CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can still remember seeing the pain in the parents faces during the funerals it is such a tragedy. I am pleased that the girl's mother is managing to carry on in the face of terrible circumstances I admire her and Mr Petit who lost his family in the home invasion immensely. I hope the girl's father is managing to cope as best he can too.

Mother's boyfriend ordered to pay $5million after her three daughters and parents were killed in Christmas
Day fire started after he left smoldering embers in a cardboard box

Michael Borcina, and his company, settled Matthew Badger's lawsuit in Hartford Superior Court in Connecticut on December 10, 2014

The fire in Stamford killed twins Grace and Sarah Badger, aged seven, Lily Badger, nine, and their maternal grandparents, Lomar and Pauline Johnson

The girl's mother, Madonna Badger, and Borcina, who were dating at the time, both escaped

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-reached-Connecticut-fire.html#ixzz3Okx1CTtN

Madonna Badger's ex-bf, contractor Michael Borcina, now is blaming her for the fire that killed her three daughters and her parents

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3581400/Boyfriend-changes-story-Christmas-fire-killed-5.html

Hi there everyone. Another long time lurker coming out from lurkdom. Nice to meet everyone. :)

This sudden change of his story is quite shocking to me. I can't imagine lying to protect someone if it was just an accident as it always has been claimed. What difference would it make if he put it out there or she did. An accident is an accident.

There is something that feels ominous to this that is unnerving to me, personally. This was a beautiful family, the grandparents and the children.

The Hartford Currant also has an article on this new development:
http://www.courant.com/community/stamford/hc-stamford-fire-new-theory-20160509-story.html

Some highlights:

• The children's father, Matthew Badger, is suing Borcina and other subcontractors as well as the city of Stamford. The developments came out during court dispositions.
  • Borcina paid a $5 million settlement to the father.
  • Borcina testified that shortly after the fire, nearly all of his computer files on the housing renovations were copied and then erased from his computer. He hired a forensic expert who confirmed this and, further, accused the mother of emailing the files to herself before erasing them. Borcina said he did not give her permission to do this.

So many unanswered questions. Why did the city demolish the house so soon after this tragedy? Why did Matthew Badger take so long to come clean, if that is what is occurring?

A tragic story gets somehow more tragic. I pray they get to the bottom of this.

This one always had, from the time I first posted, a dark and mother-y feel about it.

Hi there everyone. Another long time lurker coming out from lurkdom. Nice to meet everyone. :)

This sudden change of his story is quite shocking to me. I can't imagine lying to protect someone if it was just an accident as it always has been claimed. What difference would it make if he put it out there or she did. An accident is an accident.

There is something that feels ominous to this that is unnerving to me, personally. This was a beautiful family, the grandparents and the children.

The Hartford Currant also has an article on this new development:
http://www.courant.com/community/stamford/hc-stamford-fire-new-theory-20160509-story.html

Some highlights:

• The children's father, Matthew Badger, is suing Borcina and other subcontractors as well as the city of Stamford. The developments came out during court dispositions.
  • Borcina paid a $5 million settlement to the father.
  • Borcina testified that shortly after the fire, nearly all of his computer files on the housing renovations were copied and then erased from his computer. He hired a forensic expert who confirmed this and, further, accused the mother of emailing the files to herself before erasing them. Borcina said he did not give her permission to do this.

So many unanswered questions. Why did the city demolish the house so soon after this tragedy? Why did Matthew Badger take so long to come clean, if that is what is occurring?

A tragic story gets somehow more tragic. I pray they get to the bottom of this.

I don't believe him. Madonna Badger barely survived her grief at so suddenly and horribly losing all of her beautiful, precious children. It is inconceivable that a couple weeks after that loss she would think to sit down at his computer and wipe out his project files. How could it even be determined Badger sent the files to herself from his computer? If those files were sent , I'd bet he sent them to her to try to absolve himself of any suspicions she might have about his work.

She's said all along she knew the ashes were put in the mudroom. Why would she--or he--lie at the time about who put them there? It's easy to imagine she would have felt more, not less guilt that Borcino put the ashes there, would have tormented herself why she didn't check the ashes herself to make sure they were cold.

IIRC, there were all kinds of irregularities about Borcina's work, beginning with his credentials to undertake the job. I don't why he would change his story at this point, but IMO it reeks.

As far as I can tell he was being sued. So that could be a motive for changing the story. I find it hard to believe he would have lied that he was the one to put ashes away in order to protect her.
She wasn't facing criminal charges.
What would he be protecting her from? She would know if she did or didn't put the ashes in the mud room. So how would him claiming that he did it protect her from the burden?

I just reread what Badger said in 2012- that she actually saw the ashes in tbe mudroom and thought she should put them outside, but decided against it as unnecessary, because she'd seen Borcino run his hands over the ashes and believed they were cold. She also said that Borcino was not to blame, that she thought the fire was started by an electrical malfunction, not the ashes.

I'd also forgotten the very odd detail of the city's mayor and chief counsel being on the scene as the fire still burned, and that no one has ever been able to tell a straight story about who ordered the house torn down so quickly, and why the haste.

Definitely reeks. Follow the money? The city issued multiple building contracts to someone who wasn't licensed and who did sloppy work, an immense and very high profile tragedy followed, and a multi-million dollar lawsuit implicating Borcino is being pursued by Badger's ex-husband against the city.

IMO Borcino told the truth the first time around, that he put the ashes in the mudroom, but I'm thinking he likely suspected very early on that the ashes weren't what caused the fire.

ETA. The funeral for Madonna Badger's daughters was on January 5. Borcino would have the Court believe that just a few days after burying her babies, Badger had the wherewithal and bad intent to go on his computer and delete his project files. I'd be interested to know what he provided as the motivation for her to do that.

Not sure. But "cui bono?" is always best advice. This either was an accident; or an act of twisted love; or an act of profit.

My vote is for (contractor) negligence or incompetence. I don't believe any one of the people involved capable of murdering 3 children and 2 not-young adults for profit.

Twisted love? Whose? For whom?

My vote is for (contractor) negligence or incompetence. I don't believe any one of the people involved capable of murdering 3 children and 2 not-young adults for profit.

Twisted love? Whose? For whom?
I don't know.

You're right about the negligence, though, though that could also be said to have been an accident, mortality-wise. (A defense lawyer would say.)

Any scenario mentioned is just heartwretching. He did it, she did it, accident or not, it all still makes my heart drop. Such a horrific tragedy. If anything malicious did happen, I just pray they get to the bottom of it.

Yesterday, Madonna [FONT=proxima_nova]Borcina[/FONT], the mother, came out and said of Badger, "I feel sorry for him. I feel incredibly sad for him."
http://www.today.com/video/madonna-...-christmas-fire-i-m-not-to-blame-682647107692

There have been no indication whatsoever that anything malicious happened. Ashes can easily cause the fire, if not disposed properly. Ashes should never be put into plastic or paper bags. Ashes could be smoldering for a long time even if it appears they are no longer burning. That said, city shouldn't have demolished the house without doing proper investigation into the cause of the fire. If people looked in the beginning of the thread, we questioned from the start why the house was demolished so quickly.

"She came to regret telling Spaulding about them from her hospital bed, she told The Advocate in 2012. She thinks city officials used her answer as an excuse to do only a cursory investigation into the cause of the fire. Within a day, and without her permission, they tore down her still-smoldering house and carted it away."

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...-questions-still-lie-in-the-ashes-7449920.php

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayaanie
Back