DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm way behind you guys in catching up to this thread and forgive me if this has already been said, but just want to point out that New Carrollton is a point of access to lots of public transportation possibilities: Amtrak, MARC (DC-Baltimore-Frederick), and loads of various buses that go to cities Northeast of DC - Philly, NYC, New Haven, Hartford, Springfield, Boston, Concord - and Northwest - Allentown, Morgantown, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, etc. etc. Also, can take routes South to link up to VRE (Virginia Rail Express) or other points of access. And of course the metro (though I doubt the perps would be needing that mode of transport at the moment). In my opinion, mostly because I'm familiar with the region, the suspects going to New Carrollton makes a lot of sense to me if they needed to get out of the DC metro area fast, cheaply, and able to travel undetected.

Point well taken.

Ok I understand. The suspect played nice guy and someone invited him in. Wow

What we don't know is who usually answered the front door when a housekeeper was present but the police probably know by now.

JMO

Exactly. The phone was dead? As in battery was dead? I'm sure that house had chargers. It's very strange, imo, that SS made the call rather than the housekeeper "whose phone was dead."

IMO

Maybe the housekeeper was already dead?

Family was comfortable with the suspect, to the point that he was able to take them hostage without an additional party. Text message was suspicious, surprise there. Accelerant used in the fire will illuminate if it was premeditated.

Where did you get this idea? Police think there was more than one perp involved.

My point is that we do not know that the dead housekeeper was stressed.

JMO

It's true we're hearing it second hand, but I can understand her stress. Washington DC is a stressful place! As she got older and her kids were established and didn't need the money she sent home to them anymore, I think she longed for a quieter life at a slower pace in the beautiful place of her childhood.

And, the house was big to take care of, even if she had help from other housekeepers. The family was known to entertain frequently, and that's a lot of work.

I'm so sad she wasn't able to end her life as she dreamed.

It's true we're hearing it second hand, but I can understand her stress. Washington DC is a stressful place! As she got older and her kids were established and didn't need the money she sent home to them anymore, I think she longed for a quieter life at a slower pace in the beautiful place of her childhood.

And, the house was big to take care of, even if she had help from other housekeepers. The family was known to entertain frequently, and that's a lot of work.

I'm so sad she wasn't able to end her life as she dreamed.

Whatever her stress level may have been is irrelevant yet it was brought up by a co-worker in comments about the death of her and their employers. It's a hinky comment to make and the still alive housekeeper has made several.

JMO

Whatever her stress level may have been is irrelevant yet it was brought up by a co-worker in comments about the death of her and their employers. It's a hinky comment to make and the still alive housekeeper has made several.

JMO

I'll agree with you that it doesn't matter to the case. She didn't deserve to die whether she was stressed or not.

Not sure I agree that the comment was hinky though...but could be.

From the above article the deceased housekeeper told the other (her boss apparently) that she planned to be finished at 3pm Wednesday. So whatever happened, started before 3pm?

I won't get into why NG wouldn't have thought it really weird that she was staying overnight if "she allowed her to work at the home with her" and she was supposed to be done at 3

I don't think this has been posted yet? Second vid is another interview with NG. She discusses husband of dead housekeeper going to the home looking for his wife, also discusses text from dead housekeeper on Wednesday. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html

Calls definitely made under duress by the sounds of that. Thanks for posting. Also voicemails not picked up until the next morning, which is why Vera's husband went around to the house, also did I hear that right .. did SS call Vera's husband while he was actually at the house looking for her?

I don't think this has been posted yet? Second vid is another interview with NG. She discusses husband of dead housekeeper going to the home looking for his wife, also discusses text from dead housekeeper on Wednesday. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html
Ok .... Vera is supposed to be off early Wednesday afternoon but doesn't go home. Her husband doesn't go looking for her until 9 the next morning? Weird.

And then when he gets there he speaks with SS???? Who tells him Vera is fine and Vera's husband accepts this after not hearing from his wife since the previous day? Weird.

This is in the video

Calls definitely made under duress by the sounds of that. Thanks for posting. Also voicemails not picked up until the next morning, which is why Vera's husband went around to the house, also did I hear that right .. did SS call Vera's husband while he was actually at the house looking for her?
What I heard was Vera's husband knocked on the front door and got a sense that someone was standing on the inside of the door but not answering. So he went around to the side or kitchen door where he encountered SS. SS said I'm sorry I forgot to call you last night but Vera is fine.

Okay, this explains why the text "from Amy" happened when it seemed unnecessary.

SS left voicemail Wednesday that the housekeeper Vera was staying overnight but phone was dead. He asked Nelly to call Vera's husband.

Nelly didn't pick up the voicemail until Thursday so husband never received it.

Husband knocks on the front door Thursday morning, thinks someone is behind it. No one answered the door so husband walks around the house. SS calls husband to explain Vera is inside and fine. (Weird that the husband would accept that and leave, but that appears to be the case.)

Nelly then receives text message "from Amy." I think they sent this text because the perps really wanted to make sure, double sure, that they wouldn't be getting another knock....except perhaps the anticipated knock from SS's assistant delivering the package??

jmo.

ETA: And since Nelly wouldn't have to knock but could just walk in, I assume, with keys, they really wanted to make sure she got the message "you do not come today."

That sounds right Inthedetails, thanks for putting that together.

I think the whole text / voicemail / home visits thing makes more sense now. Also I can actually imagine a workers husband taking what her boss said at face value, I can't understand him not wanting to know why he was only finding out that morning, but perhaps he is more of a timid type of person than I am, also many people are intimidated by wealthy people (especially ones who employ their spouse) and so he may have just been subservient to SS on impulse when he was actually still uncomfortable with the whole situation.

From the above article the deceased housekeeper told the other (her boss apparently) that she planned to be finished at 3pm Wednesday. So whatever happened, started before 3pm?

I won't get into why NG wouldn't have thought it really weird that she was staying overnight if "she allowed her to work at the home with her" and she was supposed to be done at 3

There is an NG LinkedIn account in the MD area and she has her own cleaning company, so maybe VF was her employee. Maybe she supervised a cleaning crew at the martial arts studio.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html

Nelly, who didn't want her full name used, owns her own cleaning company and worked for the family for more than two decades. Nelly allowed Figueroa to work with her at the Savopoulos family's home.

That sounds right Inthedetails, thanks for putting that together.

I think the whole text / voicemail / home visits thing makes more sense now. Also I can actually imagine a workers husband taking what her boss said at face value, I can't understand him not wanting to know why he was only finding out that morning, but perhaps he is more of a timid type of person than I am, also many people are intimidated by wealthy people (especially ones who employ their spouse) and so he may have just been subservient to SS on impulse when he was actually still uncomfortable with the whole situation.

I think it also means that Vera was still alive Thursday morning? How would SS know her husband's phone number to call him, unless he called from Vera's phone, which was supposedly dead. ?? Then again, why didn't Vera call him and say, "I'm working, I'm fine." Maybe she was gone by then after all.

IDK.

A few questions that maybe someone can answer -

Other than the Porsche, has it been reported if anything else was missing from the home? I'm trying to evaluate what the likelihood of the motive being robbery is.

Is there ANY chance this could be a murder/suicide? I hate to go there, but
it has crossed my mind. Still not sure how it would fit with the stolen car and all that though.

Who called this in to 911? Who discovered the bodies and crime scene?

There is an NG LinkedIn account in the MD area and she has her own cleaning company, so maybe VF was her employee.

Yes, that's the way I understand it, NG owned the cleaning company and VF was her employee.

I think it also means that Vera was still alive Thursday morning? How would SS know her husband's phone number to call him, unless he called from Vera's phone, which was supposedly dead. ?? Then again, why didn't Vera call him and say, "I'm working, I'm fine." Maybe she was gone by then after all.

IDK.

Or the perp only trusted SS not to freak out and start crying on the phone as he'd already proven himself capable of emotional restraint?

This whole thing sucks .. I can't stand all the 'what ifs' .. Can't imagine what the girls are going through, so godawful.

A few questions that maybe someone can answer -

Other than the Porsche, has it been reported if anything else was missing from the home? I'm trying to evaluate what the likelihood of the motive being robbery is.

Is there ANY chance this could be a murder/suicide? I hate to go there, but
it has crossed my mind. Still not sure how it would fit with the stolen car and all that though.

Who called this in to 911? Who discovered the bodies and crime scene?

I'll answer as best I can -

Other than the Porsche, we learned a day or so ago that things were missing from the house. No mention of what. Today (5/18) we learned that SS gave the intruders what they wanted, but we don't know what that is.

I don't see how it could possibly be a murder/suicide with a torched car found 17 miles away after the house was torched and someone was seen on video who is named POI.

I don't know who called 911, but firefighters found the four bodies. A witness says one victim received CPR.

Correct any mistakes I made, WSers!

Yes, that's the way I understand it, NG owned the cleaning company and VF was her employee.

Or the perp only trusted SS not to freak out and start crying on the phone as he'd already proven himself capable of emotional restraint?

This whole thing sucks .. I can't stand all the 'what ifs' .. Can't imagine what the girls are going through, so godawful.

Yes, you're right that Vera wouldn't have been able to make that phone call to her husband without falling apart, if she was even still alive at that point. Heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seasonofthewolf