Dunkin' Donuts yanks Rachel Ray Ad

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I told myself I was going to stay out of this but I can't help it. All I have seen written here over and over is about what the Palestinians have done to the Israeli's and never the other way around. The American media have done a good job of convincing people the Palestinians are awful, reactionary terrorists. If you did the research you would find that in 2007 for every 1 Israeli civilian death there were 25 Palestinian deaths. In 2007 5,848 people were killed as a result of the conflict. Of that, 1,024 were Israeli and 4,228 were Palestinian.

The irony of this is a lot of the Palestinians who have suffered are Palestinian Christians. When the modern state of Israel was created there were 400,000 Palestinian Christians - today that number is about 60,000. There villages have been destroyed, they have been starved, died of disease, murdered.
People seem to forget that the Palestinians had their country forcefully taken away from them. Their villages were invaded and citizens murdered in cold blood, women raped, thousands were rounded up and imprisioned forced to work in labor camps under deplorable conditions, their homes, places of worship burned, they were transferred into cramped spaces which quickly became disease ridden ghettos, they had no protection under the new laws. After the invasion and under the Camp David Accords they are corralled into a small sections which are not connected yet their travel is limited by the Israeli's. The land given to them is mostly infertile farm land, with limited water sources. Israeli laws represent the Jewish only. The Arab-Israeli's have no protection under Israeli Basic Laws and they have no rights as citizens - in their own country nonetheless. These initially ruthless implementations by Israel are still in effect today; they have no recognized nation, no power over their daily lives, they are economically strangled, schools, businesses, homes, mosques are burned, they are afflicted by curfews, their travel is limited by checkpoints, roadblocks, random curfews, electric fences and separation walls. Despite those violations of their rights they live under the threat and reality of being bombed, disposed and shot at random by most of which are American supplied weapons. Countless numbers of men and women have been carted off never to be seen again. Of course the excuse after bombing or shooting Palestinian citizens is always the same; there was a threat of a suicide bomber or an insurgency. They do not have an army or military yet they are being attacked and persecuted daily so what are they going to do? They use suicide bombers and other terrorist tactics against Israel. It is their fundamental right to defend their country and their country's citizens. Why is it when Palestinians retaliate it is a terrorist act yet when Israeli tanks roll into a village or Israeli planes drop bombs on the houses of innocent people it is acceptable? When the Palenstinians retaliate, yes, Israeli citizens die and I think that is sad too. I have nothing against the Israeli citizens. But one cannot expect them to do nothing when they are being forced to live in such deplorable conditions in their own country. Since the invasion and creation of the Israeli state their intentions towards the Palestinians is pretty clear - they do not want them there at all and have and still are committing unbelievable attrocities in front of the whole world. This all started because zionist believed that basically Palestine was historically their homeland because of what is said in the Bible. They thought because it was recorded this land is entitled to them so they forcefully take it and then persecute the inhabitants of that land every since yet their actions are seen (mainly in the West) as being acceptable especially since so many of the Palestinians who were initally effected and murdered were Christians really blows my mind. The Western media has been brillant at making terrorist and Palestinian synonamous and have instilled in the public a gross mis-perception of what is happening because of our ties with Israel and our weapons and money is going to support these attrocities because we have our own interests in the region to protect. The propaganda regaring the Palestinian crisis is overwhelming. All any interested person has to do is visit the UN website or any human rights group, Amensty International, etc and it becomes quite clear the misproportionate use of force Israel is using and how many people have died as a result.

The issue of Rachel Ray's scarf is the embodiment of the results of the western propaganda machine. They have been successful at persuading Americans to think of terrorist when they think of Palestine. The fact that she was wearing a scarf that merely resembled those worn by Palestinians was enough to get the ad pulled off the air is really shows our immaturity as a nation and our unbelievable ethnocentrism. It is absolutely absurd and it is offensive but for other reason's.

I am sorry for going on and on. Some of the people's comments on this thread which are ripe with racism and ignorance really got to me. I realize that at the moment I am being a little reactionary. While I support the Palestinians I don't hate Israeli's; I hate what their gov't has done and I hate the US's involvement in the whole situation and I hate how mis-informed so many people are. Simply because they hear what they hear on the news and take it at that instead of doing some independent research and even if their opinion stays the same at least they are getting both sides of the story. Things are never as black and white as they seem on the nightly news.

See, now, that is just plain ugly and racist. Why not just wear something celebrating something you support instead? If you wore a pro-McCain (or whatever) shirt, nobody would care. Why would anyone want to be all nasty and racist? Yuck.

A handful of people here seem intent on expressing hateful racist ideas. I don't know why. If it is a story about African-Americans, I see the same people yelling '' or 'gangster'. If it is a story about Hispanic-Americans, some people are blatantly hostile and determinedly racist even when the person is a victim of a horrible crime. Racism is honestly worse than the crime of murder, because it is insidious and carries hatred on down through generations. It is un-American at it's core.

Who is anyone to decide what a person in America should wear or what political ideas they ought to express? In America, we are free to decide for ourselves what to wear and who we support. There are many people here who are pro-Jewish, yet abhor how the State of Israel has treated the Palestinian people. Not everybody buys into the right-wing, hate-radio version of international affairs. In America, there is room for all opinions. Wouldn't you agree?

Who cares what a person in America wears? I was once with a group of friends, and some idiot (who thought he had the right to tell other Americans how to dress) started giving one of my friends grief about his red converse high-tops with his cut-off jeans swim trunks and his brightly-colored T-shirt.

The ignorant man snuffed and huffed and said, 'What's that, the costume of your native country?'

My friend responded, 'Yes. That's right. I'm an American. I can wear whatever I want.'

Ha!

Of all the people to intentionally insulting them, our Rachel Ray.NOT!!!!!!!!!
GIVE ME A BREAK.

This is getting as bad as the McCarthy era.
People couldn't talk about just anything in those days..
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAmccarthyism.htm

See, now, that is just plain ugly and racist. Why not just wear something celebrating something you support instead? If you wore a pro-McCain (or whatever) shirt, nobody would care. Why would anyone want to be all nasty and racist? Yuck.

See, that's the thing. In my opinion the Palestinian scarf carries no less of a racist tone than most people would consider the Confederate flag.

I can scream from the roof tops all day that it's a modified American flag, and doesn't mean anything to me but southern heritage, you can scream all day that it screams slavery to you.

Nobody here is saying that you can't wear what you want. This is indeed America.

And, it is inherently American to speak out and boycott a company and speak your mind if you don't agree with something.

Our system works!

(I'm using the Confederate flag as a comparison because other than the swastika, I can't think of anything else that comes close)

I told myself I was going to stay out of this but I can't help it. All I have seen written here over and over is about what the Palestinians have done to the Israeli's and never the other way around. The American media have done a good job of convincing people the Palestinians are awful, reactionary terrorists. If you did the research you would find that in 2007 for every 1 Israeli civilian death there were 25 Palestinian deaths. In 2007 5,848 people were killed as a result of the conflict. Of that, 1,024 were Israeli and 4,228 were Palestinian.

I don't want to get into this here, but please believe we hear plenty in the mainstream media when an Israeli rocket kills a Palestinian.

We hear about the Palestinian "holocaust" and I'll say here what I said in the PP, for people who believe that Palestinians are suffering a "holocaust" at the hands of the Israelis, I'd like to know how you explain their numbers tripling the way they have?

The Palestinians have elected Hamas as their representatives, good luck with that.

See, that was my first thought, not that it was a symbol of anything, but who in their right minds let that child walk around with a scarf wearing a short sleeved shirt?

I still don't care about the symbols. I'm a Native woman with red hair who goes to a Jewish temple wearing a Salwar Kameez. And yes, I cover my head with a sal, some days out in public, some days only at Temple.

I've never, ever had anyone say anything, make fun or tell me or say I'm an idiot because I choose to wear something they would not. And if they did I'd not say anything. It's MY choice.

Maybe it's because I live in an area where folks can dress up like angels with wings and tell you the end of the world is coming while holding foam tombstones, or paint themselves silver, slap on a cowboy hat and earn money in the street, or think they are the worlds next greatest vampire by wearing velvet cloaks and bouncing bar....folks just don't care what you wear.

I don't really care either (in public). I admit I find it jarring to see a woman wearing a chador in my local Publix, because it reminds me of a caged bird. I immediately want to rip it off and launch into a speech on oppression and domestic abuse, but remind myself that it's her decision and my opinion likely wouldn't be welcome.

If you take the time to google it, you can find some wonderful western designers who are trying to convince the public that wearing a Burberry burkha is just the thing for fall.

Where was the picture taken? It looks an awful lot like Washington D.C. area though I was only there once. Does this have anything to do with the scarf and a political statement.
I thought this whole deal was stupid too until seeing where the picture seems to be taken. Anyone know? It looks familiar.

I dont know but that's a good point.

It may be the cherry blossoms, but it does look like DC. Don't ask me exactly where, though.

This thread needs more Rachel Ray hating. :)

Ok, so watched about 15 minutes of the 30 minute meal program last night.
My snarky teenager pointed out that her belly sticks out further than her *advertiser censored*.

But, to her credit, I did actually hear her say "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" before reverting back to her EVOO cute-speak.

Ever heard what Anthony Bourdain has to say about her? (I love that man)

He despises her and constantly criticises her inability to actually cook. In public, and often. He said something on one of his programs how this made actually having to work with her for a show, "awkward" to say the least.

lol

I told myself I was going to stay out of this but I can't help it. snip

The issue of Rachel Ray's scarf is the embodiment of the results of the western propaganda machine. They have been successful at persuading Americans to think of terrorist when they think of Palestine. The fact that she was wearing a scarf that merely resembled those worn by Palestinians was enough to get the ad pulled off the air is really shows our immaturity as a nation and our unbelievable ethnocentrism. It is absolutely absurd and it is offensive but for other reason's.
I am sorry for going on and on. Some of the people's comments on this thread which are ripe with racism and ignorance really got to me. I realize that at the moment I am being a little reactionary. While I support the Palestinians I don't hate Israeli's; I hate what their gov't has done and I hate the US's involvement in the whole situation and I hate how mis-informed so many people are. Simply because they hear what they hear on the news and take it at that instead of doing some independent research and even if their opinion stays the same at least they are getting both sides of the story. Things are never as black and white as they seem on the nightly news.

Thanks. From one who didn't see any resemblance, but knows subliminal information is purposefully woven into many ad contexts, I wonder if the scarf is inserted as a symbol or is it just a really bad wardrobe choice? If it is a symbol, I wonder what the primary driver for the ad company is here. Controversy to raise web hits and public name recognition? Using the dark-complected Ray to publicize and call attention to the Palestinian people and their treatment?

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful article.

C6

The irony of this is a lot of the Palestinians who have suffered are Palestinian Christians. When the modern state of Israel was created there were 400,000 Palestinian Christians - today that number is about 60,000. There villages have been destroyed, they have been starved, died of disease, murdered.
People seem to forget that the Palestinians had their country forcefully taken away from them. Their villages were invaded and citizens murdered in cold blood, women raped, thousands were rounded up and imprisioned forced to work in labor camps under deplorable conditions, their homes, places of worship burned, they were transferred into cramped spaces which quickly became disease ridden ghettos, they had no protection under the new laws. After the invasion and under the Camp David Accords they are corralled into a small sections which are not connected yet their travel is limited by the Israeli's. The land given to them is mostly infertile farm land, with limited water sources. Israeli laws represent the Jewish only. The Arab-Israeli's have no protection under Israeli Basic Laws and they have no rights as citizens - in their own country nonetheless. These initially ruthless implementations by Israel are still in effect today; they have no recognized nation, no power over their daily lives, they are economically strangled, schools, businesses, homes, mosques are burned, they are afflicted by curfews, their travel is limited by checkpoints, roadblocks, random curfews, electric fences and separation walls. Despite those violations of their rights they live under the threat and reality of being bombed, disposed and shot at random by most of which are American supplied weapons. Countless numbers of men and women have been carted off never to be seen again. Of course the excuse after bombing or shooting Palestinian citizens is always the same; there was a threat of a suicide bomber or an insurgency. They do not have an army or military yet they are being attacked and persecuted daily so what are they going to do? They use suicide bombers and other terrorist tactics against Israel. It is their fundamental right to defend their country and their country's citizens. Why is it when Palestinians retaliate it is a terrorist act yet when Israeli tanks roll into a village or Israeli planes drop bombs on the houses of innocent people it is acceptable? When the Palenstinians retaliate, yes, Israeli citizens die and I think that is sad too. I have nothing against the Israeli citizens. But one cannot expect them to do nothing when they are being forced to live in such deplorable conditions in their own country. Since the invasion and creation of the Israeli state their intentions towards the Palestinians is pretty clear - they do not want them there at all and have and still are committing unbelievable attrocities in front of the whole world. This all started because zionist believed that basically Palestine was historically their homeland because of what is said in the Bible. They thought because it was recorded this land is entitled to them so they forcefully take it and then persecute the inhabitants of that land every since yet their actions are seen (mainly in the West) as being acceptable especially since so many of the Palestinians who were initally effected and murdered were Christians really blows my mind. The Western media has been brillant at making terrorist and Palestinian synonamous and have instilled in the public a gross mis-perception of what is happening because of our ties with Israel and our weapons and money is going to support these attrocities because we have our own interests in the region to protect. The propaganda regaring the Palestinian crisis is overwhelming. All any interested person has to do is visit the UN website or any human rights group, Amensty International, etc and it becomes quite clear the misproportionate use of force Israel is using and how many people have died as a result.

Thank you for your insightful post, gaia. You're speaking the truth and I appreciate that. :clap:

This all started because zionist believed that basically Palestine was historically their homeland because of what is said in the Bible. They thought because it was recorded this land is entitled to them so they forcefully take it and then persecute the inhabitants of that land every since yet their actions are seen (mainly in the West) as being acceptable especially since so many of the Palestinians who were initally effected and murdered were Christians really blows my mind.

(Paragraphs are your friend)

A) Why isn't Jordan getting involved with Egypt to "free" the Palestinians?

B) Does it escape you that the Palestinians believe that they have a religious right to the same "homeland"?

C) Your use of "zion/ist" (lower case) and "Palestinian" (upper) does make me wonder about your own prejudice.

And, let us never forget the Palestinians celebrating 9/11. I'll be happy to provide the pics for that. :rolleyes:

I did not think twice when I saw the pic. It was just a scarf. Living in Fl we really do not dress up that much here at least not in my circle of friends.
What I hate seeing is someones underwear and their pants around the middle of their buttocks (Forrest Gump pronouncation).
Our nation is facing some serious issues in the near future & the sheeple better wake up. The media & the propaganda machine(gaia227) play us every chance they get. Personally all the PC stuff at times really gets to me. After awhile enough is enough. It's like they try anything to throw us off the important things at hand They are playing on America's short attention span disorder.

Well, you did open a can of worms Gaia, but since you did I feel justified in giving another viewpoint.

I am not a pushover who believes ANYONES propaganda. In 2004 I wanted to know the truth regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. I began to research it and the following are some of the books that I read. Of all these books the one written by Joan Peters is the most significant. The reason it is so is that she was the mistress of Arafat. She set out to write a book proving that the land belonged to the Egyptians. In doing so she was faced with facts that were so overwhelming that she simply had to admit she was wrong. The land belongs to the Israeli’s.

These are the books I recommend to anyone in their search for clarity; From Time Immemorial, Joan Peters, The History of Israel, Howard Sachar and The Middle East, Bernard Lewis.

Israel belongs to the Jews. The facts are that the Jews have occupied the land referred to as either Palestine or Israel for over 3 thousand years of recorded history. Sure they have been invaded and ruled over by many different people and empires. In 625 BC, they were invaded and ruled by the Babylonians, then the Medo-Persians in 558 BC, followed by the Greco-Macedonians in 333 BC, and the Roman's in 31 BC and in 638 AD they were invaded and occupied by the Muslims. The Jews did not invade Israel or Palestine, as their forefathers have lived there continuously from time immemorial. Beginning in 1890 AD, many Jews began returning to Israel, based on a promise that they could have their own home land, but they never displaced anyone.

In fact the Muslims followed them because Jews began settling in barren unpopulated Israel, on land purchased from absent Arab landowners, and began creating industry, agriculture and economic opportunities. In 1917 the League of Nations decided to create a homeland for the Jews. The Balfour Declaration confirmed this intention in December 1917.

The land set aside by the League of Nations and transferred to the administration of Britain included the present land of Israel and the land now known as Jordan. The League of Nations and Britain did not confiscate land inhabited by Arabs and designate it for the Jews. Furthermore Britain mishandled their mandate and allocated the area of Jordan to the Arabs contrary to the intent of the League of Nations. Today, the Jews occupy less than 10% of the land that was originally set-aside for them by the League of Nations. The Arabs attacked Israel in 1948, 1956, 1967 and 1973 and Muslim violence against the Jews continues to this day.

The reason for this aggression is quite simple. Muslims believe that the earth belongs to Muhammad and Allah and any land ever occupied and inhabited by Muslims belongs to them forever.

As far as the “UN” is concerned they believe that Jerusalem should be an “international city” ruled by them. If that is the case they will soon start to make all large cities “International”, such as New York and London. Can you say “One World Government?”

While I appreciate your right to say what ever you want in this FREE country, could you please provide links to data by a reliable source regarding the Jews raping Palestinians? That would violate the laws of Torah Observant Jews and I will need to see research on that.

Facts only, with links, not someone’s emotional discourse.

With all due respect to your beliefs, these are mine. All information here can be found in the above books. Some of it was found in my study. It is the opinions of noted historians.

Thank you for your input!

I began to research it and the following are some of the books that I read. Of all these books the one written by Joan Peters is the most significant. The reason it is so is that she was the mistress of Arafat. She set out to write a book proving that the land belonged to the Egyptians. In doing so she was faced with facts that were so overwhelming that she simply had to admit she was wrong. The land belongs to the Israeli’s.

That sounds facinating, and I will be looking for it!

I know you will love it! :)

I found it!

"no fewer than 189 pages are taken up by appendices, notes, bibliography and index. Together with 412 pages of text, comprising the book."

Sounds like she did her research! I will be ordering this!

Thank you so much!

Thank you Gaia, for your post!

Thank you Curiosity Cat, as well. However, I'd like to point out that Gaia's post dealt mainly with the plight of Arab Christians, while yours seems to focus solely on the Muslim point of view (regarding ownership of Palestine/Israel). Would you like to address the issue of Palestinian Christians (who have certainly been living in the area longer than the Muslims)? Thanks!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jzouzie
Back