Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'll be darned if that doesn't look just like her. That's a very distinctive nose. What happens next?

Answering my own question: Get in touch with Hal Brown!

The nose and teeth are very distinctive shapes. Notice the cut on the postmortem pics coincides with eyewitness speaking of "bloody lady" with a cut on her face. Great sleuthing!

Has anyone had a chance to look at this compare?

The circumstances appear to suggest that she was the victim of a crime at the time that she disappeared (i.e., a year and a half earlier), although there is nothing rock-solid to prove that she died at that time.

And Miss X's nose looks much fatter IMO, though as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the swelling of the nose and lips can be caused by pregnancy.

My gut impression is that she looks different, although she does look pretty close in many respects. I'm sure Hal Brown would not be against checking it out.

CarlK90245 & professoressa,

Thanks for taking a look. I was a bit concerned as the gap in her front teeth was slightly different to our Doe however I do agree that it is worth submitting.

Carl, are you in touch with Hal Brown on this one? Otherwise I am happy to email him. :)

The circumstances appear to suggest that she was the victim of a crime at the time that she disappeared (i.e., a year and a half earlier), although there is nothing rock-solid to prove that she died at that time.

Regarding Molly's disappearance, I did some research and saw that she had used her credit card on at least 2 occasions after she went missing and that the petrol station attendants believe that it was her when the police asked (or a woman anyway).

Quite strange circumstances nonetheless.......

CarlK90245 & professoressa,

Thanks for taking a look. I was a bit concerned as the gap in her front teeth was slightly different to our Doe however I do agree that it is worth submitting.

Carl, are you in touch with Hal Brown on this one? Otherwise I am happy to email him. :)

He is usually pretty responsive to inquiries from the public, so I suggest that you go ahead and drop him an e-mail.

While I am definitely put off by the time lag, the resemblance is startling. That scar (?) across the nose on JD and Mary Little is what does it for me. Here's hoping that this young lady can have her name back at last.

While I am definitely put off by the time lag, the resemblance is startling. That scar (?) across the nose on JD and Mary Little is what does it for me. Here's hoping that this young lady can have her name back at last.

I noticed that too! However Mary has no dna, fingerprints or dentals according to namus. Hopefully this is incorrect or has been updated and merely not changed on Namus!

I really don't think her nose is swollen from pregnancy. Most first time mothers have little physical change at 3 mos.... Not even in the belly.

Swelling usually occurs in the feet hands, etc... later on... 7, 8 months...

I would guess her swelling is injury or death related.... If you are dying and they toss you in a trunk and then a ditch, I'd imagine your face could get pretty banged up and swollen....Not her normal look.

Hal wrote back this morning:

Thank you, Alexandra! I appreciate the tip, will look onto this and get back to you. Thanks, -Hal

Will let everyone know when I hear anything further.

I just ran across a recent story of a doctor, Kermit Gosnell, who was arrested for killing a woman on whom he was performing an abortion and for illegal abortions including inducing labor of fetuses as late as the eighth month and then killing them after they were born alive (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7906881). He also was responsible for the deaths of several other women, including one who died when her uterus was perforated during a procedure. According to the article he killed several women and often did not even tell women that there had been complications during their abortions.

He was practicing in West Philadelphia, and what caused my radar to go off is that his practice was close enough to Delaware that several workers in his clinic lived there. Google maps says Bear, DE is 55 minutes away.

According to a Wikipedia entry, he graduated with an MD from Thomas Jefferson in 1966. The ABC article says he opened a clinic in 1972, but I wonder what he was doing between 1966 and 1972. According to the grand jury report he started, but did not complete a residency in obstetrics 40 years ago (that would have been 1971). His licensure revocation says he started practicing in 1966. Was he performing illegal abortions as early as 1967?

He apparently had previously worked at Atlantic Women's Medical Services in Wilmington, DE, around 19 minutes from Bear (WARNING: DISTURBING PHOTOS -- http://saynsumthn.wordpress.com/201...a-for-abortion-clinic-worker-in-gosnell-case/).

Maybe this is too far-fetched, but it sounds like he has killed without any regrets or second thoughts, and I can't help but wonder if our Jane Doe is one of his early victims.

I just ran across a recent story of a doctor, Kermit Gosnell, who was arrested for killing a woman on whom he was performing an abortion and for illegal abortions including inducing labor of fetuses as late as the eighth month and then killing them after they were born alive (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7906881). He also was responsible for the deaths of several other women, including one who died when her uterus was perforated during a procedure. According to the article he killed several women and often did not even tell women that there had been complications during their abortions.

He was practicing in West Philadelphia, and what caused my radar to go off is that his practice was close enough to Delaware that several workers in his clinic lived there. Google maps says Bear, DE is 55 minutes away.

According to a Wikipedia entry, he graduated with an MD from Thomas Jefferson in 1966. The ABC article says he opened a clinic in 1972, but I wonder what he was doing between 1966 and 1972. According to the grand jury report he started, but did not complete a residency in obstetrics 40 years ago (that would have been 1971). His licensure revocation says he started practicing in 1966. Was he performing illegal abortions as early as 1967?

He apparently had previously worked at Atlantic Women's Medical Services in Wilmington, DE, around 19 minutes from Bear (WARNING: DISTURBING PHOTOS -- http://saynsumthn.wordpress.com/201...a-for-abortion-clinic-worker-in-gosnell-case/).

Maybe this is too far-fetched, but it sounds like he has killed without any regrets or second thoughts, and I can't help but wonder if our Jane Doe is one of his early victims.

I had the exact same thoughts, Skygirl!! I posted about this UID on the thread about his case. Perhaps we can garner some information from that thread that will help here in figuring out where she was from or who she is... FYI here is the thread...

DA: W. Phila abortion doc killed woman, 7 infants - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I will follow up with Hal and let you know how I go re: potential match

Thanks so much, Harmony - I didn't see your post until this morning but I'll take a look, too. I would really like to solve this one.

I can't believe that this case isn't solvable with the clear photos and FFPE heart tissue.

I received the following email with regards to my follow up on our potential match over the weekend:

Dear %^$#,

Just a brief update... Actually, this case still remains a potential match.

The problem, is that we can't “forensically” exclude Mary Shotwell Little, because Atlanta PD doesn’t have any forensic identifiers (dental, DNA, fingerprints, etc.).

We have been strongly encouraging Atlanta PD detectives to try and obtain some family reference DNA samples!

All the best, -Hal

Fingers crossed Atlanta PD Detectives obtain DNA soon

P

Wow, Pearly, exciting!

But he didn't have to call you names :biggrin:

I've been looking at what I can find about Mary Shotwell Little, and everything I've seen says her eyes were green/hazel. The ones of this UID are definitely brown.

Pearly, Did Hal ever get back to you about this one?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back