Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Each day the trial is one day closer and I keep wondering when we will get hit with a delay....delay. I hope the trial is Oct 1.
Thank you MsJosie for bringing this thread back on track.

Mark's lawyer wanted delay of trial because with the severance of MS/JRs trials, he “needed a new strategy”. He was going to use Jimmy’s expert witnesses, but now he wants new ones for himself. The Judge was very bold in his 9/13/19 denial of Motion to Continue stating “counsel choosing to retain new experts on the eve of trial, when counsel could have done so at any time in the preceding four years, is not a basis to continue trial”. ((Rock On Judge K))
However, at the same time, the Judge did approve funding for both a DNA expert and a Forensic Pathologist (on taxpayers tab).
Why Mark needs a DNA expert is beyond me (unless his DNA is on the murder weapon, which could be, it was in his house) his alibi is airtight, he wasn’t physically there when this horrific murder occurred.

On the other hand, Jimmys lawyer has some legitimate issues that I think the Judge will consider.
She “recently” received a lot of trace DNA evidence that needs to be looked into. Her “trace DNA expert” wrote to the court stating it would take weeks to go through. Jimmys case is dependent on proving he was there, unlike Mark, and so I think the Judge will rule in her favor and continue Jimmys trial at a later date.

Judge Kyle can’t run both cases simultaneously. They’re going to go back to back and it looks to me like Mark will go first on Oct 01.

Thank you MsJosie for bringing this thread back on track.

Mark's lawyer wanted delay of trial because with the severance of MS/JRs trials, he “needed a new strategy”. He was going to use Jimmy’s expert witnesses, but now he wants new ones for himself. The Judge was very bold in his 9/13/19 denial of Motion to Continue stating “counsel choosing to retain new experts on the eve of trial, when counsel could have done so at any time in the preceding four years, is not a basis to continue trial”. ((Rock On Judge K))
However, at the same time, the Judge did approve funding for both a DNA expert and a Forensic Pathologist (on taxpayers tab).
Why Mark needs a DNA expert is beyond me (unless his DNA is on the murder weapon, which could be, it was in his house) his alibi is airtight, he wasn’t physically there when this horrific murder occurred.

On the other hand, Jimmys lawyer has some legitimate issues that I think the Judge will consider.
She “recently” received a lot of trace DNA evidence that needs to be looked into. Her “trace DNA expert” wrote to the court stating it would take weeks to go through. Jimmys case is dependent on proving he was there, unlike Mark, and so I think the Judge will rule in her favor and continue Jimmys trial at a later date.

Judge Kyle can’t run both cases simultaneously. They’re going to go back to back and it looks to me like Mark will go first on Oct 01.

Thanks.

I was wondering who would go first and thought it would be MS. His lawyer has had more then enough time. JR’s Attorney could use more time because of splitting the trial and not using the same info as MS.

Each suspect should have had their own trial right from the beginning IMO. My reason is JR was at the murder scene and helped in the actual murder if not actually committing it and MS was not. MS was in another state but he planned it. Same murder but different.

MS will take down anyone he can to get off. For JR’s own ‘rights’ he needs a separate trial.

All JMOO.

Thanks.

I was wondering who would go first and thought it would be MS. His lawyer has had more then enough time. JR’s Attorney could use more time because of splitting the trial and not using the same info as MS.

Each suspect should have had their own trial right from the beginning IMO. My reason is JR was at the murder scene and helped in the actual murder if not actually committing it and MS was not. MS was in another state but he planned it. Same murder but different.

MS will take down anyone he can to get off. For JR’s own ‘rights’ he needs a separate trial.

All JMOO.
Thanks MS. JOSIE....You forced me to hit the "forehead slap button" on my laptop! I keep forgetting, in this case "the hitman" has already confessed and cut a deal with the prosecution, duh! CWW (I have a nickname for those initials... ending in Weird Weasel) will be the main witness against MS. The jury will be sitting (with jaws dropped, in-my-opinion) because how can MS cast aspersions on CWW's character when he called him "the brother from another Mother", best buddy, lifelong friend, and called him on a daily basis....until he left for Connecticut?
Did anyone notice MS's appearance has drastically changed? He shaved the facial hair, lost weight and looks very fit. Not a bad thing, but now he doesn't look like CWW any more.

Last edited:
Sooooo, the prosecution is open to a "plea deal" for JRR but not for MS. They may not need a trial if a plea deal is reached. (Must be for JRR,and related to closed hearing in May?) At 1:33 of this video, Judge Kyle says "it been clear you are not giving an offer to Mr. Sievers', but......."
I am going to guess the Oct. 1, trial will simply be the date JRR submits his plea deal with prosecution.
After Sievers murder case split, it's unclear who will be on trial first
ps. This is also where you can see MS looks slim, fit and strong, IMO. After 4 years, a lot of things have changed, huh?

Sooooo, the prosecution is open to a "plea deal" for JRR but not for MS. They may not need a trial if a plea deal is reached. (Must be for JRR,and related to closed hearing in May?) At 1:33 of this video, Judge Kyle says "it been clear you are not giving an offer to Mr. Sievers', but......."
I am going to guess the Oct. 1, trial will simply be the date JRR submits his plea deal with prosecution.
ps. This is also where you can see MS looks slim, fit and strong, IMO. After 4 years, a lot of things have changed, huh?
I knew they would consider a plea deal re JRR. From the beginning Mark was the mastermind . I would be totally fine if Mark got the death penalty or life with no parole.

I knew they would consider a plea deal re JRR. From the beginning Mark was the mastermind . I would be totally fine if Mark got the death penalty or life with no parole.
OREGONMAMA Unless JRR has some incriminating evidence/knowledge of other crimes committed by CWW that he can use as a bargaining tool, I don't think he should get a plea bargain/deal. (To me, bargain & deal imply getting something for less than actual value.) I reviewed JRR's sub-threads....hoping to find some humanity in his life. Ya' know, "nice guy who made one bad choice...blah, blah, blah." But didn't find anything that convinced me. Instead I came away wondering when he got his infamous tattoo: Murder, Death, Destruction.
Are jurors allowed to see photos of defendants tattoos, even if they are covered by clothing?
He will be age 30 in April 2020.
Additional info released in the case included pictures of Rodgers and his tattoos. One tattoo bears the words "murder, death, destruction."

Thanks IQ! You're on a roll! Haven't checked out the picture yet but will in a minute. Cant believe 4 years have passed. The daughters are nearly grown up by now. Hope they are doing great.

OREGONMAMA Unless JRR has some incriminating evidence/knowledge of other crimes committed by CWW that he can use as a bargaining tool, I don't think he should get a plea bargain/deal. (To me, bargain & deal imply getting something for less than actual value.) I reviewed JRR's sub-threads....hoping to find some humanity in his life. Ya' know, "nice guy who made one bad choice...blah, blah, blah." But didn't find anything that convinced me. Instead I came away wondering when he got his infamous tattoo: Murder, Death, Destruction.
Are jurors allowed to see photos of defendants tattoos, even if they are covered by clothing?
He will be age 30 in April 2020.
Additional info released in the case included pictures of Rodgers and his tattoos. One tattoo bears the words "murder, death, destruction."
I remember there was a big legal battle over Casey Anthony's tattoo being admitted as evidence.

"Bella Vita" means "beautiful life" in Italian, reports CBS affiliate WKMG. Anthonygot the tattoo while her daughter Caylee was still missing. Williams testified that Anthony seemed happy when she came into the shop.

So I think they can sometimes be admitted as evidence but there has to be a reasonable explanation as to why it should be allowed.

I am wondering if 'Murder, Death, Destruction' might be to prejudicial?

Not sure where to put this..... Are there any conversation groups about the trial/case and if so would someone please add me. I'm sw fl. And would like to go to MS ttrial and up if anyone else will be there. And of course chat about trial a little more freely.

Not sure where to put this.????.... Are there any conversation groups about the trial/case and if so would someone please add me. I'm sw fl. And would like to go to MS ttrial and up if anyone else will be there. And of course chat about trial a little more freely.
???Oh Kakidoll. lol:D:D:D:D:D Hmmm, On your wish list? I have found the TS forum to have some really great posters, who are open to just about any questions. Sure conversational groups are fun, but I'd hate to leave anyone out of the loop who has been following this case from day one. I don't think there is anything that hasn't been discussed, even if it was embarrassing. (Well some of it was embarrassing to a prude, like me. Please insert "blushing icon.") Btw, if there was such a group, nobody invited me! I don't do FB stuff, but maybe you can check around there?
The only thing that has bothered me recently, was the "closed hearing" regarding JRR. I thought information on all criminal court proceedings (not involving minors) were open to the public in Florida.

???Oh Kakidoll. lol:D:D:D:D:D Hmmm, On your wish list? I have found the TS forum to have some really great posters, who are open to just about any questions. Sure conversational groups are fun, but I'd hate to leave anyone out of the loop who has been following this case from day one. I don't think there is anything that hasn't been discussed, even if it was embarrassing. (Well some of it was embarrassing to a prude, like me. Please insert "blushing icon.") Btw, if there was such a group, nobody invited me! I don't do FB stuff, but maybe you can check around there?
The only thing that has bothered me recently, was the "closed hearing" regarding JRR. I thought information on all criminal court proceedings (not involving minors) were open to the public in Florida.

Thanks for the replay. I meant the conversation group here on WS. If there are any, please invite me :-) I don't like getting in trouble with mods so like the freedom of the private area. That way no one is offended :-)

Just popping in to see if trial is still scheduled for October 1. It is here! Any word on who is up first, assuming there isn’t another delay?
Both have had motions to continue denied.

They're both still scheduled for 1 October, no idea who is up first. I'm honestly starting to think they may decide on the day.

One of JRR's attorneys had a scheduling conflict with a trial supposed to start today, but they've continued it to 2 October.

Screenshot_20190926-223018.png

https://matrix.leeclerk.org/Cases/Search

There are several differences between a death penalty trial and other criminal trials in Florida, including the size of the jury.

The jury doubles from six people to 12 people during capital cases, according to the Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure.

“In addition to being asked general questions about whether they can be fair, jurors are asked a series of questions related their beliefs about capital punishment,” Dunham said.

"You are also excluded from service if you say you'd automatically impose the death penalty, but virtually nobody says that,” he said.

Florida Statue outlines 16 aggravating factors, including some related to the defendant’s criminal history and the age and person of the victim.

Sievers had five life insurance policies under his wife's name totaling $4.4 million and planned to pay Curtis Wayne Wright, another defendant in the case, to kill her, according to an affidavit released by the State Attorney’s Office in 2015.

https://www.news-press.com/story/news/crime/2019/09/27/teresa-sievers-murder-trial-what-to-know-about-death-penalty-florida/2369836001/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams