GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - that is confusing. What backpack??

jmo
DW testified that he took a black string backpack with him to DC to work on 5/13 (when he thought he was going to do a paint/drywall job with his brothers). He stated the backpack contained bottles of water. He mentioned the backpack again, when he said he retrieved it from the Porsche at Woodland Dr. on 5/14. He stated he realized after the first trip to Walmart with Darrell that he left the backpack at the house. That was the reason he gave for second trip to Walmart, to get a new backpack.

But what exactly did burning it cover up? How was the van used in this crime that it needed to be destroyed. I'm not following that line of thinking. What am I missing?

Maybe things like Tyvek jumpsuits or bloody clothes and duct tape and zip ties and food and beverage containers? Rope?
Boots that may have left prints in a house?
Maps to S house?
Booties like painters wear when working in a house?
Burglary tools to force your way into a house?

JMO

Right - but in what way does DW say the van was linked to the crime. Is he saying his brother drove it to the mansion, transported people, got blood in it....what is the link?

Sorry to belabor this but I don't get the link.

The van, as far as we know, was parked all day in D.C. According to DW's version, the van was somehow used by his brother but doesn't explain how the van was used. Then, the van is burned.

I don't get it.

I don't remember him saying anything specific that his brother did with the van. Just that he was concerned that the van would somehow connect him with the crime at the house. Sorry that's not very helpful, but much of his story doesn't make sense.

Maybe things like Tyvek jumpsuits or bloody clothes and duct tape and zip ties and food and beverage containers? Rope?
Boots that may have left prints in a house?
Maps to S house?
Booties like painters wear when working in a house?
Burglary tools to force your way into a house?

JMO
Assuming that DW is lying about his alibi, the van was sitting in D.C. during the crime, right? So how did the things get from the van to the house or from the house to the van? DW leaves the house in Amy's car and takes a tow truck to the van. I don't recall the tow truck driver mentioning DW carrying anything. So I don't know how anything could be in the van that links to the crime.

Why the heck was it burned?

Maybe just another mystery of this case.

jmo

I don't remember him saying anything specific that his brother did with the van. Just that he was concerned that the van would somehow connect him with the crime at the house. Sorry that's not very helpful, but much of his story doesn't make sense.
I don't think we know the real reason the van was burned.

jmo

DW testified that he took a black string backpack with him to DC to work on 5/13 (when he thought he was going to do a paint/drywall job with his brothers). He stated the backpack contained bottles of water. He mentioned the backpack again, when he said he retrieved it from the Porsche at Woodland Dr. on 5/14. He stated he realized after the first trip to Walmart with Darrell that he left the backpack at the house. That was the reason he gave for second trip to Walmart, to get a new backpack.
Yes, I remembered the backpack after I posted.

He left it at the house, but guess it didn't have any fingerprints or DNA on it or we would've heard by now.

jmo

I don't think we know the real reason the van was burned.

jmo
That's true. who knows what was in the van that had him so concerned that he (or someone he knew) torched it.
There are a lot of unanswered questions. I think there is definitely enough evidence to convict him, but there are unknowns. Hopefully the jury doesn't expect everything to be resolved like a Law & Order episode.

So, if there was nothing in the minivan or nothing transported in the minivan, why did DarrW take LE there and point to a “debris pile” that allegedly contained zip ties?

From @patriciah DW trial notes today:
  • “Bach asks DW if he knew Darrell was talking to the police in May 2015 - DW says no. Darrell took police to 51st & Frolich to show them debris pile, which contained zip ties. DW said he didn't know anything about debris pile. Photo of debris pile was shown to DW only. 51st & Frolich location is a block away from DW's former workplace.”
JMO and wondering...

Assuming that DW is lying about his alibi, the van was sitting in D.C. during the crime, right? So how did the things get from the van to the house or from the house to the van? DW leaves the house in Amy's car and takes a tow truck to the van. I don't recall the tow truck driver mentioning DW carrying anything. So I don't know how anything could be in the van that links to the crime.

jmo

Maybe he saw torching vehicles in a movie and convinced it would save him! After all, he also torched the porsche and I'm not sure why he ever needed to do that since he wore gloves constantly. Since he also torched the house, and both cars, I believe he was convinced it would destroy his DNA and he would never be caught -- would escaped with his cash to some resort until his green card/renewal would come through a year later. Just speculating...and hope I'm not capable of thinking like him!!

jmo

Also has it been explained how DarrW even knew about the burned zip ties?

Maybe he saw torching vehicles in a movie and convinced it would save him! After all, he also torched the porsche and I'm not sure why he ever needed to do that since he wore gloves constantly. Since he also torched the house, and both cars, I believe he was convinced it would destroy his DNA and he would never be caught -- would escaped with his cash to some resort until his green card/renewal would come through a year later. Just speculating...and hope I'm not capable of thinking like him!!
Maybe he had thought of this very scenario, of having to blame someone "who drove his van" therefore it might "contain evidence" and would require it having to be burned. The prosecutions rebuttal argument, if one is allowed, will be interesting.

Last edited:
Were there zip ties in the S house or on AS, PS, SS or VF? Any found in the S house?

JMO and wondering

From Katydid23's post

pretty good trial overview here:

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

Wint openings continued. Prosecution: torture & killings took place in Savopoulos’ absent daughters adjoining bedrooms. Evidence on skin shows they we bound by tape, zip ties, forced to make calls. Computer holding interior surveillance destroyed. Phone lines cut. 2/5

ETA: Link to post
DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Right - but in what way does DW say the van was linked to the crime. Is he saying his brother drove it to the mansion, transported people, got blood in it....what is the link?

Sorry to belabor this but I don't get the link.

The van, as far as we know, was parked all day in D.C. According to DW's version, the van was somehow used by his brother but doesn't explain how the van was used. Then, the van is burned.

I don't get it.

I thought the implication was that Daryl picked up the van, dropped off DW at Dead Ed's house, and then drove it to the 'job site.' If so, I can see DW being worried that cameras of neighbors might have seen it coming or going or being parked nearby during the murders.

Also has it been explained how DarrW even knew about the burned zip ties?

I am not sure that DarrW did know about the zip ties. The only quite I can find is this:

"Darrell took police to 51st & Frolich to show them debris pile, which contained zip ties."

It just says that he took them to the debris from the fire. It doesn't say that he knew there were or were not zip ties in that debris. It may heave taken forensic team to recognize that.

From Mansion Murders FB page—-

To get you caught up before today’s cross examination, Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC ‘s notes on Daron Wint’s testimony yesterday: Fox 5 DC

~~~~

On the morning of May 13, after Daron said his brother changed the plan and said he didn’t need Daron’s help on a drywall job - only his van... Wint told the court he asked Darrell to take him to a neighborhood where he has gotten tires for his van before. Defense Attorney Judith Pipe shows him a map with a Freddy’s Used Tires on Mississippi Ave SE and his friend “Ed” who lived at ‪16 Atlantic street SE.‬ That’s where Wint says Darrell dropped him off. He says he left his phone in the van and stayed at Ed’s house all day long.

Wint says he had been to the house 3 to 4 times and Ed works on cars in his front yard. He said “always a lot of people hanging out there”

They then backtracked for a minute—Pipe asked him about a stop they made on the way. Wint says they went to a house in Silver Spring where Darrell went inside for a minute and came out by himself.

Then, on the trip to SE Wint says Darrell is driving and he did not see him with a phone. It’s possible he had one he said. They stopped for something to eat before getting to Ed’s. Said it was early morning. Not sure of the time.

Darrell then drove off in the van with Daron’s phone. Was there WiFi at the house Pipe asked —“not sure”.

He expected Darrell to come back for him but he never did. Started drinking around 5–got sick to his stomach and laid down on the couch and passed out. Woke up ‪at one AM‬—went back to sleep and got up around 10am.

Darrell then pulled up with the Porsche. Darrell gets out and he asks him where the van is. Darrell says its parked—then oddly he began to cry. Kind of a whimper and rubs his eyes and grabs some tissues.

“Darrell then asks me to go with him. I get in the passenger seat.“
Daron asks where the van is. Asks Darrell for a pen to write down directions. Darrell instead hands him his phone and he opens Facebook Messenger to put the info in. Darrell then tells Wint he has thirty minutes left in the job and needs his help.

Wint says he then wrote in Messenger “ 24th and K” where the van is parked.

Darrell wouldn’t say where they were going. There were no stops.

“We got to Woodland Drive and Darrell parked out front. We went in the front door. Darrell had a key. Once inside I stepped to my left and sat down at table with blue chairs.” Pipe shows diagram of the house to show small dining room.

Darrell then goes upstairs, gets a box of pizza and comes down. Daron says Darrell is wearing surgical gloves.

“I was not wearing gloves—I ate a piece of pizza and put the crust back in the box. I asked if house had WiFi and I went to get my phone in the Porsche. I wanted to contact Vanessa to tell her where I was. I went out the front door and Darrell then told me to meet him in the garage.”

“I got the phone and my drawstring back pack.” At this point Pipe says “Do you remember the two men from Australian ambassadors house who testified?” “Yes” “Was that you they were talking about?” “Yes.”

“The garage door opened and I went in. It was ‪around 11:45 AM‬.”

“I tried to get WiFi but couldn’t. Darrell then came into garage and gave me vest and hard hat. Told me to put them on. I thought it was strange to wear such things in a home. Usually they are worn at construction sites.”

Wint says Darrell then told him he was “unloading the house”, slang for robbing it. “I told him to take me home. Darrell said I need your help and cannot take you. I threw the hard hat down. “

Pipe said “Did you know that there were people in the house?” “No.”
“Did you go into the basement?“

“No. I never left the garage.” “How did your DNA get on the knife in the basement?”
“I don’t know.”

Wint says he then left the house to walk to the bus stop (apparently still wearing vest) but before he could get on, Darrell pulled up in the Porsche and the two of them drove out to Maryland. Wint says Darrell did the driving.

Says Darrell took him to La Fontaine Bleue where he confirmed the earlier testimony of the witness who worked there. Daron said he was pacing back and forth because he was looking for a WiFi signal.

Wint says Darrell then gave him cash and two iPhones. “Darrell was wearing a vest too”, and before he pulled off in the Porsche - Wint says he threw his vest in anger at Darrell. He was angry that Darrell would not take him to his van. That’s when he saw a tow truck driver and made two calls on the driver’s phone to Darrell, looking for the keys to the van. “I also called my step mother to say I was coming home.”

Wint then says he had the van towed to the parking lot behind La Fontaine Bleue , and Darrell was supposed to meet him there with the keys. He says he sat in the van and then looked in glove box where he found the keys and drove home.

Pipe then asked about the two IPhones. He says Darrell told him he had found them in a park. Wint said he didn’t think they were from the house. Wanted no part of it.

Then he saw the news that people were killed and he did some Google searches.

They then talked about going to Walmart with Darrell.

Wint said Darrell bought jeans and gloves. He didn’t buy anything and Darrell paid. They then went back and Wint bought a backpack because his backpack he left at the house and Darrell failed to take it with him when he left.

“I then looked up news about the house on my phone. ‪Friday morning‬ the van was still at the house. I went to gym with Godfrey. Then called Darrell and asked him to take the van.”

Wint said he thought it was part of the crime and he didn’t want any part of it.. “I then asked Godfrey to help me burn it but he said no.”
Pipe: “Why did you want to burn the van?”
Wint: “Because I didn’t want to be part of a crime. I have seen people get convicted of crimes they didn’t commit.”

‪Saturday morning the van was gone. He said he did not report it to the police.‬

Wint said he paid $1100 dollars to an immigration lawyer for help in getting his green card renewed. Then he went to NY with $6000 cash he said Darrell gave him.

Pipe said “You bought an iPhone?” “Yes.” “Dinner?” “Yes.“
“Shoes?” “Yes.”

“Did you still have the two IPhones with you?” “Yes.”
“Did you use them?”
“No, they were locked.”

“Why look up countries with no extradition treaty with US?”
Wint: “I have seen people convicted of crimes they didn’t commit.”

Daron then went through what happened in NY when his picture came on news.

Says he left Vanessa $2000 in cash and then they both went to a hotel.

Outside the hotel, while making a call to Darrell, he saw the police. An officer tried to get him to come over but he ran. “I jumped over a fence and cut myself.” Pipe: “Get blood on you?” “Yes.”
“Were these the same clothes you had on when you turned your self in?”
“Yes.”
“Why run?”
“I wanted to turn myself in in Maryland. “

Once back in Maryland, Wint says he got back with Darrell and gave the phones back.

The tow then went to a house in Silver Spring where they met a man named “Garnett”. Daron described him as “black with dreds.” They got something to eat and went to hotel.

Called a lawyer. Called Vanessa.

He says he thought they were going to lawyer when they got pulled over. He admits trying to give money orders to the girls during felony stop.

Pipe then asked - “Did you kill Savas?” “NO!”
“Did you kill Amy?” “Absolutely not”
“Phillip? Vera?”

“Burn the Porsche? Burn the van? Break into house? Help Darrell with anything?”

“Absolutely not” to all questions.”

Courtesy of Fox5DC

I can think of a few reasons that he wanted/needed to torch his old van.

1. It was driven to the crime scene and sat there for many hours. So he was worried it had been noticed or picked up on camera somehow.

2. He could not drive it anymore or risk anyone else drive it, because he wanted to lay low, disappear, and that van had strong ties to him.

3. There were possibly incriminating things left behind in the van, and DNA etc, maybe even blood evidence.

Pipe then asked about the two IPhones. He says Darrell told him he had found them in a park. Wint said he didn’t think they were from the house. Wanted no part of it.

PINOCHIO moment^^^

So at that point, DW already knew his brother had robbed the home. But when his brother gives him 2 iPhones, he tells DW he found them in a park, and DW believes him? LMAO, sure, thats believable.

"Then he saw the news that people were killed and he did some Google searches.

They then talked about going to Walmart with Darrell. "

Another problem with his story^^^^: So he is shocked about seeing there were murders in that house, where he was tricked into going, and where his van was parked during the crimes.

And then he goes to Walmart with the guy that set him up for those murders?

"Wint says he then left the house to walk to the bus stop (apparently still wearing vest) but before he could get on, Darrell pulled up in the Porsche and the two of them drove out to Maryland. Wint says Darrell did the driving."

"Wint says Darrell then gave him cash and two iPhones. “Darrell was wearing a vest too”, and before he pulled off in the Porsche - Wint says he threw his vest in anger at Darrell. He was angry that Darrell would not take him to his van. "

So his brother, who had borrowed his van , now drives up in a very expensive Porsche, and he just hops in? He knew by now it was a stolen car. Why would he get in if he was so against 'stealing' like he claims?

And he threw his vest in anger at his brother for not giving him a ride to his van. But he didn't mention being angry that his brother dragged him to a major crime scene?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member