Decomp smell **REVISIT**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I always thought it was strange that Casey took a shower at JG's apartment. Maybe due to the smell?
I believe that she had already disposed of the body either before or on June 27th. She most likely had nowhere to sleep on the 30th (Tony had left that day) and she spent most of the night in his car. She needed a place to shower.

MOO

I have a question, do you think one could tell the difference between human decomp and animal decomp? The reason I ask is because this past week I had to help my 7th grade son with his insect project for science. He had collected about 18 insects and had to keep them frozen to preserve them until he could mount them on a board. He took them all out of the freezer one week from this past Thursday and took them school for that week. And this past Thursday he brought them home so we mount the insects on a board. I have to say not only does my office still smell, I had to where a mask just to help him to keep for throwing up. I have never smelled anything like it! It was by far the worst smell I have ever encountered.

People might couldn't, but the dogs could tell the dif.

People might couldn't, but the dogs could tell the dif.
I have smelled a decomposing rat and was told it was NOTHING like a decomposing human. Human flesh psroduces different chemicals than animals do. Kobe explained this very well BEFORE he was hired for the defense. Dogs are trained to alert on two chemicals produced by HUMAN decomp.

I don't know how long it takes for decomp to start, but I'll tell you this. My husband died in our bed. It took about 2 hours to have him removed from our home, and the smell left behind was bad. I had to remove all of the carpeting and have the AC ducts cleaned to rid the house of the smell of death.

Some things really need clarification. Earlier on in the thread (first 2 or 3 pages) it was mentioned that pigs smell the closest to human, etc.

1. Cadaver dogs trained on porcine decomp will "hit" on porcine decomp or the decomp of other animals, not the human animal.
2. The dogs trained in the UK (where that link was from) are trained on porcine and psuedo because it's illegal to use human cadaver for these training purposes in the UK.
3. Many people have the ability to get small parts of the human body, decomposing, for "training purposes". Often, the dogs are overwhelmed when they actually come across a whole body decomposing. They are not all trained on a whole decomposing or large percentage of decomposing body. For that reason the dogs really do need proper training and certification. That includes more than just the ocassional decomposing finger or toe. For that reason the dog will give a "false alert" of sorts at the very outskirts of the decomposing body as a result of the "scent". (Very simplified explanation.)
4. "Pseudo" putracine and cadaverine are no substitute for accuracy in the properly trained cadaver dog. They will hit on the "pseudo" which makes for inaccuracy.

Now, if anyone doubts this look at the case of Analice Guerra. Some yahoo who was brought in from the UK with his Brittany Spaniels, a supposed "expert" that puts me in mind of that Anderson woman, at considerable expense.

He stated emphatically that the child would be found in the creek behind the apartments as that's where his dogs tracked. Considerable (hundreds of thousands of dollars) were spent draining that creek. (Guess who ultimately pays for that and Smyrna is not a "big" town.) She was not there. Nor were the remains of any "animals". They did find a missing bicycle.
rolleye.gif

This was after local Bloodhound teams tracked and found no trace of her heading towards that creek at all! They were accurate. She was "tracked" to the parking lot and this whole thing was a slap in their faces.

Her remains were found miles away, (less than 4 miles from where I live now) behind Stone's River Battlefield. Not having a map right here I would guess about 10 miles from where she "disappeared", as in home. :( There's a lot more to that story, I assure you.

The smell of decomp is one that you won't forget. I can't explain it. It does carry. When we found Terry Lattimer he'd been dead in the California Desert for several days. We smelled it from almost half a mile away while horseback. Two of the horses were skittish for several weeks afterwards in that area, and he was lifted with a backhoe, including underlying material, when he was recovered.

The bottom line is, small "decomp" material, as long as it's human is acceptable to start training with. Pseudo is not acceptable at any time. Larger bodies of decomp are really necessary to train, proof and certify the dog. An arm, a leg, a torso, etc.

Decomp'ing animals, including porcine, are used to teach a dog that there is no reward for alerting to "trash".

I don't know how long it takes for decomp to start, but I'll tell you this. My husband died in our bed. It took about 2 hours to have him removed from our home, and the smell left behind was bad. I had to remove all of the carpeting and have the AC ducts cleaned to rid the house of the smell of death.

My papa was dying of cancer and wanted to die at home vs. a hospital. My mom and all my aunts were there for the last two and half weeks as he was dying. And hospice came in and explained how the body begins to die and the process which might explain why so quickly it began to smell.

My papa was dying of cancer and wanted to die at home vs. a hospital. My mom and all my aunts were there for the last two and half weeks as he was dying. And hospice came in and explained how the body begins to die and the process which might explain why so quickly it began to smell.

It must be different for someone sick/dying over a period of time vs. someone who dies suddenly. My brother died very suddenly in bed, of a heart attack, and wasn't found for 2 days in his apt. (this was during the wintertime of that year). When my mother cleaned out his apt about 5 days after he died, she said there was no odor she noticed at all, and was quite relieved.

I have a question, do you think one could tell the difference between human decomp and animal decomp? The reason I ask is because this past week I had to help my 7th grade son with his insect project for science. He had collected about 18 insects and had to keep them frozen to preserve them until he could mount them on a board. He took them all out of the freezer one week from this past Thursday and took them school for that week. And this past Thursday he brought them home so we mount the insects on a board. I have to say not only does my office still smell, I had to where a mask just to help him to keep for throwing up. I have never smelled anything like it! It was by far the worst smell I have ever encountered.

Trust me on this............you can tell all the difference in the world. If you had a problem smelling insects.............NEVER go around a slaughter house. It is 1000 times worse, and human decomposition is 1000 times worse than animal.

It is a smell you will never forget & even stuffing Vicks up your nostrils will not hide. It gets in your throat, your hair and everything around in a very short period of time. Cars which have had human decomp in them just have to be destroyed. Even if you strip them to the metal the smell is still there.

That is true because the body starts decomposition at the moment of death.

I've never smelled a decomp human that I know of, but when I was little, our elderly neighbor used to come over for dinner all the time, as his wife had died. One night as he was leaving and he walked by me, both my dad and I noticed the "smell of death". It wasn't decomp, I've smelled many dead animals, but it was impending death. I'll never forget it. He died that night.

It must be different for someone sick/dying over a period of time vs. someone who dies suddenly. My brother died very suddenly in bed, of a heart attack, and wasn't found for 2 days in his apt. (this was during the wintertime of that year). When my mother cleaned out his apt about 5 days after he died, she said there was no odor she noticed at all, and was quite relieved.

That would be very unusual unless the temperature was very low, or she had a sinus infection. In two days a lot of decomposition has processed. Just the emptying of the bladder and bowels alone would leave a smell.

Jaguar’s been cleaned but still stinks
By Tom & Ray Magliozzi/ Car Talk
Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dear Tom and Ray:

I was given a 1987 XJ6 Jag. She’s one fine-looking lady. But she smells. I recently spent $1,100 of my government stimulus check having the car completely cleaned on the inside. My mechanic (a very honest, small-town guy) took out all the carpeting and the seats, and cleaned them. He replaced the roof lining. He then scoured the entire inside of the car before putting the seats and carpet back. He used a cleaning machine recommended by another client who’d cleaned his pickup after a fire. He sprayed everything with Febreze and placed packs of charcoal under the seats. I picked it up after a month in the shop. It’s better. But only marginally. Any other suggestions (we’ve done the cut onions, the dryer sheets, an air freshener “bomb,” etc., prior to this very expensive last resort)? Help!

- Jill

TOM: You might want to try a real bomb next.

RAY: Actually, my brother had a similar problem with his ’74 Chevy Caprice Classic Convertible, Jill. It took us a long time to find the cause of the odor. But we finally figured it out. It was him.

TOM: There are two possibilities. One is that you’ve got a bad case of mold. Cleaning the seats and carpets might not be enough if you didn’t specifically treat for mold. You need bleach or a biocide to kill the spores. Soap, odor removers, onions and old gym socks are all useless against a huge mold spore invasion.

RAY: The other possibility is that a small animal died somewhere in the car. If a mouse or rat got stuck in a ventilation duct or in your air cleaner, it can produce a disgusting and almost unbearable odor that can last for months, until the carcass eventually disintegrates.

TOM: So, what you need is someone with a good nose. I’d help you myself, but mine’s just big, not particularly good.

RAY: You need to find someone who’s familiar with both of those smells. Your best bet is an automotive detailer, or someone who works in a body shop. Ask him or her to sniff your Jaguar. Make sure you give the appropriate background before making that request, because someone could take it the wrong way.

TOM: Once you know what you’re looking for, you can form a plan to get rid of it. Animal remains can be searched for and removed - or simply waited out. Moldy carpet and its underlying padding can be treated with a biocide, or can be replaced.

RAY: Or, here’s a creative approach. You already know of a cleaning machine that works on smoke odor. So, light the interior on fire, and then use the machine!

http://www.carfind.com/news/view.bg?articleid=1126386

Read this article this morning in my local paper and laughed and laughed

I've never smelled a decomp human that I know of, but when I was little, our elderly neighbor used to come over for dinner all the time, as his wife had died. One night as he was leaving and he walked by me, both my dad and I noticed the "smell of death". It wasn't decomp, I've smelled many dead animals, but it was impending death. I'll never forget it. He died that night.

Many who work in hospitals "know" that smell. Like the smell of cancer, or the smell of whooping cough. Things have distinctive smells.

One thing I was wondering about with the smell being so bad from the car, wouldn't the person who had towed it to be inpounded have smelled it also? I would think there would have been a call made then to the pd so it could be looked into, what if there had still been a body in the trunk?

VB

This was CAs claim, that the tow guy didnt smell it and someone added a dead body after it was at the tow yard...What CA didnt mention, but LE has in its files and in the interview...

the tow guy had a terrible cold, couldnt smell or taste anything.

Trust me on this............you can tell all the difference in the world. If you had a problem smelling insects.............NEVER go around a slaughter house. It is 1000 times worse, and human decomposition is 1000 times worse than animal.

It is a smell you will never forget & even stuffing Vicks up your nostrils will not hide. It gets in your throat, your hair and everything around in a very short period of time. Cars which have had human decomp in them just have to be destroyed. Even if you strip them to the metal the smell is still there.

(Bold by me.)

Vick's is never used. Vick's clears the nasal pasages and makes the scent more "pungent", so to speak.

I grew up in a house that was a half mile away from the Mexican border, right next to a canal on the border that immigrants would cross and often drown in. I smelled quite a few bodies through the years. I've also smelled quite a few rotting animals (cows, pigs, etc) and while they do smell awful, it's NOTHING like human decomp.

That would be very unusual unless the temperature was very low, or she had a sinus infection. In two days a lot of decomposition has processed. Just the emptying of the bladder and bowels alone would leave a smell.

That's what I assumed too, and maybe she was somehow immune to it or had a cold (though I don't recall her having any kind of cold or sinus issue, but who knows)...I can only pass along what she told me. She said his mattress wasn't stained either. I don't know; I personally wasn't inside his apt so I can't say what was/wasn't detectable for sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange
Back