• No, they are not safe

Votes: 93 12.9%
  • No, I have a health issue that doesn't allow it

Votes: 21 2.9%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 55 7.6%

• Total voters
Interesting turn of events

The 2014 - 2015 flu vaccine was a failure , as reported by mainstream media , and backed by hospital visit statistics

I had saved many of those links and now the internet has been scrubbed clean.

And they have already voted to do it all again in 2015 - 2016

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

It is a 50 billion dollar industry that needs to be preserved I guess

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...s-became-big-business/article572731/?page=all

It's never been a secret that flu shots are not guaranteed to work. Every year there is media coverage about what strains of the flu virus have been determined to be most likely to be prevalent, and how the vaccine is formulated. When the vaccine is administered, people are provided with info about the effectiveness of the vaccine.

There's no question that there's money to be made, but there's also no question that the vaccine DOES save lives. It's not a conspiracy theory. In Oct 2012 I took a vacation with my daughters. I had gotten a flu shot because it was required by my employer. I had not gotten them vaccinated, and the day we left my older daughter developed flu symptoms. Then a couple days later my younger daughter developed the same symptoms. I was enclosed in a vehicle with them for approximately 30 hours over those several days, and didn't get sick. Apparently whatever strain of virus they got was in the vaccine that year and I got lucky.

I believe for the most part flu shots work as intended. They eliminate or reduce the severity of anticipated strains. Some years there is a strain or two that was not predicted and those are troublesome years if the vaccines are not formulated for the unpredicted strains. I get a flu shot every year and never get the flu except one year when I got it three times. Doctor said that was a problem year for unanticipated strains.

Flu shots may help not just the persons who get the vaccine but the entire community they live in. It is called "community immunity" when vaccinated citizens afford protection to those who do not or cannot receive vaccination. It has to do with reduction of infection, which serves the purpose of not allowing flu to take hold in a community. So, even if you don't like or don't believe in, or don't want to pay for a flu shot, it would probably be better for everyone if you would just go ahead and do it. It may keep you well and at the same time help protect other citizens in your community, maybe one or more who might not be able to tolerate the vaccine for whatever reason. It is an unselfish thing to do, it's very easy to do, and these days most vaccines are covered by insurance.

Um, yeah they can. They are finding genetic defects in utero, like the degrading egg quality of older mothers. A good friend of mine whose daughter is autistic, had her at age 44. It's pure coincidence that it manifests at the age when language should be developing normally, which is around the age when they get the DTap shot.

Biochemist here with experience in public health (and a healthily skeptical mind). I had to chime in purely to applaud you for the last sentence you wrote—correlation does not equal causation, something the anti-vax movement fails to remember all too often!

I believe for the most part flu shots work as intended. They eliminate or reduce the severity of anticipated strains. Some years there is a strain or two that was not predicted and those are troublesome years if the vaccines are not formulated for the unpredicted strains. I get a flu shot every year and never get the flu except one year when I got it three times. Doctor said that was a problem year for unanticipated strains.

Flu shots may help not just the persons who get the vaccine but the entire community they live in. It is called "community immunity" when vaccinated citizens afford protection to those who do not or cannot receive vaccination. It has to do with reduction of infection, which serves the purpose of not allowing flu to take hold in a community. So, even if you don't like or don't believe in, or don't want to pay for a flu shot, it would probably be better for everyone if you would just go ahead and do it. It may keep you well and at the same time help protect other citizens in your community, maybe one or more who might not be able to tolerate the vaccine for whatever reason. It is an unselfish thing to do, it's very easy to do, and these days most vaccines are covered by insurance.

Agreed. The flu vaccination is different than other vaccinations because (as you said) they work for anticipated strains. Unfortunately there are so many mutations and strains that anticipating for this illness is harder than anticipating strains for others. Not a perfect system, but effective enough.

Vaccinations are about community/"herd" immunity as you said. On top of preventing the disease from taking hold in the community, it helps slow the creation of further strains. Less infections=less chances of mutations in the virus=greater opportunity to isolate dangerous strains and stop them in their tracks if everyone gets vaccinated.

People seem less passionate about the flu vaccination then they do about others for a lot of reasons, partially because "the flu" is now a term used colloquially to refer to anything from the common cold to actual influenza. The real flu is horrible and deadly and I wish more people would keep that in mind. The fact is that babies too young to be vaccinated and immunocompromised members of the community who cannot receive vaccinations still need to be protected from an illness that has caused horrible causalities throughout history.

Kudos for a wonderful post.

Whenever I can manage to get one free at work or at the doc's...I will. Never caught the flu since I've had it.

However, for about 20 years I didn't have a shot. Never caught the flu then either.

People have gotten the flu shot and still later died from complications from the flu. But that's rare. IMO, it's more important with the elderly and the young. But getting one doesn't hurt and I don't pass them up typically anymore.

Well, I already got mine for this season. [emoji12]

If it's covered, I'd recommend the quad flu shot for better coverage, and of course the high dose shot for those 65+

I still feel it's important for the very young and very old...but folks in between, YMMV. :shrug:

Tamiflu is already starting to move also...

Got my flu shot yesterday. I have gotten one the last five or six years. So far I have been protected with no flu. I do take extra precautions during flu season. I NEVER touch my hands to my face unless they are washed. That caution is from Mayo Clinic and Dr. OZ.

I wear gloves and use the wipes provided by the front doors at stores on shopping carts.

I keep those cleaning wipes in my car and after exiting any shopping I wipe my hands. I use only regular soap to clean my hands at home. Never that germ stuff.

I am NOT a germaphobe but I do pay special attention during the season.

Whenever I can manage to get one free at work or at the doc's...I will. Never caught the flu since I've had it.

However, for about 20 years I didn't have a shot. Never caught the flu then either.

People have gotten the flu shot and still later died from complications from the flu. But that's rare. IMO, it's more important with the elderly and the young. But getting one doesn't hurt and I don't pass them up typically anymore.

The flu vaccine doesn't cover every strain of flu out there. It works for the strains it covers. This year I heard a better way of anticipating the viruses that will be most widespread, has been developed.

This year we won't wait 'till January to get them. We'll get them out of the way in the Fall- in the next 2 weeks. I'll get mine at the Flu clinic next weekend, and DD will see the new doctor in 2 weeks. She's pushing for us to get them now, and that way I know DD should have coverage in the Spring when she goes to Ireland.

Got my flu shot yesterday. I have gotten one the last five or six years. So far I have been protected with no flu. I do take extra precautions during flu season. I NEVER touch my hands to my face unless they are washed. That caution is from Mayo Clinic and Dr. OZ.

I wear gloves and use the wipes provided by the front doors at stores on shopping carts.

I keep those cleaning wipes in my car and after exiting any shopping I wipe my hands. I use only regular soap to clean my hands at home. Never that germ stuff.

I am NOT a germaphobe but I do pay special attention during the season.

You nailed it !!! .... flu or colds would not spread very far if everybody did that. I keep a dispenser of alcohol based hand sanitizer in my car and use it after I go shopping and before I touch face or steering wheels even . (I am a smoker and always touching my face)

Hate to say it but most people are CLUELESS when it comes to how germs spread ... or how to prevent it , often because they have never been told .... if the government or medical were to constantly educate the public would sure make a difference

But they dont ... they tell everybody to line up like cattle and get a needle. And the people like up like cattle and think they have outsmarted all the germs in the world. Yes they do.

Just in the last few years hospitals have put sanitizer dispensers in the hallways for people to use. Hospitals are always a hotbed of the worst bugs. Touch the handrail or door and then eat a sandwich.

You nailed it !!! .... flu or colds would not spread very far if everybody did that. I keep a dispenser of alcohol based hand sanitizer in my car and use it after I go shopping and before I touch face or steering wheels even . (I am a smoker and always touching my face)

Hate to say it but most people are CLUELESS when it comes to how germs spread ... or how to prevent it , often because they have never been told .... if the government or medical were to constantly educate the public would sure make a difference

But they dont ... they tell everybody to line up like cattle and get a needle. And the people like up like cattle and think they have outsmarted all the germs in the world. Yes they do.

Just in the last few years hospitals have put sanitizer dispensers in the hallways for people to use. Hospitals are always a hotbed of the worst bugs. Touch the handrail or door and then eat a sandwich.

Wrong, education about handwashing is readily available. I taught my daughter when she was a toddler. You still need a flu shot. Getting mine tomorrow!

It's not sheeple to get protected. This year the shot covers the top 4 strains and doesn't have Thimerol (?sp). Handwashing can prevent colds, but if someone coughs or sneezes on you, you won't have protection. Get your shots people!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-48926/Dirty-money-make-sick.html

ICK..............when I go to the bank this week, I'm asking for all new bills:facepalm:.

My daughter,my 9 yr. old grandaughter, myself, did a family outing to Walgreens for the flu shot. But I'm sure she'll bring some sickness home from school.........anything but head lice:gaah:

I got mine a couple of days ago. DD will get hers Fri. So far the only effects are a very sore shoulder (quad variant) and some tiredness.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-48926/Dirty-money-make-sick.html

ICK..............when I go to the bank this week, I'm asking for all new bills:facepalm:.

My daughter,my 9 yr. old grandaughter, myself, did a family outing to Walgreens for the flu shot. But I'm sure she'll bring some sickness home from school.........anything but head lice:gaah:

Well, interestingly enough, last year I was a cashier at Kohl's for two months during the holidays for up to 8 hours/day handling money and the only sickness I got was a cold the week after I stopped working. I did sanitize my register(s) whenever I could.
OTOH, when I worked in nursing homes, I frequently washed my hands and I still got the full-on flu, because an O.T. I worked with handled the same patient chart as me, and she had been exposed to the flu.

I have never had a flu shot and have not had the flu for over 20 years now

What does that prove .... ?? ..... Nothing !!!

It is the new deadly flu strains that are a concern , they pop up every year , but there is no vaccine against them , because nobody can know what the deadly strain will be ahead of time.

It proves you've been lucky.

Three kinds of viruses commonly circulate among people today, according to the Centers for Disease Control: two types of influenza A, H1N1 and H3N2, and influenza B viruses. The CDC said all of the 2015-16 vaccines will protect against those three viruses, and so far, health officials say, they appear to be on target. http://www.contracostatimes.com/

Don't waste your time on flu shots. You don't need them. There are inherent risks with taking any vaccines including the flu vaccine. If you take care of yourself, eat healthy, and give your body what it needs odds are you won't get the flu and if you do your body will fight it off. Do your research folks. Don't be a lemming.

Don't waste your time on flu shots. You don't need them. There are inherent risks with taking any vaccines including the flu vaccine. If you take care of yourself, eat healthy, and give your body what it needs odds are you won't get the flu and if you do your body will fight it off. Do your research folks. Don't be a lemming.
Protecting yourself is NOT being a lemming, it's smart! You do need the flu vaccines because eating healthy and washing your hands will NOT protect you from getting the flu. Taking a week to fight off the flu is no fun. The risks are minimal if you don't have an allergy to eggs or have Guillan-Barre Syndrome.
DD got her Flu Mist yesterday. P.S. (I've done my research- Dr.s Mercola and Wakefield are quacks!!!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eppomoosha
Back