CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, deceased/not found, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think some of this memory stuff is fascinating - the things that can impact memory or change memory or introduce inaccurate memory.

But, I don't think it belongs in a courtroom as expert scientific testimony any more than the testimony of a psychic would.

Unless addressing specific issues or incidents in a particular case (ETA: that the introduction of THIS by LE or by FD impacted MT's memory of THAT), the boundaries around it are simply too soft and permeable. (ETA: the jury cannot apply the broad generalities presented to the specifics of THIS case and apply reason.)

MOO

Probably necessary to expose her bias for the defense but it opens up so much for redirect.

I wish he'd been brief about it.

He's given her to much credence by time allotment.

Judge only gives double yellow line warnings to the defense, I guess.

MOO

L&C - Facinating to see how ANGRY the chat is about Judge not intervening with Jon Schoenhorn absolute disrespect to Gloria Farber yesterday - Chat moving so fast that its impossible now to read:
"For him to say unhinged is total BS and he knows it"
"Bad memory and trying to get away with murder. Two things, very different".
"Judge wasn't too concerned about the need to show respect when Horn was cross examining the murdered woman's 88 yr old mother, Gloria!"
"weeks and weeks of horn being disrespectful and annoying. now McGuiness says one thing a bit over the top and papa judge calls a meeting lol"
"You notice how she came alive and she perked up when talking about the sociopathic murderers? She remembers a lot about those testimonies .. she's enamored!!!"
"Hutch is watching golden girl reruns on a mini tv next to his pond while he skips stones and drinks a soda pop"
"Hope SNL writers are in this chat"

Unpopular opinion but he does not need to get snarky with her. He has already discredited her. He seems wise guy ish. Not a good look imo. Esp after the judge admonished him.
The judge did give Shoe a lot more latitude but JS entire personality is snark so very hard to separate or pinpoint the disrespect.
State needs to stay focused but respectful.
JMO

Personally, I think some of this memory stuff is fascinating - the things that can impact memory or change memory or introduce inaccurate memory.

But, I don't think it belongs in a courtroom as expert scientific testimony any more than the testimony of a psychic would. The boundaries around it are simply too soft and permeable.
Yes, she might have something meaningful to say about the accuracy of witness recall.. Why two witnesses would remember the same event differently, for example. She has nothing to add to account for MT lying about what she did and didn't do relative to a crime in which she actively participated. This isn't about witnesses! It's about a defendant engaged in deception.

But, I don't think it belongs in a courtroom as expert scientific testimony any more than the testimony of a psychic would. The boundaries around it are simply too soft and permeable.
I have a pretty significant background in psychology but do not practice. All the studies etc are not new but yes interesting. In order to apply any of it to this case we would need to bypass generalities and even then it’s not black and white. Just because X happens in a certain percent of people does not mean it applies to Michelle or you or me.
just a long way of me saying, she really has no relevance here.
JMO

Imo Judge R seems like he was tip toeing around JS’s treatment of state’s witnesses and blatant disrespect for the court/judge on many occasions AND antics from MT and MT’s mother etc but a couple of remarks from state that were a bit snarky and the court abruptly goes into a recess… hmmm. Something is amiss…

Yes, she might have something meaningful to say about the accuracy of witness recall.. Why two witnesses would remember the same event differently, for example. She has nothing to add to account for MT lying about what she did and didn't do relative to a crime in which she actively participated. This isn't about witnesses! It's about a defendant engaged in deception.
Yes, exactly. If I am a juror, having listened and observed over the course of several weeks and beginning to develop opinions about the reliability of THIS defendant's spoken words and the motivations involved given the totality of all I have yet been introduced to... there is very little of Dr. Loftus' testimony that I can make use of. It seems to me that the broad generalities she offers about memory are likely generalities that most individual jurors have already incorporated into their own understanding of memory from those sources they have encountered in everyday life.

ETA: There is nothing SPECIFIC or PARTICULAR with regard to this case. It's like a sideshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx