DC/VA - Light plane crashes after chase by jet fighters in Washington area, 4 June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for the info.

Even though there have been many reports that this (Virginia) crash involved cabin de-pressurization (and I posted a video about that possibility)... I've also heard/seen others that suggest maybe not. Interesting and sad... whatever the outcome here.

What makes me think it was not a pilot medical event is that the passengers would have seen him slumped over and could have contacted someone on the radio. I've wondered if they could have been sleeping, but since they are saying it happened around 15 minutes into the flight, I don't feel like they would have fallen asleep so quickly.

What makes me think it was not a pilot medical event is that the passengers would have seen him slumped over and could have contacted someone on the radio. I've wondered if they could have been sleeping, but since they are saying it happened around 15 minutes into the flight, I don't feel like they would have fallen asleep so quickly.
But as @Damarma said above, hypoxia comes so quickly...the passengers may have even been struck before the pilot. I just hope so much that they all experienced "nothing".

I agree. I feel cabin pressure is the likely the cause. The only thing that might hinder the passengers' view of the pilot would be some type of closed door between the two areas... which I can't imagine exists in this type of aircraft. jmo (and I'm no pilot)

I agree. I feel cabin pressure is the likely the cause. The only thing that might hinder the passengers' view of the pilot would be some type of closed door between the two areas... which I can't imagine exists in this type of aircraft. jmo (and I'm no pilot)

I've looked at some of them here and (so far) haven't found one with a door

A sudden depressurization can sucks the air out of lungs. If this happened, there may have been no time to react.
The NTSB says you have about 15 seconds to react to depressurization - you have that 15 seconds to put on your oxygen masks. In the documentary posted above, the NTSB concluded that the checklist that pilots follow gives some instrumental instructions in the event of depressurization, and at the end of the list of instrumental instructions, it says to put on your oxygen mask. For the pilot and co-pilot in the Payne Stewart case, that was too late. So as a result of that incident, the checklists for private airplanes were changed, not just for Lear jets, but other private plane manufacturers changed them as well. Now the checklist starts with putting on your oxygen mask, and then taking the next steps.

spelling edit

Last edited:

It really did happen very quickly, as speculated. The pilot responded at 1:25. At 1:28, he did not respond.

MOO

While the exact cause of the crash is still unknown, one leading theory is that hypoxia — a condition that occurs when the brain is deprived of adequate oxygen — could have impacted the pilot, causing him to become unconscious.

would the passengers have been unconscious too? I hope so ... hope that they weren't conscious knowing they were about to die ...

While the exact cause of the crash is still unknown, one leading theory is that hypoxia — a condition that occurs when the brain is deprived of adequate oxygen — could have impacted the pilot, causing him to become unconscious.

would the passengers have been unconscious too? I hope so ... hope that they weren't conscious knowing they were about to die ...
Everyone would have become unconscious in probably under a minute, if what I read when this case first broke is anything to go by. (I think I was reading the findings of the investigation of another incident that was very similar on wikipedia. It was another 'ghost flight' which flew until the plane ran out of fuel.)

MOO

Everyone would have become unconscious in probably under a minute, if what I read when this case first broke is anything to go by. (I think I was reading the findings of the investigation of another incident that was very similar on wikipedia. It was another 'ghost flight' which flew until the plane ran out of fuel.)

MOO
Thank you that would be somewhat comforting for their families hopefully. I think I read about that one too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back