Defense wants prosecutor Jeff Ashton held in contempt

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JA on HLN NOW! :D

This is the best VP episode I have ever watched. It is amazing and I wish it would be repeated. Is it available online anywehere? Are there going to be any transcripts? Vinnie did a great job on this but it is going by too fast.

agree as I had no knowledge of the show with Ja! WOULD LOVE TO HAVE vinnie on Ws radio!

EXCUSE TYPING????still learning virtual typing . Much sympathy for folks who have been typing on these small pads for a
hile as i have cramps from just three posts! Lol all the typos!

These people are brainless. Let them collect their well needed intelligence & then they can say some thing!!

So why woulkd some one in Ashton's position even put something in a book that would bring up a contempt of court impropriety, and question his ethics? <modsnip>

If you're really concerned about the truthful answer to this, rather than asking posters here to speak for Jeff Ashton, why not go to his Facebook page and directly ask him yourself?

I won't post his page here, but I'm sure you can easily find it on your own, no? I'll give you a hint though, he's quite adequately answered the truthful legalities of your question on Facebook. ;)

I don't know. Maybe JB wasn't suppose to personalize his comments to the jury because it's not allowed and he was warned not to but continued to do it. I don't think attorney's on either side are suppose to address the jury in a personal manner. jmo

BBM - other than opening and closing arguments, no they are not.

Is there a transcript of VP's show with JA - anywhere on the internet??? I'd LOVE to see this!!! :great:

Is there a transcript of VP's show with JA - anywhere on the internet??? I'd LOVE to see this!!! :great:

I searched yesterday without success. I found a couple of websites that were discussing the interview, but there was nothing more than what was discussed here. The main point seems to be that Baez paid a little too much attention, and had a little to much interaction, with the jury ... in violation of the law. That's no surprise ... it's Baez, afterall.

BBM - other than opening and closing arguments, no they are not.

HHJP didn't stop DS from petting and hugging Casey and he didn't stop JB from addressing the jury each morning.
IIRC there was a lot of talk when Perry took over for JS ,that he was a stickler for following rules and wouldn't put up with the DT's antics. WTH happened? He's the one that should be answering questions,IMO.

Does the FL Bar oversee Judges?

HHJP didn't stop DS from petting and hugging Casey and he didn't stop JB from addressing the jury each morning.
IIRC there was a lot of talk when Perry took over for JS ,that he was a stickler for following rules and wouldn't put up with the DT's antics. WTH happened? He's the one that should be answering questions,IMO.

IMHO...there will be a dark cloud always hanging over that man's head. From the hand holding and babysitting of the defense to the fast track jury selection (my g-d, he clearly allowed people who DID NOT want to be there...had them call their bosses, call the cruise/airlines...passed someone who had difficulty judging people???!!), in the end he has to own this verdict (just as much as everyone else involved). It did afterall happen on HIS WATCH.

IMHO...there will be a dark cloud always hanging over that man's head. From the hand holding and babysitting of the defense to the fast track jury selection (my g-d, he clearly allowed people who DID NOT want to be there...had them call their bosses, call the cruise/airlines...passed someone who had difficulty judging people???!!), in the end he has to own this verdict (just as much as everyone else involved). It did afterall happen on HIS WATCH.

Yes, but like I've said before, I guarantee you he had bosses, adminstrators, and probably even state government telling him to get this trial over with and spend as little money and time as possible. I don't think he had the choices he wanted in this case. The judicial system was having severe money problems, and might even still be having those kinds of problems. I think he had other people breathing down his neck to get this over and done with. I just can't put all the blame on him for what happened. I'm sure he wishes things had gone differently, but money talks the loudest.

He was forced to put up with Baez, quickly get a jury, and make the trial go as fast as he could because of the state judicial system's money problems. I bet he was told there would be no do over, and to get it wrapped up as quickly as possible. Remember the big stink that one woman put up, and said that Casey's trial wasn't even going to happen at one point? I bet he got stuff like that on a daily basis about Casey Anthony and her trial. That overrode justice, and that is the real shame here. Blame the money problems, not HHJP, for how this trial turned out.

In other cases, he's done much better and had much better outcomes. So why was this case so different? Why was his courtroom in such disarray? Why wasn't Baez replaced? Why wasn't a better jury selected? Why did this trial seemed so rushed? The fault for all of that is on one man? That doesn't make sense. What makes sense is the state judicial system's money problems causing all of those problems for HHJP. I actually feel sorry for him because I just know that he wanted things to be so different. He wasn't happy with Baez at all. He was angry and upset more often that not. Does that sound like a judge pleased with the case, his decisions, and how the case went? I'm surprised he didn't have a heart attack at times when he would get so angry at Baez, yet Baez was still allowed to be Casey's lawyer. Money. That is the issue. That is what forced this case to be so bad and forced the bad outcome, not HHJP.

And shoot, put the blame where it really belongs, on the Pinellas 12. Even HHJP was surprised and angered at the verdict. Even he didn't see it coming. And heck, if the bar won't do a darn thing about a lawyer as bad as Baez, I highly doubt they will go after HHJP. He did everything within legal bounds anyway, even if we don't like it.

Yes, but like I've said before, I guarantee you he had bosses, adminstrators, and probably even state government telling him to get this trial over with and spend as little money and time as possible. I don't think he had the choices he wanted in this case. The judicial system was having severe money problems, and might even still be having those kinds of problems. I think he had other people breathing down his neck to get this over and done with. I just can't put all the blame on him for what happened. I'm sure he wishes things had gone differently, but money talks the loudest.

He was forced to put up with Baez, quickly get a jury, and make the trial go as fast as he could because of the state judicial system's money problems. I bet he was told there would be no do over, and to get it wrapped up as quickly as possible. Remember the big stink that one woman put up, and said that Casey's trial wasn't even going to happen at one point? I bet he got stuff like that on a daily basis about Casey Anthony and her trial. That overrode justice, and that is the real shame here. Blame the money problems, not HHJP, for how this trial turned out.

In other cases, he's done much better and had much better outcomes. So why was this case so different? Why was his courtroom in such disarray? Why wasn't Baez replaced? Why wasn't a better jury selected? Why did this trial seemed so rushed? The fault for all of that is on one man? That doesn't make sense. What makes sense is the state judicial system's money problems causing all of those problems for HHJP. I actually feel sorry for him because I just know that he wanted things to be so different. He wasn't happy with Baez at all. He was angry and upset more often that not. Does that sound like a judge pleased with the case, his decisions, and how the case went? I'm surprised he didn't have a heart attack at times when he would get so angry at Baez, yet Baez was still allowed to be Casey's lawyer. Money. That is the issue. That is what forced this case to be so bad and forced the bad outcome, not HHJP.

And shoot, put the blame where it really belongs, on the Pinellas 12. Even HHJP was surprised and angered at the verdict. Even he didn't see it coming. And heck, if the bar won't do a darn thing about a lawyer as bad as Baez, I highly doubt they will go after HHJP. He did everything within legal bounds anyway, even if we don't like it.

I think the judge could have reduced the trial time if he had excluded any possibility of blaming the grandparents for unfounded claims. Entertaining wild, crazy claims by the defense lawyer dragged the proceedings on unnecessarily.

I have no idea if money had anything to do with the way the trial went...and I did not blame him...but he was involved as was the jury as was Baez as was the State...and this he will have to live with just like the rest of him.
There is one thing that he and he alone is responsible for...and that is the jurors' instructions. I watched the CM case and could see/hear the difference. IMHO, here was an area where there's was a marked difference between the two cases.
If JP let money interfere with the way he ran the trial then that's obviously on him as well...but I have yet to see proof of that ever being the case.
JMO

Yes, the fault lies with the Pinellas 12. And I agree with the rest of your post re Judge Perry's motives for acting as he did from jury selection on. But I do not agree 100% that it was other administrators or bosses or higher-ups pressuring the judge to just "get this thing over with."

I do believe JP wanted things to move along briskly and he had enough foresight to know that Baez would drag things along for as long as possible. Perry, IMO, decided that his best course of action from the get-go would be a proactive one. He made it clear that jury selection would start on a specific date and did everything he could to stay as close to that date as possible. Then he made it clear that the panel would be seated by a specific date and proceeded to propel that process, IMO to the detriment of the trial.

The Pinellas 12 is responsible, no doubt about that. But Perry seated that panel, and it was a panel that consisted of citizens who during voir dire stated they did not like the death penalty, did not want to judge, would have to miss work, had vacation plans that had been in the making for some time, etc. Now, I understand that people have lives and that being on a jury that will be sequestered for six weeks and possibly longer is not something that would fit easily into their lives. So of course they will be concerned about missing work or missing out on their vacation plans. And the lady who could not judge was only being honest and IIRC the state tried to get her excused and was told basically by the judge to sit down and shut up. No, he didn't say that specifically, but it's what he meant.

So you have a panel that does not want to be there. I will say that it would have been difficult if not impossible to find 12 people plus alternates who were eager to be there, and most jurors would rather be somewhere else, but this particular jury in total did not want to be there and made no bones about it!

Fast forward to the trial, where Baez went on and on, witnesses were called, excused, called again, excused again, and called yet again! Highly unusual procedure even in a high-profile trial. And last but not least is the touchy-feely interaction of the attorneys with the defendant, and the behavior of the defendant which amounted to no less than silent testimony, much of it in front of the jury, which was certainly noticed yet completely ignored by the judge even when the state objected, even casting aside his own statement at onset of the trial that he would not tolerate such antics.

Judge Perry did not expect a not guilty verdict, no way. He knew the state had a strong case, so he bent over backward for the defense in hope of thwarting the appeal that was sure to come after conviction. Yeah, well, he certainly did succeed in that effort, since where there is no conviction there is no appeal.

Perry had a tough task, that's a given. But from all accounts he is a tough no-nonsense judge with vast knowledge of the law, and for him to cater as he did to the defense, the defendant, and the jury, just boggles the mind!

Now comes before Judge Perry the Motion from the defense to have Ashton held in contempt. I know what should happen with this. But I am not as confident as I would like to be that it will happen. Hopefully Judge Perry realizes some of his errors by now and that that realization guides him to do the right thing.

---------------
Miss James, thank you! you are so right. I've never seen a defense team shown so much improper leeway in my life!! They knew what they were doing when they got rid of Strickland!!! This is infuriating. I watched the Conrad Murray trial. I could not believe the difference in Judges. Also the Sowell trial in Cleveland. Not only did the jury smell the "smell", they were taken to his home! That jury was not sequestered. :seeya:

JA on part 2 of his HLN interview right now!

I posted it on the Sidebar but I didn't know if it was the first part or the second part of the interview, since I missed the first part. Thanks for letting me know.

Earlier, on the hour before, VP did a recap of the trial highlights and on this hour started right in with interviewing JA.

JA is calmly and politely ripping on the jurors. LOL:great::great:

Vinnie is showing the interview with the blonde young juror, the one who said it did not matter if the body was in the trunk or not, that still did not mean it was a crime...

And JA is saying that the jury ignored the forensics and put the bar for 'reasonable doubt' really low. He said that they did not care if there was a body in the trunk or not, because that did not mean anything to them in terms of guilt or innocence.

" If the jurors can think it is 'reasonable' that someone would take a child that died of an accident and duct tape them and throw them in a swamp..then what could we do?"

the natural reaction is how could you ever stop looking for your child. I don't fault to Anthony's for wanting to keep looking.

"The hardest part of the jury's decision is the fact that the jury thought it was a normal reaction, that Casey had during those 31 days. ":

"This one stays with me because Caylee was thrown away by her mother... And she got lost in the hearts of the jury too. "

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
there always an answer
Back