DE DE - John 'Jack' Wheeler, 66, Wilmington, 30 Dec 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One of the more curious things to me in the last day or so are the comments by that taxicab driver, the one whose number supposedly showed up on Wheeler's cellphone.

In the article I just posted it says:

"Authorities have also taken Athel Scott, a cab driver, in for questioning after finding his phone number on Wheeler's cell phone.

Scott says he doesn't know how his number got on Wheeler's phone, but he says he does remember seeing him.

"I seen him one day by the Hotel du Pont and one day I seen him at the train station going inside that little store, that's all I know," Scott said.

Police are still trying to find out how Wheeler got around after returning to Wilmington on December 28th from Washington, D.C.

He somehow made it to New Castle and back again to Wilmington, while his car sat parked in the garage across the street from the train station."

I just think it is really curious how a cab driver, with no other indication that he personally knew John Wheeler, how he would be able to say that he saw him in those specific locations. And, it doesn't sound like he means that he saw him in those last few days but that he saw him over the course of time in those two locations. Out of all the people in, out, and passing by the Hotel DuPont, and all the people at the train station, what would make Wheeler stand out to Scott? His statement just doesn't ring true to me.

The cabbie's number being on his phone is uber weird. IMO, people don't call cabbies, they call cab companies who then dispatch a cab driver. There was either a personal relationship with them or the cabbie's got a lot of explaining to do. (When I say personal relationship I'm only referring to a friendship where Wheeler could call that cabbie directly for faster service, but the guy is denying the call. How long the phone call lasted would say a lot.

When they found his number on Wheeler's phone was a preset number or just a number in his call history? It appears the cabbie knows more than he's saying right now. JMO

Another theory that comes to mind is that Wheeler was having an affair, which would explain the proximity to a hotel and the need for a hoodie to make himself less recognizable. JMO

I just wanted to say that the notion of a concussion without significant injury, in an adult, is pretty difficult to swallow.

I've walloped my noggin many times (riding a horse is a dangerous hobby...so is skydiving, and being a blackbelt). I've had concussion a few times, but it's always been "obvious", inasmuch as there's been some sort of contusion/bruise accompanying it. And it's taken a big impact to create it.

Now, that may be because I'm notoriously hardheaded...but I don't think so. The adult skull is a pretty solid bone, and it does take a significant impact to disrupt the cushioning of the brain and move the brain - and then bruise the brain (which is what 'concussion' is).

Yes, we hear of stories where one slips, knocks their head, and dies...but that is mostly a brain bleed, not a bruise (and there is a difference). The bleed would then fill the subdura space, create pressure, shift the brain and severe brain functions. It can be fast, like Natasha Richardson, or slow, like Brett Michaels. Slow is, obviously, better prognostically. And it can also happen in sports like boxing, with repeated blows to the same area of the skull, but only in particular areas...not all over. Targeted, I suppose I'm trying to say.

But those incidents don't happen regularly. And they don't come from getting wonked on the head while someone is trying to steal a briefcase...it would take a serious weapon to create enough force, which would leave some pretty obvious evidence that someone got thunked...not speculation if they were or not.

I don't agree with the PI's opinion stated earlier in this thread...and with the ME stating COD was homicide, I can't imagine they did that because he had a bonk on the head.

It seems to me he was murdered. It's the who, what, when, why, and, of course, HOW that seem to be stumping a lot of folks...but I'm fairly sure it's not because he got bonked on the head during a mugging.

Of course, just my opinion...which is worth pretty much nil.

Best-
Herding Cats

Isn't there also the possibility that a possible "personal relationship" with the cabbie could have been far more than platonic? The wearing of a hoodie, changing clothes--that sounds very much like a man who has just visited his lover or a prostitute and doesn't wish to be recognized. And where did these outfits come from?

I missed the part about him wearing a hoodie. Unless you are jogging or you are 18,do 60+ men wear hoodies out? Did he have the hood up?

Maybe someone gave him the hoodie, as they felt he was homeless without a coat.

I missed the part about him wearing a hoodie. Unless you are jogging or you are 18,do 60+ men wear hoodies out? Did he have the hood up?

I am well past 60 and I wear a hoodie with the hood up if there

is a cool breeze or if it is raining.

Here is the front entry, 11th Street, valet parking area, and possibly TAXI area of the Hotel Dupont.
This photo is from 3 years ago, so maybe someone who lives there and drives by there can tell us if it still looks like this. If it does, then this is one of the areas he was seen on video passing through after leaving the Nemours building, and going beyond the Hotel DuPont.

"Newark (Del.) police say they obtained surveillance video from Dec. 30. 2010 that shows Wheeler exiting the Nemours building in Wilmington using the 11th Street exit.

After exiting the building, Wheeler begins to walk southeast on 11th Street past and through the Hotel DuPont valet parking area.

He continues southeast and crosses over Market Street and is last seen in camera view at 8:42 pm walking on the west sidewalk of 11th Street."

Attachments

• hotel_dupont_entry_2007.jpg
    hotel_dupont_entry_2007.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 24
I saw that quote too, about 'seeing him around the train station' and then the sort of qualifier that he often gave his card to people he drove. My problem with that is that it seems to me that Wheeler's normal routine was to drive himself to the train station parking garage where I believe he had some kind of monthly or yearly rate. From there he would take the train either to Washington or New York.

Unfortunately, the problem with that assumption is, it has been reported that his car was in that parking garage and had been there since December 13th. But, we know, or we think we know, that he had traveled to both New York and to Washington DC at least once since the 13th. So, I can't figure out why his car would still be in that garage.

If he traveled by train with some frequency, then its possible that the cabbie could have seen and noticed him around the train station. But, its the other quote, to another reporter where he said he had seen him outside the DuPont Hotel, that bothers me the most.

It just seems to me that there is something the cab driver isn't saying.

I wonder if the cab driver knows the people building the house. I wonder if they have his number.

The entire situation sounds like he was having a psychotic break. Did he have any known history of mental illness?

I just don't think it's murder. Although the other possibility I would entertain is one of intentional drugging by someone who wanted to get at state secrets. I never would have believed the Alexander Litvinenko case, before it happened. Incredible!

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko[/ame]

My thoughts are with Mr. Wheeler's family at this very difficult time.

The entire situation sounds like he was having a psychotic break. Did he have any known history of mental illness?

I just don't think it's murder. Although the other possibility I would entertain is one of intentional drugging by someone who wanted to get at state secrets. I never would have believed the Alexander Litvinenko case, before it happened. Incredible!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko

My thoughts are with Mr. Wheeler's family at this very difficult time.

Excellent allusion to the Litvinenko case.

I saw that quote too, about 'seeing him around the train station' and then the sort of qualifier that he often gave his card to people he drove. My problem with that is that it seems to me that Wheeler's normal routine was to drive himself to the train station parking garage where I believe he had some kind of monthly or yearly rate. From there he would take the train either to Washington or New York.

Unfortunately, the problem with that assumption is, it has been reported that his car was in that parking garage and had been there since December 13th. But, we know, or we think we know, that he had traveled to both New York and to Washington DC at least once since the 13th. So, I can't figure out why his car would still be in that garage.

If he traveled by train with some frequency, then its possible that the cabbie could have seen and noticed him around the train station. But, its the other quote, to another reporter where he said he had seen him outside the DuPont Hotel, that bothers me the most.

It just seems to me that there is something the cab driver isn't saying.

I wonder if the cab driver knows the people building the house. I wonder if they have his number.

13 December seems to be well before the period in which Mr Wheeler seems to have been acting out of character. He had numerous business meetings, etc, in the month of December and no one has come forward to say he seemed odd during any of those meetings.

At about 5 pm on 28 December, he made a post to a forum for the West Point class of 1966. The post was about football and whether West Point should withdraw from the NCAA. The person who showed that post to the media (and to LE) said that it was a normal post for Mr Wheeler.

So I would guess that the strange behaviour started at some point fairly shortly after that post at 5 pm 28 December.

My guess as to why he left his car in the parking garage for over two weeks is that he may have gotten to the age where he didn't like to drive himself in cold weather. I don't care if the seats are heated, the car doesn't really warm up for a good ten minutes or so, seats included, and as I get older, I dread those ten minutes more and more. It would be a lot nicer to get into a car that was already warmed up and let someone else deal with the winter driving (when I win the lottery, I'll get right on it).

Or he may have only been in the habit of using the car when his wife was in town with him. When she was at their place in NYC, he may have felt like cabs were easier and less hassle.

Mr Wheeler had enough money that using cabs would not be a financial strain. It was probably trivial enough to be budgeted under "misc"!

I can add that the tone of emails should be noted. That's exactly how my family knows to cast the net wide for me. When I have a major seizure and wander, I send out the most nonsensical and overly sentimental emails. I can type but my spelling deteriorates and the tone totally changes from my norm. Afterwards, I have no memory of even writing them. I've posted a few on WS and asked that they be removed. They look like something that an extremely drunk person would write.

Then, I take off, only to be stopped and flummoxed by gates or fences or a wall. But there's no way that I would carry my shoe or talk coherently to someone. I have no idea if I'm even dressed. I did end up under a bush for a full 13 hours. I guess if it had been a dumpster, I could have been a goner. It's literally like walking through a dream.

FWIW, I'm not sensing a seizure or fronto-temporal lobe lapse. My money is still on some sort of drugging.

I can add that the tone of emails should be noted. That's exactly how my family knows to cast the net wide for me. When I have a major seizure and wander, I send out the most nonsensical and overly sentimental emails. I can type but my spelling deteriorates and the tone totally changes from my norm. Afterwards, I have no memory of even writing them. I've posted a few on WS and asked that they be removed. They look like something that an extremely drunk person would write.

Then, I take off, only to be stopped and flummoxed by gates or fences or a wall. But there's no way that I would carry my shoe or talk coherently to someone. I have no idea if I'm even dressed. I did end up under a bush for a full 13 hours. I guess if it had been a dumpster, I could have been a goner. It's literally like walking through a dream.

FWIW, I'm not sensing a seizure or fronto-temporal lobe lapse. My money is still on some sort of drugging.

This sounds like me on Ambien. I ended up in the ER this week for acting "crazy" while on Ambien. I am no longer taking it but it does have that effect on people. The thought has crossed my mind that maybe he was taking something that caused him to wander and he hit his head..

This was a curious thing I read (from pg. 2 of the link).

Catherine Boyle is the security guard at the County Courthouse where she encountered Mr. Wheeler.

The article says (the "he" is in reference to Mr. Wheeler), "Boyer said the man then said he was staying at an old hotel nearby and that he had to get there. He then walked off."

If it is true, was it usual for him to stay at a hotel? Wasn't his home not that far away? I'm not familiar with the area.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110105/NEWS01/101050356/Delaware-crime-In-Wheeler-s-final-days-details-of-a-disheveled-man

I'm curious, Missizzy, as to why you don't think it's a seizure. Is it that they don't last that long? (i.e. as long as JW was acting out of character) And you say that you wouldn't carry your shoe during your episodes. How do you know that? I appreciate hearing your perspective! I really don't know all that much about seizures, brain injuries and psychotic breaks. The brain is simply an amazing, complex thing for me to behold.

Thanks so much.

Brilliant connection w/ Litvenyenko. Terrifying, utterly fascinating case with Litvenyenko, and it might be a parallel here.

Best-
Herding Cats

Exclusive: Wheeler apparently called for a cab to Philadelphia

From Susan Candiotti, CNN
January 7, 2011 11:24 p.m. EST

The meat of it:

"Wilmington, Delaware (CNN) -- A former Pentagon official whose body was found in a garbage truck on New Year's Eve apparently called for a taxi ride from Delaware to Philadelphia but disappeared before the cab arrived, the manager of a taxi company said Friday.

Komi Azudze told CNN that Newark, Delaware, police had asked him about a potential fare. Azudze, the taxi company manager, also drives a cab.

"The police asked if I received a call from an old man, at a certain number, from the intersection of routes 273 and 9, and I think it was the 29th," Azudze said.

Azudze said he keeps a record of most of the service calls he receives.

"I asked them why they wanted all this information. They told me he was dead, or somebody killed him," Azudze recalled."

much more ...

Snoopster--Good questions. I just know what I experience. I have a degenerative central nervous system disease--spinocerebellar ataxia--diagnosed over 6 years ago. Sudden onset. I was perfectly fine one minute and my life flipped upside down the next. It was like a stroke. I have a tremendously difficult time walking or finding my balance. I look totally drunk all the time. I slur my speech and can't find words. I can only communicate fluently through typing. That's the way I communicate with my family now. I can smile and listen but I get upset with my inability to communicate through language. The seizures had an onset about 3 years after the onset of the disease. Those three years were spent looking at the ceiling. Seizures are not extremely common but not rare with any of the ataxias. They can also be co-morbid with MS.

I have about 3 different types. One is a drop seizure...where I hear a sudden and unexpected sound ie a cough or a car horn and I just drop flat to the ground and come to about 30 minutes later. No attempt at protecting myself. Another type are seizures in my sleep where I thrash about and convulse. Another is when I sense an aura and have a full grand-mal type seizure. I'm very very violent and combative. I bite and head bang and break bones. I have been known on several occasions to have these seizures while alone and to wake up hours later or the next day in a strange place--like under a bush or in a dog food bowl or under a cupboard. This disease requires a great deal of humility!! I have no memory of what has transpired but I am commonly found half-way under a wall or a fence or a gate. I seem to have a great desire to "get out". I've had neighbors and family observe hundreds of these seizures and I mutter and cry but I don't converse normally. I don't recognize people or ask questions. I will not take directions but instead have to be physically restrained and directed. I've been asked my name and didn't know it. I will often talk about ridiculous things like I am going to see the cat in the field or act as if I am in a different time of my life. A bit embarrassing but I try very hard to be objective and keep a sense of humor about this as does my family. I'm typically a very put together person and always dressed very nicely but when I seize, my clothes are disshevilled and I have no modesty. I just sense that I would not notice if a shoe was off my foot and reach down and carry it. Heck, I don't even notice if I have my skirt on when I wander out into traffic. I didn't know that I was barefoot when I spent the night under a bush. I always wet myself and bite my tongue and lips to a degree that they bleed quite profusely. My eyes don't focus but they aren't red. There is no way that I could enter a coffee house and order a coffee. I might stumble in and fall on the floor. We know that I can push doors open but I cannot pull them back. I can walk but I also crawl sometimes. Thus, we have all sorts of little tricks to keep me safe. After a seizure, I fall into a deep sleep for about 4-6 hours and make a gradual readjustment to the sense of reality. It's like straightening a room and setting it right again.

That is the one part of Mr. Wheeler's actions that concern me. The sleep is so deep, I can not be roused. It feels deeper than actual sleep. I suppose if he did have some sort of seizure, different from mine, it is possible that he sought warmth in a dumpster and fell into a deep sleep. I know I have no sense of cold or heat. None at all. I can have a seizure, sleep, and be back posting fairly quickly but my baseline of disability stays the same. I still can't talk coherently, make a sandwich or walk without great difficulty. I have to be propped up in bed as I can't support my own weight, even though I'm very petite. After a seizure, I couldn't answer a personal email but I can follow a format of posting. No multi-tasking ever whatsoever. No sudden movements. No noise. No surprises. That's why I now live alone on top of a very quiet mountain and have no visitors--only my husband every few days. I have a small yard with a gate that locks me in and all sorts of safety measures. There's no stove and everything is taped off so I can't tinker with things when out of it. I have restraints that I put on myself in bed so I don't wander at night. We've tried to cut down on the precursors of my seizures and it's been somewhat successful. I'm still here and have many many blessings and lots of fun. I refuse to be down about a few stupid seizures and challenges.

Mr. Wheeler looks to be experiencing something very different indeed. He seems to fade in and out of reality. I have a hard time believing that an idiopathic sudden onset of a disease would look quite like this. I keep going back to a stroke or a concussion but he just doesn't look to be in great pain. He looks lost and confused and drugged to me.

I'm sorry if that's not very clear but it's almost as if humans have so many different senses that we don't have words to describe. I'm sure there are other posters who have seizure disorders who could expound on their experiences. There are so many different types but I just don't know of a variety that would suddenly strike an elder man and cause his behavior to look like this. My heart goes out to him, whatever happened. The confusion bothers me the most of all. Confusion is so frightening.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susielarios
Back