DE - Dominion Voting Systems vs. Fox News, $1.6B Defamation Trial for 2020 election lies, 17 Apr 2023 *Settled $787m* + add’l trials

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is an article published last night in our Sydney Morning Herald, where a former Prime Minister and now our new consul-general in NY (Malcolm Turnbull) has stated that:

“I say this without any sense of hyperbole: I do not believe that there is any individual alive today that has done more damage to American democracy than Rupert Murdoch. You might say [he’s] Australia’s deadliest export.”

“What we saw ..... was a government that was nearly overthrown in a coup promoted by the president – and in an environment that was enabled by Fox News and other right-wing media, promoting stuff they knew was untrue.

“How do we deal with this?” ... noting that the media landscape had become so hyper-partisan that many people “are now living in information silos” with opposing views of reality.

Citing former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, who once suggested a tactic to “flood the zone with s__t”, Turnbull argued the answer was to do the opposite: “flood the zone with facts”.

Rupert’s our ‘deadliest export’, Trump’s an egomaniac bully, says Turnbull
Bannon was and continues to be one of the biggest instigators of the constant stream of lies that has attracted the Trump cult followers.

One of my biggest concerns is what exactly is the relationship between Trump and Murdoch and Bannon because I think all three are incredibly corrupt. All three are incredible egomaniacs.

JMO

Bannon was and continues to be one of the biggest instigators of the constant stream of lies that has attracted the Trump cult followers.

One of my biggest concerns is what exactly is the relationship between Trump and Murdoch and Bannon because I think all three are incredibly corrupt. All three are incredible egomaniacs.

JMO

Murdoch, I believe, is in it for the money.

The media mogul is the chair of News Corp. and Fox Corp., which are both listed in New York. The former has newspaper subsidiaries including The Wall Street Journal, the New York Post, The Times of London, and The Sun, as well as titles in Australia.
Fox Corp. includes Fox News, America's most popular cable-news network, and the Fox TV stations.

Rupert Murdoch is worth $8 billion despite getting divorced 4 times. Here's how the media mogul spends his money.

Murdoch, I believe, is in it for the money.

The media mogul is the chair of News Corp. and Fox Corp., which are both listed in New York. The former has newspaper subsidiaries including The Wall Street Journal, the New York Post, The Times of London, and The Sun, as well as titles in Australia.
Fox Corp. includes Fox News, America's most popular cable-news network, and the Fox TV stations.

Rupert Murdoch is worth $8 billion despite getting divorced 4 times. Here's how the media mogul spends his money.
Bannon and Trump are also in it for the money. Bannon and some pals started a non-profit that supposedly was to raise money to build a wall along our border with Mexico. Instead, they pocketed the money. Bannon was charged and pardoned by Trump. Now, Bannon is facing NY charges.

Despite being pardoned, Bannon still faces New York state money laundering and conspiracy charges over the wall under an indictment from Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg.

There is an article published last night in our Sydney Morning Herald, where a former Prime Minister and now our new consul-general in NY (Malcolm Turnbull) has stated that:

“I say this without any sense of hyperbole: I do not believe that there is any individual alive today that has done more damage to American democracy than Rupert Murdoch. You might say [he’s] Australia’s deadliest export.”

“What we saw ..... was a government that was nearly overthrown in a coup promoted by the president – and in an environment that was enabled by Fox News and other right-wing media, promoting stuff they knew was untrue.

“How do we deal with this?” ... noting that the media landscape had become so hyper-partisan that many people “are now living in information silos” with opposing views of reality.

Citing former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, who once suggested a tactic to “flood the zone with s__t”, Turnbull argued the answer was to do the opposite: “flood the zone with facts”.

Rupert’s our ‘deadliest export’, Trump’s an egomaniac bully, says Turnbull
Very good op Ed. Saying the things others are afraid to say. It’s all about money.

Here’s a look at where Dominion’s cases stand:

Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell and Mike Lindell​

Discovery in the case is ongoing (Lindell has tried to avoid complying with it) and will be completed in September. Nichols has set a February conference, to set a trial date, which could come as soon as the middle of next year.

Patrick Byrne, former Overstock.com CEO​

Discovery is scheduled to be completed later this year. A trial date has not yet been set, but could take place as soon as the middle of next year.

Newsmax​

In 2021, Newsmax apologized to Eric Coomer, a Dominion employee, who it falsely said had rigged votes.
Discovery in the case is ongoing.

One America News Network
Discovery is ongoing. A trial date has not yet been set, but it could take place some time next year.

For the Guiliani, etc case I have a status hearing for 7/11/23 @ 10am. I am keeping track of that one.

edited to add: @JerseyGirl will there be a separate thread for that one?

DC - U.S. Dominion, Inc. vs Sidney Powell, Rudolph W. Guiliani, My Pillow, Inc. / Defendants/Counter & third Party plaintiffs vs. Smartmatic USA Corp. Civil Action #1:21-cv-00040 (CJN) U.S District Court for DC. U.S. District Judge Carl J. Nichols

For the Guiliani, etc case I have a status hearing for 7/11/23 @ 10am. I am keeping track of that one.

edited to add: @JerseyGirl will there be a separate thread for that one?

DC - U.S. Dominion, Inc. vs Sidney Powell, Rudolph W. Guiliani, My Pillow, Inc. / Defendants/Counter & third Party plaintiffs vs. Smartmatic USA Corp. Civil Action #1:21-cv-00040 (CJN) U.S District Court for DC. U.S. District Judge Carl J. Nichols

I will set up new threads as they get trial dates. We can keep updating the cases here.

Fox is sued again.

The former executive director of the Department of Homeland Security's short-lived disinformation board is suing Fox News for defamation, in the same court where the network just settled its suit with Dominion Voting Systems.

Nina Jankowicz was tapped to lead the Disinformation Governance Board, which was created last spring by Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas to "protect Americans from disinformation that threatens the homeland" -- but the board immediately found detractors in the GOP and some leading civil liberties groups over concerns that Jankowicz and the board would be acting as "truth police."

Jankowicz's lawsuit, filed in Delaware state court, alleges that Fox defamed Jankowicz by telling viewers that the board was out to censor the American public, causing Jankowicz to be "doxed, threatened, harassed relentlessly, and even cyberstalked."

“Starting soon, we'll be bringing a new version of the show we've been doing for the last six and a half years to Twitter,” Tucker Carlson tweeted in a video message on Tuesday. “Free speech is the main right that you have. Without it, you have no others. See you soon.”

Carlson did not offer details of his new show, except to say, “There aren't many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one remaining in the world is Twitter.”

But Twitter owner Elon Musk also suggested that a Tucker Carlson show on the social network is not yet a done deal.

“I also want to be clear that we have not signed a deal of any kind whatsoever,” Musk tweeted. “Tucker is subject to the same rules & rewards of all content creators.”

Disavowing any conflict of interest, Fox Corporation’s powerhouse law firm distanced itself from ex-host Tucker Carlson as a client in a discrimination lawsuit brought by his former producer Abby Grossberg.

Shortly before Fox’s settlement with Dominion, Grossberg sued the network and Carlson in New York and Delaware, claiming pervasive religious and gender bias. Grossberg also accused Fox’s attorneys of coaching her into giving “coerced” and misleading testimony that would make her and host Maria Bartiromo the network’s “sacrificial female lambs.”

Fox later entered into a $787.5 million deal with Dominion on the eve of trial, but Grossberg’s litigation endured.

On Friday, Fox’s law firm Baker McKenzie — which has dozens of offices internationally and reported $3.1 billion in revenue in 2021 — affirmed in court that it had “not entered an appearance on behalf of Mr. Carlson on this Court’s docket.”

Grossberg’s legal team asked U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman to order Carlson to obtain new counsel before the next hearing scheduled for June 15, 2023, one month from today.

“For all of the foregoing reasons we respectfully reiterate our prior request that Mr. Carlson be ordered to obtain suitable counsel prior to the June 15th Preliminary Conference, as well as in advance of his obligation to answer or otherwise move with respect to plaintiff’s pleading on or before June 16, 2023,” the filing concludes.

“Starting soon, we'll be bringing a new version of the show we've been doing for the last six and a half years to Twitter,” Tucker Carlson tweeted in a video message on Tuesday. “Free speech is the main right that you have. Without it, you have no others. See you soon.”

Carlson did not offer details of his new show, except to say, “There aren't many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one remaining in the world is Twitter.”

But Twitter owner Elon Musk also suggested that a Tucker Carlson show on the social network is not yet a done deal.

“I also want to be clear that we have not signed a deal of any kind whatsoever,” Musk tweeted. “Tucker is subject to the same rules & rewards of all content creators.”

Him and Elon Musk are two peas in one racist/xenophobic pod.

Lachlan Murdoch, CEO of Fox Corporation and heir to Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, spoke at the SVB MoffettNathanson conference today (May 17)

Lachlan said none of the Fox News hosts engaged in defaming Dominion. Fox would have won the lawsuit, he said, despite legal experts citing Dominion’s strong position. A load of evidence emerged following the filing, including leaked text messages from hosts Carlson, Hannity and Laura Ingraham revealing their personal feelings towards former President Donald Trump and how to cover the election. While Fox’s stock hasn’t suffered from the negative press coverage surrounding the lawsuit, the trial could have still been a long and costly fight that further dissuaded Fox’s audience. The move to settle was a business decision, Lachlan said. “It would have been too much of a distraction” for Fox executives and the network’s audience, he said.

When asked how Fox plans to avoid future lawsuits, Lachlan responded, “We can be CNN.” The network recently aired an interview with Trump, where he called into question the 2020 election’s legitimacy. They haven’t been sued yet, Lachlan said.

RSBM

When asked how Fox plans to avoid future lawsuits, Lachlan responded, “We can be CNN.” The network recently aired an interview with Trump, where he called into question the 2020 election’s legitimacy. They haven’t been sued yet, Lachlan said.

Of course, the difference being that DT was pushing the BIG election LIE on CNN. Not the CNN host.

On Fox, it was the actual hosts.

Asked by a Dominion attorney whether "Fox endorsed at times this false notion of a stolen election," Murdoch demurred, saying, "Not Fox, no. Not Fox. But maybe Lou Dobbs, maybe Maria [Bartiromo] as commentators."

The lawyer pressed on. Did Fox's Bartiromo endorse it?
Murdoch's reply: "Yes. C'mon."
Fox News host Jeanine Pirro? "I think so."
Then-Fox Business Network host Dobbs? "Oh, a lot."
Fox News prime-time star Sean Hannity? "A bit."

Pressed whether they endorsed the narrative of a stolen election, Murdoch finally gave in: "Yes. They endorsed."

Lachlan Murdoch, CEO of Fox Corporation and heir to Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, spoke at the SVB MoffettNathanson conference today (May 17)

Lachlan said none of the Fox News hosts engaged in defaming Dominion. Fox would have won the lawsuit, he said, despite legal experts citing Dominion’s strong position. A load of evidence emerged following the filing, including leaked text messages from hosts Carlson, Hannity and Laura Ingraham revealing their personal feelings towards former President Donald Trump and how to cover the election. While Fox’s stock hasn’t suffered from the negative press coverage surrounding the lawsuit, the trial could have still been a long and costly fight that further dissuaded Fox’s audience. The move to settle was a business decision, Lachlan said. “It would have been too much of a distraction” for Fox executives and the network’s audience, he said.

He's saying that because he's worried the stock is going to crash. I think much of the stock is held by the Murdoch family as well as by all of the Fox employees including Carlson, Hannity, Ingraham, etc. My investment bank gives it a "neutral" rating.

JMO

A month ago, Dominion Voting Systems seemed like a dragon slayer. The conservative news behemoth Fox News had just agreed to pay Dominion $787.5 million to settle a defamation suit that was hours away from going to trial. It was the largest such settlement ever announced by a media company.

And yet, to Dominion CEO John Poulos, even that payday likely won’t be enough to save his company. The reputational damage Dominion has endured is just too severe, he tells TIME in a strikingly pessimistic interview about the company’s future.

“It’s just easier for our customers to use something that’s not Dominion,” Poulos says. “We just know that our business ultimately goes to zero.”

A month ago, Dominion Voting Systems seemed like a dragon slayer. The conservative news behemoth Fox News had just agreed to pay Dominion $787.5 million to settle a defamation suit that was hours away from going to trial. It was the largest such settlement ever announced by a media company.

And yet, to Dominion CEO John Poulos, even that payday likely won’t be enough to save his company. The reputational damage Dominion has endured is just too severe, he tells TIME in a strikingly pessimistic interview about the company’s future.

“It’s just easier for our customers to use something that’s not Dominion,” Poulos says. “We just know that our business ultimately goes to zero.”

They might need to rebrand their company. Change the name. Just to be able to move away from the fallout.

It shouldn't be that way, they have legitimately won their case. But, unfortunately, their marketplace has been (and continues to be) put under fire by those who LOSE elections.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollyWobbles
Back