Do you like the new format for WS?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, La Louve.

This is what is on each page (after last post) on my iPad. Sometimes both left and right sides are the video of the bike rider. The video is VERY annoying! Being on an iPad, I don't know how to give any more info that might be helpful to our tech guy.

Those are what I am getting and they often include video with AUDIO for cripe sakes, so it starts shouting at you while trying to view WS. It makes it laggy almost un-useable. Its even worse when the stupid thing is playing audio at you while you are trying to view embedded video and the two audio streams clash. This really sucks!!!! I care less about static graphic advertising but multi-media has no place here.

Yes, La Louve.

This is what is on each page (after last post) on my iPad. Sometimes both left and right sides are the video of the bike rider. The video is VERY annoying! Being on an iPad, I don't know how to give any more info that might be helpful to our tech guy.

Thanks for validating that.

Just fyi for the tech guy, I am on an HP Envy laptop running Windows 8.1.

FYI: I alerted mods about the video ads and hope it gets fixed.

FYI: I alerted mods about the video ads and hope it gets fixed.

Thanks for reporting. For the record, I get them too, but the sound doesn't come on unless I click the ad...I tested it. I'm on an iPad.

It is my understanding that no videos should have audio unless you move your mouse over the ad. Let me get this to Dave ASAP and see what he can do.

For some reason iPads and vBulletin forums do not mix well. I'll talk to the CEO of Apple and see what he can do. Okay, that's a lie but it felt good to type it. LOL

Yes, La Louve.

Prairie_Dog this should not happen. We are on it.

Those are what I am getting and they often include video with AUDIO for cripe sakes, so it starts shouting at you while trying to view WS. It makes it laggy almost un-useable. Its even worse when the stupid thing is playing audio at you while you are trying to view embedded video and the two audio streams clash. This really sucks!!!! I care less about static graphic advertising but multi-media has no place here.

Thanks Tricia! I have not had the audio problem, since I usually keep my volume turned off. Sometimes you are sooo funny! Apple CEO, yeah -- Wouldn't that be great?

I see Dave has been here, most likely checking it out now. THANKS DAVE! (Just an FYI, it is not just this one thread, the ads are on all pages)

I am on a PC using Google Chrome.

Pages load fine but when I try to type a reply, the site freezes up. in the Quick Reply box.

It took me forever to type this. It said something about Shockwave Flash crashed but it still is sluggish.

I had that exact same problem yesterday. It's very weird. I’m using Safari on a Mac. My computer is old, so I thought it was probably a problem with my operating system. But it seemed to only be happening on this site. Even after I did some maintenance on my Mac, it was still freezing a little bit when replying.

New format is fine, not a fan of the sensationalized wording of Tim Bosma's "incinerator death" headline. He was shot. The wording makes it sound like he died in an incinerator. I'm all for justice and visibility for Tim's case, but that goes a little too far. JMO

It is my understanding that no videos should have audio unless you move your mouse over the ad. Let me get this to Dave ASAP and see what he can do.

For some reason iPads and vBulletin forums do not mix well. I'll talk to the CEO of Apple and see what he can do. Okay, that's a lie but it felt good to type it. LOL
BBM

You can do it, Tricia. I know you can! See, here's what you do. Invite Tim Cook to be on your radio show to discuss the showdown he had with the government over accessing the iPhones of the San Bernardino terrorists. It would be fascinating for sleuthers. Be your usual friendly self and when he's all relaxed and comfy you slip in a question about iPads and vBulletin and get him to fix it. He won't be able to resist. You've got this! :D

I've been having the same shockwave issues too. It says that shockwave has crashed and the site is SO slow. No issues anywhere else online.

I've been having the same shockwave issues too. It says that shockwave has crashed and the site is SO slow. No issues anywhere else online.

Thank you! I thought it was just me, but the Shockwave problem is a huge problem for me here and no other site on the internet. I did troubleshoot it and it's not on my end.

Is the shockwave related to the videos that stream in the ads? Perhaps choose ads that are not video-related??

BBM

You can do it, Tricia. I know you can! See, here's what you do. Invite Tim Cook to be on your radio show to discuss the showdown he had with the government over accessing the iPhones of the San Bernardino terrorists. It would be fascinating for sleuthers. Be your usual friendly self and when he's all relaxed and comfy you slip in a question about iPads and vBulletin and get him to fix it. He won't be able to resist. You've got this! :D

THAT'S IT. THANK YOU. Now if I can just get to his person person's person I might be able to pull this off. heh

Hi Prairie_dawg,

All of the ads on Websleuths are IAB approved. IAB is an agency that keeps an eye on all things advertising on the Internet. Running ads that are IAB approved means we do not allow ads on Websleuths where the audio comes on automatically when the ad is running.

What happens is if you just put your mouse over the ad the audio comes on. Move your mouse off the ad and the audio stops.

Many times I have accidently had my mouse on a video and all of a sudden the audio starts blaring. Just move the mouse off and you will be fine.

The only other way to get audio is if you actually click on the ad.

However, anything is possible and every once in a while a bad ad gets through.

If you experience this again and your mouse is not on the ad by accident or you haven't clicked on the ad by accident please email me websleuthscomments@gmail.com and let me know the name of the ad and whether it is on the top, middle, or bottom of the page.

Thank you.

Okay. The Shockwave issue.

My guess is you are using Chrome correct?

Disclaimer: Websleuths is not responsible for personal computer issues. What I am about to tell you concerning the shockwave issue worked for me. If you decide to try it then it is at your own risk. I'm not saying the instructions I am going to give you will cause you problems. I just don't know so that's why I have this disclaimer.

To fix the Shockwave issue, remember I am using Chrome, type in your address bar chrome://flags

This will take you to a page that has all kinds of descriptions. When you land on that page click on the three bars in the upper right-hand corner of your Chrome Browser. Scroll down and click on Find. In the Find box type Webgl

This should take you to a highlighted "webgl" paragraph. It looks like this:

WebGL Draft Extensions
Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, AndroidEnabling this option allows web applications to access the WebGL Extensions that are still in draft status. #enable-webgl-draft-extensions

Disable

You'll see in blue either "enable" or "disable". If you have a blue "enable" click on it so it changes to "disable" . If it already says "disable" then don't do anything.

This should stop the shock wave issue. I have no idea how it works but it does.

Dave gets the credit for making it look like I know what I am talking about concerning this issue. Thank you Dave.

Thank you! I thought it was just me, but the Shockwave problem is a huge problem for me here and no other site on the internet. I did troubleshoot it and it's not on my end.

Is the shockwave related to the videos that stream in the ads? Perhaps choose ads that are not video-related??

Thanks Tricia, I had to disable so we'll see if it works!

This is new for me today: this is a test for prebid.org

It is appearing on both sides of the screen, just below the "sticky" posts on each page. There is no ad there; just the text.

It is appearing on both sides of the screen, just below the "sticky" posts on each page. There is no ad there; just the text.

i see that too

I think I started seeing that "test for prebid.org" yesterday or the day before. I didn't think much of it because at least it's not an ad! :) The one I see on this thread right now is opposite one of the square ads in the place another one would usually be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l