Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more JA talks, the worse for her, IMO. If she does trash, I hope JSS will trash her right back. I'm 100% sure she will trash her with natural life in Perryville, but I'm hoping for some choice words too. We'll see next week!

JA is allowed to speak and beg for mercy. This is the law. It sucks, but it's not JSS' fault.

If it goes something like this, it won't go well. Correcting JSS right off the get go with "That's not correct". :gaah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhy6cvxmGc

ETA ~ IMO, she had her chance to plead for mercy, explain the crime, and "show" remorse. She chose back then to do none of it. What makes her think JSS will give her life w/ possibility of parole?

Pam Smart has not had a great life in prison. Excerpted from Wikipedia:

In October 1996, Smart was severely beaten by inmates... Ever since she was severely beaten, she takes medication for chronic pain and sometimes thinks of suicide. Her counselor, Dr. Eleanor Pam, says that "she has many, many, many dark days."...

...In an interview with ABC News, Smart indicated she is afraid of growing old and dying in prison and would rather have had the death penalty than life.

So perhaps LWOP is a fate worse than death...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_Smart

ETA: I believe Susan Smith's story follows a similar trajectory.

From the link I posted above here is one comment that was written 2 months ago from someone that supposedly was in prison with her

getgoing2015 • 2 months ago

I was in prison with Smart and she walks around there with an entourage like shes a celebrity. She has everything a person can have in prison and as tho she is the queen of Bedford hills correctional facility. Pam smart admits she was the mastermind behind the whole plot....but when the camera crews come in she tells a different story. I feel bad for pams victims family as she claims she was a battered woman. In my opinion....pam smart enjoys the attention and how much publicity the case has given her

So if someone beat up Pamela Smart there might be the same fate waiting for JA at Perryville. Hmmmm....

If it goes something like this, it won't go well. Correcting JSS right off the get go with "That's not correct". :gaah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhy6cvxmGc

ETA ~ IMO, she had her chance to plead for mercy, explain the crime, and "show" remorse. She chose back then to do none of it. What makes her think JSS will give her life w/ possibility of parole?

JSS has been in the room with JA for a long, long time and has seen the majority of two juries vote for her death. There is no chance that whatever rambling, verbose BS that JA thinks she can pass off as "I'm sorry" is going to cause JSS to sentence her to anything less than the rest of her genetically predisposed to long, non-smoking, natural life in Perryville.

Diane Downs has absolutely no grasp on reality. She is paranoid and delusional and her life is just plain sucky--and it would be even if she were not in prison. I wish I could find the letter she sent to her daughter--the one that she gave birth to after her arrest. It leaves little question to the state of her mind these days. And considering that was written some years ago I imagine her mental status to be much worse now rather than better. At best, Downs is medicated to the point of comfortably numb.

Not sure about what Pam Smart endures these days but most prisoners adapt fairly well just because they have no choice. Prisons are set up to help them adapt because when they adapt they are less likely to be trouble. Those who cannot or will not adapt find themselves often separated from the others for short or long, or sometimes very long, periods of time. That's for everyone's protection/well being.

I believe prison is a punishment more so for some than others but I guess that's true with just about anything. Jodi will probably adapt after an initial period of rule-breaking and not liking being told what to do. Eventually she will come around, though. And so what if she does adapt. She's still locked up, not running around with blond tresses and fake *advertiser censored* in everyone's face. No Starbucks. No travel beyond the prison walls except possibly if she has to be hospitalized for something. And then she would be under heavy guard and still have rules to follow. The worst of it all, I believe will be no coming and going as she pleases. To each his own--but for me, I could do all of that for a few years if I had to but the eventual realization that I would live the rest of my life like that would surely suck!

I do not think we have to worry too much about Jodi Arias embracing her new life with much enthusiasm. It will be all about survival, and that will not leave much room for many good times.

Thank you for this balanced and objective look at what lies ahead for Arias and others who have no chance of leaving prison.

CMJA's personality profile is such that she is awkward in groups and more comfortable dealing one on one with people. Her transition to gen pop will be most uncomfortable for her because of this and her reputation going into gen pop. In time, she will find a way to exist. By then, I imagine her cult followers will have dwindled in numbers.

She is not even 35 years old. By all standards, she has at least another 40 years to live, all behind bars. Perryville is not one of the top places in the country to serve out the rest of one's life.

She said he moved a few feet after kicking him and wasn'seen after that. "

I think she was saying he flew through the air a few feet when she kicked Doggyboy. We dont know if he was a small dog.

especially since they have no A/C. I don't think they should be pampered but I do think living in a concrete jungle in the middle of the desert with no trees without A/C kind of inhumane but if they didn't do the crime they wouldn't have to do the time so... maybe the other killers we have been talking about have it just a tad better if they have A/C or heat if they were in a colder state

She said he moved a few feet after kicking him and wasn'seen after that. "

I think she was saying he flew through the air a few feet when she kicked Doggyboy. We dont know if he was a small dog.

I personally have always thought that she made the whole thing up. I don't believe they ever had a dog named doggyboy. But if they did really have a dog then she probably killed it not just kicked it once. Just the whole way she was going on and on, saying "I have to apologize to doggyboy!" She would apologize to a imaginary dog but she won't apologize to the family of the man she slaughtered.

I believe for many, LWOP is worse than death. It certainly would be worse for me. I would not fear dying as much as I would living in emotional pain, fear and hopelessness.

It seems Pam Smart has family that believe in her and visit her still, after all these years. Will Jodi Arias have that? Something tells me she won't.

I haven't seen any evidence that CMJA ever cultivated those deep relationships based on truth, acceptance and forgiveness of others that could sustain her throughout her incarceration. The only just outcome is LWOP. She must pay forher life based on lies, manipulation, immorality, greed and self service. Karma is the result of actions. Her bad choices and evil motivations and machinations have a logical outcome, LWOP, and that is her karma. She must accept it and move on leaving the evil/bad decisions behind or she will never have peace. She has said she thinks of herself as an "evolved" human Pfffffffft She should be jailed forever on that statement alone.

2. Hasn't JSS had 30 days to draw up the sentencing order? Shouldn't the decree have been drawn up by now? what is the point of witness testimony?
JMO it will be a morning of witness statements and then lunch followed by the decision and the murderer's incarceration for the rest of her natural life.

3. Of all the experts who testified in the entire circus the one I have the least respect for is ALV! An assessment/evaluation that took 44 hours with the accused is unheard of! Why didn't she just adopt the criminal? In addition gifts of books and a mag subscription are so far out of the bounds of a clinical evaluation I could vomit!

4. I have been addicted to crime and trials since before OJ and I had thought I had seen just about every sickening thing that a trial could dredge up but this one takes the cake. My only regret was googling JA's autopsy photos not because I was shocked (I have seen 1000's) but because I had allowed myself to to like TA as a human being. A regular guy who struggled on his path but was able to rise above his humble beginnings and cultivate his talent to inspire others into a budding career. The identifying autopsy photo shocked me into the reality of exactly what CMJA accomplished on June42008. She reduced that promising young man to worm food for no other reason than her own selfishness . For that she must pay. JMVHO

I live in Arizona and right now at the time of this posting it is 1:56 pm. I hope that helps.

OKAY!! Thanks a bunch - same time here!! So, it starts for me - Pacific Time - 8:30am!

:wave:

I agree. Besides, had JSS sentenced her that day, she would not have been privy to Sheriff Joe's novel about the murderess's conduct.
Indeed. I sort of imagine Sheriff Joe wheeling in a giant wheelbarrow filled to the brim with numerous thick 3 ring notebooks. Here ya go Judge.

especially since they have no A/C. I don't think they should be pampered but I do think living in a concrete jungle in the middle of the desert with no trees without A/C kind of inhumane but if they didn't do the crime they wouldn't have to do the time so... maybe the other killers we have been talking about have it just a tad better if they have A/C or heat if they were in a colder state

I just don't feel sorry for this murderer. I do feel sorry for the people throughout this country that do hard physical work during the summer in similar climates without air conditioning and don't even have swamp coolers. That is pathetic and I compare these companies to prisons. With no sick days ever, if they use vacation because they are sick, they get an infraction, with two infractions you are fired. There are many companies out there that treat their employees as prisoners. Nope I don't feel sorry for Jodi stuck at Perryville for, I hope, the rest of her miserable life.

I just don't feel sorry for this murderer. I do feel sorry for the people throughout this country that do hard physical work during the summer in similar climates without air conditioning and don't even have swamp coolers. That is pathetic and I compare these companies to prisons. With no sick days ever, if they use vacation because they are sick, they get an infraction, with two infractions you are fired. There are many companies out there that treat their employees as prisoners. Nope I don't feel sorry for Jodi stuck at Perryville for, I hope, the rest of her miserable life.

Bravo RB! too true! CMJA should enjoy an eternity of hard work and a second helping of hard work on top of that. Perhaps if she ever successfully cultivated or cared for another living thing beyond herself I would feel some sympathy for her future, but the DT wasn't able to come up with ONE selfless act she preformed !
If I am mistaken please feel free to correct me.

Throughout her adulthood she attached herself to men that could improve her circumstances. TA was the "golden ticket" and she went "all in" sexually thinking that was something he couldn't resist. She failed to recognize that as much as TA loved sex he had values beyond that. Her lying did her in. She lied about small things and large things and when that didn't work she decided to "bring him down" with her threat to go to the bishop. His church was tied up with his social circle and his livelihood.

Do any of you think she wanted to "bring him down"in his church so he would be on equal footing with her lesser status and then be forced to settle for CMJA? I 'm not sure if my point is clear.

sherry-contrary-new.jpg

“Jodi, what are you doing in 25 years minus 7 years time served, plus good behavior?

No way in hell this is gonna' happen. Zero.. Nada!!!! I would love to see JSS go all *nasty verbal* on CMJA when she sentences the murdering butcheress to LWOP.

I so wish that the Alexander family and supporters could wait outside the final "entrance way" at PV when CMJA arrives. Just the thought of knowing their faces are the last of the outside world that CMJA will ever see gives me some comfort.

As for the prison bus that will deliver CMJA - I think the windows should be tinted enough that CMJA can't see out and enjoy the scenery along her 25 minute drive. All wishful thinking!

Justice is coming. Thoughts and prayers are with the Alexander family and supporters - may you finally have some resemblance of peace & justice and move forward with your dreams. Travis will always be with each and everyone of you in spirit.

Just an after thought. If CMJA did get LWP, she will never get out. I'm not sure about AZ, but.......

Parole Eligibility
Most states limit parole to inmates convicted of certain crimes who have served a certain percentage of their sentence. For instance, offenders who have been convicted of first degree murder, kidnapping, rape, arson, or drug trafficking are generally not eligible for parole. For other offenders, the parole board will consider each inmate's personal characteristics, such as age, mental stability, marital status and prior criminal record. Parole boards do not grant parole to offenders simply for "good behavior" exhibited during incarceration. The parole board will also consider the nature and severity of the offense committed, the length of sentence served and the inmate's degree of remorse for the offense. Finally, the parole board will examine the inmate's ability to establish a permanent residence and obtain gainful employment upon release. Parole will be granted if there is no apparent threat to public safety and the inmate is willing and able to re-enter the community.

BBM

Source: Justia.com

Re BIB - and sometimes they are telling the truth, and sometimes they are still executed, so I personally would prefer to not be quite so cavalier or dismissive when it comes to guilt and innocence. Maybe in the cases you cited and which I'm not familiar with there are no doubts, and definitely I have no concerns re innocence or justification when it comes to Arias, but your post happened to be very timely as in between reading here I've been reading the article linked to below and just finished it. Sobering stuff IMO and a good example of how even the most cast-iron sounding evidence can turn out to be very rubbery indeed. I'd recommend it to anyone with the time and inclination to read it. BTW, if this post reads rather negatively towards your bolded bit it's because I literally finished reading the article when I read the post and am feeling a bit p'ed off at the injustice of this particular case. Nothing personal intended but going by your tagline, you'll understand that.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/09/07/trial-by-fire

That story is incredibly sad. I remember reading about it years ago. People like K. Zellner and innocence project groups have done much good work in this area. I know there are more people like Ryan Ferguson and Marty Tankleff who were thankfully released from prison after after having amazing people work on their cases.

But I also believe that there are many others like Roger Keith Coleman who insist they are innocent, only to really be guilty. He was such a horrible person. You can read about him here http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10823771/...sts-confirm-executed-mans-guilt/#.VSR-ZYb3arU

I know our system isn't perfect, but it is what we have. This case has been very upsetting to me the most due to the fact that the victim in this case has been trashed and lied about constantly by a murdering psychopath who manipulates and hurts everyone around her. She's a toxic user. I believe that if the genders had been reversed, 90% of the character assassination would never have been allowed. Travis would have been locked away and forgotten about long ago if the roles were reversed.

So was she an adult when she did this? I can imagine a kid maybe - a very young, Addams Family type kid - but an adult? If so, she is even sicker and nastier than I thought.

I agree that she won't want to have to 'grovel' for a lesser sentence. IMO that is half the reason she didn't allocute recently - she didn't want to be in the position of saying sorry or seeming to be begging for mercy. That way she could, in her mind at least, hold her head up high and give no-one the satisfaction of seeing her humbled. For that reason alone I very much hope she's striped and shackled on sentencing day.

Jodi writes about Luna in her journal. She called her a she devil. I don't know when Jodi left her at grannys, other than she wasn't with Jodi in Mesa.

Michael Kiefer ‏@michaelbkiefer · 2h2 hours ago
According to Maricopa County officials, the most recent tally of Jodi Arias defense costs is $3,441,304.91.

Really, until she "tried" to snag Travis, her circumstances sucked. DB was old and wrinkly, an alcoholic, and never wanted a relationship with her, beyond her being eye candy and sex for him, plus paying half the mortgage. MM and BJ were more of hit it and quit it types, and she worked to support at least BJ. Neither contributed to her future in life. When it all boils down, she had nothing with any of them. She confused sex with love, and reminds me of a poor little rich girl. Don't misunderstand me, I am not at all feeling sorry for her, maybe just a little sadness for how she turned out. JMO.

I agree. Her circumstances did suck. And I think she knew it and was on the prowl for someone who was young, successful and would take care of her. Looks don't last forever and she was getting older. She was almost 30 and had no education, had never held a consistent job, had no savings or a home and couldn't pay her bills. I too feel that she was doing a check kiting scheme and it was only a matter of time until she was caught which could bring jail time. She knew she was running out of time and had to snag someone before her looks were gone and I think that's exactly what she set out to do when she met Travis. People like her have a talent for finding and manipulating good people into doing exactly what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela