Votes: 143 19.9%
  • No, they are not safe

Votes: 93 12.9%
  • No, I have a health issue that doesn't allow it

Votes: 21 2.9%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 55 7.6%

• Total voters
When you get the full blown flu from not having been vaccinated, you'll be the first in line to get the flu shot! I got the flu shot, and it prevented me from getting it much worse than I had it now. I've also had the full blown flu in the past- the reactions from the shot are nothing in comparison, maybe a sore arm and a little tiredness, nausea for about 1/2 day. With the full blown flu, you can have nausea and vomiting, and high fevers for days on end. I had that and still got called into work!!! This is no pitch to make money by the CDC/pharmacies.

I got the flu for the first time in my life last year. I have never had a flu shot. Didn't get one this year, either, even after having the flu last year. It was fever, chills, aches.... but it wasn't childbirth. I handled it. Heck, I've had some bouts of strep throat in my life that were way worse than the flu. I'll keep skipping the vaccinations. My entire family of 6 rarely gets sick, anyway. Knock on keyboards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Gosh! I am scared of shingles especially since I didn't get chicken pox until I was in my early 20s--and it took me forever to get a correct diagnosis until I went back to my old pediatrician in desperation. Of course, there was nothing to be done but other doctors had diagnosed it as a food allergy, or eczema and here I was running around with a contagious illness and didn't know it! He took one look and diagnosed chicken pox and said the reason it was such a bad case and lasted so long was that I was an adult. I guess you're better off to be a kid when you contract your childhood diseases, especially because no one sympathizes when you whine about how much you itch! :floorlaugh:

Anyway, I felt very ill and worry that shingles would knock me down and out given that I have an auto-immune disorder (rheumatoid-type inflammatory arthritis, not the same as RA except in the pain factor.) But I'm not sure you can get the vaccine unless you are 60+, at least that's the CDC recommendation. I tell you one thing, the ads they use for the shingles vaccine "If you've had chickenpox, the shingles virus is ALREADY INSIDE YOU!" would do a good job of scaring me if I wasn't already.

But I'm with you, CM--better safe than sorry!

When in his 40's DH came up to me and said he wasn't feeling well. I took one look and said "CHICKEN POX"! He had a relatively mild case, but got the shot as soon as it came out.

Do check with your doctor.

That's why the shingles commercial on TV looks so scary, they are trying to scare you in to a vaccine that most don't need

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

That's why the shingles commercial on TV looks so scary, they are trying to scare you in to a vaccine that most don't need

Everyone that's ever had chicken pox have the possibility to get shingles. Which is almost the entire US population in which the vaccine is advised for. So who are the majority that don't need it? Many people suffer from debilitating long lasting pain for the rest of their lives. Chronic pain has a major effect on mental health and quality of life. Up to one-fourth of cases have eye involvement and can lose their vision if not treated fast enough. If you've seen a severe case, which I have seen several in my limited amount of time on rotations so far then I doubt you'd say "most don't need". The herpes zoster virus is already inside of most of the population, so how is that lying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the vaccine long term side effects are unknown, the efficacy is unknown for repeat outbreaks, and the benefits are exagerated. The risk reduction of shingles by getting the vaccine is only 2% or less.

I voted no, and it's not because I think they can't work. But it is a matter of getting a vaccine for the proper strain of flu that you contract. So, basically I think it's up to people to do their own risk assessment. I encourage my mom to get the vaccine every year and she does. I have gotten them in the past, but I haven't for probably the last 5 years.

In my area whooping cough has been affecting people who had the vaccine.

Because the vaccine long term side effects are unknown, the efficacy is unknown for repeat outbreaks, and the benefits are exagerated. The risk reduction of shingles by getting the vaccine is only 2% or less.

Where are you getting your information? The shingles vaccine reduces the contraction of shingles by over 50% and even a higher percentage in younger age groups. Also even in people that still contract shingles after the vaccine it decreases the pain level and decreases the possibility of long lasting debilitating pain.

Well, I voted "yes" flu shot works. I went to stay with my DD a few weeks ago so I could babysit my GD for DD and her husband to go to a holiday party. I went to stay a few days in advance. Glad that I did. DD came home from work on Friday evening feeling really bad. Had runny nose, headache and face pain. She thought she had a sinus infection. She was the one in charge of organizing the big holiday party for her company, so felt she just had to be there on Saturday night. By Saturday morning she decided to go to a CVS 'Minute Clinic'. She was diagnosed with flu by a test for it. Yes, she did have the flu shot in the fall. They gave her Tamiflu and of course she stayed in bed and did not go to the party. I was glad I was there to help with my GD and to take care of my DD too. My SIL did not get the flu shot. GD did have her flu vaccination at start of school year. It has been 4 weeks now and neither of them caught flu (knock on wood). Incidentally one of DD's friends had come for a visit on the Tuesday before DD came down with her symptoms. She also got sick, exact symptoms. She seemed to have it all starting one day before my DD. She went to the 'minute clinic' after talking to my DD and was diagnosed with that flu test and given Tamiflu too. They both were feeling better in about 4 days and I think it was probably because they had the flu shot and their cases were not as severe, along with being started on the Tamiflu in time for it to help.

I, myself, have asthma and a bone disease from having to take massive doses of steroids in prior years for asthma. I do take the flu shot every single year since my first job in 1971, where they paid for us to get it. I sort of strangely I guess, have sort of fond memories of walking from our company in our downtown area, a couple blocks, to the hospital with coworkers to get our flu shots. Guess a weird way to bond with coworkers, LOL. I also was one of the fortunate folks who rushed out and got vaccinated for the Swine Flu and had no adverse reactions from it. Having worked in the medical field (not with direct patient contact) I have just always taken the flu shot, after seeing how ill people get from a full blown case of the flu. Yes, many strains out there.

Oh, and just this week (Thursday) I got my shingles vaccination. So far, no local reaction at the injection site and no other adverse reactions that I have noticed.

I do have to admit the pharmacist at Walgreen's told me "this is a live vaccine' and we need you to stay here for a while before leaving, to be sure you don't have a reaction, did sort of scare me. I have the literature that they gave me, and it definitely says the vaccine is about 50% at preventing shingles but it can prevent you from having such a severe case.

The blanket statements that the "full blown flu" will knock anyone down are simply untrue. It truly depends on the individual. I always believed the same, that the flu would knock me out and I wouldn't be able to move for a week.

I've had the flu now twice in my life, both times confirmed by swab. The first DID knock me down (I actually had gotten vaccinated that year too). The latest on did not (no vax). I thought I had a head/chest cold. A bad head/chest cold, but still, that's all I thought I had. DH had vomiting, DD had severe fever, chills, no appetite, the whole shebang.

So, my opinion has had to change. I don't know whether there is a correlation between my having gotten the vax the first time and not getting the vax the second with the severity of each instance. I do know now, though, that there is no way to tell or predict how a flu is going to affect an individual, nor whether or not getting the vax will prevent, reduce severity, or exacerbate the flu.

I'm still pretty weak w underlying cindition sand they r rearing their ugly heads. This H1N 1 is like no other viri, and yes it will knock u dwn and sideways to hell n back for a total of 3-4 weeks.
I'm not taking that shot no way Jose. I'm not doin the mist. The FDA has changed. I no longer trust thm. This flu tried to kill me and I'm still dealing w that.

I'm still pretty weak w underlying cindition sand they r rearing their ugly heads. This H1N 1 is like no other viri, and yes it will knock u dwn and sideways to hell n back for a total of 3-4 weeks.
I'm not taking that shot no way Jose. I'm not doin the mist. The FDA has changed. I no longer trust thm. This flu tried to kill me and I'm still dealing w that.
Do it once you are completely healed and have your strength back. You never want to go through it that badly again or even worse!

I have never had the flu as an adult but now I have it. Next year, I am getting the shot.
Day 5 and I still feel horrible.

Kensie stay strong and if you have any weird feelings of something isn't right, or you have shortness of breath or any underlying conditions, please just keep a very good eye on your symptoms. You may start to feel better and then get slammed like I did; several times.
I hope you are better soon. It made my hypoglycemia rear it's ugly head....I'm still having issues from being that sick. I have the shakes sometimes even in the night; and have to eat popsicles. That's working for now, and as soon as I am back to 100% it's off to a BUNCH of Dr's for lots of tests. I dont wanna, but I have to. :( Freaking flu....hated it. I also have to see an Atty which makes it so much worse.

Interesting article, thought I would share.........
In a failed attempt to explain away why vaccinated individuals seem to be the
only ones contracting and spreading whooping cough during major outbreaks, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently launched an inquiry aimed at better understanding how the controversial vaccine works. But what the agency ended up discovering is that the vaccine for whooping cough, also known as pertussis, spreads the very same pathogenic bacteria that causes whopping cough in the first place, which in some people can lead to serious infections.
http://www.naturalnews.com/044162_pertussis_vaccination_whooping_cough_FDA.html#

So,, if this happens with this vaccine, it very well could with others.

I always get the flu shot, I have never had the flu.
I get the occasional common cold once in awhile.

I voted no, and it's not because I think they can't work. But it is a matter of getting a vaccine for the proper strain of flu that you contract. So, basically I think it's up to people to do their own risk assessment. I encourage my mom to get the vaccine every year and she does. I have gotten them in the past, but I haven't for probably the last 5 years.

My 80+ year old mother refuses to get the flu shot. She firmly believes in natural immunity. She's never had the flu. She does however eat an immaculate diet free of hormones and chemicals that are difficult to pronounce.

I agree with your sentiments. I have not been out to see my customers in 3 weeks. :( However, what you are describing sounds like one of the stomach bugs that has been spreading like wildfire, not like influenza, a respiratory flu - has nothing to do with the runs or vomiting.

Yes it does! Several years ago I was misdiagnosed with a stomach virus by my dr. I had fever, chills, aches, pains, diareah, nausea. Two weeks after the onset I ended up dehydrated in the ER and tested positive with the flu-influenza.. I had no respiratory symptoms. None at all. I even told them I didnt need a flu test because of that.i was wrong.

I haven't missed getting a flu shot since. This past weekend I was hit out of the blue with vomiting and dirareah, it was horrible. Later when that subsided, I started feeling achy and horrible. It was just like the other time only not quite as severe. I went to the dr this morning and I have flu B.influenza-B.I started tamiflu and the horrible aching is gone and I was actually hungry and ate tonite.again, the only symptoms were GI and feeling horrible. No respiratory.

You can have the flu and only have GI symptoms. Unfortunately, I know all too well. Will it stop me from getting a flu shot in the future? No. I will still get one. Because even though I got the flu and was horribly sick, it wasnt as bad as the time I had it w/o getting the shot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back