Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

“Dominican Republic
Travel Advisory
April 15, 2019
Dominican Republic - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

C
country information page.

If you decide to travel to the Dominican Republic:

• Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
  • Follow the advice of resort and tour operators regarding local safety and security concerns
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for the Dominican Republic.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review with updates to information on crime.”

“Health:

While private hospitals in large cities are generally adequate, the quality of care can vary. Public hospitals and those outside large cities are not necessarily up to U.S. medical standards. You may need to pay a deposit or fees before receiving emergency medical treatment. See our website for additional information on medical assistance in the Dominican Republic.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most health care providers in the Dominican Republic only accept cash payments and these payments often must be made prior to treatment and/or before the patient’s hospital discharge. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of the Dominican Republic to ensure the medication is legal in the Dominican Republic. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

The following diseases are prevalent:

• Chikungunya
  • Dengue
  • Yellow Fever
  • Zika
Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Tap Water: Tap water is unsafe to drink. Bottled water and beverages are considered safe.

Cosmetic Surgery: Be aware of the risks associated with cosmetic surgery in the Dominican Republic. U.S. citizens have suffered serious complications or died during or after having cosmetic surgery in the Dominican Republic, including from complications and infections detected only after departure from the Dominican Republic. Verify the credentials and qualifications of any plastic surgeon and discuss post-surgical care and the detection and management of post-surgical infection prior to any procedure. See the CDC’s website on medical tourism for additional information.

Further health information:

Last edited:
Geez, the number just keeps climbing.

I feel so much for the families. Their relatives go to take a vacation of a lifetime then drop dead under mysterious circumstances. Most of them from the same cause of death.

Something rotten is afoot.

Good to know! I haven’t been there in years but I don’t get the comparison between NY and DR. o_O
The person who compared NYC to DR is a travel agency spokesperson and the news article is in the New York Post about NYers pulling out of trips to the DR.

NY'ers would likely see NYC as a safe place to be, while some people outside of NYC might think it's a big city too scary to visit. So by comparing the two places, he's sort of letting NYers know there is no reason to be afraid of DR, just like NYers would tell people nervous about visiting NYC there is no reason to be particularly afraid.

jmo

Last edited:
As I understand it, the US has been a level 2 since Apr of this year....
I have a good friend that is a serious scuba diver. He goes all over the Caribbean to dive. He said the organization he is part of is avoiding D.R. But he also said they had been doing so for almost a year because the crime was getting worse.

The person who compared NYC to DR is a travel agency spokesperson and the news article is in the New York Post about NYers pulling out of trips to the DR.

NY'ers would likely see NYC as a safe place to be, while some people outside of NYC might think it's a big city too scary to visit. So by comparing the two places, he's sort of letting NYers know there is no reason to be afraid of DR, just like NYers would tell people nervous about visiting NYC there is no reason to be particularly afraid.

jmo
There's a very buff policeman ever 10 feet in NYC. It's safe. There's 38,422 cops.
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 4.16.08 PM.png

Last edited:
And I like this one....
“People who come to New York are taking the same chances as going to the DR,” Sinclair said.”

At least Medicare and your health insurance works in New York. Not sure about the tap
water.

Your health insurance may not work. It will be out of network$$$$$. You may need an ok from your doc. You probably will have to pay upfront

Oh yeaaahhh!! Earlier I had mentioned I watched some videos from expats, etc a few months ago and this was a huge thing that was mentioned!! The corruption in the medical field! That they will let you die if you don’t pay them what they need!

YouTube was a treasure trove of information—I still can’t remember why I was even watching these videos a few months ago...

No in DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member