Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We still don't know that they didn't. We don't know if they know more than we web sleuths do, questioned her about it, and accepted her answers. We can jump to all kinds of conclusions, but we didn't even see the trial much less in-chambers meetings with the judge, lawyers and #17 present. Heck, I'm still not sure if they wanted to talk to #17 because Dr. Drew Tweeted a teaser about having #17 on his show that night.

OK if they did and she still sat on that jury, isn't that even worse?

It is my understanding that if she had received th DP she would be granted ONE automatic appeal (I assume paid for by the state) after that I'm not sure.

With a life sentence there is no guarantee of appeal, and she's all on her own. Her days of milking the state are over. That's why in a weird twisted way this was the worst outcome for her. Someone earlier summed it up very consisly.

The majority of 2 juries voted for the DP, Thereby robbing her of her victim card. She'll fade into obscurity and won't be able to torture the Alexanders any longer.

I think the only guarantee now is that she'll receive a LWOP sentence.
Fading into obscurity....the worst nightmare for a sociopath who thrives on the limelight and media attention. It may have been two years already since the first jury convicted her of murder, however, it is going to be a much longer two years before she can even entertain any possibility of privileges within the prison. And one thing, I believe is for certain, she will never be reunited with Travis, no matter how many years she lives.

MOO

It is my understanding that if she had received th DP she would be granted ONE automatic appeal (I assume paid for by the state) after that I'm not sure.

With a life sentence there is no guarantee of appeal, and she's all on her own. Her days of milking the state are over. That's why in a weird twisted way this was the worst outcome for her. Someone earlier summed it up very consisly.

The majority of 2 juries voted for the DP, Thereby robbing her of her victim card. She'll fade into obscurity and won't be able to torture the Alexanders any longer.

I think the only guarantee now is that she'll receive a LWOP sentence.

Good, that is all I want, JA to just ... disappear. Her new BFF, Angela, will be a real treat for JA to attempt to manipulate.

I still don't understand holding JA to testify in the civil case. She could be transported from Perryville just as well as Estrella. This Collins woman, former cellmate of JA, is the one that claimed JA was going to put a hit out on JM.

I just can't believe it was missed by JM and the court, a simple search would have uncovered it, I mean if old ladies on Twitter could manage it in a couple of hours, surely the court / prosecutors office could have done the same. Let's see, you're re-trialing the penalty phase in a high profile case, one of the jurors who has made the short cut was married to a guy who was involved in violent crime and prosecuted in the same county this case is being tried in, there is a possibility of stealth jurors trying to join the final 12 in the hope of making a quick buck, so let's have a quick look and make sure she's telling the truth and her husband wasn't prosecuted by Juan, or adjudicated by JSS or Nurmi wasn't his lawyer at the time or something, just in case she's lying. It's pretty embarrassing.

This is JMO, but I think they did not know her previous married name to husband #1, therefore not putting two and two together. If they did, she would have been disqualified immediately.

Furthermore, she lied when she was asked if she knew anyone on the DT, PT. She obviously knew JM. I am just not sure how deeply they search into jurors past marriages and divorces to gain sufficient knowledge. Besides, I think JM would not have connected her previous married name to someone he convicted, as it is such a common name. I dunno, just my thoughts and opinion. :dunno:

I agree. IMO she had determined that for her to survive and "move on" that Travis had to go.

First, her obsession was eating her up. She can't stand being 1,000 miles away, he's not making efforts to visit, she can't keep tabs on him, he's on to her hacking..she could end the obsession by killing it

Second, if she pursues dating PPL men, like Ryan, like those who would be on the Cancun trip, Travis could out her as a stalker, tire slasher etc. She had just wasted nearly two years trying to get married to Travis...she's almost 28 and doesn't have much more time to snag a high earner to marry

IMO in her warped brain it was her or Travis

I respectfully disagree with your assessment about ja.

IF she was truly an abused woman who couldn't escape the abuse, I'd agree with you 100% about "him or me" survival. This was not her life. I would never agree that it was survival no matter who acted by stabbing 29 times, slitting the throat almost to decapitation AND SHOOTING HIM IN THE FACE. A single shot to the torso, even more than one stab in terrified frenzy I could understand, but ja EXECUTED TRAVIS ALEXANDER.

There's a difference between setting yourself free from a life of abuse and fear for your life and EXECUTING SOMEONE FOR REVENGE.

Jodi Arias took REVENGE by murdering her victim Travis Alexander several times over.

IF she was truly an abused woman stuck in that life situation and she shot him once (but not in the face because that's a message, not protecting one's self), I could see (not necessarily agree depending on circumstances) someone thinking she didn't deserve DP.

I have empathy and understanding for those women who TRULY have been so abused physically and mentally and have been isolated by their spouse from any sense of self-worth and from family, friends, BUT THIS IS NOT JODI ARIAS' situation. *Not yelling at you TexMex, but at that dip***** juror who couldn't tell the difference between true survival and REVENGE.

So, I found it so incredibly fascinating (not really) that Jodi and the juror both described the death penalty as revenge, when in fact, it was JA herself who took revenge in the first place.

Exactly. He uses these cases to get money. He asks for support, and probably pockets all or some of the money. JA had a fit about it when her 'support' group split, and she wanted the money to go to her family and this guy was still collecting in her name. If I read everything correctly her family never saw a dime from this guy. That's how I understand it, I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Not sure what he got in the early phases, and I'm sure he gets something for expenses, but currently the money goes into a trust fund for Jodi's appeal. I hope once the Alexander's file their wrongful death suit...this fund gets audited. I'm guessing if it really is in a Trust, the Alexander's won't see dime of it?

Here I go again with my, "Am I remembering correctly?", buuuuut, don't the Arias peeps believe they are going to get the conviction overturned? The whole, she was wrongly convicted thing. Is it possible to appeal a conviction or just a sentence?

And my brain is mush. Something happened to my memory after having kids!

She will be appealing the conviction, not the sentence.

Here I go again with my, "Am I remembering correctly?", buuuuut, don't the Arias peeps believe they are going to get the conviction overturned? The whole, she was wrongly convicted thing. Is it possible to appeal a conviction or just a sentence?

And my brain is mush. Something happened to my memory after having kids!
They believe the Sun rises out the ocean because they've seen it. They're looney. Seriously they believed JA would be home for Thanksgiving the second Nurmi filed his computer forensic based prosecutorial misconduct charge. Juan shut that down in one sentence. It's like that.

I just wanted to share that it brings me much joy and happiness that my "Open Letter to the Arias Jurors" has landed exactly where I intended it to. It's been very rewarding to help certain individuals suffering from the trauma of this outcome through my own experience. I don't want and won't betray any confidence but just say that it's had an outcome far beyond I ever imagined. It's gotten nearly 10,000 hits and dozens and dozens of emails near and far inside and outside the case that I'm taking the day to reply to right now. There is nothing more rewarding than to know your efforts have made a difference and I feel very very happy and satisfied that the risk I took in writing that, did. If you haven't read it and would like to, please send me a private message and I will give you the information--I'm still not clear on the "rules" here about linking outside sources so won't link it here but can send it privately (I think).

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

This might be an ignorant question,but since she admitted to killing Travis, how does she think her conviction will be overturned.

OK if they did and she still sat on that jury, isn't that even worse?

If they did, and she said that she could keep an open mind, follow the instructions and deliberate in good faith, then nope.

ETA: Just going by Beth Karas' notes on her during jury selection, I think is it's crazy that Juan Martinez accepted her on the jury based on just the background that she gave them at that time. But he did.

She will be appealing the conviction, not the sentence.

Thank you. I have never followed a trial before this one. The judicial system and the way it works (and clearly doesn't work) are some reasons I have paid attention.

So they need to wait until the sentencing phase is complete to file an appeal for the conviction?

I respectfully disagree with your assessment about ja.

IF she was truly an abused woman who couldn't escape the abuse, I'd agree with you 100% about "him or me" survival. This was not her life. I would never agree that it was survival no matter who acted by stabbing 29 times, slitting the throat almost to decapitation AND SHOOTING HIM IN THE FACE. A single shot to the torso, even more than one stab in terrified frenzy I could understand, but ja EXECUTED TRAVIS ALEXANDER.

There's a difference between setting yourself free from a life of abuse and fear for your life and EXECUTING SOMEONE FOR REVENGE.

Jodi Arias took REVENGE by murdering her victim Travis Alexander several times over.

IF she was truly an abused woman stuck in that life situation and she shot him once (but not in the face because that's a message, not protecting one's self), I could see (not necessarily agree depending on circumstances) someone thinking she didn't deserve DP.

I have empathy and understanding for those women who TRULY have been so abused physically and mentally and have been isolated by their spouse from any sense of self-worth and from family, friends, BUT THIS IS NOT JODI ARIAS' situation. *Not yelling at you TexMex, but at that dip***** juror who couldn't tell the difference between true survival and REVENGE.

So, I found it so incredibly fascinating (not really) that Jodi and the juror both described the death penalty as revenge, when in fact, it was JA herself who took revenge in the first place.

She absolutely executed him. I in no way think she was abused. And Jodi didn't think she was abused when she killed Travis.
Setting herself free was from her obsession, not abuse IMO. And survival, meaning her being able to move on and pursue PPL or Mormon men without worrying Travis will hear about it and out her.
Revenge probably did factor in...she exacted revenge on him for calling her out on her manipulation of him, him calling her names, him refusing to come see her sing and whatever else she could dream up. I do think she was furious. She had focused only on him for almost two years and in the end she was good enough for phone sex but he would never see her as marriage material. She was pissed
Idk. She's twisted!

This might be an ignorant question,but since she admitted to killing Travis, how does she think her conviction will be overturned.

I can't imagine what's in her twisted up mind nor that of her equally twisted minions but I will say that she would have a far greater chance of getting a new trial (which would be her only chance ever of getting out of prison which won't happen) if she was on Death Row. This I know first hand.

I just wanted to share that it brings me much joy and happiness that my "Open Letter to the Arias Jurors" has landed exactly where I intended it to. It's been very rewarding to help certain individuals suffering from the trauma of this outcome through my own experience. I don't want and won't betray any confidence but just say that it's had an outcome far beyond I ever imagined. It's gotten nearly 10,000 hits and dozens and dozens of emails near and far inside and outside the case that I'm taking the day to reply to right now. There is nothing more rewarding than to know your efforts have made a difference and I feel very very happy and satisfied that the risk I took in writing that, did. If you haven't read it and would like to, please send me a private message and I will give you the information--I'm still not clear on the "rules" here about linking outside sources so won't link it here but can send it privately (I think).

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.
That's great Katie, I felt so bad for them hearing them in that media conference. I think they did an absolutely amazing job, I mean really, they just could not have done any better, I think the fact that they saw through all the defenses lies to the real Travis is a win far bigger than the verdict alone could ever have been. That more than anything shows that their sincerity and fairness was right up front and center, and right where it was needed. I'm sure the thousands or millions following this trial have nothing but the fondest admiration for what they did, and they have absolutely nothing to be sorry about. That's the way I feel.

And I'm sure you'll understand this, personally I'm happier with this verdict than with a DP verdict because of the mendacious nature of the DP in its current form, for what it's worth.

AZlawyer, what can the Alexander family attach when Jodi loses her civil case? Can they attach the money that is put into the prison store? Can they attach her art work? It has shown to be of some value. Im sure she will find an angle where there is one.

Among all of the other ludicrous things she said, she said she killed him in self defense.

King Jordan Radio Welcomes a Dream Team to discuss the Jodi Arias trial and other legal news. Beth Karas, an icon in the business formally With Court TV, HLN ,& CNN, is currently in Phoenix covering Jodi Arias. Seattle defense attorney Anne Bremner worked on The Amanda Knox Trial. Dwane Cates is an Arizona defense attorney often seen on HLN. All will bring their wisdom and add to the conversation as we break down the leading legal News

www.blogtalkradio.com/jordan-king/2015/03/06/anne-bremnerbeth-karas-dwane-cates-on-jodi-arias

"lynch mob mentality"????

"the pitchforks and torches" people????

Oh my!! Um .. they do realise who their (sometimes paying) audience is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi