Do you like the new format for WS?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you aren't signed in the first post of each page is one word per line using Chrome. Those posts are a mile long and all posts are only about 1/3 of the page wide. Signed in each post is the width of my monitor, which I really like. Color? Hot cases at the top? eh...

I love it. There's a lot more contrast and larger print. Easier on the eyes!

no, i do not like the new format. All it does for me is make scrolling down, past it, longer. Those "headlines" are meaningless to me. Waste of time and space, but we all know it will stay. What more is there to say?

i totally agree with you, trident

I find it easier on the eyes. I can find everything I need as I did before. I like the color of the login/profile/notification buttons.

One criticism is the Amber Alert/ News scroll at the top. I am all for an Amber Alert scroll but the current Ammerman ticker is tough because every time I see it I think some new arrests have been made. I would suggest making that a Amber Alert and Important New Updated information rather than just hitting a "hot" thread's headline.

One other issue is the ads that I am getting.... I can't get rid of the Tampax ad to save my life. Thoughts would be appreciated.

The changes are pretty easy to adjust to - I'm not noticing anything drastically different. It works well for me on my laptop.

I will say, however, that I'm not fond of the *HOT!* label in front of thread links at the top of the page. The cases we discuss are usually serious cases and we are victim-friendly, and to label them *HOT!* seems sensational and tabloid-like. The placement of the links at the top of the page is enough to label them as popular topics without the additional call-out. That's not a complaint, more of a suggestion to consider.

THANK YOU to our webmaster who keep this place running! Your time and work is much appreciated!

I agree with this 100%; it's the very first thing I noticed. For a victim-friendly website, I don't think it's in very good taste to call some of these cases "hot." I know that if I were a family member of a victim and came on here, that would really upset me. I don't mean to complain or be negative either, just a friendly suggestion for my favorite website.

Other than that, I think it looks great.

jmo

Agree with the 'hot' being used for cases.

I'm not a big fan of so many things being underlined now, links, usernames etc.. It makes it rather busy and it takes away from the 'flow' of posts a bit IMO.

Also wish we could adjust the font ourselves. The letters in the new font are spaced closer together which for me makes it harder to read. Others are saying it's easier to read. I have no idea what it would involve to add a 'choose your own font' option but I think that would help a lot. I wasn't really going to say anything but I've only been reading for 15 minutes and I'm getting a headache from straining my eyes...

Every change takes some adjustment though and hopefully it's just that for me.

I'm an old dog, lol! I can learn new tricks; it just takes me longer! I have protested each and every time the format and or colors have changed, then get used to it and everything is fine.

I do like the blue rather than the gray, though. Another thing is the Amber Alert scrolls across other print so that I cannot read it.

Before we know it we will so so used to this format we will forget what it used to look like, IMO. I'm just appreciative there is a WS! Don't know what I'd do without it, so thank you to everyone who works so hard to bring it to us!

No, I do not like the new format. All it does for me is make scrolling down, past it, longer. Those "headlines" are meaningless to me. Waste of time and space, but we all know it will stay. What more is there to say?

My thoughts exactly! It's god awful and the white hurts my eyes. Just more crap to scroll around. It's getting harder and harder to utilize WS. :(

The white is hard on my eyes to..and the print is small. I had my browser settings set in such a way, that before the changes I could read everything very easily.

I love websluthes and what it stands for, don't get me wrong..but I think I will have to read other forums that are friendlier on my eyes..

unless of course, the mods allow us a way to choose what we formats we like to use? some websites allow you to do that, that way everyone is happy

Ditto and it is killing my 50 yr old eyes.

Just an FYI. Posting a copy of Tricia's message (in case it should ever disappear). I started this thread to chat about the features, but if anyone is having TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES (like the quick access function not working, which has been passed on to them) this is where you need to make sure to send that:

Attention Websleuths Members and Visitors
You see we have changed our look a bit
If you are having technical issues with the new look please email websleuthscomments@gmail.com
You will find the new look much easier to read and to navigate

ditto on the white being hard on the eyes. Please please bring back the grey, everything else is fine, but the white is really tough.

I agree, am not liking the white. The font isn't bad for me.
Having issues with quick reply not working when I go up a few posts. Right click "reply with quote" thankfully works. I'm on firefox on a Mac

I would love it if the names thanking the posts could appear in a bit larger font. This morning I woke up with several WS pages open, and as I refreshed the pages, the new could compare itself with the old. Before, the font for the "thanks" appeared to be quite a bit larger.

I always really focus on the thanks, for some reason...I guess easily being able to glance at who is "thanking" gives me the idea that I am following the trains of thought of others, which makes the whole thing more interesting.

Me too. I wish they were larger and not underlined. I like going back to look at who and which of my posts are getting liked. What I recently learned is that on my cell browser I'm on WS mobile where I'm not seeing a thank option, so I wonder how many others aren't thanking posts due to that. For some reason I'm not able to switch back to full forum so I try to go back on my computer to thank posts but don't get to all of the time.

I guess I didn't realize how dependent I was on that silly quick links tab. Lol.
It is pretty annoying. I can't find my subscribed threads and don't have the patience to search for them.
Having same issue on my phone.
Beach said she will let the tech guy know. Hoping it gets fixed soon.

If you click "settings" your subscriptions will show up. That's how I always do it, as I never knew the quick links were so handy! :doh:

Seeing the headlines when I first log in is okay, but then wish they would be gone after that - adds annoying extra scrolling down on every page I go to...:gaah:

Too much going on...that's why I stick to Tapatalk[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do love the new format. I like the way the posts stretch across the entire page. I see lots of improvements including ad placements not getting in the way. It seems much faster here now.

However, for my old eyes, I think the text print is too small. I can enlarge my screen, but it doesn't show the entire post box then. I wonder if the font isn't a bit wimpy with not enough contrast. Even though I'm often using a huge desktop monitor, I'm still squinting.

Everyone is using different devices, so I can only speak for myself. I'd like a softer background color, larger print size, and a darker contrast in the font.

And yet...I do love the new format. :smile:

Generally liking it, everything seems to be in the same place so not struggling with navigating around.

However - the white is very bright, I can feel myself squinting as soon as I look at it. Perhaps there's a way to personalise that (I don't really want to have to turn down brightness on my tablet/laptop just for this page)

Also agree on the HOT! thing - particular when one of the top HOT! stories is about an incinerator death.

(
I agree, am not liking the white. The font isn't bad for me.
Having issues with quick reply not working when I go up a few posts. Right click "reply with quote" thankfully works. I'm on firefox on a Mac

Me too. I wish they were larger and not underlined. I like going back to look at who and which of my posts are getting liked. What I recently learned is that on my cell browser I'm on WS mobile where I'm not seeing a thank option, so I wonder how many others aren't thanking posts due to that. For some reason I'm not able to switch back to full forum so I try to go back on my computer to thank posts but don't get to all of the time.

I'm still seeing the option to choose between mobile or regular desktop. If you want to switch back on the lower left choose the option that has 2015 in it.

hth

I hate to be negative, but since you asked, I don't really like it. I'm on an iPad, so that may make a difference. Scrolling past the headlines every time I move to the next page of a thread is a drag. The background white is too bright for my sensitive eyes and the print is too small because I can no longer enlarge the page to make the print bigger. Except for the forum list, the page now fills the whole screen because there are no ads down the side. I tried darkening the page to cut the bright white glare, but that doesn't help and makes it harder to read the small print. I'm sorry, Tricia, but this just isn't working for my 70 year old eyes!

Thanks for posting this as I couldn't figure out what it was that was bothering my eyes. Now I can tell it is the bright white. Also everything is crowed to the left and seems so jumbled together.

But the brightness bothers me the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member