GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was reported that DW’s van was torched near AIW but apparently that’s not the only thing nearby - sounds like maybe the choice of location had nothing to do with AIW:

“About the location where Wint's burning van was found: Apparently, it's an area of Prince George's County known to authorities as a place where people abandon their cars and set them on fire. It's also, according to prosecutors, near a metalworking plant where Wint worked several years before the killings.”

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

ETA link

It was reported that DW’s van was torched near AIW but apparently that’s not the only thing nearby - sounds like maybe the choice of location had nothing to do with AIW:

“About the location where Wint's burning van was found: Apparently, it's an area of Prince George's County known to authorities as a place where people abandon their cars and set them on fire. It's also, according to prosecutors, near a metalworking plant where Wint worked several years before the killings.”

ETA link
This makes sense to me. Thanks for pointing it out. For the moment, unless other evidence says differently, I think the van burning location was chosen because that's the place to go to burn vans and the proximity to AIW is a red herring.

jmo with what we know now

Yes, and I suppose that was a smart move, however, why were they held, beaten, tortured for 10+ hours? I cannot imagine he refused to give DW the $40,000.00 that he wanted immediately, if not once the torture started!
It is rather surprising the DW didn’t have a gun in his possession. It just does make sense that one man, unarmed, broke into a multimillion dollar home, which one would assume would have a security system, asked for $40K and managed to bound up four people and then after getting the money, burned the house down! It just doesn’t make sense. IMO he had help. Unless of course, he had the wife duct tape the husband, and the maid to the chairs while he held the sword to Phillip’s neck. Then Phillip and then he duct taped her. Someone else brought the gas cans, and someone else ate the pizza. It’s just a horrid, brutal, heartless and puzzling crime. I pray justice is done.
BBM

My hunch is that DW assumed that rich people have cash at their easy disposal. He didn't realize that SS couldn't just withdraw a big amount of money in cash from the bank. DW showed up at the house in the afternoon and SS didn't arrive until after banks were closed for the business day. I don't think DW intended to stay overnight with the family, but had to wait until morning when SS could arrange the withdrawal. My further hunch is that DW did indeed want more than $40K and when he figured out he couldn't get more without an even longer wait at the house, he took out his frustration and anger on the family. I suspect the victims were hurt before that time, but the torture began AFTER the money was dropped off. I think during the whole ordeal, SS expected help to arrive.

My theory only, speculation.

jmo

Eta: welcome to the case.

Last edited:
Do you think DW and his accomplices, if he had any, wore those white Tyvek coveralls you can buy at Home Depot for less than $15??

JMO and wondering...
This is a very good idea. DW was seen later wearing a white shirt, IIRC. Perhaps it stayed white because he had on coveralls. Could be. Good thinking.

jmo

1. Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 28m28 minutes ago
    Steffan Wint just called to the witness stand #MansionMurders trial.
  2. Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 33m33 minutes ago
    Week 4 of #MansionMurders trial. Prosecutors expected to call Steffan Wint to the witness stand to testify, brother of suspect Daron Wint. Defense argues Steffan helped in the murders. FBI forensic examiner on stand now discussing hair recovered from Mansion.
This will be interesting testimony.

jmo

BBM

My hunch is that DW assumed that rich people have cash at their easy disposal. He didn't realize that SS couldn't just withdraw a big amount of money in cash from the bank. DW showed up at the house in the afternoon and SS didn't arrive until after banks were closed for the business day. I don't think DW intended to stay overnight with the family, but had to wait until morning when SS could arrange the withdrawal. My further hunch is that DW did indeed want more than $40K and when he figured out he couldn't get more without an even longer wait at the house, he took out his frustration and anger on the family. I suspect the victims were hurt before that time, but at the torture began AFTER the money was dropped off. I think during the whole ordeal, SS expected help to arrive.

My theory only, speculation.

jmo

Eta: welcome to the case.
Thank you!

1. Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 28m28 minutes ago
    Steffan Wint just called to the witness stand #MansionMurders trial.
  2. Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC 33m33 minutes ago
    Week 4 of #MansionMurders trial. Prosecutors expected to call Steffan Wint to the witness stand to testify, brother of suspect Daron Wint. Defense argues Steffan helped in the murders. FBI forensic examiner on stand now discussing hair recovered from Mansion.
I hope the courtroom artist is sketching today. I’d like to see if DW and SW and DarrW look a lot alike..

JMO

Paul Wagner‏Verified account @Fox5Wagner
Brother of Daron Wint, Stefon, being grilled on stand by defense which has accused him of taking part in murders. He says he had nothing to do with it - was working on 13th & 14th supervising painting crew at GWU. Admits hair found in house cannot be ruled out as his or Daron’s.
10:19 AM - 1 Oct 2018

Brother of Daron Wint, Stefon, being grilled on stand by defense which has accused him of taking part in murders. He says he had nothing to do with it - was working on 13th & 14th supervising painting crew at GWU. Admits hair found in house cannot be ruled out as his or Daron’s.

Well, a painting truck wouldn’t be out of place in any neighborhood during normal hours. Did he work for a large painting contractor??

JMO

And hair falls out of a person’s head often. Why no hair? Did DW vacuum the S house and take the vacuum contents with him? “It’s normal to shed between 50 and 100 hairs a day.” -American Academy of Dermatology

Mansion Murders: Prosecutors and defense argue about hair DNA evidence
As Michaud was discussing the scientific difference between hairs found on arms, legs and heads, public defender Judy Pipe objected.

During a long and vigorous bench conference, it was clear the prosecution was going to have Michaud testify there was in the evidence, “a human head hair that originated from an African American.”

Pipe argued that the defense was not made aware of this specific testimony and therefore was not able to rebut.

Prosecutor Laura Bach fired back, “It’s there! They have it. They should have read the reports!”
Noting that the hair could be a key piece of evidence, Judge Juliet McKenna said she wanted to proceed with caution.

This makes sense to me. Thanks for pointing it out. For the moment, unless other evidence says differently, I think the van burning location was chosen because that's the place to go to burn vans and the proximity to AIW is a red herring.
jmo with what we know now
Car Linked to Mansion Murders Suspect Was Also Found Torched
The blue 2002 Ford Windstar van was also found in Prince George's County, just a three-minute drive from the business where Daron Wint once worked, American Iron Works, where Savvas Savopoulos was the CEO. Prosecutors wrote in court records that police had arrested Wint while driving that same minivan less than two months before the murders. "When we see the second vehicle was burned just like the first vehicle, that stuff starts to add up," said Van Zandt.

If there had been a painting contacting truck on that street during the home invasion, we would have heard about that already.
The brother says he had a job painting at George Washington University. For local, or anyone familiar with D.C., how far of a drive is it between GWU and the mansion? Is it walkable? How far is the campus from where DW parked his van?

And what were the hours he worked? The crime began in the afternoon and then overnight. Surely he doesn't work at the painting job around the clock.

jmo

Keith L. Alexander‏Verified account @keithlalexander
Keith L. Alexander Retweeted Keith L. Alexander

Correction. Steffon W. is Daron Wint’s full brother. Darrell W. is Daron’s half brother. This detail is critical re:DNA. Will explain in full story. Keith L. Alexander added,

Daron Wint’s half brother Stefon, one of 2 two brothers Daron said was responsible for the quadruple slayings, is sked to take the witness stand today, but as a prosecution witness. #MansionMurders. #Savopoulos.

6:56 AM - 1 Oct 2018

Prosecutors in quadruple murder case trial told judge their case is moving quicker than they had expected and could actually end up resting by Thurs. Oct. 4. But defense attorneys says they find that timing unrealistic based on their planned cross of witnesses. #MansionMurders.

1:47 PM - 26 Sep 2018

Prosecutor played Walmart security video that showed Daron Wint and his brother Darrell buying items around 11:25 pm on May 14 hours after the 4 bodies discovered. Daron, who did not hav a job, pulls out multiple bills to pay. Even gives money to his brother. #MansionMurders

10:59 AM - 25 Sep 2018

The brother says he had a job painting at George Washington University. For local, or anyone familiar with D.C., how far of a drive is it between GWU and the mansion? Is it walkable? How far is the campus from where DW parked his van?

And what were the hours he worked? The crime began in the afternoon and then overnight. Surely he doesn't work at the painting job around the clock.

jmo

7 min (2.0 mi) via Rock Creek and Potomac Pkwy NW
Directions

8 min (1.5 mi) via Massachusetts Ave NW and 23rd St NW

GWU is where DW's van was parked and where the tow truck driver took DW to:

"Douglas Ventura, who owns a towing company, told jurors he was approached by a man on Annapolis Road in Lanham, Maryland, who asked for a ride into D.C. to pick up a minivan that had been parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. near George Washington University."

Edited to remove my confusion over dates/street names. It might be coincidental that his brother was working near where DWs van was, but I still think that's interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member