Details About Burke's 1/8/97 Interview

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for bumping this up. I have my own feelings about who could have been involved in this thing from the beginning and I have really not budged. I had seen this before, but hadn't thought about it in a long time. Thanks. I am ordering the Kolar book today.

Right., he may have said things that no one reported and what he told police would seem to be privileged information since it looks like jonbenet did go down there on her own quietly and hit in the head and stabbed or jabbed in 3 different places. That is if they believe the cheek wound was also a jab.

When is the Kolar book released? Can't wait to get it! My opinion is Burke knows something but I don't think he actually did it. Just IMO. Did anyone get the screen capture from that doco? What doco was it and is it avaliable online? Very interesting if SS was involved with Ramsey's before!

When is the Kolar book released? Can't wait to get it! My opinion is Burke knows something but I don't think he actually did it. Just IMO. Did anyone get the screen capture from that doco? What doco was it and is it avaliable online? Very interesting if SS was involved with Ramsey's before!

It is already out. It is available online at Amazon and Barnes & Nobel and some have found it in bookstores. I believe it is also available on his self-publish site, it was posted here a while back. Repost, anyone?

Stef88,
Its all hotting up. Potential prior Social Security involvement, the Paughs purchasing parenting books for the R's. Patsy's friends hinting to her that JonBenet, is well, behaving too mature for her age, there is poo left in various locations, JonBenet is wetting the bed, and regressing in her personal hygene.

There was definitely something going on. Burke will know something, even if he never whacked JonBenet. At his age now he will know who did it!

Sheesh, 2004 sure was a time filled with b1tchy nasty posters wasn't it.
All banned now I noted.
We're clearly much more calm and pleasant now ;)

But yes, interesting read given the recent info from Kolar.

Sheesh, 2004 sure was a time filled with b1tchy nasty posters wasn't it.
All banned now I noted.
We're clearly much more calm and pleasant now ;)

But yes, interesting read given the recent info from Kolar.

Wonderlama, I started reading this thread so I could find out eactly what Kolar had to say about BR. Then as you stated it turned ugly and I could hardly get through it but at last your post! I listened to Trisha's radio with Kolar and he refused to even go anywhere in the discussion of BR. Do you have info. that you would care to share? If so thanks a million!

Wonderlama, I started reading this thread so I could find out eactly what Kolar had to say about BR. Then as you stated it turned ugly and I could hardly get through it but at last your post! I listened to Trisha's radio with Kolar and he refused to even go anywhere in the discussion of BR. Do you have info. that you would care to share? If so thanks a million!

Flatlander,
The two important things to take from this thread are that:

1. Burke Ramsey has witness status.

2. Social Services had prior contact with him.

Conisder 2. along with what Kolar states about the book titles purchased by the Paughs and you have the suggestion of a hidden side to Burke Ramsey, one deliberately obscured.

Just placed my order! Can't wait to read this! I wonder what the Ramsey camp is thinking :ohwow:

Just placed my order! Can't wait to read this! I wonder what the Ramsey camp is thinking :ohwow:

Stef88,
They will most definitely be reading Kolars book, cover to cover. They will want to defend BR, and will have asked LW his opinion on the litigation options.

JonBenet's brother, Burke, who was 9 at the time of his sister's
death, arguably had motive to kill her, if one is willing to allow that sibling rivalry can sometimes escalate into violent rage. And a 9-year-old is certainly less able to judge the result of a blow to the head than an adult, or be able to deliver a measured blow designed to punish instead of kill. Boulder District Attorney Alex Hunter is among those who privately considered the possibility that Burke played a role in the death of his sister. "I wonder if Burke is involved in this," Hunter mused out loud one day, former Boulder police detective Steve Thomas wrote in his book.

Hunter declared publicly in 1999 that Burke wasn't a suspect in his sister's death. But later events suggested that statement wasn't as definitive as it seemed. In 2000 Hunter refused a request by Ramsey attorney Wood to sign a statement declaring under oath that "all questions related to" Burke's "possible involvement" in the death of his sister "were resolved to the satisfaction of investigators." He also refused to declare that Burke "has never been viewed by investigators as a suspect." Nor would he say that Burke "has not been and is not a suspect."

Hunter did, however, agree to language in which he declared that "no evidence has ever been developed ... to justify elevating Burke Ramsey's status from witness to suspect," and there is nothing in the transcripts of the interviews of the Ramseys to suggest any such evidence was developed.

So whatever Hunter's suspicions about Burke, he wasn't able to substantiate them.

If Burke killed his sister, child psychologists can debate endlessly the issue of whether a 9-year-old has the psychological capacity for intent for murder without reaching consensus. In Colorado, the issue is settled by law: No one under the age of 10 can be charged with any crime. They know not what they do, Coloradans have decided. If Burke is the killer, he's not — legally, anyway — a murderer, and JonBenet wasn't — legally, anyway — murdered. When Hunter said in 1999 that Burke wasn't a suspect in his sister's murder, he could also have said that from a legal standpoint Burke couldn't be. He was too young.

This article is well written and can be found here. It's very matter of fact.

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bump

\
That's not how I recall the CO law. I thought the crime could still be considered a murder but the under 10 person couldn't be criminally held responsible. Do I have that wrong? And the GJ clearly put Murder in the First Degree on the table.

\
That's not how I recall the CO law. I thought the crime could still be considered a murder but the under 10 person couldn't be criminally held responsible. Do I have that wrong? And the GJ clearly put Murder in the First Degree on the table.

I don't think the grand jury was well versed in criminal law as it pertains to "infants". It was an investigative grand jury tasked with evaluating the evidence as it related to the crimes committed & by whom - I could be wrong though.

I don't think the grand jury was well versed in criminal law as it pertains to "infants". It was an investigative grand jury tasked with evaluating the evidence as it related to the crimes committed & by whom - I could be wrong though.

Surely the lawyers present made the legal issues and charges clear to the GJ before they voted.

AFFIDAVIT of ALEXANDER HUNTER - October 12th, 2000

State of Colorado
County of Colorado

Personally appeared before the undersigned officer duly authorized by law to administer oaths, ALEXANDER M. HUNTER, who being first duly sworn, deposes and says as follows:

1. My name is Alexander M. Hunter. I am over 21 years of age and I am cmpetant to make and give this Affidavit, and do so from personal knowledge.

2. I am an attorney duly licensed in the State of Colorado. Since January 9th, 1973, I have been the elected District Attorney for the 20th Judicial District, County of Boulder, State of Colorado.

3. On or about December 26th, 1996, JonBenét Ramsey, a six year old minor child, was murdered in her home in Boulder, Colorado.

4. Since the date of her death, I have been continuously involved in the investigation of JonBenét's homicide.

5. As part of the investigation into the murder of JonBenét Ramsey, questions about any possible involvement by her brother, Burke Ramsey, who was 9 years of age at the time of his sister's murder and who was one of the individuals present in the house at the time of her murder, were raised and investigated as part of standard investigative practices and procedures.

6. From December 26th, 1996, to the date of this affidavit, no evidence has ever been developed in the investigation to justify elevating Burke Ramsey's status from that of witness to suspect.

7. In May of 1999, I was made aware that tabloid newspapers had indicated that Burke Ramsey was a suspect in the murder of JonBenét Ramsey or was believed to be her killer. As a result of these articles, I was contacted by media representatives and I instructed my office to release a press statement which publicly and officially stated that Burke Ramsey was not a suspect in connection with the murder of his sister and that stated in part, "...almost a year ago (Boulder) Police Chief Mark Beckner stated during a news conference that Burke (Ramsey) was not a suspect and that we are not looking at him as a possible suspect." The information in the May 1999 press release was true and correct.

8. From December 26th, 1996, to the present date, I have never engaged n plea bargain negotiations, talks or discussions with anyone in connection with the investigation into the murder of JonBenét Ramsey based in whole or in part on the premise that Burke Ramsey killed his sister. From December 26th, 1996, to the present date, no member of my office has ever engaged in plea bargain negotiations, talks or discussions with anyone in connection with the investigation into the murder of JonBenét Ramsey based in whole or in part on the premise that Burke Ramsey killed his sister.

9. I am aware that this Affidavit may be used by counsel for Burke ramsey in connection with libel litigation brought on his behalf in various jurisdictions.

FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NOT
This 12th day of October, 2000

signed by Alexander M. Hunter
notarized by Susan Ingraham

Bump

Surely the lawyers present made the legal issues and charges clear to the GJ before they voted.

This wasn't an ordinary grand jury. Investigative grand juries are vastly different.

This wasn't an ordinary grand jury. Investigative grand juries are vastly different.

I'm unable to find a source for this. Do you have one?

Also, can you please clarify how the JBR grand jury differed from a standard Colorado grand jury? I'm very interested to know more about this and what its significance might be.

There may be some confusion over using the word "special" referring to the Ramsey grand jury.

Some jurisdictions always have a "seated" grand jury to hear cases on a regular basis and recommend charges. When it's term is up, another one starts. Other jurisdictions (especially where there is less crime) only impanel a GJ when it is needed. It has investigative powers that even the police department doesn't have. Since it is specially appointed to investigate a particular matter, it is called a "special grand jury." Either type of GJ has the power to "investigate" a possible crime that comes before it. That is how they determine whether or not a crime has been committed and who to charge if it has.

(I'm not a lawyer, and wouldn't admit to it if I were:giggle:. This is simply my understanding from what I've read about it.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710
Back