Dominican Republic - Tammy Lawrence-Daley, 51, from Delaware, beaten at resort, Punta Cana, May 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
People who leave the country for vacation do so at their own peril. United States citizens are not well liked in the world. I think that there is a huge problem with serious poverty in the world, and "rich" tourists get the brunt of anger.

I go to Italy every couple of years and the people are wonderful to Americans. Some of the older ones remember WWII and the help they received. Romanians? Not so much.

I go to Italy every couple of years and the people are wonderful to Americans. Some of the older ones remember WWII and the help they received. Romanians? Not so much.

I think that there is more of a problem South of the United States border, and Caribbean countries rather than Europe, places with more poverty.

I used to go to Cancun every year for a vacation, the last time I went, literally, the resort we were staying at, had a perimeter fence, that I had not seen before, and a gate with armed guards. It was rather chilling to me, that security had increased so much in a place that used to be pretty safe for tourists. Rather than feeling safer with the increased security, I wondered why it was so much different than it had been before.

Interesting to say the least. The stories certainly are buried or they sure apparently try to do so, and if pushed, it is blamed on the victims or an answer is provided but not a satisfactory one (Orlando Moore and Portia) and then still an attempt to bury the story. This one is news to me.

JMO.

Interesting and very thorough and pretty much on target. Nothing that suprised me however except for the mention of potential non domestic terror attacks.

They mention violent crime in specific areas but rarely includes tourists. They did mention mass shootings and what to do if you happen to be in one.

None of the above would keep me from visiting the U.S., however.

I work in the hospitality industry and at times we are offered completely free trips to our resorts, airfare included. I have and will continue to refuse trips that take me to the Caribbean, Mexico or anywhere south of that. No thanks.

I work in the hospitality industry and at times we are offered completely free trips to our resorts, airfare included. I have and will continue to refuse trips that take me to the Caribbean, Mexico or anywhere south of that. No thanks.

I think that is wise. And I am sad to say that. I love Mexico, and Central America, I used to travel there quite a bit. Things are changing so rapidly right now in Costa Rica, and other normally "stable" places due to the proximity to unstable areas. That is the problem.

This doesn't mean to not travel, but it does mean to be prepared for the unexpected. Unfortunately.

My best friend goes to Punta Cana every year for two weeks. She went again this past February.

Her SO is quite wealthy so perhaps their resort is much better? His family comes with several younger children also. They have a fabulous time.

My former principal takes his family and young grandchildren to Cancun. He went in March. They had a fabulous time as well.

The US has unpredictable killings everywhere .

The only choice is to stay home but there are weird home invasions such as with Jayme Closs or there have been planes that crashed into a house so home is no guarantee.

As a tourist you will always be more vulnerable than a local wherever you go. The primary reason is that you don't know what is out-of-the ordinary. All those little ques you pick up on subconsciously when you're at home, you miss when your out of your ordinary environment.

On the whole the vast majority of the US is perfectly safe, however as we all know, you can go a few blocks to the right or left and its not so safe. You could sleep on the sidewalk with your wallet on your lap where I live and someone would bring you a blanket. I wouldn't do that in Chicago.

There is a reason that when you go to some Caribbean islands that the malls are surrounded by 15 foot high walls with razor wire and armed guards. You rarely if ever will see that in the US except in select areas of some major cities.

On the other hand I have traveled all over the world and the only place I was ever mugged was on a train in Baltimore.

The problem with these places is that they are lawless. I highly doubt this person is going to be prosecuted if found. They probably won't even look for him. :eek:
I think it depends on how well publicized the case is.

The victim was a tourist and widely publicized crimes against tourists- especially when the tourist in question was not engaged in dangerous activities in a high risk area can have a huge impact on the tourism industry and resulting revenue.

That possibility can motivate local police to make strong efforts towards solving a crime that they would not otherwise be inclined to do.

I think it depends on how well publicized the case is.

The victim was a tourist and widely publicized crimes against tourists- especially when the tourist in question was not engaged in dangerous activities in a high risk area can have a huge impact on the tourism industry and resulting revenue.

That possibility can motivate local police to make strong efforts towards solving a crime that they would not otherwise be inclined to do.
Or they will respond to the publicity and just grab some random person with a shifty reputation and do no serious investigation.

Or they will respond to the publicity and just grab some random person with a shifty reputation and do no serious investigation.
Good point, they are equally likely to do just that.

All that matters is that the inter net media sites state "Arrest made after assault of Delaware tourist.... "

Some places in the Caribbean are rough and some are very safe. I've been to the Bahamas many many times and have never had any problems and felt perfectly safe everywhere. Some friends of mine went to Jamaica last summer and they had some problems. But its like every place, mostly good people but there are some exceptions.

The Danger in the US is underrated, we are in a climate of demonizing people based on certain characteristics.

The Danger of resorts in countries like D.R., Mexico or Bahamas is very exaggerated based on stereotypes and isolated instances

The Danger of resorts in countries like D.R., Mexico or Bahamas is very exaggerated based on stereotypes and isolated instances

I think you have a good point with the qualifier of 'resorts'.

Though certain Caribbean countries and Mexico can be extremely violent, violent crime directed against tourists doing touristy things in designated resorts or even in well established "off resort" tourist based night clubs is extremely rare. Ditto for tourists exploring well known ruins.

This low frequency of violent crime in tourist areas could well reflect a serious commitment by local authorities to protect a key component of the local economies. Street criminals caught preying on tourists in designated tourist areas could well be face not only formal court sentences, but also more direct and forceful "rehabilitation" session(s).

Tourists venturing outside of designated tourist areas, however, can be on their own.

Just came across another unusual death in DR.
Miranda Schaup-Werner was found dead at the Grand Bahia Principe hotel on May 25. She’s from Allentown, PA and was reported to have died of respiratory failure. She was a healthy 41 year old woman. Family is questioning her death. Pennsylvania woman found dead days before couple at same Dominican Republic resort

More info here: Pennsylvania woman died at same Dominican hotel five days before Maryland couple in similar circumstances

Days later, Edward Holmes and his fiance Cynthia Day were found dead in their hotel room.
“In all three cases, Dominican authorities said that an autopsy gave the same apparent cause of death – respiratory failure and pulmonary edema, which is caused by excess fluid in the lungs. The Regional Institute of Forensic Sciences said that, in the case of Holmes and Day, further tests are required.”

I think that is wise. And I am sad to say that. I love Mexico, and Central America, I used to travel there quite a bit. Things are changing so rapidly right now in Costa Rica, and other normally "stable" places due to the proximity to unstable areas. That is the problem.

This doesn't mean to not travel, but it does mean to be prepared for the unexpected. Unfortunately.
Nope disagree, Costa Rica had been violent for a long time. I had a professor from there, back in the mid 90's when my old self decided to go back to school.We asked her why she didn't live there and she shuddered and said, "It's too violent".This is from someone who grew up there!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back