Drew Peterson's Trial *FIFTH WEEK* part two

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy has been in a courtroom more than a couple of times -- he may have been waiting to answer to make sure the PT didn't have an objection. He certainly didn't appear to be "in trouble" due to the questions, or panicking, or at a loss for what to say. Grrrrrrrrr.

I believe the question was about why Stacy did not hire him and Attorney Smith knew he was not suppose to answer that question with the obvious answer (she disappeared before she had a chance). This is why he was looking at the PT. He was probaby thinking "What the heck????" jmo

I am wondering why DP 2nd wife was not called to testify. She was threatened that her death could be covered up to look like an accident. Not hearsay but true.

I believe the question was about why Stacy did not hire him and Attorney Smith knew he was not suppose to answer that question with the obvious answer (she disappeared before she had a chance). This is why he was looking at the PT. He was probaby thinking "What the heck????" jmo

Brodsky said on IS this morning that the answer he was expecting was that Smith couldn't represent Stacy because of a conflict of interest. Brodsky said that's what Smith has said in all of his previous testimonies and Brodsky thought Smith was maybe thinking of answering with something else and commiting perjury.

Apparently that's true (who knew Brodsky was capable of truth) - from Shelby's post from earlier today:
[snipped by me]
His previous testimony was that he didn't retain her because it would have been a conflict of interest. He tried to call her a couple of times, but was never able to get a hold of her to tell her that.

I'm trying to check if I have all the prosecution's stipulations listed.

This is what I have: (Am I missing any?)

WITNESSES / ITEMS LISTED IN PROSECUTION STIPULATIONS:

- James Poortinga (Illinois State Police Sergeant) - re: Telephone Calls
- Kevin Stevenson (Deputy Coroner Attended Autopsy) - Attended Autopsy
- Cales, Cassandra (Stacy Peterson's Sister) - re: Stacy's cell phone number
- Michael VanOver (Deputy Coroner) - Took custody of body following exhumation
- Patrick O’Neil would testify that he's the Will County Coroner
- Dr. Bryan Mitchell (Medical Examiner) did autopsy, prepared report 03/02/2004
- Photograph taken at autopsy shows a necklace around Savio's neck
- Toxicology specimens were sent to St. Louis University
- Phone records, dates, times, lengths of calls between Peterson and Savio.
- Letter to former Asst. Prosecutor Elizabeth Fragale November 14, 2002
- Drew Peterson interview transcript on the NBC Today Show 11/14/2007 ?
- Drew Peterson interview transcript April 11, 2008 Larry King Live Show

If anybody can help, sure would appreciate it.

Thanks, ACR

Brodsky said on IS this morning that the answer he was expecting was that Smith couldn't represent Stacy because of a conflict of interest. Brodsky said that's what Smith has said in all of his previous testimonies and Brodsky thought Smith was maybe thinking of answering with something else and commiting perjury.

Apparently that's true (who knew Brodsky was capable of truth) - from Shelby's post from earlier today:

Well then I am so proud of Harry Smith for outwitting the DT at their own game. They thought they could drag him up to the witness chair and make him parrot whatever they wanted him to say?

Keep in mind---Smith was Kathleen's attorney. Imagine how he must have felt when he heard about her 'accident.' He KNEW what happened, imo. And then he hears from Stacy who confirms what he probably suspected all along. And he is on the phone with her, and then he realizes that Drew was within earshot and was yelling " who are you talking to?"

And two days later she is missing? He must have felt terrible.

And then these sleazy defense attorneys, who are representing the killer, try and USE HIM to free their murdering client. They were STUPID to think they could put an experienced attorney on the stand, and get him to say what they wanted. He is not some ex girlfriend or some rookie cop that can be led around by the nose.

I LOVE that this attorney outsmarted them. He knew exactly what words to say to keep himself from being expunged from the record, but to have the greatest impact upon the jury. It was STUNNING and SHOCKING to hear him say that Stacy told him Drew KILLED Kathleen. :what:

I've just caught up and again I want to thank all of you who have diligently worked on letting us know what was going on in that courtroom. My daughter surprised me this morning with a visit that lasted until after 6 oclock, but I really enjoyed seeing her and I knew that I would be able to read tonight and catch up. The jury is going to have a long wait until Tuesday. A long time to reflect on what they have heard. I know that they will not be able to dismiss this trial from their thoughts, although they will try.

I feel that the defense will definitely try the "spaghetti tactic" just to try to create doubt. Unfortunately, the defense can say anything they want without the burden of proof. I hope and pray that the jury can see through this and do the right thing. This time.

Well then I am so proud of Harry Smith for outwitting the DT at their own game. They thought they could drag him up to the witness chair and make him parrot whatever they wanted him to say?

Keep in mind---Smith was Kathleen's attorney. Imagine how he must have felt when he heard about her 'accident.' He KNEW what happened, imo. And then he hears from Stacy who confirms what he probably suspected all along. And he is on the phone with her, and then he realizes that Drew was within earshot and was yelling " who are you talking to?"

And two days later she is missing? He must have felt terrible.

And then these sleazy defense attorneys, who are representing the killer, try and USE HIM to free their murdering client. They were STUPID to think they could put an experienced attorney on the stand, and get him to say what they wanted. He is not some ex girlfriend or some rookie cop that can be led around by the nose.

I LOVE that this attorney outsmarted them. He knew exactly what words to say to keep himself from being expunged from the record, but to have the greatest impact upon the jury. It was STUNNING and SHOCKING to hear him say that Stacy told him Drew KILLED Kathleen. :what:

:goodpost:

It has been an uphill battle with constant fighting about evidence and testimony.....
The high points for me have been Rev. Schori and Harry Smith.
I also thought that that testimony of Mary, Kathleen's fellow nursing student, as well as Kristen the women who lived in her basement for a time were compelling.

Still, today in the Chicago Trib there were two letters to the editor, one from a DePaul Univ. law professor who said that the laws were changed to try to convict one man and all of the hearsay in this case is counter to everything that he teaches. He said that all we know is that he is an unlikable man who treated his wives poorly. Another says that there is reasonable doubt....there isn't any physical evidence and that we haven't even established that this really was a homicide.
Greenberg said before the press today that this trial is like the board game "Clue" where you guess....it was the butler with a candelabra in the board room or something to that effect. Greenberg, IMO, is the smartest of the legal team. Joe Lopez may be the most engaging and persuasive...Greenberg is a pitbull (no offense to pitbulls) ....he is very intelligent and a real A.H. unapologetically so......he is who he is. Brodsky is a joke and has failed even if they win IMO.
I am a believer in due process. I think that everyone deserves a fair trial.
I don't think that this case has treated Drew unfairly in ANY way. I think that we heard from viable witnesses who knew the victim and experts who spoke to her injuries. The history of threats, the letter to the State's Atty, etc, etc etc......it all points to the killer....Drew Peterson.
I am optimistic, but cautious.....I think that there could be people on that jury who think that because we don't have any evidence at the crime scene (which of course wasn't taken to begin with) that they cannot find him guilty.....some might think that this wasn't even a homicide.

I am hopeful.....and want to remain positive. I am not making a case for his innocence because I think that he is GUILTY AS SIN. I am just scared and am hoping and praying that we are able to convict.

:please:

Day 1, Tuesday, July 31st - 1: Mary Pontarelli (neighbor of KS)
Defense asks for Mistrial re hitman comment in State's OS

Day 2, Wednesday, August 1st - 1: Thomas Pontarelli (neighbor of KS)
Defense asks for Mistrial (#2) re .38 bullet comment

Day 3, Thursday, August 2nd - 5: Louis Oleszkiewcz (EMT), Robert Akin (Locksmith), Michael Newton (BFD-in charge), Michael Johnson (BFD-paramedic),Timothy Berkeley (BFD/Paramedic). Note: Harry Smith, KS's attorney was called, but that was delayed.

Day 4, Friday, August 3rd - 1: Anna Doman (KS's sister)

Day 5, Tuesday, August 7th - 3: Michael VanOver (Dep. Coroner), Robert Deel (ISP Trooper), and James Coughlin (Lt. BPD). Note: Patrick Collins (Investigator) was bumped.

Day 6, Wedneday, August 8th - 2: Patrick Collins (Reitred ISP Sgt) and Kristin Anderson (classmate of KS)

Day 7, Thursday, August 9th - 1: Mary Parks (nursing school friend of KS)

Day 8, Friday, August 10th - 4: Steve Maniaci (boyfriend of KS), Susan Doman (KS's sister), Susan McCauley (girlfriend of DP) and Dominick DeFrancesco (KS neighbor)
Defense asks for Mistrial (#3) re prejudice on ??

Day 9, Tuesday, August 14th - 2: Christopher Long (Forensic Toxicologist) and Teresa Kernc (former Sgt BPD)
Defense asks for Mistrial (#4) re prejudice regarding Order of Protection mentioned

Day 10, Wednesday, August 15th - 2: Teresa Kernc (former Sgt BPD) and Dr. Larry Blum (Forensic pathologist)

Day 11, Thursday, August 16th - 1: Dr. Larry Blum

Day 12, Friday, August 17th - 4: Dr. Gene Neri (KS's Dr), Scott Rosetto (SP's friend) asked to leave stand, Joseph Steadmann (Ins. Adjuster) and Jennifer Schoon (Steve Peterson's girlfriend)

Day 13, Tuesday, August 21st - 1: Dr. mary Case (head trauma expert)

Day 14, Wednesday, August 22nd - 4: Jeffrey Pachter (Hitman), Bryan Falat (ISP Master Sgt), Dr. Vinod Motiani (KS's personal physican) and Nicholas Ponarelli (KS's neighbor)

Day 15, Thursday, August 23rd - 1: Pastor Neil Schori

Day 16, Friday, August 24th - 2: Ray Clark (Sprint Record custodian) and Brian hafner (Lt BPD); Stipulation on Cassandra Cates testimony.

Prosecutors rest

Day 17, Monday, August 27th - 6: Mary Ponarelli (neighbor), Bryan Falat (ISP Master Sgt), Joseph Steadmann (Ins Adj.), Joseph Basile (FBI Spcl Agent-Chicago Office), Bob Sud (BPD) and Darrin Devine (ISP Spcl Agent)
no: Harry Smith (yet!) or Thomas Peterson...

Day 18, Tuesday, August 28th - 4: Dr. Jeffrey Jentzen (Forensic Pathologist), Dr. Vincent DiMaio (Forensic Pathologist), Robin Queen (ISP Special Agent), and Bridget Bertrand (ISP Captain).

Day 19, Wednesday, August 29th - 4: Patrick Collins (ISP Sgt), Eileen Payona ( ISP Officer-Investigative Unit), Harry Smith (KS's divorce attorney) and Thomas Drew Peterson (KS & DP's son)

Defense rests

Through 5 weeks of trial: Prosecutors: 35 witnesses // Defense: 14 witnesses // Mistrial Requests: 4

Day 20, Thursday, August 30th - Prosecutors' Rebuttal Witnesses: Dr. Michael Baden and Dr. Mary Case (both forensic pathologists)

Actually there were 49 witnesses - that "tweet" is wrong!! :fence:

Justice Café ‏@facsmiley
#drewpeterson trial stats to date. Sidebars: 189 (Defense – 81, State – 60, Judge – 48). Jurors have been sent from room 96 times so far

:waitasec: Justice Cafe?? :maddening: Excuse me, but... I'm the one who came up with those figures!!! :banghead:

see next post!

1st Week

Tuesday, July 31st - Prosecutors: 1 /
Jurors out - 1

Wednesday, August 1st - Defense: 1 / Prosecutors: 1 // Total: 2
Jurors out - 2

Thursday, August 2nd - Defense: 1 / Judge: 1 // Total: 2
Jurors out - 7

Friday, August 3rd - Defense: 1 / Prosecutors: 1 // Total: 2
Jurors out - 3

1st Week Total: 7

Defense: 3 / Prosecutors: 3 / Judge: 1
Jurors out: 13

2nd Week

Tuesday, August 7th - Defense: 7 / Prosecutors: 1 / Judge: 4 // Total: 12
Jurors out - 6

Wednesday, August 8th - Defense: 3 / Prosecutors: 8 / Judge: 3 // Total: 14
Jurors out - 6

Thursday, August 9th - Defense: 4 / Prosecutors: 2 // Total: 6
Jurors out - 4

Friday, August 10th - Defense: 16 / Prosecutors: 7 / Judge: 2 // Total: 25
Jurors out - 9

2nd Week Total: 57
Jurors out: 25

Total Sidebars thru 2nd Week: 64

Defense: 33 / Prosecutors: 21 / Judge: 10
Pop-Tart Jurors: 38

3rd Week:

Tuesday, August 14th: Defense - 2 / Prosecutors - 1 / Judge - 1 // Total = 4
Jurors out: 5

Wednesday, August 15th: Defense - 7 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 4 // Total = 13
Jurors out: 8

Thursday, August 16th: Defense - 5 / Prosecutors - 8 / Judge - 5 // Total = 18
Pop-tart Jurors: 8 (this is a correction!)

Friday, August 17th: Defense - 4 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 6 // Total = 12
Pop-tart Jurors: 5 (ditto, correction)

3rd Week Total: 47
Jurors out: 26

Total Sidesbars thru Week 3 = 111

Defense - 51 / Prosecutors - 34 / Judge - 26
Pop-Tart Jurors: 64

4th Week

Tuesday, August 21st: Defense - 8 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 3 // Total = 13
Pop-Tart Jurors: 5

Wednesday, August 22nd: Defense - 6 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 3 // Total = 11
Pop-Tart Jurors: 4

Thursday, August 23rd: Defense - 2 / Prosecutors - 1 / Judge - 2 // Total = 5
Pop-Tart Jurors: 2

Friday, August 24th: Defense - 0 (!!) / Prosecutors - 4 / Judge - 2 // Total = 6

Total for 4th Week: 35

Total Sidebars thru Week 4 = 146

Defense - 67 / Prosecutors - 43 / Judge - 36
Pop-Tart Jurors out: 77 times

Week 5:
Monday, August 27th: Defense - 4 / Prosecutors - 6 / Judge - 4 // Total: 14
Jurors out: 5 times

Tuesday, August 28th: Defense - 5 / Prosecutors - 5 / Judge - 3 // Total: 13
Jurors out: 7 times

Wednesday, August 29th: Defense - 5 / Prosecutors - 6 / Judge - 5 // Total: 16

Total Sidebars for 5th Week: 43

Grand total for trial: 189 Sidebars
Defense - 81 / Prosecutors - 60 / Judge - 48
Pop-tart Jurors out 96 times

Rebuttal
Thursday, August 30th: Defense -7 / Prosecutors - 9 / Judge - 0 // Total: 16

Total Sidebars for trial: 205
Defense - 88 / Prosecutors - 69 / Judge - 48
Pop-Tart Jurors out 101 times

Defense wins on sidebars!! :fence:

edited to add: and this was a LOT of work!!

1st Week

Tuesday, July 31st - Prosecutors: 1 /
Jurors out - 1

Wednesday, August 1st - Defense: 1 / Prosecutors: 1 // Total: 2
Jurors out - 2

Thursday, August 2nd - Defense: 1 / Judge: 1 // Total: 2
Jurors out - 7

Friday, August 3rd - Defense: 1 / Prosecutors: 1 // Total: 2
Jurors out - 3

1st Week Total: 7

Defense: 3 / Prosecutors: 3 / Judge: 1

2nd Week

Tuesday, August 7th - Defense: 7 / Prosecutors: 1 / Judge: 4 // Total: 12
Jurors out - 6

Wednesday, August 8th - Defense: 3 / Prosecutors: 8 / Judge: 3 // Total: 14
Jurors out - 6

Thursday, August 9th - Defense: 4 / Prosecutors: 2 // Total: 6
Jurors out - 4

Friday, August 10th - Defense: 16 / Prosecutors: 7 / Judge: 2 // Total: 25
Jurors out - 9

2nd Week Total: 57
Jurors out: 25

Total Sidebars thru 2nd Week: 64

Defense: 33 / Prosecutors: 21 / Judge: 10
Pop-Tart Jurors: 38

3rd Week:

Tuesday, August 14th: Defense - 2 / Prosecutors - 1 / Judge - 1 // Total = 4
Jurors out: 5

Wednesday, August 15th: Defense - 7 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 4 // Total = 13
Jurors out: 8

Thursday, August 16th: Defense - 5 / Prosecutors - 8 / Judge - 5 // Total = 18
Pop-tart Jurors: 8 (this is a correction!)

Friday, August 17th: Defense - 4 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 6 // Total = 12
Pop-tart Jurors: 5 (ditto, correction)

3rd Week Total: 47
Jurors out: 26

Total Sidesbars thru Week 3 = 111

Defense - 51 / Prosecutors - 34 / Judge - 26
Pop-Tart Jurors: 64

4th Week

Tuesday, August 21st: Defense - 8 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 3 // Total = 13
Pop-Tart Jurors: 5

Wednesday, August 22nd: Defense - 6 / Prosecutors - 2 / Judge - 3 // Total = 11
Pop-Tart Jurors: 4

Thursday, August 23rd: Defense - 2 / Prosecutors - 1 / Judge - 2 // Total = 5

Friday, August 24th: Defense - 0 (!!) / Prosecutors - 4 / Judge - 2 // Total = 6

Total for 4th Week: 35

Total Sidebars thru Week 4 = 146

Defense - 67 / Prosecutors - 43 / Judge - 36
Pop-Tart Jurors out: 77 times

Week 5:
Monday, August 27th: Defense - 4 / Prosecutors - 6 / Judge - 4 // Total: 14

Tuesday, August 28th: Defense - 5 / Prosecutors - 5 / Judge - 3 // Total: 13

Wednesday, August 29th: Defense - 5 / Prosecutors - 6 / Judge - 5 // Total: 16

Total Sidebars for 5th Week: 43

Grand total for trial: 189 Sidebars
Defense - 81 / Prosecutors - 60 / Judge - 48
Pop-tart Jurors out 96 times

Defense wins on sidebars!! :fence:

edited to add: and this was a LOT of work!!

Niner,

THANK YOU :tyou::tyou::tyou::cheer::cheer::cheer:

I know it is a lot of time consuming, detailed work. We all appreciate it.

I know I do. :smile:

Just a FYI - all the Witness and Sidebar stuff can be found here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181291"]Total Sidebars for Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

:rocker:

Niner,

THANK YOU :tyou::tyou::tyou::cheer::cheer::cheer:

I know it is a lot of time consuming, detailed work. We all appreciate it.

I know I do. :smile:

And I appreciate YOU, as I got all that info, YOU and others, of course!

:gthanks: ALL!

More :newbie:

:welcome4:

luvhocky, thelocator77 and caligma

:greetings:

IMO, whether a tub leaks water depends on what type of stopper is used. I can't stand the push kind because they often do not close properly. It's been a long time since I have used the screw down type. Right now I use a flat rubber stopper and when secured properly it will not leak any water. The water would have to evaporate for the tub to empty and that wouldn't happen in 24-48 or 72 hours.

The jury was never presented with info on the type of tub stopper and info on the tub were they? I have missed some of the trial, so unsure what if anything came in about the tub with regards to water and draining.

As you always do, Cubby, you make some very good points & raise some tuff things to consider. If you had been on the stand as a witness, saying just what you said above, it would have definitely put one more lock on DP's cell door. IMO, this is not a small thing here. Just how quickly did that water leave the tub? If she fell early before it was full, why wasn't the water still running? If it was as full as she wanted, then the plug must have been ker-rap -- in which case she would have done something to change it since she was apparently a big tub bath fan. Does not compute. Sloppy investigation if no one looked more closely at this...

I don't recall any evidence presented on the drainage time or type of stopper or anything at all in that vein, either, Cubby. Maybe some of the other Sleuthers did not miss what we both may have. :waitasec:

Just not buyin' it.
icon9.gif

Good one, Cubby!!!!:floorlaugh:
Now will have that tune in my head all day.

abbie

Well, 99 bottles of beer will take care of that!!! But I think that poor jury needs them first.

I have nevah seen anything like this.... those poor jurors. They were acting out -- yes, it was disrespectful -- but dayam, I can't blame 'em for it. Standing up in the courtroom & screaming would have been a bit worse...

ps: Guess what tune I'm humming now, Abbie. Dayamit.
icon10.gif

Hoping for a G Verdict as we all are. Also hoping we hear from the Jurors. Most interested in what they thought of all the Courtroom antics. (Only if they render a G verdict) :jail::please:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webberry