Daryl Hall sues John Oates, takes out temporary restraining order

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ifindedout

Reaction score
Say it isn't so.
Little information about the lawsuit is publicly available, as the court documents are sealed, but based on court records, Hall filed an undisclosed complaint against Oates on Nov. 16, as well as a motion for a temporary restraining order, as reported by Philadelphia magazine. The following day, the court officially issued a temporary restraining order to begin Nov. 30.

[...]

As TMZ points out, Hall disparaged Oates on Bill Maher’s “Club Random” podcast last year, saying, “You think John Oates is my partner? … He’s my business partner. He’s not my creative partner.”

Say it isn't so.

Little information about the lawsuit is publicly available, as the court documents are sealed, but based on court records, Hall filed an undisclosed complaint against Oates on Nov. 16, as well as a motion for a temporary restraining order, as reported by Philadelphia magazine. The following day, the court officially issued a temporary restraining order to begin Nov. 30.

[...]

As TMZ points out, Hall disparaged Oates on Bill Maher’s “Club Random” podcast last year, saying, “You think John Oates is my partner? … He’s my business partner. He’s not my creative partner.”

I find it weird that the restraining order starts in the future. People filing restraining orders typically need them now, not in the future. I mean you can't schedule your stalker to wait a week before harassing you right? So is this normal for restraining orders? Or does he perhaps have one already that expires Nov. 29 and the new one will begin Nov.30th?

I guess Daryl and John "have lost that lovin feeling". I remember hearing those guys on the radio in my pre-school years in my moms car when they were popular in the first half of the 1980's. They did have a comeback song in 1988 with "Everything Your Heart Desires" after they didn't have a hit for a few years(1985-1987.) Hall and Oates popularity kind of paralleled "Duran Duran" (1981-1984) and "Kool and The Gang"(late 1970's-to the first half of 1987.) "Duran Duran" did have a couple hits in 1988 too.

At the heart of the lawsuit turns out to be a stake sale in their joint venture, Whole Oats Enterprises (Whole Oats was the title of their 1972 debut album).
A Nashville chancery court judge issued the temporary restraining order on Nov. 16, writing that Oates and others involved in his trust can't move to close the sale of their share of Whole Oats Enterprises LLP to Primary Wave IP Investment Management LLC until an arbitrator in a separately filed case weighs in on the deal, or until the judge's order expires — typically within 15 days, unless a judge extends the deadline.

[...]

Although the publicly released version of the lawsuit didn’t specify what’s at stake in the sale, Primary Wave has already owned "significant interest" in Hall and Oates’ song catalog for more than 15 years. In a 2021 interview with Sky News, Hall alluded to disappointment with the sale of his back catalog.

[...]

The lawsuit contends that Hall opened an arbitration process on Nov. 9 against Oates and the other defendants in the lawsuit, Oates' wife, Aimee Oates, and Richard Flynn, in their roles as co-trustees of Oates' trust. Hall was seeking an order preventing them from selling their part in Whole Oats Enterprises to Primary Wave Music.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — After more than a half-century of making music together, Daryl Hall is suing John Oates and arguing in arbitration that he can’t sell his share of a Hall & Oates business partnership without Hall’s permission.

Public court filings have revealed just how wide the rift has grown between the duo famous for hits in the 1970s and ’80s, including “Maneater,” “Rich Girl” “Kiss on My List” and “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do).”

Much more... "I can't go for that" and ( "no can do") at link: ;)

Updated 10:01 AM EST, December 7, 2023

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back