CVS employees must reveal body weight or pay higher premiums

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also from the article linked by the OP:

An article posted on the Today show's website said smokers working for CVS were also warned they "must be tobacco-free by May 1, 2014, or participate in the WebMD tobacco cessation program."

Looks like trouble is brewing.

CVS Ordering Workers To Reveal Weight, Health Info

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/03/21/cvs-ordering-workers-to-reveal-weight-health-info/

“(CVS Executives) better get some pretty good legal counsel and decide whether your policy is really legal, because the policy as announced is not legal,” said Richard Schramm, a Bay Area employment lawyer.

Schramm told KPIX 5 the company is trying to tell employees what they can and can’t do on their off time.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...experts_cvs_won_t_be_last_to_seek_health_info

CVS Caremark Corp., which has 200,000 employees, has told all workers who use the company’s health insurance to “voluntarily” report their weight, height, body fat, glucose and lipid levels to CVS’ insurer by May 1 — or pay an additional $600 a year for coverage.

“We want to help our employees to be as healthy as they can be, which is why we decided to implement this plan,” CVS spokesman Michael D’Angelis said yesterday.

bbm, All? or just the ones on your plan?

How does it make employees as healthy as they can be?
Just because of reporting of weithg/height, that would not make someone healthy.

I'm in Texas, anonymousd. I'm not sure every hospital here has the nicotine rule but know of several. I read that Obamacare is going to require testing for nicotine, but don't know if it's true.

Just because of reporting of weithg/height, that would not make someone healthy.

I imagine that they feel that having to "publically" announce your weight (publically, as in, to your employer) will motivate some individuals to take better care of themselves (if they need to), and lose excess weight (if they have to).

Of course, it could just as easily backfire on them (CVS), because people need to want to take care of themselves, whether that includes losing weight (and even then, it can be very difficult!), or eating more heathfully to keep their sugar in balance, or their blood pressure down, etc.

JMO, of course!

exactly. And what would stop anyone from reporting that they are 5'7" and 120lbs if they arent?

My employer, which is a major healthcare organization, has been doing this for 2 years. I met goal last year; this year might be a different story (too much ice cream...LOL).

My main problem is when I quit smoking I became overweight and I got a lot of exercise at my old job. At least I've cut my smoking back and respect not smoking around others. When I gained the weight I had a much harder time breathing and did far more huffing and puffing. WTF?

If I was still working I'd be doomed as doomed can be...either a smoker or overweight and penalized. I don't do soft drinks and eat a balanced diet...does that count for something?

exactly. And what would stop anyone from reporting that they are 5'7" and 120lbs if they arent?

I thought they had to go to the dr -- and the dr would be reporting this info, or it would be on some type of official report, not word of mouth from the employee. However, it's hard to pass off being 5'7" and 120lbs. when you're really 5'2" and 200lbs.

Only one thing to say about all this...Get out your wallets.

From Yahoo Finance

As this start date draws near, evidence is piling up that ObamaCare will: Boost insurance costs. Officially the "Affordable Care Act," ObamaCare promised to lower premiums for families. But regulators decided to impose a 3.5% surcharge on insurance plans sold through federally run exchanges. There's also a $63 fee for every person covered by employers. And the law adds a "premium tax" that will require insurers to pay more than $100 billion over the next decade. The congressional Joint Committee on Taxation expects insurers to simply pass this tax onto individuals and small businesses, boosting premiums another 2.5%.
Push millions off employer coverage. In February, the Congressional Budget Office said that 7 million will likely lose their employer coverage thanks to ObamaCare — nearly twice its previous estimate. That number could be as high as 20 million, the CBO says.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obamacare-turns-3-10-disturbing-212600864.html

I thought they had to go to the dr -- and the dr would be reporting this info, or it would be on some type of official report, not word of mouth from the employee. However, it's hard to pass off being 5'7" and 120lbs. when you're really 5'2" and 200lbs.

Who will check? If CVS corporate offices send representatives to match employees against what is reported, that is kind of big brotherish for me. Fortunately, the economy is on an upswing regarding jobs so perhaps there will be options for those who feel these guidelines are somewhat oppressive.

ETA: I re read the article. Yes, the Dr fills out the paperwork. I think CVS will be on a hot seat for sure. If my height, weight, body proportion in no way affects the particular job I am doing for CVS, how can I be told I need to spend an extra 600 but my colleagues who are height/weight proportionate do not? Additionally, does the CVS health insurance plan include gym memberships and corporate work out facilities? They are going to pay for smoking cessation....will they be leveling the playing field for employees who are smoke free but who have other issues? What about pre existing conditions that have already been covered in the past by the health insurance plans like diabetes etc?

The way I am reading this is that they are weeding out employees who are more expensive. Who can afford an additional 600.00 when your a minimum wage worker?

Shame on you CVS.

Who will check? If CVS corporate offices send representatives to match employees against what is reported, that is kind of big brotherish for me. Fortunately, the economy is on an upswing regarding jobs so perhaps there will be options for those who feel these guidelines are somewhat oppressive.

The OP says that they have to visit their doctors, and have their doctors determine their height, weight, blood pressure, ect. I imagine there will be a form to be filled out and signed or faxed in from the doctor's office.

Only one thing to say about all this...Get out your wallets.

From Yahoo Finance

As this start date draws near, evidence is piling up that ObamaCare will: Boost insurance costs. Officially the "Affordable Care Act," ObamaCare promised to lower premiums for families. But regulators decided to impose a 3.5% surcharge on insurance plans sold through federally run exchanges. There's also a $63 fee for every person covered by employers. And the law adds a "premium tax" that will require insurers to pay more than $100 billion over the next decade. The congressional Joint Committee on Taxation expects insurers to simply pass this tax onto individuals and small businesses, boosting premiums another 2.5%.
Push millions off employer coverage. In February, the Congressional Budget Office said that 7 million will likely lose their employer coverage thanks to ObamaCare — nearly twice its previous estimate. That number could be as high as 20 million, the CBO says.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obamacare-turns-3-10-disturbing-212600864.html

Yes, don't blame CVS, they've just found a way to defray their extra costs. Extra costs they would not have without Obamacare. Expect others to follow suit. Thank you, President Obama for your brilliant idea.

I wonder if they'll also tell the doctors how to make their calculations. Most people want their height to be measured with their shoes on but their weight measured with their shoes off. When I was at the doctor's many years ago, I saw a very overweight woman take her shoes off to weigh and I thought - does it really make any difference that they write down 317# instead of 319#? Strangely, I felt sorry for her.

I wonder if they'll also tell the doctor's how to make their calculations. Most people want their height to be measured with their shoes on but their weight measured with their shoes off. When I was at the doctor's many years ago, I saw a very overweight woman take her shoes off to weigh and I thought - does it really make any difference that they write down 317# instead of 319#? Strangely, I felt sorry for her.

(bbm)
It's not strange to feel compassion; it's human. :)

ETA: I re read the article. Yes, the Dr fills out the paperwork. I think CVS will be on a hot seat for sure. If my height, weight, body proportion in no way affects the particular job I am doing for CVS, how can I be told I need to spend an extra 600 but my colleagues who are height/weight proportionate do not? Additionally, does the CVS health insurance plan include gym memberships and corporate work out facilities? They are going to pay for smoking cessation....will they be leveling the playing field for employees who are smoke free but who have other issues? What about pre existing conditions that have already been covered in the past by the health insurance plans like diabetes etc?

The way I am reading this is that they are weeding out employees who are more expensive. Who can afford an additional 600.00 when your a minimum wage worker?

Shame on you CVS.

(bbm)
CVS is probably not the only company asking for this information. As I mentioned earlier, my husband faced similar circumstances working for county government.

The shame is on Obamacare.

BUT FOR OBAMACARE, this would not even be happening.

I will be intrigued to see if they have employees leaving over this.

(bbm)
CVS is probably not the only company asking for this information. As I mentioned earlier, my husband faced similar circumstances working for county government.

The shame is on Obamacare.

BUT FOR OBAMACARE, this would not even be happening.

This was happening BEFORE the Affordable Care Act. I was subjected to it starting in the early 2000s while President Bush was still in office. It's all about the profits for the insurance company--that's all it has ever been about. When they started charging higher premiums in the 1990s for people who smoked, I assumed other issues would be coming. Just wait until they start nosing into family histories and charging more for those with cancer or other illnesses they might perceive to have a genetic link (read: anything they consider to be profit drains).

The company I work for does this. I think it's great - incenting healthy behaviors works for me. They also give us $ to get physicals, weight loss programs, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Askmetomorrow2
Back