, remember it was the wild wild west back then and a very large territory. A few of us have been searching court records, medical examiners office, and an old mortuary record without success, so far.

Let me know if you could use any help with your efforts. Even if it is just to make phone calls, etc. I've got the free time.

We still have not located LMX remains or her last know resting place is. We know she was compared to Connie Smith in 1962. You'd think it would be easy to locate her remains again. 1962 was not that long ago. And with todays science, there might be an answer out there.

Contact with the LE, as well as helpful people who have found this story interesting enough to start digging. (No pun intended!) but nothing has been found we fumbling in the space, it seems.

The story is an interesting one, but until we find her remains we will not be able to match in CODIS DNA for either Connie Smith or a host of other missing girls listed as missing and on the desk of LE in AZ.

I am frustrated.:mad:

I wonder... is there anyone out there, who has a connection to Flagstaff, AZ and is interested in spending some time "digging" for information?

I am looking for more than newspaper clippings, I am looking for documents as well as verbal information from October 1958 when remains of a young girl were discovered near Williams, AZ. And then in 1962, these remains were taken for comparison on the cold case of missing ten-year old Connie Smith. At that time there was no perfect match made. But now with DNA there is a possibility if we can find these remains. Where are they stored, rested or laid, waiting for answers?

There have been and are people already searching for this information. I can not help but wonder if someplace... out there... someone someplace can provide information of what, where, how or why of this mystery.

There are answers... but who has them

I have always found this case puzzling, fascinating, heartbreaking. My sister was a counselor at Camp Sloane in the 80s, and I used to spend time there and used to know the area well.

The contemporary news story posted in this thread is really interesting. It lends weight to the idea that she really did walk toward Lakeville (I, too, wondered if someone at the camp had something to do with her disappearance and that she actually had never left the camp of her own steam). I would be willing to bet that she didn't make it to LA or AZ or anywhere else, but that she was abducted and that her remains are somewhere in CT, MA and NY (both the NY and MA borders are nearby). There are still so many places to hide a body up that way -- there is at least one road that I know of that goes over the mountains toward MA that is rugged and unpassable in winter. So many places she could be.

I, too, would be really interested in hearing from some of her camp-mates. She would be my mother's age -- still young enough to recall at least something about that summer.

I was happy to read your post, and wish "we" could locate former persons from that time, but I think they were told never to discuss it, or the girls were so traumatized back then it was something that did not often happen, and certainly not in that area. But there were reports, now surface from time to time, about other girls who were approached by people trying to get them in their vehicles. And it was not uncommon for the camp to employ pedophiles, perhaps not knowingly, but none the less there were out there. At least one was fired around that time from another camp nearby.

I too believe she is still in the area, and now with the reforesting, it would be a big job to search unless someone comes forth and talks about it.

If they were told almost sixty years ago to keep silent... would they still? Has anyone ever seen a list of names (or even one or two) of her bunkmates? I had the impression from one of the articles that they slept eight to a tent.

I don't know how many slept in the tent nor do I know any of the names, except one, who helped Connie's father by providing some camp photos she had taken, but there was nothing of use from the film I was told.

Her mother worked in town and the girl had worked her way through camp. I think she and Connie were best of friends. I have never found the family, however.

Fifty-seven years ago, July 16, 1956, Connie Smith walked away from her summer camp in Northwest Connecticut. So far no one has been able to tell me why or where she was headed. There has been many sighting, claims of murder, and even remains though to be her. Yet she is still lost.

It was a sad time for her family then and continues to be a sad time for her family now. Await answers to questions they must have asked themselves hundreds of times... "Where is she?" "What happened?" "Who took our little girl from us?" "Will we ever find her?"

Connie's birthday was July 11th and I remembered her with a pink candle and a small bouquet of wildflowers.

Tears filled my eyes as I thought of the missing persons and their families, each suffer the sadness and loss of never knowing the answers to their questions just as Connie Smith's family is doing in remembering that sad day in July.

Remembering Connie, and hoping that one day answers will be found.

We are still looking for you Connie. Someone knows we just need to find them

The Charley Project information says that she "fell out of her tent" and had a bruise. I don't understand what that means. How do you fall out of a tent?

Did anyone know why she would have been specifically going to Lakeville? Did someone in her family live there?

What we surmised happened was she feel onto or into the wooden platform that tent was on. Don't know if there was horse play or she trip and fell but she bruised her hip and went for first aid, she was given an ice pack. The next morning, she received a bloody nose, more horse play? We don't know.

We don't know why she was on the mission of getting to Lakeville. She was from Wyoming for the summer, visiting her grandparents in Greenwich, CT and going to summer camp in NW CT. Her mother and father were divorced. Her mother was in Connecticut with Connie while her father was back on the ranch in WY.

I would love to know where she was headed and why?

There has been nothing new in the case, I am still looking for anyone who might have attended summer camp that year with Connie.

There has been nothing new in the case, I am still looking for anyone who might have attended summer camp that year with Connie.

Not sure if this has been brought up but have you tried searching Facebook groups? If you have the name of the camp. There are groups for everything on Facebook. It is worth a shot!

Attached is a reproduction of the missing person poster sent out by the Connecticut State Police when Connie Smith went missing in 1952.

A full photo of Connie appeared in the left corner in the original poster, it was a cropped from a group photo taken by the official camp photographer.

I don't have a clear copy of the photo but a head shot was cropped from that photo and is listed on many of the missing sites where Connie's information can be found.

I am sorry I had to do an attachment, but I don't know how else to put in on this page.

"Connie, we are still looking for you ."

Attachments

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean