DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't forget that NG said that JW called a "senior AIW employee" on Friday crying.

So it just makes no sense for her to say no one has heard from him now...when she has said two completely different things before.

"The assistant worked at the Autobahn Indoor Speedway in Jessup, Maryland until March. At the Go Kart racing site on Thursday, we were told that the Savopoulos assistant was “let go” in March."

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29129466/savopoulos-assistant
Given what an integral part of the race track company, its PR, its events, its training, JW was and I am surprised they would let him go for being "late," or slacking off. And he had himself called his job there absolutely ideal and thanked them for believing in him. I still believe (JMO!) that SS's car collection was one of, if not the major target here, and that the box car, DW's history of "stolen goods," and JW's car obsession and knowledge are somehow connected. The primary reason I speculate on JW's involvement though is that his lies to LE are difficult to explain, except on his feeling that specific details implicate him. It's a challenge to account for his mis-reporting at all considering what was at stake. Admittedly, the juxtapposition of the following two items are a deconstruction on my part and in and of themselves have no significance. So, not only MOO, but moreover, my suggesting an association between the two people (one charged by LE in this case and one NOT and NOT mentioned as a person of interest even) through the same month of very different events, qualitatively, one a criminal charge and the other a happenstance that says nothing about the character of the person. I mean "let go" or "fired" outright can be much more of a statement about who does the letting go than the person let go and some positions just become untenable.
"on March 23, 2015, the defendant was arrested in the District of Columbia for receiving stolen property and he provided a false name of Steffon Wint (his brother's name) at the time of that arrest. The defendant was assigned a PDID 703045 at the time of his arrest under the name Steffon Wint and is thus identified in MPD law enforcement databases as Steffon Wint."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documen...-darron-dellon-dennis-supplement-may-2015.pdf

"The assistant worked at the Autobahn Indoor Speedway in Jessup, Maryland until March. At the Go Kart racing site on Thursday, we were told that the Savopoulos assistant was “let go” in March."

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29129466/savopoulos-assistant

Any sinister connection is of my own making and a reflection of determined editing of verbatim items.

But wouldn't it make since that SS would do a thorough back round check on JW? He wouldn't let just anyone around his son and family, or let him be privy to his conversations while driving him around.

I just joined because I wanted to respond to something I saw several times in the previous thread. I live nearby and knew the family slightly. The house is not in a busy or highly dense area, just the opposite. There is a fairly busy intersection a block away but Woodland and Mass Ave Heights in general is quite deserted during the day. The neighborhood doesn't lead to anywhere so people aren't there, generally, unless their destination is somewhere in the neighborhood. The other houses are farther back from the curb. While the house is large by most standards, certainly mine, its one of the smaller homes in the neighborhood. Think massive mansions behind substantial gates and thats Mass Ave Heights.

Hope this isn't a re-post. Tried posting earlier but did not see it appear (1st time posting).

It has been stated before that JW posted several racing related videos on Vimeo (under the name DriverGITS). What I found interesting is that in one of the videos (for the rally race), at one point he is shown observing the race wearing a neon green work vest. He likely had access to these due to track safety rules/regs.

I initially did not think JW was involved in this crime (I wanted to believe he was just an enthusiastic, decent, wannabe race car driver), but there are too many things pointing towards his involvement:
-Was the only person allowed inside the residence (garage) during the time of the crime
-Lied to the police when questioned according to CD
-According to witness, person seen driving Porsche on Thurs. had short, well-groomed hair and was wearing a neon green work vest (vest also found in remnants of burned Porsche)
-Apparently lived in close proximity to DW
-Due to being employed as SS's driver, likely had knowledge of family's schedule
-Was getting old in terms of making his mark as a professional race car driver and needed major funding to support his racing ambitions

Hope this isn't a re-post. Tried posting earlier but did not see it appear (1st time posting).

It has been stated before that JW posted several racing related videos on Vimeo (under the name DriverGITS). What I found interesting is that in one of the videos (for the rally race), at one point he is shown observing the race wearing a neon green work vest. He likely had access to these due to track safety rules/regs.

I initially did not think JW was involved in this crime (I wanted to believe he was just an enthusiastic, decent, wannabe race car driver), but there are too many things pointing towards his involvement:
-Was the only person allowed inside the residence (garage) during the time of the crime
-According to witness, person seen driving Porsche on Thurs. had short, well-groomed hair and was wearing a neon green work vest (vest also found in remnants of burned Porsche)
-Due to being employed as SS's driver, likely had knowledge of family's schedule
-Was getting old in terms of making his mark as a professional race car driver and needed major funding to support his racing ambitions

No way it could have been JW driving on Thursday at 1:30 pm. He has an alibi for that time.

But wouldn't it make since that SS would do a thorough back round check on JW? He wouldn't let just anyone around his son and family, or let him be privy to his conversations while driving him around.
And SS most likely knew why JW was fired from the track. Must have been something SS didn't consider serious, or I fail to see why SS would hire JW as his personal assistant. People get fired for all kind of reasons.

I agree that the DNA on the pizza is going to be a minor piece of evidence in the end. There is an enormous amount going on behind the scenes as they build the case. I don't blame reporters, I think LE is keeping things very tight. I'm an attorney who has worked in criminal defense and I find the charging documents to be very curious. Everything is there for a reason, but I (and you) have no idea what that reason is. The part about JW lying is particularly perplexing as is the release of the other people who were arrested with Wint. I think somewhere in there someone is getting immunity in exchange for testimony. Also, I agree with those who think this was planned out. Four people were held hostage for many hours and murdered with no one catching on. It took days to make the first arrest. I don't know if it was Wint, I kind of doubt it, but someone planned this out.

Its all incredibly heartbreaking.

I agree that the DNA on the pizza is going to be a minor piece of evidence in the end. There is an enormous amount going on behind the scenes as they build the case. I don't blame reporters, I think LE is keeping things very tight. I'm an attorney who has worked in criminal defense and I find the charging documents to be very curious. Everything is there for a reason, but I (and you) have no idea what that reason is. The part about JW lying is particularly perplexing as is the release of the other people who were arrested with Wint. I think somewhere in there someone is getting immunity in exchange for testimony. Also, I agree with those who think this was planned out. Four people were held hostage for many hours and murdered with no one catching on. It took days to make the first arrest. I don't know if it was Wint, I kind of doubt it, but someone planned this out.

I agree. I don't understand why police put into affidavit that W1 lied. I think they are suspecting him but don't have any evidence. It's also puzzling why they released all the people caught with DW, especially since some of them admitted converting money into money orders. Why weren't they charged with being an accessory after the fact? Police claim they believe DW wasn't alone, yet no additional arrests. Does that mean dangerous killers are still on the lose?

Who left the dojo first? NG or W1? She last saw him at 3:30 pm, but was that because she left, he left, they both left, or they were working in different areas of the dojo?

I'm wondering that, too. Especially since NG said she rode in (to the dojo) with SS on Wednesday morning. Did JW drive them? If so, what car? If not, what car did SS drive and if JW met them there (at the dojo), what car did JW drive? If SS left alone at
5:30/6:00 pm, how did NG get home? Did she ride back with SS to his house to retrieve her car, which would have to be parked in driveway because of 2 hour parking restrictions? Did NG leave her car at S family home that morning or did JW pick her up on the way into DC? Did they all meet at Hyattsville AIW and ride to Chantilly together?Did NG ride back with SS to his house to retrieve her car, which would have to be parked in driveway because of 2 hour parking restrictions?

Our family lived in a neighborhood that had street parking passes (stickers) for residents, and we also got hang tag parking passes for guests who were staying longer than 2 hours. We used the hang tags when friends, contractors, cleaning people, etc. came over so that they wouldn't block the rest of us in the driveway. Do neighborhoods in DC have something similar?

just want to say that JW might have an alibi for the time of the murders but that doesnt mean he wasnt involved in the crime or its planning.

ETA: i dont know if their are 'dangerous killers' still out there but it doesnt make me feel safe that they just let the people with wint go hoping they'll trip themselves up (either as accessories aafter the fact or actual participants in the crime)

Hi yukoncornelius, and Welcome! :welcome6:

All excellent observations, and are why I think JW is involved. :goodpost:

His phone has an alibi but I'm not sure he does.

Also, what is the source for the information that JW's phone was pinging in the hardware store? Is it media reports that Chief Lanier cautioned relying on due to inaccurate leaks?

I just joined because I wanted to respond to something I saw several times in the previous thread. I live nearby and knew the family slightly. The house is not in a busy or highly dense area, just the opposite. There is a fairly busy intersection a block away but Woodland and Mass Ave Heights in general is quite deserted during the day. The neighborhood doesn't lead to anywhere so people aren't there, generally, unless their destination is somewhere in the neighborhood. The other houses are farther back from the curb. While the house is large by most standards, certainly mine, its one of the smaller homes in the neighborhood. Think massive mansions behind substantial gates and thats Mass Ave Heights.

I think I'm the one who used dense but I was referring to an urban area with a lot of large houses on smaller lots and many, including the S house are very close to the street/sidewalk. I am assuming many have household help and service people coming and going throughout the day. Plenty of opportunities for someone to case the place out without detecting attention.

JMO

Absolutely! I'm also curious as to why I've read reports that the police say they were held for "19 hours".....there's a reason they know that.

Also, what is the source for the information that JW's phone was pinging in the hardware store? Is it media reports that Chief Lanier cautioned relying on due to inaccurate leaks?

I don't remember the source of the pinging. But if it is true, it still only means his phone has an alibi. There was planning that went into this crime and I think perps are smart enough to know cops can get cell phone pings so it would be easy just to leave the phone somewhere or trade with someone.

JMO

I've noticed NG has been quiet. Wonder if someone told her to stop talking to the media?

Serena wrote:
I remember when this story came out & hoped we would see what profiler Van Zandt described happen - especially since the five people were with a fugitive. I thought the fact they were DW could be considered aiding & abetting or obstruction of justice as they were with a fugitive on the run or some legitimate reason to book them and hold them for questioning. At any rate, I was very surprised all 5 were all released so quickly and to my knowledge this didn't give LE a lot of time to separately interview all involved & find discrepancies in their stories or give them a chance to turn on others. The advantage of doing that so early is because they (the five who were booked) wouldn't have had a chance to compare notes with the other and formulate a story. Now - even though they still may be questioned, they have had plenty of time to put together a story. There must be more to why this didn't happen. Maybe they all knew not to talk without an attorney present. One thought I've had about those five people who were briefly held is that maybe LE found DNA from the crime scene which they have not made known to the public and it does not match DW or any other DNA in their system and LE is hoping to find a match. Perhaps, LE took DNA samples, hair samples, fingerprints from these 5 people and they match these to some sort of forensic evidence discovered at the crime scene.

serena, would you be willing to share the general feeling of any family/friends of the Savopoulos family regarding
Witness 1? Do they think he is involved in the kidnapping/murder? Or is he simply the driver who SS trusted to deliver the ransom and lied because of nervousness etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1