Dad sells son's 90-dollar video game online for more than 9000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Never say never - the Pokemon card lady is getting a book deal now. She has a blog & if you haven't read it, you should - she is HILARIOUS. Every now & then people do strike gold on Ebay. This guy probably struck a nerve.

Go Dad!!

Can I ask why a $90 game can sell for $9,000??? Are people really that impatient that they can't wait for the stores to get more in?

Some people have way too much money on hand, or really bad debt on their credit card.

Not necessarily too much money, IMO. Maybe there are special circumstances.

The new Wii's and games are IMPOSSIBLE to get. I have been trying for over a month.

I DO understand that there can be special circumstances which woud compel someone with a lot of disposable income to spring for as much as it takes to give your child/children something they want.

My son has been in the service and is going back to Iraq in April....this is the first time in 15 years ALL of our family has been together in the same place. I wanted to give my son the wii and also have it here for all of the kids to play with.

If I had a child with cancer or something like that and the child wanted that game, I understand a parent spending whatever it took to provide a last wish.

How much would a parent pay to give a beloved child a good last Christmas?

Anyway, I am giving my son the money for the new wii console at REGULAR price that it will be after Christmas because I can't force myself to pay the $100's of extra dollars they are going for now. I would spend SOME extra but NOT what the new Wii stuff is going for now.

BUT, I did want to defend whomever may have spent the $9,000 and also say it is possible for someone to have done it. Those new games and the new console are hard to come by and going for unbelievable prices.

And when emotions and love come into play, sometimes you do what it takes no matter what the price.

IMO

I approve of the dad selling the game after he caught his son smoking pot.

I approve of the dad selling the game after he caught his son smoking pot.

I'd probably have threatened to sell my son, as well. Mine is a zero tolerance household. I don't really know what I'd do - but I am doing everything a mom can do to never have to find out. I do know it would be overboard... like having her attend NA meetings for a year after trying it once. Something totally off the charts. I'm just THAT scared of my kid doing drugs. :-(

Wait...we have that game...I think I need to look into selling it. I can get 9,000 and wait till it comes out again......l

I just looked at the auction - judging by the identity of the buyer, I think it is probably someone with an eBay business that was trying to generate interest in its business by being the winning bidder at a high-profile auction. They probably thought that people would click through to see who they are/what types of things they have for sale, and hoped that people would buy from them.

That said, I doubt that the auction would draw enough Australian bidders (and potential purchasers) to justify the expense, and if other American eBayers are anything like me, they are also unlikely to buy from him - I prefer to buy my products from America-based buyers simply for shipping costs/time.

That said, I think it was a good idea and very creative and constructive parenting. :clap:

I wish I could make that kind of money in a few hours!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mine is also a zero tolerance household. That $9,000 would be spent on one on one counseling sessions-to get to the root of the problem. Even if the boy is just giving in to peer pressure that would show signs of low self esteem.

Mine is also a zero tolerance household. That $9,000 would be spent on one on one counseling sessions-to get to the root of the problem. Even if the boy is just giving in to peer pressure that would show signs of low self esteem.

Heh, what if the root of the problem is overbearing parents? What if there is no root of the problem, except that maybe smoking pot is fun? Many teens experiment with alcohol/drugs and many turn out just fine.

People need to stop calling pot a gateway drug (not saying that you are calling it this). Take a look at alcohol and cigarettes, and bad parenting first.

Heh, what if the root of the problem is overbearing parents? What if there is no root of the problem, except that maybe smoking pot is fun? Many teens experiment with alcohol/drugs and many turn out just fine.

People need to stop calling pot a gateway drug (not saying that you are calling it this). Take a look at alcohol and cigarettes, and bad parenting first.

I hate that too.

My sister says sugar is everyone's first drug and I type this while eating a delicious homemade chocolate chip cookie before dinner!!!

I'm not sure what my policy will be. DH and I are recovering addicts so my sons won't grow up in a house with drugs (knock on wood), but they will meet them eventually I am sure.

It's hard to envision myself as a no-tolerance parent when I was a try-anything teen! I just hope to keep the lines of communication open and honest. I think it's hilarious that this Dad did this - and certainly, it's well within his rights!

Well, this wouldn't be a news item if it were just a decimal error.

The article did say an Aussie bought it, so maybe there is a monetary conversion involved.

How about it, Aussie friends...what do you think of this ebay purchase? Maybe demand is that high there for these video games, or shipping costs were extremely high! :eek:

"The sale was a boon for the family's bank account, since the game the father purchased for 90 dollars (US) was finally sold to an Australian who plunked down 9,100 dollars for it."
9000 dollars is a lot of money in anyones language...this would have to be one very rich Aussie to be able to cough up that much for a video game...

I have zero tolerance for alcohol and cigarettes too. Bad parenting - well, I'm doing as best I know how. We'll have to see how it turns out.

But pot? At home? Um, not just no but HELL NO. I think this guy is brilliant. Hit 'em where it hurts so they remember it.

Pot may be fun, but it's also illegal and really dumb. You might experiment with alcohol and drugs and turn out okay (I did) or you might end up dead. But you're not going to do it with my permission.

I have zero tolerance for alcohol and cigarettes too. Bad parenting - well, I'm doing as best I know how. We'll have to see how it turns out.

But pot? At home? Um, not just no but HELL NO. I think this guy is brilliant. Hit 'em where it hurts so they remember it.

Pot may be fun, but it's also illegal and really dumb. You might experiment with alcohol and drugs and turn out okay (I did) or you might end up dead. But you're not going to do it with my permission.

My friends take a stance I find intriguing. They say to their teens - "All that stuff is illegal and we can't allow you to engage in illegal activity under our roof or we will get in trouble - when you're 21, those decisions will be your own." I guess my only concern is that I fear my teenage sons might be all about the cops throwing me in jail and getting me out of their hair!!

I just looked at the auction - judging by the identity of the buyer, I think it is probably someone with an eBay business that was trying to generate interest in its business by being the winning bidder at a high-profile auction. They probably thought that people would click through to see who they are/what types of things they have for sale, and hoped that people would buy from them.

That said, I doubt that the auction would draw enough Australian bidders (and potential purchasers) to justify the expense, and if other American eBayers are anything like me, they are also unlikely to buy from him - I prefer to buy my products from America-based buyers simply for shipping costs/time.

That said, I think it was a good idea and very creative and constructive parenting. :clap:

I've gotten some of my best ebay finds from Australia and always found the shipping costs to be very reasonable, especially when you figure the australian dollar is lower. My favorite was a diamond ring which I then took to a jeweler and had made into a custom made necklace, a very high quality diamond that I never could have afforded otherwise.

VB

My point is I don't think pot is any dumber than alcohol or nicotein. It's illegal as a matter of circumstance, not because it's particuarly worse than alcohol.

I respect your stance, especially about not allowing it at home and without your permission.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephenWiltshire
Back