Does Skyline school bear any responsibility?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, Ive read this whole thread before offering my two cents. I do feel that the school is partially responsible. At this time, we cannot prove who took Kyron, or when he was taken. If it was TH, what makes the school any less responsible because she was known to the child?! If it was a stranger abduction, how is that worse than a parental or family abduction? To me, the whole issue should have come to light when phone calls go out to the parents regarding his absence. EVERY school should have that policy in place. Think of how many abused and neglected children we read about, that could have been noticed sooner, if daily attendence calls were made. And these calls cannot be automated, they need to actually reach a human being. If parents cannot be reached, go to the next on the list, right on down until you get a human on the phone. Just imagine if someone called you about your neice or nephew 3 days in a row, and you hadn't heard from your sis, you'd be worried enough to check up wouldnt you?
In this case, without the proper signed note, and paperwork, the child should not have been allowed to leave for the mystery Dr.s appointment. Period. Thats the policy they have in place, and it needs to be followed, every day, not just some days or regular days, or non science fair days. The problem here is that we do not know if the teacher was even told of the dr appointment for certain, AND noone saw Kyron leave apparently. How the hello does that even happen? NONE of the security measures in place were followed, and they weren't strong enough or proactive enough even if they were followed.
Im thankful to send my children to a small rural school. Our security is lax though. Im glad we have small classes, and everyone knows everyone. There are about 150 students K-12. There are no sign in sign out procedures, but there are absentee calls. The children are mostly bused, but we do have walkers, my children included. Teachers line up outside down the front walkway to greet the students every morning, and the same at dismissal. Its organized chaos for sure. There are no cameras, no security gaurds, no buzzer, and multiple doors to enter and exit. It would be easy to misplace a child, BUT! there are absentee calls, and they keep calling until they reach you or someone on the list. I think that is the biggest issue with the security at skyline truly, if only they had made the calls, Kyrons absence would have been known so much sooner, and it would have been much easier to find the truth in his disappearance.

I think the issue in this case is apparently TH told the teacher she would be taking Kyron *before* the start of school. As far as the teacher knew, he was in the care of his parent and left with her prior to the beginning of the school day. Since he was not ever given over into the care and responsibility of the school that day, there would be no need for signing him out of school. And there would be no need to call home to report his absence, since he was known to be with his parent. (This is all based on the assumption that TH did, indeed, tell the teacher they would be going to the doctor's appt., which of course is not known for certain at this point, though it has been reported.)

Otherwise, I totally agree with you that trying to call a parent much earlier in the day would have made it easier to find out what happened to Kyron.

All JMO.

2/3 blend? There are a lot of those in the PPS system.

Yes, I had understood that there was a set-up like that at Skyline, because that was the explanation for his "deskmate" being older than him.

I was really commenting on the implication that there seems to be no issue, as far as the school is concerned, with this teacher's competence or her trustworthiness.

JMO

Early on, it was reported that in spite of their security policies, such measures were placed to the side because of the size of the event and the number of people attending. That is THE most ridiculous excuse imaginable. That's exactly when they would need the added layer of security. So I have to say, regardless who is at fault for whatever happened to Kyron, the school bears some responsibility.

Kaine Horman bought Kyron, who has been missing since June 4, a new Iron Man backpack, and had it sitting by his son's bedroom door this morning with his soccer gear.

Kyron, who would be starting third grade, remains enrolled at the elementary school, but there was no drop-off at school this morning.

"It's just, it's really a hard day to get up, and not do the school thing after eight years," Kaine Horman said, noting his son has either been in day care, pre-school or public school. His eighth birthday is Thursday.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/kyron_horman_wall_of_hope_move.html

:(

Skyline School changes security policy.
http://www.kgw.com/news/kyron-horman...102148389.html

Next week, Skyline School will begin locking side doors. Previously, they'd been unlocked. Only the front door and ADA access door in the back of the school will be open during the school day.

And from the handbook which was in use in June, 2010:

Building Security
All parents, visitors and volunteers are required to checkin at the office prior to entering any other portion of the building. Identification tags are to be worn by all adults in the building during school hours. For security purposes, only the main entrance and East door will be unlocked during school hours. All other doors will be locked or monitored, as required by our district’s security policy.

No matter how this turned out, no matter who took Kyron, the doors were open for anyone to come in and to go out. Unless they were monitored...

Skyline School changes security policy.
http://www.kgw.com/news/kyron-horman...102148389.html

Next week, Skyline School will begin locking side doors. Previously, they'd been unlocked. Only the front door and ADA access door in the back of the school will be open during the school day.

And from the handbook which was in use in June, 2010:

Building Security
All parents, visitors and volunteers are required to checkin at the office prior to entering any other portion of the building. Identification tags are to be worn by all adults in the building during school hours. For security purposes, only the main entrance and East door will be unlocked during school hours. All other doors will be locked or monitored, as required by our district’s security policy.

No matter how this turned out, no matter who took Kyron, the doors were open for anyone to come in and to go out. Unless they were monitored...

I would guess, just as they neglected to follow their own security policy, they probably had the doors unlocked as well to make things "easier" that day.

I would guess, just as they neglected to follow their own security policy, they probably had the doors unlocked as well to make things "easier" that day.

And if the belief is that Terri, a volunteer with the school, knew the school's policies, layout, and vulnerabilities, then so did every person who spent any extended amount of time at the school including teachers, faculty members, maintenance workers, landscapers, etc.

Side view with some of the parking lot.

-d98837050318a3ef_custom_665xauto.jpg

It would be sooo easy to walk a child out of that school and put him into a waiting vehicle. So easy. If she parked right there by the end of the building, no one would see him once he was out of the building and hook the corner to the truck. Too easy.

I think they have admitted that the school was not operating in as safe a manner as possible, by changing a number of procedures, implementing new policies, etc. So in away, they have quietly acknowledged some fault, without taking responsibility.

I am not sure that Kyron's removal from school could have been prevented, no matter what the procedures were. I hate that the school did not have cameras at the exits-again, not a prevention but at least a clue. Probably someone would have been arrested for kidnapping by now, if Kyron was seen exiting with an adult and it is possible that the person would have confessed, with such evidence.

If it turns out not to be Terri to have taken Kyron...then absolutely the school is liable. If Terri, then less so, but to me, not completely absolved.

It would be sooo easy to walk a child out of that school and put him into a waiting vehicle. So easy. If she parked right there by the end of the building, no one would see him once he was out of the building and hook the corner to the truck. Too easy.

The only thing is that I *think* that is where the buses park. Let me check with our immediate locals on that though.

Unless you want to run a school like a prison camp, you are always going to have openings that allow a determined person to succeed (in whatever crime against a child). It's the perpetrator that is responsible. Does the school need to learn from this? Certainly. Install cameras, etc.

Unfortunately, in many cases, defense against these evil people is going to be reactive. It's unavoidable.

MOOOOOOO

The only thing is that I *think* that is where the buses park. Let me check with our immediate locals on that though.

The buses used to park there until there was an accident with a parked car, so they changed things so that the buses park in the back. I'll look for the link.

The buses used to park there until there was an accident with a parked car, so they changed things so that the buses park in the back. I'll look for the link.

Oh yes, please! I don't think I've seen that link before?

Well that would help the case if she had indeed signed Kyron out. At the very least LE would KNOW who he left with, and at what time he had left!

If TH had had to sign Kyron out of school, he would not be missing. There aren't many people who plan to make a child disappear who are dumb enough to do that -- so I think that, if TH is involved, she is not that dumb.

Oh yes, please! I don't think I've seen that link before?

The link is no longer working. The information was in the Jan 12, 2009 issue of Skyline's newsletter. Here's a link to the original post about it.
Maybe somebody has that pdf saved or we can find it cached somewhere.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5316676&postcount=260"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - How to get yourself & a child out of the school and into a vehicle?[/ame]

The link is no longer working. The information was in the Jan 12, 2009 issue of Skyline's newsletter "The Wave." Here's a link to the original post about it.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - How to get yourself & a child out of the school and into a vehicle?

Okay! When I was there, it was still painted on the side for buses only! Thanks for letting us know! Then it would be very easy to get a child in the car there without being noticed.

The link is no longer working. The information was in the Jan 12, 2009 issue of Skyline's newsletter "The Wave." Here's a link to the original post about it.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - How to get yourself & a child out of the school and into a vehicle?

I remember a picture posted with all the buses in line waiting for students - please don't ask me where I saw it! lol And I don't remember where they were lined up, back or side. sorry...maybe BeanE knows. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech