DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Two years ago, Patrick Pipkins, Air Force Office of Special Investigations special agent, did what his chief of the OSI Cold Case Team called, “some amazing work,” to locate an Air Force deserter who went missing in 1984.

At the time of her disappearance it was believed the Airman took off with a married man who had parentally kidnapped his 4-year-old son. Neither the Airman, the man, nor the son were heard from since 1984.

The Air Force, the Airman’s family and the son’s mother were left with unanswered questions about the trio’s fate.

Fast forward to 2019, when Pipkins, through some innovative data mining, determined all three missing persons had assumed new identities and settled in Little Rock, Arkansas. Unfortunately, all three died of natural causes within a two year span dating back to 2007-2009.

“We also learned prior to his death, the son fathered two children,” said John Fine, OSI Cold Case Team chief. “As part of our efforts to confirm the identity of the Air Force deserter, we partnered with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to conduct DNA testing.”

One of those tests confirmed the son’s identity, so 35 years later, his mother finally had some answers. Despite the sad news, she also learned she had two new grandchildren.

“We learned from NCMEC that in the very near future the grandmother will meet two of her grandchildren for the first time,” Fine said.

According to NCMEC “The children were found in Little Rock, Arkansas, in a loving foster home.”

The team involved with the care of the grandchildren; the case workers, supervisors, doctors and therapists, met to discuss reuniting the children with their biological grandmother and their consensus was yes.

The grandmother was informed and a therapist is going to talk with the children to set a date, now that they’ve responded positively to the idea.

“A case never goes cold for the victim’s family,” Fine said in putting the case into perspective. “For the victim’s family members, solving a cold case can bring very much-needed resolution to what happened to their loved ones.”

The innovative data mining approach used by Pipkins, demonstrated how employing OSI’s Line of Effort to Drive Innovation not only closed a 35-year-old cold case, but it brought welcome closure to families searching for answers.

“This case is a prime example of what the OSI Cold Case Team does for the Air Force, its members and their families,” Pipkins said. “It shows who we are and why we exist to find the truth. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, we will never give up. Providing closure and the opportunity to reunite family members after more than 35 years, is the ultimate reward.”https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2487107/innovation-leads-to-osi-cold-case-closure/
Innovation leads to OSI cold case closure > U.S. Air Force > Article Display

A Connecticut man was arrested by police and held on a $2 million bond Saturday in connection with the cold case murder of a teenage girl nearly 17 years ago.

Willie Robinson, 52, is accused of strangling Jessica Keyworth, 16, and leaving her in a basement stairwell of an apartment building just blocks from his known residence after Memorial Day Weekend 2004, according to the Republican American newspaper in Waterbury, Conn.

Keyworth took a train into Waterbury that arrived just before midnight on Memorial Day to meet up with a friend but she was found murdered in a stairwell the next morning.

The chief didn’t specify what led investigators to Robinson but said they were aided by DNA evidence and forensic science, FOX 61 in Hartford reported. It wasn't clear how she ended up in the stairwell.

Police put Keyworth’s unsolved case in a specially designed deck of cards sold to prison inmates that features cold cases on different cards. Keyworth was the three of hearts. The cards have led to hundreds of tips in cases, but police didn’t say if her card helped lead to Robinson’s arrest.

The investigation is ongoing and police said the $50,000 reward for information helping lead to an arrest and conviction in the case is still available, the newspaper reported.
Connecticut cold case murder of teen girl solved via DNA evidence, authorities say

A Connecticut man was arrested by police and held on a $2 million bond Saturday in connection with the cold case murder of a teenage girl nearly 17 years ago.

Willie Robinson, 52, is accused of strangling Jessica Keyworth, 16, and leaving her in a basement stairwell of an apartment building just blocks from his known residence after Memorial Day Weekend 2004, according to the Republican American newspaper in Waterbury, Conn.

Keyworth took a train into Waterbury that arrived just before midnight on Memorial Day to meet up with a friend but she was found murdered in a stairwell the next morning.

The chief didn’t specify what led investigators to Robinson but said they were aided by DNA evidence and forensic science, FOX 61 in Hartford reported. It wasn't clear how she ended up in the stairwell.

Police put Keyworth’s unsolved case in a specially designed deck of cards sold to prison inmates that features cold cases on different cards. Keyworth was the three of hearts. The cards have led to hundreds of tips in cases, but police didn’t say if her card helped lead to Robinson’s arrest.

The investigation is ongoing and police said the $50,000 reward for information helping lead to an arrest and conviction in the case is still available, the newspaper reported.
Connecticut cold case murder of teen girl solved via DNA evidence, authorities say
News report from 2007.

GREELEY, Colo. — Greeley Police (GPD) said they have found the person who kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 7-year-old girl 20 years ago.

Jaime “James” Zamora, who GPD said died in 2014, has been identified as the suspect in a cold case from Sept. 18, 2001.

[...]

In August 2019, GPD began working with a DNA technology company that specializes in DNA phenotyping, which is the process of predicting physical appearance and ancestry from unidentified DNA evidence.

Through that work, GPD said they produced a composite image of the suspect and performed generic geological research.

[...]

GPD said Zamora died in 2014 while living in Wellington.

Cold case: 2001 Greeley kidnapping, sex assault solved | 9news.com

New article in the DM Man charged in 1986 cold-case murder writes letter claiming his rights have been violated | Daily Mail Online
concerning a letter (written on Valentine's day 2021 to a local Wisconsin tv station) from the suspect charged October 2020 in the 1986 cold case murder ( by strangulation) of 22 year old young mother, Lisa Holstead.

Lou Archie Griffin was implicated in this murder by the analysis of sperm found with the victim, traced through genetic genealogy, and matched by police to Griffin's discarded beer cans and a cigarette butt.

He initially denied knowing the victim, but when confronted by the DNA evidence admitted that he must have had sex with her at some time, (although there is no evidence that the two even knew each other). Griffin is querying that another male profile was found and that has not been traced. Nice try, but I think the fact that police say Griffin has a history of violence against women, including strangulation and had just been released on parole for child sex offences a month before Lisa's murder is going to go against him.

It caught my eye that Lisa's boyfriend's account of the night was that they had had an argument, she had left the car and never came home. A story we often hear, and I am sure many must have suspected him. DNA is also saving some male partners from wrongful convictions. Poor Lisa must have then run into Griffin who took advantage of her vulnerability and bore no consequences for 35 years. Sounds like even though he was a recently released sex offender who lived a few miles from Lisa at the time, he was not investigated at the time.

Presumably his history of violence against women occurred after her murder. It does raise the question of why the DNA of domestic violence offenders was not collected and put into the system upon arrest, in which case Lisa's murder would have been solved sooner and saved other women from being victims of this man. It is very apparent that there is some crossover between "stranger" attacks on random women, many of these men are also violent towards the women they are connected to socially. My guess is many rapes and unsolved rape/murders would be solved if this was done (retrospectively as well, although I know I am dreaming here!). Although if the offender is jailed for "domestic assault" their DNA would be collected, I assume?
I believe I read an article about a cold case rape victim (in the USA) who is campaigning for this to happen but unfortunately I can't find the reference at the moment, will keep looking.

Apologies (see my above post), if this is wrong that DNA is not routinely collected for DV arrests in the USA, that is what I understood from the rape case I was reading about. I know thing are often different state to state. In the meantime I found this interesting article that goes into the cracks in the CODIS system, which has led to long delays where offenders' DNA failed to be collected, which has resulted in long delays to the resolution of cases (including that of Holly Cassano) and of course further victims who could have been spared
'A big problem': How a killer eluded capture by dodging DNA collection

Apologies (see my above post), if this is wrong that DNA is not routinely collected for DV arrests in the USA, that is what I understood from the rape case I was reading about. I know thing are often different state to state. In the meantime I found this interesting article that goes into the cracks in the CODIS system, which has led to long delays where offenders' DNA failed to be collected, which has resulted in long delays to the resolution of cases (including that of Holly Cassano) and of course further victims who could have been spared
'A big problem': How a killer eluded capture by dodging DNA collection
New article in the DM Man charged in 1986 cold-case murder writes letter claiming his rights have been violated | Daily Mail Online
concerning a letter (written on Valentine's day 2021 to a local Wisconsin tv station) from the suspect charged October 2020 in the 1986 cold case murder ( by strangulation) of 22 year old young mother, Lisa Holstead.

Lou Archie Griffin was implicated in this murder by the analysis of sperm found with the victim, traced through genetic genealogy, and matched by police to Griffin's discarded beer cans and a cigarette butt.

He initially denied knowing the victim, but when confronted by the DNA evidence admitted that he must have had sex with her at some time, (although there is no evidence that the two even knew each other). Griffin is querying that another male profile was found and that has not been traced. Nice try, but I think the fact that police say Griffin has a history of violence against women, including strangulation and had just been released on parole for child sex offences a month before Lisa's murder is going to go against him.

It caught my eye that Lisa's boyfriend's account of the night was that they had had an argument, she had left the car and never came home. A story we often hear, and I am sure many must have suspected him. DNA is also saving some male partners from wrongful convictions. Poor Lisa must have then run into Griffin who took advantage of her vulnerability and bore no consequences for 35 years. Sounds like even though he was a recently released sex offender who lived a few miles from Lisa at the time, he was not investigated at the time.

Presumably his history of violence against women occurred after her murder. It does raise the question of why the DNA of domestic violence offenders was not collected and put into the system upon arrest, in which case Lisa's murder would have been solved sooner and saved other women from being victims of this man. It is very apparent that there is some crossover between "stranger" attacks on random women, many of these men are also violent towards the women they are connected to socially. My guess is many rapes and unsolved rape/murders would be solved if this was done (retrospectively as well, although I know I am dreaming here!). Although if the offender is jailed for "domestic assault" their DNA would be collected, I assume?
I believe I read an article about a cold case rape victim (in the USA) who is campaigning for this to happen but unfortunately I can't find the reference at the moment, will keep looking.

Found this case at last! A very brutal kidnapping, rape and victim beaten almost to point of death, 1992. Fayetteville, NC, https://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article247228739.html
quote from article:
Proctor had been living in Fayetteville ever since the kidnapping, police said, and was arrested in 2013 for domestic assault against a female. No DNA sample was collected, and generally isn’t in the case of such crimes.

Proctor's DNA was eventually obtained due to a probationary requirement 2020, unfortunately there are two other suspects who participated in the crime. Not sure if DNA evidence exists for them but obviously Proctor could identify them if he chose to. None of them should get away with this.

Not solved, but they're using GG in this case:
_____

Using new technology, investigators from the Littleton Police Department (LPD) said Wednesday they're going over every piece of evidence from a triple murder from 2002 hoping to bring the killer or killers to justice.

[...]

Bobby Zajac, 23, Erin Golla, 26, and 29-year-old James Springer were shot to death inside the AMF Broadway Bowling Alley located at 5485 S. Broadway in Littleton shortly before midnight on Jan. 27, 2002.

Golla and Springer were the last two closing employees and Zajac had been bowling and was going to get a ride home from Springer, LPD said.

After closing the alley, Golla called her a friend at 11:40 p.m. to come pick her up. Sometime after she made that call, the three victims came into contact with an unknown person or people and were shot to death during an apparent robbery.

Investigators said Wednesday around 11:50 p.m. that night, a middle-aged white man with a bald head was seen exiting the bowling alley wearing a knee-length trench coat. He got into a dark-colored, newer model pickup truck and left the area heading south.

Five minutes later at 11:55 p.m. the friend who had come to pick up Golla discovered their bodies inside.

df7acd60-7284-46e7-818f-39d89427010b_1140x641.jpg

[...]

The FBI is already following up some new leads that were gathered using genetic genealogy, according to Morrissey.

"We're going to continue this work until we find the individual or individuals responsible for these murders," he said.

Littleton bowling alley murders: AMF bowling shooting is unsolved | 9news.com

Nine years after a woman was raped by a masked man who broke into her Belle Fourche home, she watched as he was sentenced to 45 years in prison on Wednesday.

“I feel like I’m the one who’s been imprisoned all these years," the woman wrote in her victim impact letter.

Shane Boice, a 34-year-old who now lives in Nisland, was sentenced by Judge Michael Day at the Butte County Courthouse in Belle Fourche after pleading guilty to second-degree rape for raping the woman by force, coercion or threat on April 12, 2012.

[...]

The rape case is unique because it's the rare instance of a stranger breaking into a house to rape someone and because it was solved through forensic genealogy, when a DNA sample is matched to a suspect through their relatives.

Man gets 45 years in prison after DNA links him to 2012 rape in Belle Fourche

Ivan Keith, a 63-year-old who man fled Massachusetts 18 years ago in an alleged attempt to avoid being connected to at least four rapes dating back to the 1990s, has pleaded guilty to a series of charges, officials said, and is now expected to spend the rest of his life in prison.

[...]

Judge Sharon Donatelle sentenced Keith to serve 25 to 30 years in prison, Quinn’s office said. That sentence will run consecutively to a 19- to 20-year state prison sentence that Keith began serving last year after being convicted of similar cold case rape from the 1990s in Plymouth and Norfolk counties.

This means that in total, Keith will serve 44 to 50 years in prison.

[...]

In February 2019, Bristol County investigators provided DNA evidence collected from the unsolved Bristol County cases to a private lab for genealogical testing. That led to a genetic genealogy link between Keith and a particular family, Quinn’s office said.

From there, investigators were able to pinpoint Ivan Keith as the chief suspect. It turned out that Keith was convicted of several sex-related crimes in Plymouth County in the 1980s and 1990s and also had a sex crime conviction in Maine in 2000. But, Keith had never registered as a sex offender and did not provide a DNA sample to the state.

‘Nothing short of pure evil;’ Ivan Keith to spend decades in prison for rapes in 1990s

The identity of Valentine Sally had been solved using DNA. There is a thread here at websleuths for her. Cocino County AZ Jane doe.
I gotchu! ;)

Valentine Sally was just identified as 17 year old Carolyn Eaton, a runaway from St. Louis, Missouri.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-n...-valentine-sally-found-near-flagstaff-in-1982

Detectives worked through the decades to identify the body with no success, until recently when a grant from National Center for Missing and Exploited Children helped Coconino County Sheriff's Office conduct tests through a private vendor.

The grant allowed officials to complete a familial DNA search to try to locate relatives of "Valentine Sally," and it was discovered that the DNA matched members of a family in Missouri.

Detectives flew to the St. Louis-area family and interviewed them, learning that they had a sibling, 17-year-old Carolyn Eaton, who had run away from home around Christmas in 1981.

The true identity of "Valentine Sally" is now confirmed to be that of the runaway teenager.

Other sources:
Identity of 'Valentine Sally' confirmed, solving 4-decade-old Arizona mystery

'Valentine Sally' body identified as Carolyn Eaton after 40 years

Carolyn Eaton's WS thread as Valentine Sally:
Identified! - AZ - Coconino Co., 'Valentine Sally' WhtFem 585UFAZ, 14-19, along I-40, Feb'82 -Carolyn Eaton

DavidAnderson.jpg

David Dwayne Anderson and Sylvia Quayle are seen in images released by the Cherry Hills Village, Colo. Police Department

Colorado authorities have arrested a now-62-year-old man in a cold case murder.

Officials announced Thursday that David Dwayne Anderson, of Cozad, Neb., is accused of killing then-34-year-old Sylvia Quayle in Cherry Hills Village, Colo., a wealthy suburb south of Denver, on Aug. 4, 1981.

[...]

United Data Connect uploaded sequenced DNA from the crime scene to two websites: Family Tree DNA and GEDmatch.

“This tree that we used had over 3,300 people, so it was extensive background work,” Morrissey said. “A cousin or sorts” cooperated and authorities and provided his or her DNA to help narrow down the list of suspects; that cooperation “eliminated an entire line of people” in the string of individuals connected to the DNA police recovered from the scene.

[...]

After narrowing down the list of suspects and focusing on Anderson, authorities went dumpster diving. They surveilled Anderson at his rural Nebraska apartment in Cozad, a town on interstate highways leading directly to Denver, and dug through bags of trash in a nearby dumpster. Several bags contained bills addressed to Anderson. They knew those bags must be his.

The most promising items for DNA collection inside those trash cans included a can of Vanilla Coke, a water bottle, a bottle of rum, and a bottle of beer. The can of soda was enough.

DNA recovered from the can of Vanilla Coke matched “multiple items of evidence recovered from Sylvia Quayle’s body and residence,” the court documents say.

United Data Connect also uncovered documentation which places Anderson in Colorado locations near the murder scene both before and after the killing.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/four-...2-year-old-suspect-in-brutal-colorado-murder/

Press conference:

Probable cause affidavit (I haven't read it yet, but Law and Crime have put a GRAPHIC WARNING advisory on it):

https://www.scribd.com/document/496...e-Murder?secret_password=dwzAZBNJ1pXPujNAC4lD

Last edited:
The body of Lori Nesson, an honors student at Columbus’ Eastmoor High School, was found on Sept. 28, 1974, a day after she had last been seen at a football game. But investigators were never able to find her killers and the case eventually went cold.

Investigators have now determined that the two men who were responsible for Nesson’s death were the same men convicted of assaulting and murdering a 17-year-old Whitehall girl a year later in the Blacklick area.

Those men — Charles Webber and of Columbus, Robert W. Meyer of Cincinnati — both dead. Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost and Reynoldsburg Division of Police Chief Curtis Baker announced the news on Wednesday.

“Families deserve answers, even when years have passed since they lost their loved ones,” Yost said in a written statement. “This case was solved by pure determination by investigators, the application of modern DNA technology to a decades-old case and a well-timed tip from the public that proved to be true.”

At the urging of Nesson’s family, the Reynoldsburg Division of Police took a new look at the cold case in August 2019. Additionally, the Franklin County Coroner’s Office re-evaluated the original autopsy.

Late last year, a viewer who watched a WBNS-TV (Channel 10) news report about the cold case tipped off police that Nesson’s death had similarities to the case of Karen Adams, a 17-year-old Whitehall girl found assaulted and murdered in 1975 in Blacklick.

A new forensic evaluation of the physical evidence available enabled BCI investigators to develop DNA profiles that revealed Meyer and Webber were Nesson’s assailants.

Both men have extensive criminal histories, authorities say.

Meyer was convicted of murder in 1963 and spent 10 years in the Ohio Penitentiary, where he met Webber, a fellow inmate.

Both were freed in the early 1970s and are now known to be responsible for the deaths of Nesson and Adams, along with the kidnapping, assault and attempted murder of two additional young women in northwest Ohio. In 1977, the pair was convicted of those crimes and incarcerated.

“I appreciate our relationship with the agencies that worked cooperatively to solve this case,” Chief Baker said in a statement. “We are honored to be able to give Lori Nesson’s family and friends the answers they deserved long ago.”
Forensic evidence helps investigators solve 1974 murder of 15-year-old girl in Reynoldsburg - The Lima News

When this happened in 1974, this didn't just happen to me and my mom,” Toni Hastings, Nesson’s younger sister, said. “This totally changed everything for all of us. All my sister’s friends, my friends, me, my family, things we used to do.”

Reynoldsburg police say Nesson’s naked body was found in a ditch on Rosehill Road, but her clothes were scattered across several miles.

Constrained by the technology available at the time, the case grew cold.

In August 2019, the Reynoldsburg Division of Police took a new look at the case at the urging of Nesson’s family.

Officer Craig Brafford works third shift patrol but picked up the case because his daughter at the time was also 15, Nesson's same age.

“Nowhere in the stretches of my imagination can I imagine the pain and the anguish that you know Toni the rest of Nesson's family and friends went through over that 46 years,” Brafford said.

Officer Brafford says the more he looked into the files, the more inconsistencies he found.

“Pictures that, you know, at the autopsy showed some cuts on her lip…things that would indicate foul play,” he said.

Brafford also says the time of death on Nesson's autopsy didn’t match up to when the teen was last seen.

In 2020, Brafford took his findings to the Franklin County Coroner who agreed to review the case. Several months later, the coroner’s office changed Nesson’s cause of death to "undetermined homicidal violence."

Then in December, 10TV aired the updated information on Nesson’s case.

After the story aired, Sgt. Jim Costlow said a person called in with information that night.

“She was a cousin of Karen Adams and said the news story she saw about Lori’s homicide was really similar to her cousin’s homicide,” he said.
Viewer tip helps solve 46-year-old cold case in Reynoldsburg | 10tv.com

Last edited:
If Phillips is found guilty, Crime Stoppers will have solved eight cases, including six murders, in 15 months using genetic genealogy.

With this solved there would also be only one unsolved murder within Park County, down from four in 2019. The remaining unsolved murder is that of 17-year-old Maggie Long, who was killed in her Bailey home in 2017.
Colorado man arrested for 1982 cold case killings of 2 women near Breckenridge

CO - CO - Bobbie Oberholtzer, 29, & Annette Schnee, 21, Breckenridge, 3 July 1982

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evil.unmasked
Back