DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The part of the tow truck driver’s story that sticks out IMO is lack of blood or gasoline traces on DW shortly after the murders and gas-fueled fire.

But the dump site of the Porsche was just beside the apt complex where DW’s sister lived, so he could’ve walked over there & changed clothes / taken a quick shower.

Tow truck entered DC at NY Ave & Montana Ave at 2:25 - that location is 7.5 miles from S car dump site, likely about a 10-15 min drive at that time of day. I can’t find clear info on when the S car was spotted en route to the dump site but IIRC it was 1:15-30(?). Not a lot of time for DW to wash up but probably enough IMO.

As for the minivan’s burning -
“... investigators found a minivan with a connection to Wint on fire in the days after the murders. The blue 2002 Ford Windstar van was also found in Prince George's County, just a three-minute drive from the business where Daron Wint once worked, American Iron Works, where Savvas Savopoulos was the CEO.”

Car Linked to Mansion Murders Suspect Was Also Found Torched

The part of the tow truck driver’s story that sticks out IMO is lack of blood or gasoline traces on DW shortly after the murders and gas-fueled fire.

But the dump site of the Porsche was just beside the apt complex where DW’s sister lived, so he could’ve walked over there & changed clothes / taken a quick shower.

Tow truck entered DC at NY Ave & Montana Ave at 2:25 - that location is 7.5 miles from S car dump site, likely about a 10-15 min drive at that time of day. I can’t find clear info on when the S car was spotted en route to the dump site but IIRC it was 1:15-30(?). Not a lot of time for DW to wash up but probably enough IMO.

“... investigators found a minivan with a connection to Wint on fire in the days after the murders. The blue 2002 Ford Windstar van was also found in Prince George's County, just a three-minute drive from the business where Daron Wint once worked, American Iron Works, where Savvas Savopoulos was the CEO.”

I wonder about the location where the minivan was parked. Any significance to it? Does he know anyone in that neighborhood? Walkable to mansion?

Did he flag down the tow truck as a random encounter or did he call the tow truck.

I find this new detail confusing.

jmo

I wonder about the location where the minivan was parked. Any significance to it? Does he know anyone in that neighborhood? Walkable to mansion?

Did he flag down the tow truck as a random encounter or did he call the tow truck.

I find this new detail confusing.

jmo

“Douglas Ventura, who owns a towing company, told jurors he was approached by a man on Annapolis Road in Lanham, Maryland, who asked for a ride into D.C. to pick up a minivan that had been parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. near George Washington University.”
BBM

Minivan park spot is about 2 miles from S home - definitely walkable, though would take like 45 min.

Also worth noting that minivan was parked near Foggy Bottom metro stop - served by the orange line, which also goes to the New Carrollton stop near the S Porsche dump / DW sister apt complex.

So the tow driver towed DW’s minivan back to near DW sister’s home ... did DW ride with him??

“Douglas Ventura, who owns a towing company, told jurors he was approached by a man on Annapolis Road in Lanham, Maryland, who asked for a ride into D.C. to pick up a minivan that had been parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. near George Washington University.”
BBM

Minivan park spot is about 2 miles from S home - definitely walkable, though would take like 45 min.

Also worth noting that minivan was parked near Foggy Bottom metro stop - served by the orange line, which also goes to the New Carrollton stop near the S Porsche dump / DW sister apt complex.

So the tow driver towed DW’s minivan back to near DW sister’s home ... did DW ride with him??
Oh, for pete's sake, I got the address wrong. I'm going to edit/delete my posts.

Gimme some coffee, please.

jmo

BBM

Anyone have good mapping skills??

I am visual (but I'm also messing up maps today!) - would be nice to see a map with the minivan location, mansion, Amy's burned car, Wint family residence, and location where the tow driver picked up who we assume was Daron.

ETA - sorry, got swamped with something else! Will try to get to this later-

I am local so will try to make map - note that some locations are just name of a long street! but I’ll mark where street intersects with known facts

Last edited:
delete. wrong info
I think you can actually DELETE your post, which will remove the post from the thread.
On this thread, I have a DELETE option after posting my comment.
I've not noticed this DELETE option on any other thread where I post.
The Delete option is at bottom left below the comment, between the Edit and Report option:
SeesSeas, 1 minute ago Edit Delete Report

Last edited:
I think you can actually DELETE your post, which will remove the post from the thread.
On this thread, I have a DELETE option after posting my comment.
I've not noticed this DELETE option on any other thread where I post.
The Delete option is at bottom left below the comment, between the Edit and Report option:
SeesSeas, 1 minute ago Edit Delete Report
Edit and Delete options are available for one hour after posting comment.

All of the drives below are 30-40 minutes, assuming no major traffic. The drives all occurred mid-day, pre-rush hour, so I would guess there was light traffic at that time on the 14th.

May 14 -
Tow-truck driver drove man (DW?) from Lanham, MD to DC to pick up minivan - about 2:00 PM ?
Tow-truck driver's truck entered D.C. via New York Avenue and Montana Avenue at 2:25 PM
Porsche found on fire in Lanham, MD about 5:30 PM

Anyone local who can assist with travel times?
SS home to Lanham, MD
Lanham, MD to DC near George Washington University
DC back to Lanham, MD

According to WTOP, the tow-truck driver drove a man (DW?) from Lanham, MD into DC to pick up a minivan.
> asked for a ride into D.C. to pick up a minivan that had been parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. near George Washington University.
> a D.C. traffic camera picked up the driver's truck entering D.C. via New York Avenue and Montana Avenue at 2:25 p.m. on May 14
> The driver told jurors he towed the car back to the same area where he picked up the passenger.
> a blue Porsche, which belonged to the family, was found set ablaze in a parking lot in Lanham, Maryland. The parking lot is near 85th Avenue where Daron Wint, the man charged with the killings, and several family members lived.
> The car was found on fire at about 5:30 p.m. on May 14. Earlier that afternoon, a witness reported to police seeing the car being driven erratically by a black man with short, well-groomed hair wearing a green construction vest.

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Sept. 24, 2018 -- Day 7: 'Is Faron call me now. Need to talk.'

A tow-truck driver testified Monday about an encounter he had with a man he picked up near where the Savopoulos' blue Porsche was found burning on May 14, 2015.

Douglas Ventura, who owns a towing company, told jurors he was approached by a man on Annapolis Road in Lanham, Maryland, who asked for a ride into D.C. to pick up a minivan that had been parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. near George Washington University.

The tow-truck driver said he doesn't remember the passenger's age only that he was a dark-skinned man. Speaking through a translater, the driver said even if he saw that passenger today, he couldn't ID him. The driver also said he didn't see any blood on the man's clothes or smell gasoline.

Although the driver worked for AAA, there's no record of the towing, because it wasn't placed through the service, he told jurors.
Still, a D.C. traffic camera picked up the driver's truck entering D.C. via New York Avenue and Montana Avenue at 2:25 p.m. on May 14 -- about an hour after firefighters received the first report of the Savopoulos house being on fire.

Ventura testified the man asked to use the his phone, which he used to make calls and send text messages. According to call and text records, the man made 10 calls from the driver's phone to different numbers, all of which apparently went unanswered. Phone records show a text message sent from the tow-truck driver's phone: "Is Faron call me now. Need to talk." The person on the other end of the text message responded "yo." (Note: That name is not a typo; that's the exact transcription of the text message shown in court)

The driver told jurors he towed the car back to the same area where he picked up the passenger.

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Sept. 24, 2018 -- Day 7: The burning Porsche

Hours after three members of the Savopoulos family and their housekeepers were killed, a blue Porsche, which belonged to the family, was found set ablaze in a parking lot in Lanham, Maryland. The parking lot is near 85th Avenue where Daron Wint, the man charged with the killings, and several family members lived.
[...]
The car was found on fire at about 5:30 p.m. on May 14. Earlier that afternoon, a witness reported to police seeing the car being driven erratically by a black man with short, well-groomed hair wearing a green construction vest, according to previous police affidavits. However, Daron Wint has shoulder-length dreadlocks-style hair.

Inside the Porsche, on the driver's-side floor, investigators found one of the green vests, Norris said. (Investigators later said they found Wint's DNA on that vest).

Norris said he doesn't know what time the fire started but in his estimation, the car was on fire less than 15 minutes before firefighters arrived.

Very curious going to AIW afterwards, which I wonder if that's what it was really about. I wonder if anyone checked to see if the same MO that was done at the S house was also done at AIW - seeing if there's missing footage, that the system was disabled, if SS was shown logging in after he was deceased, etc. - since whoever was involved could now have had all of SS's security codes/keys/badges/etc. Someone could have gone in there when no one was around using SS's security info to then go and steal something that wasn't obvious or even known about by others, like perhaps incriminating documents that were either on paper or say a flash drive at his desk.

Imo I imagine that DW has sat in jail for 3 years and amused himself by refusing to give LE a word of info.

But now at trial no reason to withhold anymore so he just tells the truth about his co-conspirators IMO. I mean if he wants to falsely accuse someone of involvement, why would he pick his own brothers?

As to leadership, I imagine DW in a more primary role since he has past connection to victim SS and history of absurd violent streak. MOO speculation

Why would he accuse his own brothers?

I can think of a few big reasons. One, he and his brothers were found together, after the crime, cruising around in a work truck full of cash/loot. His brothers had large cashiers checks on them too, IIRC.

And the hair follicles and DNA would be easier to pin on close relatives, like brothers, than random strangers.

His brothers may look enough like him to be confused with him by eye witnesses and they also have criminal records so there's that.

Also, he has a history of blaming things on his brother. He had been arrested in the past, and used his brothers name, and ID. So there is confusion right there, working in is favor.

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 18h18 hours ago
Heard from tow truck driver who said a man approached him in New Carrollton(near where burned Porsche was)asking for a ride to DC to get his mini van http://towed.Man used drivers phone.NEWS4 reported Daron Wint owned a blue mini van. Court resumes tom am. #MansionMurders

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 2h2 hours ago
DAY 11 of #MansionMurders trial. Detective w US Park Pokice on witness stand discussing easy& quick paths to take from where Porsche was burned & apt complex where Wint’s fam lived. Jurors also saw video showing the Porsche leaving DC before it was set on fire in PG Co.

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 9m9 minutes ago
Stepmother of Darron Wint was on the witness stand. She told jurors Darron was living with her and his dad in May 2015. Didn’t see him on May 13 (day family held hostage). Next time she saw him was May 14 at 6p. More on her testimony tonight at 5 @nbcwashington #MansionMurders

Why would he accuse his own brothers?

I can think of a few big reasons. One, he and his brothers were found together, after the crime, cruising around in a work truck full of cash/loot. His brothers had large cashiers checks on them too, IIRC.

And the hair follicles and DNA would be easier to pin on close relatives, like brothers, than random strangers.

His brothers may look enough like him to be confused with him by eye witnesses and they also have criminal records so there's that.

Also, he has a history of blaming things on his brother. He had been arrested in the past, and used his brothers name, and ID. So there is confusion right there, working in is favor.

I think the fact he has tried to blame his brother even before this will not bode well for Wint.

He certainly has no brotherly bond with his sibling. It's not normal to try to get ones own sibling blamed for a criminal act he knew he had done himself.

It shows he will go to any lengths to blame others for his own wrongdoing.

Imo Wint has no emotional feelings or attachments for anyone other than himself.

Blaming his brothers for the horrific crimes he committed means nothing to him. What means everything to him even going to this bizarre level is..he feels entitled to use anyone trying to skirt his own responsibility.

Wint will throw anyone under the bus if he thinks it's advantageous to him to do so.

It's who he is. Stone cold with no feelings for how he hurts those he already knows had nothing to do with this.

His brothers had a purpose and that is why he contacted them afterwards to exchange most of his blood money into money orders for him. They were simply tools used to get what he wanted.

Jmo

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 18h18 hours ago
Heard from tow truck driver who said a man approached him in New Carrollton(near where burned Porsche was)asking for a ride to DC to get his mini van http://towed.Man used drivers phone.NEWS4 reported Daron Wint owned a blue mini van. Court resumes tom am. #MansionMurders

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 2h2 hours ago
DAY 11 of #MansionMurders trial. Detective w US Park Pokice on witness stand discussing easy& quick paths to take from where Porsche was burned & apt complex where Wint’s fam lived. Jurors also saw video showing the Porsche leaving DC before it was set on fire in PG Co.

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 9m9 minutes ago
Stepmother of Darron Wint was on the witness stand. She told jurors Darron was living with her and his dad in May 2015. Didn’t see him on May 13 (day family held hostage). Next time she saw him was May 14 at 6p. More on her testimony tonight at 5 @nbcwashington #MansionMurders

The walls of justice are closing in on Wint each and every day.

It will only become worse as the days go by.

From Keith Alexander at the Washington Post—-
40 minutes ago

“Prosecutor played Walmart security video that showed Daron Wint and his brother Darrell buying items around 11:25 pm on May 14 hours after the 4 bodies discovered. Daron, who did not hav a job, pulls out multiple bills to pay. Even gives money to his brother. #MansionMurders

"A tow truck operator said a man approached him about the time of the fire in a nearby parking lot. The man asked him for a ride into D.C. to retrieve his stalled minivan. Wint had a minivan at the time.

"The man asked the tow truck operator to use his phone.

"The prosecution pointed to the numbers dialed and texted. They apparently are those of various members of the Wint family*."

DNA takes center stage in 'Mansion Murders' trial

*The reporter in the video included with the above link indicated that while the tow-truck driver was being questioned, the prosecutor stated the calls were made to Wint family members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1