VA Debbie Anwyll, March 8, 1979, 14 years old, Chantilly

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Zach Ford

Reaction score
I'm trying to compile information on the March 8, 1979 murder of Debbie Anwyll, a 14-year-old stabbed to death in her home in the Greenbriar neighborhood of Chantilly, Virginia. I have collected the standard newspaper sources and spoken to a couple of people who lived in the neighborhood at the time. I would be particularly interested in hearing from anyone else who knew Debbie or lived in the same subdivision.

Here is a contemporary article from the Washington Post:

It's a somewhat peculiar case; there was not (at least not publicly released) evidence of sexual assault and it would seem to be a bizarre time for her to run into a burglar. She was killed soon after coming home from school and it would seem even the dumbest or most amateur burglar would think that was not a good time to commit a burglary when many people would be returning home. She was killed in a one-hour window between when she came home and when her mother arrived home. Police have always suspected it was someone who knew Debbie's patterns and who could quickly blend into the neighborhood.

In 1996 police conducted DNA tests on a suspect. I do not know if he was actually cleared vs. a match not being possible/incomplete profile/etc., but he was not charged.

Below is the sole article I've found discussing the 1996 DNA tests. I have never found a follow-up article.

2023-05-23_14-34-55.png

Very sad. I don't have anything additional to offer. I will say that in reading the articles, it seems she was found around 330 pm by her mother, having arrived home ~ 1 hour earlier, 230 pm. I don't think of that as being right before people are coming home - I guess I think of that time as being later with most people working an 8-5 type job.

What I'm getting at is that any burglar would probably guess that kids would be coming back from school in the late afternoon and break in earlier in the day. The '96 suspect was a dropout from the same school Debbie went to, so he certainly would have known what time school got out.

Have info; grew up in Greenbriar. Attended same HS when this happened. Knew family, location, parties involved. Horrible and stunning details, hard to believe this was never solved. True, location of their house made for easily hidden escape. But still...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back