GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone back and forth about this. I don't think Steffon was involved at all, and I'm not sure that they didn't investigate him. He kicked DW out on 4/1 - the official reason was an argument over dishes, but I have heard it had to do with DW assaulting his younger sister. Also the 3/23 incident where DW gave the police Steffon's name. I don't think these 2 were very close in May, 2015.

As far as Darrell, I believe they did investigate him although I admit it's troubling they didn't pull his texts. They showed a lot of phone records yesterday of DW making multiple calls to Darrell's phone - always the same phone number - with not a lot of call back from Darrell. I believe Darrell helped after the fact but I don't think he had anything to do with planning murders or break in. My sense is that DW was kind of a nuisance to Darrell, who was wrapped up in his own stuff. Just my opinion though.

Actually I agree with you on this. I believe daron did these crimes and got darrell involved to help him after. I always wondered If darrell wanted some of that money. He was seen with daron at Walmart on the evening of the 14 and daron wasn't arrested until the 21. I wasn't clear on when darrel said he realized that they were after daron do you know if they said that in the trail. I did do a money trial it seemed to me most of the money was recovered accept for about 5,000. I don't know, like I said I don't think Darrel murdered anyone but something doesn't sit right with me.

What kid stays in his formal school uniform at home?? None that I ever knew.
JMO
So did the hostage taking start earlier than many of us have believed?

JMO
Poor PS probably didn't have time to change. They allegedly arrived home from doc appointment, and he stayed with Vera while Mum went on walk for coffee. I believe DW entered home when only PS and Vera inside the home. I think timeline is the same. MOO

Stephanie Ramirez‏Verified account @RamirezReports
It’s official. The jury now has the case and will decide whether Daron Wint is guilty or not guilty in the torture & murder of Savvas Savopoulos, Amy, Philip & Vera Figueroa ⁦@wusa9#MansionMurders

DqNLqOdV4AAEmuE.jpg

9:22 AM - 23 Oct 2018

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth about this. I don't think Steffon was involved at all, and I'm not sure that they didn't investigate him. He kicked DW out on 4/1 - the official reason was an argument over dishes, but I have heard it had to do with DW assaulting his younger sister. Also the 3/23 incident where DW gave the police Steffon's name. I don't think these 2 were very close in May, 2015.

As far as Darrell, I believe they did investigate him although I admit it's troubling they didn't pull his texts. They showed a lot of phone records yesterday of DW making multiple calls to Darrell's phone - always the same phone number - with not a lot of call back from Darrell. I believe Darrell helped after the fact but I don't think he had anything to do with planning murders or break in. My sense is that DW was kind of a nuisance to Darrell, who was wrapped up in his own stuff. Just my opinion though.

i agree with this! I think Darrell was involved after the fact, had second thoughts, and helped LE find DW to make sure they knew he was not involved. Thanks again patriciah for your first hand account of this horrific case.

Bach showed a video yesterday of the parking lot at La Fountainebleue. An employee (I can't remember her name right now)testified that she and another coworker saw DW pacing in the parking lot, and they had an uneasy feeling about him. DW testified that he was in the parking lot after having his van towed there, and he was walking around looking for a wifi signal to call Vanessa. When he testified, he pointed to the area in the parking lot where his van was left by the tow truck driver. In the video that Bach showed, you see the employees cars leaving the lot, and you see the area where DW said his van was parked, but there is no sign of the van in the video. I'm not sure what the defense is arguing about this - maybe that the prosecution didn't show the whole lot in the video or they intentionally omitted footage of the van?

ETA - there is also footage in the video of the Porsche speeding in from the "shortcut" area of the parking lot, towards the back of the shopping center (and away from the camera)
Aha. Thanks. So the van in the parking lot video was after the van had been towed. I was thinking it was a parking lot from before the van was moved to the location where it was towed from.

Ack - that van!!

jmo

What kid stays in his formal school uniform at home?? None that I ever knew.
JMO
So did the hostage taking start earlier than many of us have believed?
JMO
Poor PS probably didn't have time to change. They allegedly arrived home from doc appointment, and he stayed with Vera while Mum went on walk for coffee. I believe DW entered home when only PS and Vera inside the home. I think timeline is the same. MOO
9:30 a.m. doctor appt.;
10:47 a.m. left parking garage;
probably home by 11:30 a.m.
Vera and Philip could have been taken hostage before noon.

I've often wondered if Amy did not go directly inside the house after she drove Philip back home from doctor appt. Amy may have said to Philip "Go on inside; I'm walking to Starbucks; tell Vera I'll be back by _ _ _ p.m. JMO

DNA, Facebook Use And A Sword Among Evidence In US Quadruple Murder Trial
Amy Savopoulos took Philip, who was sick and home from school, to a doctor for a 9:30 a.m. appointment. Authorities found a parking garage ticket inside her Range Rover that says she left the Chevy Chase Center at 10:47 a.m. to return home.

I am stunned by what prosecutor stated -
And about Daron Wint’s testimony:
“Anyone on the jury who thinks what that man said is true, go ahead & acquit him.”

I don't think a prosecutor should ever say the words "
go ahead & acquit him", even if it's sarcastic, or using Reverse Psychology, or whatever it is.
It's unprofessional conduct, and is disrespectful of the jurors.
JMO

Eeeek! I won't be surprised if that statement gets DW a new trial! MOO

I don't have the outrage at that statement. It doesn't sound unprofessional to me but that's just my opinion and I've spent very little time in court.

Why would that statement get him a new trial?

I don't have the outrage at that statement. It doesn't sound unprofessional to me but that's just my opinion and I've spent very little time in court.

The jury must be unanimous in their vote to convict and this statement may be considered prejudicial as it could appeal to that one juror holdout. MOO

Having followed the evidence as much as I could - which is to say not much! until Patriciah started her fabulous updates - I don’t see any case for acquittal JMO.

AFAIK there’s no evidence to support DW’s alibi beyond his own self-serving statements. And all other intersecting evidence contradicts rather than supports his claims.

All the defense has is arguments about whether other people were investigated, which IMO does nothing to undermine DW’s guilt.

I hope the jury comes back soon with a guilty verdict to send DW a strong message and put an end to this horror scene he dragged the S family into.

Having followed the evidence as much as I could - which is to say not much! until Patriciah started her fabulous updates - I don’t see any case for acquittal JMO.

AFAIK there’s no evidence to support DW’s alibi beyond his own self-serving statements. And all other intersecting evidence contradicts rather than supports his claims.

All the defense has is arguments about whether other people were investigated, which IMO does nothing to undermine DW’s guilt.

I hope the jury comes back soon with a guilty verdict to send DW a strong message and put an end to this horror scene he dragged the S family into.
Agree! However, if jury doesn't have a verdict first thing Wednesday morning then I'm going to be worried. MOO

I’d like to know more about the bloody footprint on AS jeans, the footprint on the door, and that fingerprint on the water bottle.

And why no video in that very exclusive neighborhood? I find that very odd. No house and no embassy and no business has any video?

JMO

There was nothing prejudicial or even unprofessional about that remark by Bach. If it had been so prejudicial the defense would have objected or the court would have noted it sua sponte and told the jury to disregard the comment.

Re Phillip still in his uniform. I went to private schools all my life and there were plenty of times kids stayed in their uniforms after school. I don't see anything all that unusual about that.

And why no video in that very exclusive neighborhood? I find that very odd. No house and no embassy and no business has any video?

JMO
Snipped.

I also find it very odd there is not video from the neighborhood. Really weird.

But, there you have it. No video from the neighborhood was introduced so there is nothing to see.

jmo

I’d like to know more about the bloody footprint on AS jeans, the footprint on the door, and that fingerprint on the water bottle.

JMO

I wouldn’t say there are no open questions in my mind, but none of them go to DW’s guilt IMO. Evidence that other people came through an insecure crime scene - lack of security videos from neighbors - impossible to discern figure with bucket - unclear timeline - none of that calls into question his guilt. JMO

DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial

Oct. 23, 2018 — Day 21

Jury deliberations begin after combative close to six-week trial

The first-degree murder trial of a Maryland man charged with killing three members of a D.C. family and their housekeeper inside the family's home is now in the hands of the jury after impassioned closing arguments from Daron Wint's public defender and a defiant rebuttal by a federal prosecutor.

Judith Pipe, with the District Public Defender Service, claimed the prosecution relied on potentially contaminated DNA evidence, failed to properly investigate Wint's two younger brothers and intentionally misled the jury with cherry-picked evidence and incomplete testimony.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Laura Bach called the defense's claims “flights of fancy,” saying all the evidence points to Wint as the lone assailant.

The jury is weighing 20 counts against Wint, who's accused of killing Savvas and Amy Savopoulos; their 10-year-old son, Philip; and the family's housekeeper Vera Figueroa. The victims were held in the Savopoulos' multimillion-dollar mansion for nearly 24 hours and $40,000 was extorted from Savvas Savopoulos, the CEO of an ironworks company. After the killings, the mansion was set ablaze.

Jurors are considering first-degree murder charges in the deaths of each of the victims as well as arson, burglary, extortion and theft charges.

'You can't trust the government's evidence'

In her closing arguments, Pipe called into question the government's timeline for when the victims were taken captive. She said prosecutors tried to mislead the jury by putting on the stand an unreliable witness who testified she saw Amy Savopoulos walking in the neighborhood – perhaps on the way back from a trip to Starbucks – that afternoon.
Pipe called the move “sinister” and said it was designed to convince jurors that Wint could have carried out the crime, alone, by taking the victims hostage one by one.

“You can't trust the government's evidence,” Pipe said, continuing to push her claim that it was actually Wint's two younger brothers, Darrell and Steffon Wint, who carried out the killings.

Contaminated DNA evidence?

Pipe also sought to raise questions about some of the DNA evidence linking Wint to the crime scene, saying the dozens of firefighters and law enforcement personnel responding to the burning mansion had likely contaminated evidence. In addition to DNA on the crust of a pizza that had been delivered to the Savopoulos home during the time the victims were held captive, forensics experts testified Wint's DNA was also found on the handle of a knife found propping open a window in the basement.

“The problem with the scene being contaminated is that people's DNA gets on items that they never touched,” Pipe said.

In fact, DNA from three different investigators wound up on items from the house.
Emily Head, a forensic biologist the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, revealed in her testimony during the trial that two bathroom towels she was swabbing for evidence tested positive for her DNA — the result she said of her lab coat brushing against the towel.

“There was more DNA from Emily Head on that towel than from Daron Wint on that knife,” Pipe said.

The defense attorney also noted that the knife was not collected into evidence until nearly a week after the killings — after Wint was identified as a suspect in the killings based on the pizza-crust DNA — and was transferred to the Department of Forensic Science central evidence unit the same day police took clothing and personal items from Wint's father's house.

“Did Daron Wint's property brush up ever so slightly against the knife like Emily Head's sleeve?” Pipe asked the jury.

Prosecutor blasts 'rank speculation'

In her rebuttal Bach, the federal prosecutor, said Wint's attorneys were asking jurors to engage in “rank speculation” and that their claims are an attempt to distract jurors from the evidence, all of which points to Wint acting alone.

“There is not a single reason here to doubt the government's evidence,” she said.
Bach told jurors the U.S. Attorney's Office initially has suspicions about Darrell Wint's involvement. A week after the killings, Darrell Wint helped turn his brother into police but only after helping convert most of the $40,000 ransom into money orders to pay for a lawyer.

Darrell Wint was questioned by police that night and later by Bach's office.
“Were not morons,” Bach said. “There is a guy with his brother when the brother is arrested for murder. Yeah, we're going to look” into him. “ You think we're gonna (say), 'la-la-la, we're not looking at this?'”

But Bach said prosecutors were able to corroborate Darrell Wint's alibi at every turn using cellphone location, financial records and the testimony of other witnesses who vouched for his whereabouts.

Bach said there was no reason to suspect Steffon Wint of taking part in the crime. Company time sheets show he was working as a construction supervisor at the time of the killings. She said Steffon was only accused by the defense as a ploy to account for a hair found in bloody bedding in an upstairs room of the Savopoulos house.

The DNA signature profile of the hair could not be matched to Darrell Wint but it could be linked to Steffon Wint, since the type of DNA found in hair is shared by siblings with the same mother. Darrell Wint is Daron Wint's younger half-brother and has a different mother than Daron Wint.

“There's no evidence that these people did anything,” Bach said, later adding, “This isn't about Darrel Wint and Steffon Wint no matter how much he wants it to be.”

At times, Bach's tone was caustic. She blasted Daron Wint's account when he testified in his own defense as “laughable.”

“If there's anyone in this jury that believes what Daron Wint said on the stand, you can just go right ahead and acquit him right now.”
by WTOP 3:58 PM

CLOSING ARGUMENTS IN THE #MANSIONMURDERS TRIAL: The Defense:

>>

The defense continued to press its claim that Daron Wint was tricked by his brothers Steffon & Darrell, and had nothing to do with the murders.

Judith Pipe told the jury:

“When Daron Wint took the stand he was calm and respectful. He answered all questions with a yes or no ma'am. You saw true emotions from him but not from his brothers. He is not the monster who did this and that is a reason to doubt".

Here are my colleague Paul Wagner’s notes on Judith Pipe’s closing arguments:

This was not done by one person—it’s not possible. Daron Wint was not coordinating with anyone and there are reasons to doubt.

Steffon and Darrell are the ones who did it. Just look at the calls made between the two on the 12th. Back and forth the calls went. These two men are coordinating. The calls go on and on until they stop ‪at 6:04‬ on the morning of the 13th.

The abductions took place much earlier than ‪3:15‬ as the government wants you to believe.

Steffon and Darrell were talking on the 14th for 8 minutes—around the time the Porsche was torched. What were they talking about??? The phone calls line up. ‪On May 15th at 6:41 PM‬ Steffon and Darrell are on the phone for 45 minutes. What are they talking about? There were two more calls from Darrell to Steffon just before the van was set on fire.

The Government got their theory wrong.

How about the pickup being seen where the van was set on fire. Steffon drives a white pickup but cannot tell you what if anything is written on the sides. .

The hair in the bedding. It is 2 centimeters long—it’s curled up. It’s a tiny hair. Daron has long hair—he has dreds—it is not Daron’s it belongs to Steffon!!

Steffon sat in that witness stand and told you lies. He lied when he told you he didn’t know that Daron had a blue mini van. Everyone knew he had the van.

It is a reason to doubt.

He lied to you about what happened in the apartment with Daron and his sister. He lied to you because he wanted “to dirty him up”.

The man in the video running from the Porsche fire was not Daron. It was Steffon running in the direction of his apartment.

How about Darrell? He has all of the money and that is why Daron was not involved.

Use your common sense—if someone has all of the money they are the ones who pulled off the crime. He had the money for the lawyer—he had the money to give to the girls to buy the money orders. He had all the money in the truck when they got pulled over.

The people who did this knew what they were doing. When Darrell was running around with al the money he didn’t have his phone with him.

Think about the work records on the 21st. They were filled out by the foreman and were false. Darrell did not work from 7 to 4. He told you that.

And look at Steffon’s records. The government did not put a supervisor on the stand to explain his records. He uses a general code on those two days so that he could be at any job site and still be working under the rules. He can be anywhere.

His work records do not tell you where he was on the 13th and 14th..

When Darrell goes in to see Laura Bach on the 25th he cannot remember where he was on the 13th and 14th. And that’s because he was at the house on Woodland drive..

He testified that he knew Dominos delivery number by heart. So why didn’t he tell them that he ordered a pizza ‪around noon on the 14th‬!! Would they find out that it was Garnett who signed the receipt?. He didn’t tell the government about it because he wasn’t the man who ordered the pizza. The only single outgoing call on the 14th from Darrell’s phone is to the pizza place. The rest are calls coming in. The text messages? You will never see them because the govt didn’t do an extraction on his phone.

The first call to Steffon on the 14th is ‪at 5:43 PM‬—a few minutes after the Porsche is set on fire.

Darrel lied about being at Unity trash all week long. No one sees him at Unity on the 13th.

As for Ikea Williams .. Look to the govt for reasons you did not hear from her. What would she say about the day Darrell came up to see the video? (Ikea is the girlfriend of Anthony Anderson- who testified Darrell was with him on 5/13, the day he uploaded his music video)

Brandon Cooper said Darrell had several numbers. Garnett lied to the govt about renting the hotel room until he got immunity.. Darrell had lots of phones. He was a drug dealer. He told you he had a burner phone..

There is so much that Daron said to you that makes sense. The evidence backs it up.

Darrell was driving the Porsche. The witness said the driver was in a black tee shirt. Daron was in a white tee.

Why did Savas phone ping off tower in Dupont because Darrell was driving up Mass ave after picking up Daron.

Pipe also sought to raise questions about some of the DNA evidence linking Wint to the crime scene, saying the dozens of firefighters and law enforcement personnel responding to the burning mansion had likely contaminated evidence. In addition to DNA on the crust of a pizza that had been delivered to the Savopoulos home during the time the victims were held captive, forensics experts testified Wint's DNA was also found on the handle of a knife found propping open a window in the basement.

“The problem with the scene being contaminated is that people's DNA gets on items that they never touched,” Pipe said.

In fact, DNA from three different investigators wound up on items from the house.
Emily Head, a forensic biologist the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, revealed in her testimony during the trial that two bathroom towels she was swabbing for evidence tested positive for her DNA — the result she said of her lab coat brushing against the towel.

“There was more DNA from Emily Head on that towel than from Daron Wint on that knife,” Pipe said.

The defense attorney also noted that the knife was not collected into evidence until nearly a week after the killings — after Wint was identified as a suspect in the killings based on the pizza-crust DNA — and was transferred to the Department of Forensic Science central evidence unit the same day police took clothing and personal items from Wint's father's house.

“Did Daron Wint's property brush up ever so slightly against the knife like Emily Head's sleeve?” Pipe asked the jury.

DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members