DC DC - Ian Solheim, 31, Teacher, Last seen in Lincoln Park, may be in crisis, 25 Jul 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Ian has been entered into NamUs

upload_2021-8-17_20-41-46.jpeg
32 yr old, white, male
6’3”
175-190lbs
Brown hair
Scruffy facial hair
Hazel eyes

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
Black backpack

Clothing
Button down pink long sleeve shirt

Clothing
Khaki shorts

Footwear
Black shoes

Last seen July 28 2021 in Washington DC

Circumstances of Disappearance
Missing since July 28, 2021

The lack of details entered under ‘Circumstances of Disappearance’ is discouraging to say the least, IMO.

The Aware Foundation shared a recent post on Ian; it appears he is still missing. :(

I wish there was an update of some sort or additional info shared (if there even is any to share) that may help in locating Ian.

Also his "get used to it" comment confuses me, unless he's making a pointed jab to one certain person, because he seems much loved and supported by his circle. I wonder if he ran into some bullying and it shook him up.

(rsbm)

For what it's worth, an organization called 'Queer Nation' popularized the chant, "We're here! We're Queer! Get used to it!" back in the 90's, as a rally cry at protests to eliminate homophobia and increase LGBT visibility.

Aside from that, no matter how much family support you may have, many people who identify as LGBTQIA+ face hate speech, homophobic and transphobic remarks and targeted microaggressions used to make us feel unsafe and unwelcome.

While we don't know the events that led to his disappearance, being a victim of a hate crime based on identity is not out of the question, IMO. If he was having a mental health episode, this could have made him even more vulnerable to an identity-based attack.

Hoping for the best outcome for Ian and his family.

I don't know much about IG - does the 7/28 mean it was posted after he went missing?

Login • Instagram

Login • Instagram

I asked the same thing in a previous post (I too don’t know much about Instagram).
@infinit replied, sharing that it means it was posted on 7/28...so after the ‘last seen’ date.

While I believe his last instagram post was made on 8/28, instagram does have a feature that allows you to schedule posts for a future date/time.

For instance, if I had a large following and wanted to keep my followers engaged, I could setup my account to make a post every 2 days. During that time, I wouldn't even have to physically pick up my phone, the photos would post themselves at pre-selected intervals.

Now, I do not believe IS was doing anything like that, but it's a feature that can lead to questions about the last time someone was seen/heard from/last had access to a phone/social media or the internet. Instagram post dates should be taken with a grain of salt. MOO.

Hi, folks. I am new to WebSleuths, but as a LordanArts fan, I've heard a lot of good things about the community. I'm particularly interested to learn about, and learn how to help with, cases in the Washington, DC area, where I live.

There are missing flyers for Ian posted in my (physical) community, which is how I learned about him. Based on this thread, concerned volunteers were actively searching for him several weeks ago. There was a spreadsheet used for organizing the searches that posters here could not link to, and which I couldn't find on my own. Does anyone know if regular people are still searching? Is the spreadsheet still out there, and if so, where?

I've visited Ian's Facebook page, where his mother made a couple of posts, but there doesn't seem to be much activity there anymore. Questions by commenters about the status of the case are going unanswered. If there is active discussion about this case and the search, I don't know where it is. :(

Perhaps there isn't anything that I can do at this point, especially given how long Ian has been missing now. That said, I wanted to reach out and see if there is, just in case.

Thank you all for caring about this case.

-- DC Brit

K.L.'s reply to DCPD's tweet is very interesting, imo. I've not found any updates about Ian. I hope he is okay. MOO

That sure is interesting. I, too, hope he’s okay.
ETA, if this info panned out, I’m surprised Ian is still missing.
This was not Ian, confirmed by the Secret Service soon after it occurred. Also, the man in this video seems to have a long beard (if I'm not mistaken). Ian does not.

Missing DC teacher called his mother in crisis before he vanished, family says

Video of him singing & playing guitar at link above.

Ian Solheim vanished on Sunday, July 25 and police fear he may need medical attention.

Solheim’s dad told WUSA9 his son has been battling depression and he was going through some sort of unexplained crisis when he disappeared more than a week ago.

“He just brings lots of joy to people with his guitar playing. He's just a personality that brings people together,” Mark Solheim said.

Ian’s personality and ability to bring joy through music is why Mark Solheim said it was unexpected when his son vanished.

“He called his mother who was here in D.C. on Wednesday morning and said that he was in crisis,” Mark Solheim recalled.

However, Ian was gone by the time his mother got to where he was to check on him.

To Note:
•A missing D.C. teacher’s family and friends are hoping to shine new light on his case. Ian Solheim disappeared three months ago after family members explained he went through a mental health crisis.
•According to his mother, he struggled with depression and anxiety his entire life, and thinks COVID really just exacerbated everything
•he was going through an unexplained mental health crisis when he vanished.
•Ian was last seen near Lincoln Park

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back