Dr. Phil Show-Links to show now added

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from Believe09's post to me:
"I can see you have experience in this area-are you saying that a blow to the head caused his cataracts to form in 24 hours? If not that, are you saying that laying with eyes open in the sun for less than 24 hours caused blinding cataracts to form? Because we have established that these cataracts were not due to illicit drug consumption or years of alcohol abuse. So just to make sure I am clear-blinding cataracts can form in less than a 24 hour period without needing some accelerating factor like drugs (illicit or otherwise like prednisone). His retina was not burned, which in my ignorance I assumed would be the first thing to go if he were laying in the sun with his eyes open for a period of time.

You seem to be saying that the cataracts could not have formed slowly narrowing his field of vision because no one would tolerate that."

Believe,
I respect you. I am not here to argue with you.
The lack of vision is very distressing, whether immediate or over a period of time. It doesn't matter. When people can't see, life is a threat, not a joy.
I had no intention of relating this, but since you keep pushing the theory that Ben would indeed walk around with " developing cataracts", unable to recognize himself in the mirror, etc, let me tell you how it feels to not be able to see for periods of time per day, every day, for all of one's life.

I am legally blind without corrective devices. My eyesight has been so poor for all of my life that I dare not risk LASIK surgery. I could end up sightless permanently. I know why, but it is complicated and gives no merit to Ben's story because I do not have cataracts. My perfect eyes were permanently damaged as a newborn in a hospital. I have been told how lucky I am to have ANY sight.
I cannot see the big E on the eye chart.
I know what almost blind is like and it is HORRIBLE.

Trust me when I say these things to you from the bottom of my heart, from years of experience.
Every day, I know what it is like to wake up and have NO IDEA what time it is because I cannot read the numbers on the clock. On any clock.
I know what it is like to run into furniture, to trip over objects, to try to find a ringing telephone, to have the doorbell ring and wonder who is on the other side of the door because I cannot see through the windows.
I know what it is like to go on vacation and wake up in terror, because the steps and route to the bathroom where my contact lens are is a different route from usual.

I have related my experiences. I also know that people who have very limited voluntary movement in nursing homes, long term nursing home residents have cataracts removed on a regular basis and have normal vision restored with a minimum of discomfort or recovery time.
I would think this speaks to the fact that we as a society and medical personnel in particular recognize the basic right to have a life with sight.
No ethical doctor in his or her right mind would have refused Benjaman help.

As to HOW the cataracts formed, I don't really understand why you are focused so intently on this.
NO, a blow to the head does not cause cataracts, nor did I ever imply such.
I said that it is entirely possible that he did NOT have normal eyesight because of another assault shortly before the one we know about, the assault behind the dumpster.
We have NO WAY to know what happened to Benjaman before this final beating and torture. He could have been held against his will for some time for reasons we do not know. We do not know who beat him, if it was one beating or a series of beatings, or why he was a target in the first place. ( if there can ever be a " why".).

My point is that he could have been sprayed with pepper spray or mace repeatedly. He could have had a chemical burn to his eyes which went untreated because he was being beaten and held against his will, then the state of being unconscious caused his eyes not to close, with damage to the lens. I am sure that if I had access to the medical records of his eye exam, we would see that he had other eye injuries which were treated such as corneal ulcerations, blepharitis or any number of things.
I think it is short-sighted of us to concentrate on only what the police have been able to tell us- that he was FOUND behind a dumpster, beaten. He was somewhere else before he was behind the dumpster, and we have NO WAY to know where that was or what the conditions were.

We know nothing about his days and nights before that last day when he was found. He could have been somewhere else, in harm's way physically, against his will. There are a lot of sadistic people out there.

Until we KNOW what happened to Benjaman from start to finish, if it is our place to know, then I suggest we concentrate on where he is now, and the fact that his eyesight has been restored through surgery, not using untried theories like the one that he walked around so severely impaired that he could not recognize his own face in a mirror for an extended period of time of his own volition. In so doing, we are assuming quite a lot, not the least of which is that he was a person who did not value his eyesight. I believe the premise is demeaning to this man and I do not agree with it at all. The main reason I do not agree that he tried to navigate the world in a haze of blindness is because it is against human nature to do so, self-preservation being the strongest instinct we have.
I also believe Benjaman is intelligent and would have sought emergency help for his eyes, if that was all that was wrong physically, had he been in ANY condition to do so himself.

Sincerely,
Maria

My bold-I am not arguing with you SJ any more than you are arguing with me-I have stated my opinion, you are countering with information you have...some of which I don't understand nothing more. :blowkiss:

IIRC you were stating why his cataracts were not, in your opinion, forming over a period of time. I was questioning whether his cataracts could possibly have formed in 24 hours or less...again nothing more. :blowkiss:

You are correct that we have no information regarding his previous hours, days or years prior to being found. Further, we have medical information that is being related through a 3rd party rather then directly. I am concentrating on his vision because it is something that can be used to determine who he was-if I am reading your posts correctly you are dismissing his vision because you feel it is related perhaps to his head injury..or whatever-actually I am not really clear what you might be associating it with, lol.

I have always been struck with BK's statements regarding looking in the mirror after his surgery and finally seeing himself....he felt he had lost 20 years. It is my pet theory that perhaps his field of vision was changing or narrowing...again, no more no less...You have stated quite clearly that there is NO WAY that was the case. OK-fair enough :blowkiss:

Beyond that, let me state that I do not have his medical records and have never seen them. I would LOVE to. But, even with all of this attention, Mr. Kyle is a private man who has put his case in the hands of the Dr. Phil show for resolution and with that comes the agreement that he will abide by their rules...whatever those rules may be.

Believe,
I respect you. I am not here to argue with you.
The lack of vision is very distressing, whether immediate or over a period of time. It doesn't matter. When people can't see, life is a threat, not a joy.
I had no intention of relating this, but since you keep pushing the theory that Ben would indeed walk around with " developing cataracts", unable to recognize himself in the mirror, etc, let me tell you how it feels to not be able to see for periods of time per day, every day, for all of one's life.

I am l

As to HOW the cataracts formed, I don't really understand why you are focused so intently on this.
NO, a blow to the head does not cause cataracts, nor did I ever imply such.
I said that it is entirely possible that he did NOT have normal eyesight because of another assault shortly before the one we know about, the assault behind the dumpster.
We have NO WAY to know what happened to Benjaman before this final beating and torture. He could have been held against his will for some time for reasons we do not know. We do not know who beat him, if it was one beating or a series of beatings, or why he was a target in the first place. ( if there can ever be a " why".).

My point is that he could have been sprayed with pepper spray or mace repeatedly. He could have had a chemical burn to his eyes which went untreated because he was being beaten and held against his will, then the state of being unconscious caused his eyes not to close, with damage to the lens. I am sure that if I had access to the medical records of his eye exam, we would see that he had other eye injuries which were treated such as corneal ulcerations, blepharitis or any number of things.
I think it is short-sighted of us to concentrate on only what the police have been able to tell us- that he was FOUND behind a dumpster, beaten. He was somewhere else before he was behind the dumpster, and we have NO WAY to know where that was or what the conditions were.

We know nothing about his days and nights before that last day when he was found. He could have been somewhere else, in harm's way physically, against his will. There are a lot of sadistic people out there.

Until we KNOW what happened to Benjaman from start to finish, if it is our place to know, then I suggest we concentrate on where he is now, and the fact that his eyesight has been restored through surgery, not using untried theories like the one that he walked around so severely impaired that he could not recognize his own face in a mirror for an extended period of time of his own volition. In so doing, we are assuming quite a lot, not the least of which is that he was a person who did not value his eyesight. I believe the premise is demeaning to this man and I do not agree with it at all. The main reason I do not agree that he tried to navigate the world in a haze of blindness is because it is against human nature to do so, self-preservation being the strongest instinct we have.
I also believe Benjaman is intelligent and would have sought emergency help for his eyes, if that was all that was wrong physically, had he been in ANY condition to do so himself.

Sincerely,
Maria

Wow, SS! You sound like me! Sorta. My eyes weren't damaged, but have gradually gotten worse over the years. I too am legally blind without correction! I can totally relate to your experiences, although I can see the big E on the chart, but barely! Please don't think that I am downplaying your experiences since you have apparently been this way your whole life, mine has just come on gradually. I am not a candidate for Lasik either, but I've heard of a new procedure (can't remember what its called) that is being used in Britain, which should be available in the US in a few years, that I might be a candidate for.

Sorry! O/T!

Wow, SS! You sound like me! Sorta. My eyes weren't damaged, but have gradually gotten worse over the years. I too am legally blind without correction! I can totally relate to your experiences, although I can see the big E on the chart, but barely! Please don't think that I am downplaying your experiences since you have apparently been this way your whole life, mine has just come on gradually. I am not a candidate for Lasik either, but I've heard of a new procedure (can't remember what its called) that is being used in Britain, which should be available in the US in a few years, that I might be a candidate for.

Sorry! O/T!

I am so sorry to read of your vision challenges as well as SeekingJana's...

Thanks believe! but as long as I have my contacts in, I'm fine! Its just when I take them out that I bump into walls, LOL.

My bold-I am not arguing with you SJ any more than you are arguing with me-I have stated my opinion, you are countering with information you have...some of which I don't understand nothing more. :blowkiss:

IIRC you were stating why his cataracts were not, in your opinion, forming over a period of time. I was questioning whether his cataracts could possibly have formed in 24 hours or less...again nothing more. :blowkiss:

You are correct that we have no information regarding his previous hours, days or years prior to being found. Further, we have medical information that is being related through a 3rd party rather then directly. I am concentrating on his vision because it is something that can be used to determine who he was-if I am reading your posts correctly you are dismissing his vision because you feel it is related perhaps to his head injury..or whatever-actually I am not really clear what you might be associating it with, lol.

I have always been struck with BK's statements regarding looking in the mirror after his surgery and finally seeing himself....he felt he had lost 20 years. It is my pet theory that perhaps his field of vision was changing or narrowing...again, no more no less...You have stated quite clearly that there is NO WAY that was the case. OK-fair enough :blowkiss:

Beyond that, let me state that I do not have his medical records and have never seen them. I would LOVE to. But, even with all of this attention, Mr. Kyle is a private man who has put his case in the hands of the Dr. Phil show for resolution and with that comes the agreement that he will abide by their rules...whatever those rules may be.

Believe,
Thanks for discussing this with me. I hope most of all that whoever Benjaman has put his trust in will not disappoint him or mislead him, but will stand by him until the total resolution of his identity and all other related matters has come to pass. :)

Again, Believe, I do not think a head injury caused Benjaman's cataracts. Please do not mis-quote me on this, because I do not believe it and have never tied a head injury to the cataracts. They were caused by EXTERNAL environmental assaults, IMO, such as the blinding sun ( literally blinding), and I believe probably a chemical exposure as part of wherever extreme jeopardy he was in during the days before he was FOUND behind the dumpster.

As far as the " I looked in the mirror and looked so much older than I thought I was" type of comment, this is not unusual at all and I do not believe it is a literal comment in the way that you think it is. MOST people in his age group, if they are honest, look older than they feel inside. This has been documented over and over in studies. People's inner sense of age and sense of self does not match their chronological age at all.
Many people older than we think Benjaman is will say that the hardest part of growing older is the fact that they change externally while still having a sharp wit and the same love of life that they had when young.
I believe that this is more closely related to what Benjaman saw and felt rather than a literal age discrepency, based upon what I know of human nature.
Since Benjaman had a type of amnesia when he did look into a mirror, I believe he was probably basing his sense of age on the same parameters as other people- the age he " feels" inside, his spirit age, in other words, and was shocked to be years older. I understand this, but I am not sure I can describe it to you well. I hope so, :).

All in all, we have so little to go on.

I find it extremely unusual that Benjaman was NOT asked about any PERSONAL memories in his adult life. He was not asked things like " Any hint of a memory of your getting married, of a happy wedding, or holding your baby for the first time". Nothing to establish who he might be or who might be waiting for him or looking for him in the world. We tend to remember the extremely special happy days above all else, even years later, and sometimes even after a bitter divorce.

A grilled cheese sandwich and milk at a fair and parents. That's about as deep as they wanted to take it on the air.
I believe there is a reason for this, I just don't know what the reason is yet.

Btw~ I went to Dr. Phil's site to find the thread you guys were talking about and I got a threat of a virus to my computer (Sheur ?). I immediately shut it down and didn't go back. Please keep us filled in on what is going on over there as I haven't read any of it! Ack!

Another explaination IMHO of him thinking he was younger than he looked in the mirror following the eye surgery is because the amnesia is blocking his memories of the past decades leaving him with only bits and pieces of his early years. He didn't think he was 50 years old because he doesn't have the memories of 50 years of life. From what I can remember on the subject, it is a normal reaction of someone suffering from this type of amnesia.

Unless he was homeless, I do not believe his issues with his eyes was caused by normal factors over time as I do think that he would have gotten corrective surgery before it got as bad as it was.

I think there are a lot of details he is not sharing, which is his right, however it makes it extremely difficult to theorize on what may have happenned to him or where he may have roots.

I do, too, wish him the best and hope he gets the closure he is seeking.

Most of the posts there are ridiculous: posts from people who incredulously mentioned Benjaman having mannerisms similar to a well known serial killer, as well as the Bush family. And many people are saying he looks like "so and so" when there is no resemblance at all.

Nice posts from a few WS'ers there though.

There was one post that caught my eye (page 12) where a member wrote:"I know my friend is his brother! No one from the show has called me and I have left numerous messages!"

That's it. No details. Nothing. Things like that upset me because I fear BK will read that and get his hopes up.

Can someone give me a link to this discussion over the the Dr Phil show website? I've gone over there and I can't seem to find anything but 2 pages of comments. Am I in the wrong place?

Please help.

I'm sorry, but I cannot support Dr. Phil's so called discussion board of hatred.

Also, if you see, SS has just posted that she tried to go there and was alearted to a virus threat detected through her AV software.

I went to the discussion board yesterday and unless it changed today, I didn't notice any "hatred". ?!? How sad. Most of the comments seemed uninformed, but then again, I am used to the more intelligent people here. A few seemed to offer up some new names though. I agree, though SJ, that Dr. Phil is definitely not one of my favorite people, but I am happy for BK that he found ANY kind of public forum for his plight. I haven't watched the whole episode yet, just the first two parts, but it doesn't seem as in depth as we had hoped for, but at least he got his face out there.

Btw~ I went to Dr. Phil's site to find the thread you guys were talking about and I got a threat of a virus to my computer (Sheur ?). I immediately shut it down and didn't go back. Please keep us filled in on what is going on over there as I haven't read any of it! Ack!

Thank you for posting this.

I went to the discussion board yesterday and unless it changed today, I didn't notice any "hatred". ?!? How sad. Most of the comments seemed uninformed, but then again, I am used to the more intelligent people here. A few seemed to offer up some new names though. I agree, though SJ, that Dr. Phil is definitely not one of my favorite people, but I am happy for BK that he found ANY kind of public forum for his plight. I haven't watched the whole episode yet, just the first two parts, but it doesn't seem as in depth as we had hoped for, but at least he got his face out there.

BeavisMom, right after the show there were hateful awful comments about BK posted. I would assume that the webmaster would have deleted them ASAP. Therefore, you may have missed them.

I make no assumptions as to whether Dr. Phil endorses completely free speech or wants his board moderated within what one would consider to be " normal" discussion.
I do not blame Dr. Phil for what is or was on the message board connected to his show.
He has done some very good things for many people. I do not dislike him, neither do I champion him. :)

Maria

http://www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/3644

Here is the link to the boards-there are 141 messages in all and I am posting under GoBKyle. I have not received any virus messages but will be sure to scan!!!!

I mean, yeah Dr Phil has his fair share of crazies and there is some nonsense going on. Lots of silly comments about BK being a long lost Bush and Dennis Rader, BTK...ok.

But there are some interesting thoughts and ideas about Indianapolis and the Catholic school community so maybe have an open mind while you are looking? Poster BKunknown is someone who is posting on behalf of BK specifically, I believe.

Here is the link to the boards-there are 141 messages in all and I am posting under GoBKyle. I have not received any virus messages but will be sure to scan!!!!

I mean, yeah Dr Phil has his fair share of crazies and there is some nonsense going on. Lots of silly comments about BK being a long lost Bush and Dennis Rader, BTK...ok.

But there are some interesting thoughts and ideas about Indianapolis and the Catholic school community so maybe have an open mind while you are looking? Poster BKunknown is someone who is posting on behalf of BK specifically, I believe.

Ugh! I know! I saw the comments about Dennis Rader and was sickened! Those people are nuts! He looks/acts nothing like DR and looks nothing like any of the Bush family that I have seen! Crazies!!

I know, the Dennis Rader stuff is just SO crazy!!!

BeavisMom, right after the show there were hateful awful comments about BK posted. I would assume that the webmaster would have deleted them ASAP. Therefore, you may have missed them.

I make no assumptions as to whether Dr. Phil endorses completely free speech or wants his board moderated within what one would consider to be " normal" discussion.
I do not blame Dr. Phil for what is or was on the message board connected to his show.
He has done some very good things for many people. I do not dislike him, neither do I champion him. :)

Maria

Oh, ok, I didn't check it out until the next day, so I'm glad I missed them. Some people are just nuts!

I hope this is the place to ask my question - I have read a few different threads on BK and could not find an answer. In regards to the contract he had with Dr. Phil - I can understand that when he is identified, Dr. Phil wanting to do a follow up show, etc. but will we know when he is identified or will we have to wait until that follow up show is filmed. I guess what I am asking is, will it be posted here at WS as soon as it happens? I can wait to hear all the details on a follow up Dr. Phil show, but I would love to know, as soon as it happens, that he has found himself.

I do not know if Dr Phil is looking to do a follow up show-usually he decides based on interest I believe.

As someone pointed out earlier, he does not hold the rights to Mr. Kyle's life and I for one will be crushed if no one shares with us the fact that this lovely man has been identified considering all of the sweat everyone has put into him!!!

I hope this is the place to ask my question - I have read a few different threads on BK and could not find an answer. In regards to the contract he had with Dr. Phil - I can understand that when he is identified, Dr. Phil wanting to do a follow up show, etc. but will we know when he is identified or will we have to wait until that follow up show is filmed. I guess what I am asking is, will it be posted here at WS as soon as it happens? I can wait to hear all the details on a follow up Dr. Phil show, but I would love to know, as soon as it happens, that he has found himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties