Did Darlie Routier murder her precious sons? Part 2

• Thread starter Thread starter CW
  • Start date Start date
Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Did Darlie Routier Murder Her Precious Sons ?

• Total voters
Hi Cami,

I sent you a pm.Well I think I did.Goodness only knows if it arrived.I get confused easily.

I reiterate here for the umpteenth time I know, that all the answers to these questions are in the archives.
I guess the jurors on this case did not see reasonable doubt of Darlie's guilt and so convicted her.

I started thinking Darlie was guilty as I saw a program that said she was, but then decided on Barbara Davis's sayso that maybe she was innocent.
Then I took a fair time to read the archives.

Like the people here who cannot find Darlie guilty I also find it difficult to think that a young woman did this.
But if you carefully weigh the evidence so that you have the pros and cons of the case, it easily points to Darlie's guilt.
And that nearly breaks my heart.
No wonder her mother is fighting like a tiger for her.Mama Darlie obviously cannot find a place of acceptance.
It is what I call the DNA trap.
Our goal in life as parents is to see our DNA go on and reproduce.
We hate to see that there is something faulty about it, that it may destroy its own.

Cami you certainly know this case backwards and frontwards.Well done!

Kind regards,
CM

...this is my first time posting...so bear with me..I live in Tx and vividly remember the "silly string" episode and it has haunted me ever since.
Do I believe Darlie murdered her children?...I tend not to.I understand she was depressed and about to go through a divorce.If she would have been under the influence of drugs that night,maybe I could believe she would have been capable of this horrendous,BRUTAL attack on her children and herself...what I can't believe is her going to sleep ,sober,then waking up in the middle of the night and with no history of a violent temper going into a rage....considering the depression,maybe I would believe a soft death but not the violent attack.
I understand how all the evidence points to her but there are some things I do not believe I saw mentioned in the thread before like the other break ins in the area,the other screens that were cut and foremost the sock that was found 75 yards away containing the boy's blood and darlie's DNA,how can this be explained?...and wasn't it now proven,that the screen was indeed cut from the outside and not the inside?
The 16 versions of her testimony also makes me tend to believe her.If she was trying to sound innocent wouldn't she have stuck to one story? IMO that lady was out of her mind after the aussault.I also see her as being in total denial during the silly string episode...if she wanted to look innocent wouldn't she have "pretended" to grieve?...she just seems completely out of it during the taping IMO.
no matter if she is indeed guilty or not I believe she deserves a re-trial.This is a young woman on Death row and there ARE doubts...

Darlie's tox screen show no drugs other than diet pills and no alcohol so she wasn't drugged that night.

I completely agree with you that Darlie didn't just wake up and murder her kids out of rage that night. That's why I believe we have to know/learn the whole story...not just the day of the crime. I believe that this was coming for some time, her anger was building day by day.

Hi Cami,

I sent you a pm.Well I think I did.Goodness only knows if it arrived.I get confused easily.

I reiterate here for the umpteenth time I know, that all the answers to these questions are in the archives.
I guess the jurors on this case did not see reasonable doubt of Darlie's guilt and so convicted her.

I started thinking Darlie was guilty as I saw a program that said she was, but then decided on Barbara Davis's sayso that maybe she was innocent.
Then I took a fair time to read the archives.

Like the people here who cannot find Darlie guilty I also find it difficult to think that a young woman did this.
But if you carefully weigh the evidence so that you have the pros and cons of the case, it easily points to Darlie's guilt.
And that nearly breaks my heart.
No wonder her mother is fighting like a tiger for her.Mama Darlie obviously cannot find a place of acceptance.
It is what I call the DNA trap.
Our goal in life as parents is to see our DNA go on and reproduce.
We hate to see that there is something faulty about it, that it may destroy its own.

Cami you certainly know this case backwards and frontwards.Well done!

Kind regards,
CM

I don't think anyone blames Mama Darlie for fighting tooth and nail for her daughter. I believe she knows Darlie killed the boys but can't face it. Who could if it is was our child?

I sent you a pm on the fires over there.......shocking and to think they were set. The gentleman who said it was mass murder is right, I forget who he was..the gov. general or the premier I don't know.

There were some other towels too.

BY MR. RICHARD MOSTY:
7 Q. Okay. And 30 is taken during your
8 very first walk-through of the house?
9 A. Yes, sir.
10 Q. Okay. And that is the cover that is
11 over Devon's body?
12 A. Yes, sir.
13 Q. Okay. Does it show a rag in it?
14 A. Yes, sir.
15 Q. Does it show a bloody rag in it?
16 A. Yes, sir.
17 Q. And it is -- there is a yellow figure
18 on that -- I guess, that underside blanket?
19 A. Yes, sir.
20 Q. Okay. And that rag is not quite
21 touching that yellow figure?
22 A. Yes, sir.
23 Q. Okay. Let me show you Exhibit No. 31,
24 and ask you if you can identify that?
25 A. That is the covers.
1 Q. Similar photo?
2 A. Yes, sir.
4 THE COURT: We will offer No. 31.
5 MR. GREG DAVIS: No objection.
6 THE COURT: Defendant's Exhibit No. 31
7 is admitted.

18 BY MR. RICHARD MOSTY:
19 Q. Is that also taken on the 6th?
20 A. Yes, sir.
21 Q. Does that depict -- is the rag in the
22 same location as it was in the picture immediately before
23 it?
24 A. It's in the same vicinity.
25 Q. Same vicinity?

1 A. Um-hum. (Witness nodding head
2 affirmatively).
3 Q. Okay. But not the same place?
4 A. Yes, sir.
5 Q. Care to explain? Yes, sir, it's not
6 in the same place?
7 A. Yes, sir, it is.
8 Q. Yes, sir, it is in the same place?
9 A. Yes, it is.
10 Q. How do you account for the way that
11 looks?
12 A. From the angle that I took the
13 photograph.
14 Q. Okay. Well, yesterday when I said,
15 remember when I stood right here and said, if you take --
16 that sometimes photographs are distorted by the angle.
17 Do you remember me asking you that yesterday?
18 A. I remember.
19 Q. And you didn't agree with me, did you?
20 A. Well, I don't recall.
21 Q. Don't you remember when I was talking
22 about taking 90 degree photographs? The reason is so
23 that if you get at an angle it distorts the photograph.
24 You don't remember that line of questioning yesterday?
25 A. I remember you saying something about

1 it.
2 Q. And you didn't agree with me, did you?
3 A. To be honest with you, I don't recall.
4 Q. But now your story is that there is a
5 difference between 30 and 31, is because it's a different
6 camera angle?
7 A. Yes, it is.
8 Q. But that the -- but that the rag is
9 not moved?
10 A. No.
11 Q. All right. Now, shortly after this,
12 these photos are taken, the medical examiner came in,
13 right?
14 A. Yes, sir.
15 Q. And you saw that rag again?
16 A. Yes, sir.
17 Q. Didn't you?
18 A. Yes, sir.
19 Q. And you photographed it again?
20 A. Yes, sir.
21 Q. Okay. And then you stayed at that
22 house and started collecting rags about 9 -- or you were
23 collecting in the 9:00 o'clock range?
24 A. 8:00 o'clock, in that area.
25 Q. Okay. And you didn't collect this

1 rag, did you?
2 A. No, sir.
3 Q. It had blood on it, didn't it?
4 A. Yes, sir.
5 Q. It was next to the body of Devon
6 Routier, wasn't it?
7 A. Yes, sir.
8 Q. It was -- you knew that the paramedics
9 had been in there and had done something in that area,
10 didn't you?
11 A. Yes, sir.
12 Q. You knew that the paramedics had
13 covered up the body, didn't you?
14 A. Well, I wasn't aware of that. I
15 wasn't there.
16 Q. Well, you knew that the medical
17 examiner, for instance, picked up the -- some of those
18 things around Devon Routier and took them to the medical
19 examiner's office, didn't you?
20 A. Yes, sir.
21 Q. You saw that happen?
22 A. Yes, sir.
23 Q. So you knew that what was next to that
24 body was important, didn't you?
25 A. Well, the blankets, yes, sir.

1 Q. But the rag wasn't important?
2 A. I didn't say that.
3 Q. It was important, wasn't it?
4 A. Well, it could be.
5 Q. It should have been collected,
6 shouldn't it?
7 A. I didn't collect it.
8 Q. It should have been collected,
9 shouldn't it?
10 A. I gave at that point where I didn't
11 determine that it needed to be collected.
12 Q. You made that decision that it wasn't
13 important enough to collect?
14 A. I made that decision.
15 Q. And that was a conscious decision?
16 A. That was my decision.
17 Q. That was your decision that that rag
18 which has blood on it and it is next to Devon Routier's
19 body is not important enough to have forensics look at
20 it?
21 A. I made that decision.

18 Q. And now, if there were a white rag
19 that had blood on it that was touching one of the
20 victims, you would recommend that that be collected,
21 wouldn't you?
22 A. I'm sorry, a white rag --
23 Q. If there was any rag? Okay. If there
24 was a bloody rag that was touching one of the victims,
25 you would recommend that that be collected, wouldn't you?
Sandra M. Halsey, CSR, Official Court Reporter

1 A. No.
2 Q. You wouldn't?
3 A. No.
4 Q. You don't think that could be
5 important?
6 A. No.
7 Q. And I guess if it's not, then we would
8 never know whether it would be important or not?
9 A. Well, let me make sure I understand
10 you. Hypothetically, if the rag had been used as
11 emergency attention to the victim?
12 Q. Yeah. Let's say that. Let's say that
13 that rag had been used as emergency attention to the
14 victim and it was still there.
15 A. I would put that in the same category
16 as EKG pads that are left on the floor.
17 Q. Okay. That would still hold true if
18 someone had decided within 20 minutes that there had been
19 no intruder?
20 A. That's right. I would think that it
21 would be of no value under any circumstances.
22 Q. Okay. Afterwards, do you think there
23 would be any way you would know if that, for instance,
24 that bloody rag could have a perpetrator's blood on it?
25 You wouldn't know until you got to the lab, would you?

1 A. What does the rag look like? Is it
2 blood soaked or is it have spatter on it, or, you know,
3 those things come into play.
4 Q. Let's say it looked like Defendant's
5 Exhibit 31, looks like a bloody white rag there, and

6 assume with me that there is a body under that dark
7 blanket.
8 A. Okay.
9 Q. And that when the dark blanket is
10 moved, that body actually has ahold of that white rag.

11 A. The body is holding, is clasping this
12 rag?
13 Q. Holding on to that rag. Or it's
14 touching his hands. I don't know how you would call it,
15 but it is touching his hands.
16 A. No, I wouldn't collect that.

17 Q. You would not collect that?
18 A. No.
19 Q. Okay. You don't think that that would
20 have any, even possibly any subsequent importance?
21 A. No.
22 Q. Now, if you saw two rags, would you
23 put those in the same bag, two bloody rags?
24 A. If they weren't already in contact, I
25 wouldn't.

1 Q. Okay. And so to put two bloody rags
2 in a similar, in the same bag, that is not good police
3 work, is it?
4 A. If they come from separate places,

5 then you should bag them separately. That is if they are
6 deemed of value to submit to the laboratory.

No one said there weren't other towels. The discusssion was bad police work to bag two towels together. As you can see an experienced csa who worked the crime scene knows more than we do (and Darlie's mother) about what should and should not be collected at a cs.

Do I believe Darlie was using towels to help the boys? Not on your life. I believe she tried to clean up blood (bloody handprint from sofa, etc) and realized she was bleeding on top of what she was wiping. I believe towels were used to wipe the blood from the kitchen counter.

Its IMO that Darlie did kill them, but Im not 100% sure Darin didn't have a clue what was going on. Not implying that he actually killed or planned to kill the boys along with her, but that he may have been involved with a coverup.
JMO/IMO

Those of us who do not believe Darin had a hand in the murders do believe he did help. I actually think he caught her in the act and decided to help her and tow the line on her innocence. I think he knows that whatever happened in that house an hour or so before the murders is his fault and set Darlie on her path to murder that night.

I am very new to this board but I have just finished reading the transcripts, Barbara Davis's and Don Davis's books. Very interesting case. Cami, I agree that Darin has to know that Darlie had a hand in this since he has changed his story to cover hers and to help her with evidence. I really think he has low self esteem and Darlie ruled his life- interesting reading about how he couldn't even go t Lubbock to see Drake during the holidays while darlie was in jail because she would call and harass him into coming to see her instead and staying by her.
My opinion: he couldn't handle her nagging and whining and one of them threatened divorce that night. Darin probably said he wouldn't give up the kids. This sent darlie over the edge and because she is a histrionic personality, she aimed at getting back at him in her rage (think rape accusation years earlier). She also refused to let Sarilda "get" her boys- which was documented by Basia during the trial.
The evidence is not the strongest I've seen, but nevertheless, I do not think the entire state of texas was out to get darlie- that would be one HECK of a cover up and consipracy for all of those agencies to feel the same way.
As far as wiretaping, that is one of the big things that convicted scott peterson- perfectly legal and was proven so in this case, just not before the trial ended.
Those poor boys- I hope they are resting in peace.
Just my opinion after reading a lot about this case.

I am very new to this board but I have just finished reading the transcripts, Barbara Davis's and Don Davis's books. Very interesting case. Cami, I agree that Darin has to know that Darlie had a hand in this since he has changed his story to cover hers and to help her with evidence. I really think he has low self esteem and Darlie ruled his life- interesting reading about how he couldn't even go t Lubbock to see Drake during the holidays while darlie was in jail because she would call and harass him into coming to see her instead and staying by her.
My opinion: he couldn't handle her nagging and whining and one of them threatened divorce that night. Darin probably said he wouldn't give up the kids. This sent darlie over the edge and because she is a histrionic personality, she aimed at getting back at him in her rage (think rape accusation years earlier). She also refused to let Sarilda "get" her boys- which was documented by Basia during the trial.
The evidence is not the strongest I've seen, but nevertheless, I do not think the entire state of texas was out to get darlie- that would be one HECK of a cover up and consipracy for all of those agencies to feel the same way.
As far as wiretaping, that is one of the big things that convicted scott peterson- perfectly legal and was proven so in this case, just not before the trial ended.
Those poor boys- I hope they are resting in peace.
Just my opinion after reading a lot about this case.

I agree. I think the murders were revenge on Darin for whatever was said that night. For the first time he stood up to her, probably told her if she wanted a separation to pack her bags and get out but there's no money left for alimony or child support..or don't think you're taking the two eldest boys, something like that..Drake would need her, he was a baby....they were probably about to lose the house, etc., her lovely expensive lifestyle was crashing down around her.

Hi all this is my first post because this is the first thread i went to. I want to see Texas put the needle in her arm and get it over with. I too read both books as well as everything I could find on her. I was under the impression that Texas had a sort of "express lane" as far as executions. (sorry for the quote but it is all i could think of) Why has she been waiting all this time and still alive. I feel very strongly about this woman. I do not know her or anyone who knows her, I just cant stand the thought that she murdered those sweet boys and keeps crying innocence. The Main piece of evidence that I can not see any other explanation for is the cast off blood on her night shirt. Is there any way to petition the state of Texas to finally execute her?? OK OK appeals, I get it but enough is enough!

The other day I caught the tail end of (I believe) American Justice on TV. The segment was about Darlie, and it mentioned other rape/murders in the Rowlette area where a sock was used to cover the handle of a knife in the attack. It's probably been discussed long ago, but I can't remember anything or ever hearing about this. Were these attacks unsolved and something Darlie might have heard about ?

The other day I caught the tail end of (I believe) American Justice on TV. The segment was about Darlie, and it mentioned other rape/murders in the Rowlette area where a sock was used to cover the handle of a knife in the attack. It's probably been discussed long ago, but I can't remember anything or ever hearing about this. Were these attacks unsolved and something Darlie might have heard about ?

There is a thread here re this

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32489

Hi all this is my first post because this is the first thread i went to. I want to see Texas put the needle in her arm and get it over with. I too read both books as well as everything I could find on her. I was under the impression that Texas had a sort of "express lane" as far as executions. (sorry for the quote but it is all i could think of) Why has she been waiting all this time and still alive. I feel very strongly about this woman. I do not know her or anyone who knows her, I just cant stand the thought that she murdered those sweet boys and keeps crying innocence. The Main piece of evidence that I can not see any other explanation for is the cast off blood on her night shirt. Is there any way to petition the state of Texas to finally execute her?? OK OK appeals, I get it but enough is enough!

I don't know that Texas has an "express lane" to executions, it's just that they DO follow through with them. I've often thought that since the defense is entitled to a speedy trial, perhaps there should also be such a thing as speedy appeals.

I'm not convinced Darlie Routier should be in prison. The police ignored evidence in her case that proved another person and she did not have adequate counsel in trial. Nothing was done to prove her innocence. There's a real killer getting away with those murders.

I'm not convinced Darlie Routier should be in prison. The police ignored evidence in her case that proved another person and she did not have adequate counsel in trial. Nothing was done to prove her innocence. There's a real killer getting away with those murders.

What evidence was there that proved another person was even there? The so called "bloody fingerprints" have never been proven to not have belonged to the Routiers or anyone else for that matter. That is not proof there was someone else. Just speculation about the possibility. Other than that, I don't see anything else that may even be considered as possible evidence of an intruder.

Sorry, but I totally disagree about the council. She had one of the absolute best defense attorneys in the entire state of Texas. Darlie herself insisted upon taking the stand against the advice of her attorney. Needless to say, she was caught up in her lies and exposed for what she is.

Nothing was done to prove her innocence? She didn't have to prove her innocence. the State of Texas had to prove her guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, which they did. After reviewing all the evidence, which is readily available on Darlie's OWN website, I am convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that she did absolutely commit this horrible crime and should pay the price.

The fact that Darlie went against advice of her counsel should make a ruling of inadequate counsel very difficult. At least I hope so.

I know this is petty, and I apologize in advance: can we change the big ol' grammatical error in the title of this thread? Every time I look at it, I cringe.

Her blood dripping down the knife blade leaving an outline of the knife (in her blood) on the carpet showing that she was holding it while dripping blood. Her blood, partially wiped away at the kitchen sink. No one else's blood found at the scene.

Three people asleep in the same room, the children are butchered and mommy has only superficial wounds.

This isn't rocket science. She killed her kids and she is where she should be.

From the Unsolved Mysteries Wikia:

One night in June 1996, Darlie Routier was sleeping on the sofa of her family room with her two sons, Devon and Damon, asleep on the floor near her. Her husband, Darin, and other son, Drake, were asleep upstairs when Darlie awoke to a person standing over her. She screamed for her husband, and the assailant fled the house, dropping his knife on the way out. Darin began CPR procedures on his sons who had been badly stabbed. By time paramedics arrived, Devon was already dead; Damon died n the way to the hospital. Darlie was also treated for cuts and wounds across her body; one gash in her throat came close to severing a major artery.
Incredibly, the police directed all their investigation against Darlie instead of looking for the assailant. They found undisturbed dust on a slashed window that suggested there was no entry by another person, but it was possible to enter the house through the window without affecting the dust. A hair believed to be Darlie's was connected to one of the officers. Foreign fingerprints were never identified. A sock found away from the house had the boys' blood on it, but it was impossible for Darlie to have left it there. The sock was never used to prove Darlie's innocence. The fact that there had been violent break-ins in the area at the same time at other houses did not dissuade the police. It was entirely possible that evidence was contaminated in the collection process.
Several things worked against Darlie at her trial. It was too dark and quick for her to have made an identification of her attacker. None of her injuries were life-threatening. A videotape of her behavior while on medication was used against her. The police never examined any evidence that had nothing to do with Darlie as a suspect. She was accused of killing her boys for a life insurane policy, but it was only for $5,000, barely enough to cover the cost of the funerals. Darlie's family and friends rallied in her defense, and yet, she was still convicted of the murder of her sons. One juror on her case changed his opinion of her after re-examining photos of Darlie's inhuries; he's now more than convinced he accidentally convicted an innocent woman while a real killer wandered off scot free.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking
Back