DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blondie, yes it is horrifying. This is truly a monster.. whoever struck those final blows, assaults and started that fire.

I try not to focus on those parts of a case. It's the only way I can do research. But it's late and the fact of the chairs caused me to remember the rest. So awful.....

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/a...ngton-social-diary-the-darkness-and-the-light

The guests at Tudor Place couldn’t shake from their minds what had occurred in Woodley Park.

One friend of Amy’s called her a “wonderful mother.” Another said the couple “met at the University of Maryland.” Savvas was described as a colorful personality who “liked cars and stuff.” A Woodland Drive resident called them “good neighbors.” Another was dismayed, “shook up,” because the neighborhood pays “extra for a private security patrol.” According to those who knew them, Savvas and Amy were “not socialites,” more private and family than that scene, but they were social, involved in school life, community life, generous with their time and home for causes, and their church, St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral;

That's what I saw too. The darker tan/almost chestnut curly hair on the huskier build.

FWIW, Chessies have very different personalities than labs. They are sweet, but can be very protective. My friend's bit the FedEx guy and there were many other near-misses. Maybe the housekeeper was right that they made a fuss if someone came in the house. Maybe they were already in the back yard when this whole thing started and were just left there.

On CNN just now: It was stated that police are still investigating two women who were with DW when he was arrested. They were originally released after being held for about 24 hours. It sounds like they are investigating them as accessories after the fact. They did reiterate that police do not believe DW committed the crime alone.

We seem to have forgotten that the three adult victims were found doused in gasoline and in chairs.
I just had a thought re: What, beyond wanting to stop the torture of PS, could have continued to keep the adults contained or controlled? Then I realized, they were all doused in gasoline and we know that the killer left matches at the top of the stairs. Really, all he had to do was hold up the matches as the ultimate threat, especially if he had lit a few throughout the night and day that followed...

I can see the killer saying, "do it, or I will light this match..." But, it is beyond me why he chose to try to kill all the adults before he set the fire while leaving PS to burn to death....It is All So Incredibly Senseless!

I don't think he doused them with gas until the end. I doubt he was there all those hrs with the over-whelming smell of gas. Not to mention the foolishness of lighting a match to threaten them or when he did finally lit the match the fumes would have been so bad by then he would have been caught in the gas ball I think. jmo

Just the other day a man here went to light his cigarette while gas was pumping into his car.... he burst into flames right off. A man close by ran to put him out with his jacket. He died the next day.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29153121/man-dies-after-lighting-cigarette-at-gas-pump-sparking-fire

DW emigrated from Guyana when he was 20 years old.

From the 2014 Crime Report for that country:

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=16163

Guyana is rated as Critical for crime by the U.S. Embassy. Criminal activity is a major problem, particularly violent crimes and crimes against people and property. Foreigners in general are viewed as targets of opportunity but are not specifically targeted. Violence against women, particularly in a domestic context is a pervasive problem.

Most violent crimes against foreigners have occurred in the capital. However, there have been incidents of violent crimes committed in other parts of the country as well. Serious crime, including murder and armed robbery, are common, especially in the suburban areas and the interior regions. The most recent information from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime lists Guyana’s 2010 homicide rate as 18.4 per 100,000 people -- the fourth highest murder rate in South America behind Venezuela, Colombia, and Brazil. Guyana’s murder rate is three times higher than the United States’.

Armed robberies occur regularly, especially in businesses and shopping districts. Armed robberies of businesses/patrons are becoming increasingly common in Georgetown. Criminals are often organized, travel in groups of two or more, and conduct surveillance on their victims. Periodically, there are reports of robberies/attacks on American citizens and in areas frequented by expatriates. The press reported 108 armed robbery incidents during 2013. It is likely that many more incidents go unreported.

Criminals appear to be able to obtain weapons with ease, despite the arduous licensing requirements for the average person to own firearms. Handguns, knives, machetes, or "cutlasses" tend to be the weapons of choice. Criminals generally will not hesitate to show multiple weapons as an intimidation tactic during a robbery. Criminals may act brazenly, and police officers have been victims and perpetrators of assaults and shootings. Criminals are increasingly willing to resort to violence while committing all types of crimes.

Ouch. You got me with the conference call. That's actually a really good reason. I can practically hear SS saying, "I'm going into a conference call in 5 minutes, so I won't be able to meet you in person. Just put the cash in the driver's seat of the Mosler, and I'll pick it up when I'm off the call."

The old "upcoming conference call" is a great way to cut anything short. No one questions it.

Even so, I would still be turning over the question as to why SS wanted $40K in cash in such a hurry, first thing in the morning. "What's so urgent and needs $40K cash?" I still can't come up with a plausible reason. Can you?

Hi guys!

Maye I am hard core - but money is power. Peroid. These are "staff" folks, they are not going to question the "boss" - who is a man with a lot of money. It just would not occur to them, nor in the "role" relationship be something that would occur.

It makes sense that maid husband would be hesitant to call LE on his wives rich boss. That there would be a pause before doing so.

Bussiness is mean. Thus far the basic portait we have is he is a nice guy. But, in terms of bussiness dealings, govt relationships, we have a father suing a friend over $$, and a business entity which is not in good standing tax wise - dont remember the specfic angle, but it has been posted here several times.

He may have had nice parties, but when it comes to the bussiness side of the man I sense a different porttrait will emerge. Just MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne