Discussion Thread #61 ~ the appeal~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to say, but I've so lost interest in this whole ordeal.

Masipa is a judge at the Johannesburg Division for the Gauteng High Court in South Africa, who gained notoriety after presiding over the Pistorius trial.

She completed her law degree in 10 years. She then practiced for seven years, before being appointed to the bench in 1998.

In her own words ...

“Seven years is nothing...you don’t get a lot of experience,” she said. “...And I know I needed to work harder than my colleagues.”

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/04/oscar-pistorius-judge-reflects-on-her-advocacy

I can only speak from my own personal experience which is that all the judges I've known had been barristers with a minimum of 10, but more commonly 15-20 years' experience or more. In fact, judges earn substantially less than QC's/senior counsel with a good practice as there is no limit on how much they can earn as opposed to judges whose salaries are fixed by the government. For this reason, good barristers frequently don't want to become judges until they're getting towards 50-55 years of age. Seven years' experience ... pffft.

Guess what folks, you remember the rumour about Masipa retiring this year. Well, nothing could be further from the truth.

"Only three of the 20 candidates being interviewed for vacancies in South Africa's higher courts are women. This time around, the interviews will not be entirely Pistorius free. Judge Thokozile Masipa, who sent the Paralympian to jail for killing his girlfriend, will be one of only three female candidates out of 20 being interviewed for vacancies in the country’s higher courts.

Masipa, from the high court in Pretoria, will be interviewed for the position of judge president of the Limpopo division. The other two women appearing before the JSC are acting judge Wabo Msizi, for a vacancy at the Eastern Cape division, and Judge Nambitha Dambuza, who is being interviewed for a vacancy at the Supreme Court of Appeal.

The appeal court is wedged between the high courts and the Constitutional Court, and is intellectually taxing, with a high caseload".

http://mg.co.za/article/2015-04-09-jsc-wrestles-with-gender-transformation

I'll refrain from commenting.

Guess what folks, you remember the rumour about Masipa retiring this year. Well, nothing could be further from the truth.

"Only three of the 20 candidates being interviewed for vacancies in South Africa's higher courts are women. This time around, the interviews will not be entirely Pistorius free. Judge Thokozile Masipa, who sent the Paralympian to jail for killing his girlfriend, will be one of only three female candidates out of 20 being interviewed for vacancies in the country’s higher courts.

Masipa, from the high court in Pretoria, will be interviewed for the position of judge president of the Limpopo division. The other two women appearing before the JSC are acting judge Wabo Msizi, for a vacancy at the Eastern Cape division, and Judge Nambitha Dambuza, who is being interviewed for a vacancy at the Supreme Court of Appeal.

The appeal court is wedged between the high courts and the Constitutional Court, and is intellectually taxing, with a high caseload".

http://mg.co.za/article/2015-04-09-jsc-wrestles-with-gender-transformation

I'll refrain from commenting.

Thanks for the info...

... but BIB is the kind of attitude which has brought this thread to a boring standstill ;)

... next time, please comment :)

Hi,

I've lost track of this case. Just came back on to see what is going on, and I have some questions:

-What exactly is OP in prison for right now? Is it the gun charges? Or is because he 'overly reacted' (I forgot the legal term)?

-The appeal which the thread is about, is that an appeal by the prosecution to get the case reheard by another judge or the Supreme Court?

TIA!

The latest update on Masipa's interview for the position of Judge President in the soon-to-be launched Limpopo Division of the High Court.

I’m going to do a lot of paraphrasing here to get most of the article in.

The handling of the Pistorius trial took centre stage during the Judicial Service Commission interviews last night. In the spotlight was Judge Masipa, one of seven senior judges being interviewed for the job of establishing and leading the court.

The hearing – which ended after midnight – got off to a bad start for Masipa, who faced more questions about the Pistorius case than about her ability to hold the position.

Her ruling in the Pistorius trial was widely criticised for being too lenient as violence against women and children is rife in South Africa.

Last night Masipa explained that people following the case had their own predetermined judgments. She blamed the public criticism of her on ignorance and a lack of understanding of court processes. However Commissioner Motshekga was not convinced and asked whether the criticism of her would affect the new court.

“Given the unfair criticism against you, due to the ignorance of the law and legal processes, and the stigma from following such an ignorance, don’t you think that will also unfairly tarnish the image of the new court?” he asked.

Masipa responded that the criticism was not about her but about her decision. She said, “It was because people had expected a certain outcome and that did not happen. I don’t think I am stigmatised”. She said she had worked on other cases since that trial and remained respected within the legal fraternity.

Commissioner Modise said women would continue to be the underdogs because laws were failing to protect them.

The grilling continued when Commissioner Malema asked why she was applying for the job when she only had two years left before retirement. He also asked, “Don’t you think it is better for this commission to go for someone who can stay for a longer period?” to which Masipa replied that “Two years is a very long time. When I leave there would be no instabilities”.

Another judge was also grilled by the commissioners.

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/judge-masipa-grilled-over-her-oscar-pistorius-ruling/

After a long break - hello again :seeya:

Another report on Masipa's interview

Oscar Pistorius judge is roasted by judicial commission

Commissioner Mike Hellens strongly criticises Masipa's leadership abilities, saying she could not control the counsel in the Pistorius trial.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng asked Masipa to explain how she deals with the attacks since she has “become a world-famous judge in this country”.

Masipa said: “A judge must respect criticism. It is not personal. When someone expressed their frustration you should just let them… judges have been attacked all over...we are not on the bench to please people or to win a popularity contest.”

But commissioner Mike Hellens strongly criticised Masipa's leadership abilities. He questioned how Masipa could be a judge president of a court when she could not control the counsel in the Pistorius trial.

http://www.rdm.co.za/politics/2015/04/14/oscar-pistorius-judge-is-roasted-by-judicial-commission

Oops, that hit home :cool:

Judge Masipa misses out on Judge President position.

The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) has recommended that Judge Mampuru Makgoba be appointed as the judge president of the new Limpopo High Court division.

Makgoba, of the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria, was interviewed in Cape Town on Monday evening.

It was now up to President Jacob Zuma to consider the JSC's recommendation and
make a final decision.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Makgoba-recommended-for-Limpopo-judge-president-20150414

Donald Trump: South Africa is a total and very dangerous mess

This isn’t the first time Trump has had something to say about South Africa. During the trial of Oscar Pistorius the real estate tycoon referred to Judge Thokozile Masipa as a "total moron" after the Paralympian athlete was found guilty of culpable homicide for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

He later tweeted again; "Oscar Pistorius only gets five years in prison for killing his girlfriend. Ridiculous decision! Judge couldn't even read her own writings."

http://www.channel24.co.za/News/Int...a-is-a-total-and-very-dangerous-mess-20150421

FYI
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...-1227335961858

Counting Dead Women: The issue we need to talk about
MAY 05, 2015

Jenna Price, along with others, has undertaken the grim task of compiling a list of all the Australian women who die violent deaths. Most are victims of domestic violence.
"The project, Counting Dead Women, has already recorded 34 deaths this year ... it’s devastating that large sections of the community appear to “accept” violence against women as a fact of life - particularly in the wake of Sunday’s much-publicised fight involving boxer Floyd Mayweather, who has a long record of domestic violence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay