Dylan Redwine Case Discussion Thread/Dylan's Remains Found, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tracked down transcripts from two NG shows, one with ER, one without. I looked at all the references to the word "phone." IMO, none of these references make it seem less likely that Dylan would have texted RN in the morning; in fact they make it seem more likely to me. If there was some other context in those shows that you are alluding to, I'd be interested in seeing/reading it.

I know this is going to be a bit long, but here are all the extracts that reference Dylan's phone from two NG transcripts (minus a little bit of redundancy):

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1211/28/ng.01.html

"JOSTAD: Yes, he did have a cell phone, according to his mom, Elaine Redwine. And she said, too, just the fact that -- according to cell records she`s seen, the fact that there was no activity on Dylan`s cell phone after 8:00 PM is very unusual. She says this is a tech-savvy kid who is always texting."

"BENDER: My understanding is -- and our investigators have checked his cell phone. Also, cell phones have GPS`s, so if they`re turned on, that gives a general location of the person. And we have been following up on those right along, and there`s been no activity on his phone whatsoever since Sunday evening sometime."

"MARC KLAAS, KLAAS KIDS FOUNDATION (via telephone): Well, first of all, Nancy, people are pointing a lot of fingers at the father because he was the last person to see Dylan alive, also because law enforcement is not treating this like a runaway, by any means, not if they`re taking cadaver dogs into lakes, not if they`re running multi-jurisdictional searches.

And also, the father is being very mean towards the mother and the brother. He`s not contacting them. He`s not providing any information to them. He`s a reluctant witness, as far as the media goes.

So I can understand why people would point fingers at this guy. And I think that he has to be a lot more forthcoming if we`re going to have a chance of finding Dylan.

I don`t believe this little boy ran away. His cell phone, apparently, was turned off immediately, which was out of character. So nothing is adding up in this case."

" O`DONNELL: Right, well, the boy was last seen at 11:30, the father told investigators that he started his search on his own for about four hours, didn`t report him missing until the early evening on that Monday. The most bizarre thing about this case, though, Nancy, is that Dylan, a prolific texter as most 13-year-old boys are who have cell phones -- his phone was not used since 8:00 p.m. Sunday night. His phone was not even on after 8:00 p.m. Sunday night."

" GRACE: Let`s analyze what we know.

OK. Bethany Marshall, psychoanalyst. Bethany, my little boy just turned 5, and when people come to the door, I haven`t given him an iPad or nothing like that. But when people come to the door, he goes, I`m going to need your cell phone now because he knows how to look up games on an iPhone and find stuff. He keeps trying to get my BlackBerry to look up games. So when they`re into it, they`re into it. What does this mean?

BETHANY MARSHALL, PSYCHOANALYST, AUTHOR OF 'DEALBREAKERS': Yes. Well, and also this little boy`s older brother Cory, the 21-year-old, said that the little boy was glued to his cell phone and that if he was ever in trouble or needed anything he would`ve called his older brother, mother, and stepfather. And the fact that he hasn`t reached out does not speak well. "

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1212/03/ng.01.html

"[Elaine] REDWINE: Yes. Dylan always kept in touch with me because he knew I was the one paying the phone bill, and if he wouldn`t keep in touch with me, I would take his phone away and he didn`t want that. So he made sure that he always -- there was -- there was never a time I couldn`t account for where Dylan was because he was very good at letting me know where he was at all times."

" GRACE: What`s this business about bad cell reception in that area? Was there bad cell reception? Did you have a problem hearing from him back on Labor Day, the last time he had visited his dad?

REDWINE: You know, there is bad cell reception, but texts always seemed to come through. So while you can`t necessarily speak with someone on the phone...

GRACE: That`s true.

REDWINE: ... it doesn`t seem like I ever had an issue getting texts from Dylan up there.

GRACE: You know, that`s true. That`s a very common experience. You cannot get a cell to make a cell phone call, but you can get texts in and out. You can even get texts up in the air on an airplane somehow.

REDWINE: Right."

"[NG]… We are taking your calls. To Ben Levitan, telecommunications expert joining me out of Raleigh tonight. Ben, explain to me this phenomenon that his mom is talking about that we`re all familiar with, and that is a lot of times, you cannot make your cell phone work, but you can get texts out. So all this business about it`s a bad texting area, you can`t get a cell, well, guess what? You can send a text.

BEN LEVITAN, TELECOMMUNICATIONS EXPERT: That`s absolutely right, Nancy. The texting goes over a different line than your voice calls go over. And that line is stronger, and it`s a very strong digital line. So you would - - you will be able to send a text. You will be able to call 911. And a lot of times, you know, you`ll be able to dial a call, but the call won`t go through.

GRACE: So wait, wait. I`m just a lawyer, Ben Levitan.

LEVITAN: I`m sorry.

GRACE: What do you mean it`s a different line? You`ve got one cell phone. The text will always go through. You can send and receive texts, but you cannot make a phone call on that cell phone. Why?

LEVITAN: Well, because, Nancy, there is -- there`s -- your cell phone is a radio. And you have a -- you have a radio connection to talk on. So, you know, your cell phone is like a little broadcast station. You speak into a microphone, and you are broadcasting your voice to a cell tower. Also you have a radio receiver that you hold on your ear. The cell tower broadcasts to you, and then there`s a third line which controls the cell phone. And that`s used -- that`s used just by the cell phone network to send your telephone messages to ring, to send you caller I.D., and to send you text messages.

That line is much more robust. So that`s why, very often, if you cannot -- if you cannot make a voice call, you still can send out a text message because it`s going over a different line. "

" GRACE: OK, so that`s normal. What about the cell phone and the backpack and other belongings?

[Elaine] REDWINE: It was my understanding from his dad that everything Dylan had was in his backpack including his cell phone, his iPod, his iPod charger, his cell phone charger, all of his clothes. So we had to actually make a trip to get some of Dylan`s clothes from where we live in Colorado Springs because it was my understanding there were no clothes at his dad`s house. "

"Miss Redwine, I was thinking about the way this timeline is unfolding. I know he texted you when he touched down, that was at 7:06 p.m. The next morning he was going to go meet some of his little friends. He`s got a lot of friends in the area from having lived there. Did any of his friends hear from him that morning?

REDWINE: No, not that I`m aware of. And I`ve spoken to some of his friends, but no. It doesn`t appear that anyone`s heard from Dylan since Sunday evening.

GRACE: Elaine, is there a landline there in the home?

REDWINE: Yes, there is.

GRACE: So if he wanted to, he couldn`t make his cell phone get a proper signal, he could have used the landline to call his friends, right?

REDWINE: That would be my assumption as well, yes.

GRACE: Do you know if there is Internet in the home? Does the dad have a laptop or a desktop?

REDWINE: Yes, he does.

GRACE: Did anybody get any e-mails from Dylan?

REDWINE: Not that I`m aware of, no. I certainly didn`t, and I don`t think anyone else did either.

GRACE: How unusual is this for Dylan? Isn`t -- doesn`t he love to text?

REDWINE: It`s extremely unusual for Dylan. I mean, you know, he wanted me to get him a smartphone so bad and in retrospect I wish I would have gotten him one quicker, but it was what I was going to get him for Christmas, what I`m going to get him for Christmas because he kind of outgrew his little -- his phone that he had. It was just a little flip phone. And he was just - - that thing was smoking by the time he was done. "

Well, I think that's pretty clear then, right all? Tons of back up that it would be very out of character for Dylan to suddenly stop texting.

I'm stunned yet not. Child support is worked out by a formula it depends on how many nights a child is supposed to be in a parents care and their incomes, whether the child spends the allotted time with the other parent or not is another thing.

to have it changed would have required EH to take it back to court, sometimes its easier (and safer) not to upset the status quo. IMO she let it ride because recouping a few dollars was not as important as her childrens security and safety was.

As a family law attorney I can attest to this. From various things that parties have said and other info that we cannot link, the picture appears to be that ER and MR had a closer to joint custody arrangement but that due to travel, he had a hard time exercising it. She then moved and changed child support at the same time.

I am basing it upon Dylan's own words to Ryan and the level of enthusiasm, seen in the texts on Sunday. Dylan was very eager about visiting his friends, and was adamant that he wanted to arrive early the next morning. And he himself told Ryan he would call over and over to be let in, if Ryan was asleep and did not wake up to let him in. Given this text exchange, it makes no sense to me that he never replied to that text the next morning.

Of course if he was already dead it makes sense.

I can't help but think that the lack of the backpack on the mountain top means it was not with Dylan when Dylan left the house, either alive or otherwise. If he had it with him, why not leave it up there as well as anyplace else? I think the backpack was an afterthought and that putting all of Dylan's things into it was a mistake by the perp, as I can't think of a good reason why Dylan would have taken everything he had to go out that morning. Would have seemed much more normal to have found some items of Dylan's strewn about the living room-just as items from his backpack should be strewn about near his remains, if he had it with him.

I agree. I believe a panicked murderer made the ill thought out decision to get rid of every trace of Dylan, every trace of evidence of him. I think part of that was panic and part was guilt.

Please give examples of Marks closeness to Dylan. I can't seem to find any.

Everything I read said he saw him 3 -4 times a year before he moved.
After the Labor Day visit, after the move there was zero communication between the two. Which I find absolutely bizarre considering Dylan had his own cell phone.

Mark himself stated in his interview with Tricia that despite attempting to contact Dylan repeatedly after the court date, Dylan refused to communicate with his father. IMO, that really upset MR.

I don't believe Mark when he says Dylan chose not to get up.

Me either. But I do believe he tried very hard, for over an hour, as he stated on the radio show, to "wake" Dylan. Until he realized Dylan was never going to "wake up" again.

If it helps, I sent a pm to Salem last night about that particular subject. The reply I received leads me to believe we can't discuss it or post about that topic at all. I would assume that would include a transcription. I think that subject is the reason it wasn't transcribed.

Someone please let me know if the transcription can be posted in the media thread and I can help out.

Does anyone have a reference to Dylan's specific complaint? I vaguely remember ER saying something about this?

Dylan didn't tell ER he was dizzy or wasn't filling well. He send her an e-mail with an unhappy smilie face in it.

We know from September until Dylan was <modsnip> that Dylan had ignored Mark's attempts at contact . So when I take that into account I can not fathom Dylan sleeping in on Monday morning . He wanted nothing to do with Mark from what I have read and so he would of been raring to go IMO - if he was indeed that tired he could of crashed at R's for a few hours when he arrived .

:cow:

I listened to the radio show with Mark and Elaine. Mark said... Dogs tracked Dylan out of the house and for 50 feet then lost his scent.

If we could get independent corroboration on that perhaps that would confirm Dylan made it at least to the outside of Marks house.

I say perhaps because I'd want to know if only Dylan's backpack could be the source the dogs found and tracked.

Since ER brought Dylan's clothes for the dogs to use, then makes sense to me that the dogs might track the backpack to the lake since it contained his clothes. But that's just a guess

Gitana1. Omg. I think I understand what you mean by him not being able to wake him up. Was he drugged for other purposes and accidentalky died? Good god.

I remember seeing photos of some others who were searching alone on June 1 on Middle Mountain.

This whole thing is convoluted that regardless of my personal opinions, I am basically waiting for LE's next release of data. I'm glad they now have the SAR team searching the mountain without any public members being allowed.

I don't know of anyone else who went out searching alone. Where did you see pictures of lone searchers? Do you remember?

It seems very odd to go out to a remote location, alone, to search. JMO

If he was drugged, then it happened in CS or on the plane because he said his head felt ' weird' iirc when he got off the plane. MR did not cause that feeling.

I assume Elaine hasn't liked Mark for a long time before Dylan disappeared. I don't blame her for being pissed at Mark for Dylan disappearing when he had custody of him but that may be why she feels his story doesn't make sense to her. She didn't like him to begin with and he looses Dylan. I'm not surprised that she see's everything that he did is wrong and didn't make sense.

I thought that they didn't communicate with each other except thru their attorney's before Dylan went missing. MOO.

Why would Mark need to go through an attorney to speak to Dylan? Dylan has his own cell phone. Phone lines go both ways, <modsnip>.

I don't think that Elaine is out for revenge, but I think that she may be wrong in assuming that Mark is guilty. MOO.

Could she be possibly wrong? absolutely. sure. Anything is possible.

That doesn't mean she doesn't have a exceptionally good reasons to believe that he did.

Revenge is a powerful motive.

Another motive could be that he and Dylan used to be close, but after the divorce and subsequent move, Dylan became distant and realized who his father really was. Mark became enraged and killed him.

Of course, this is just a scenario.

If this interests you, you should read the forensics thread. In particular there is a post with a picture of a typical dispersal pattern. Though I doubt the same pattern would apply to a steep mountain slope.

I just remember how spread out Caylee's was and how amazed I was that they recovered almost everything. I think the kind of animals, the terrain and how a person is clothed/bagged/wrapped has a lot to do with it.

But that said...it's only a guess as I have no flipping idea.

I'm still hoping LE checked all the vault toilets in the campgrounds for the backpack. And continue to check them. I'm telling you, you drop something in there, most people using them aren't looking inside.

One of the first big community searches on Thanksgiving Day, IIRC, had searchers going through toilets and trash cans in the area. If anything was above ground in the area from the dam to MR's house, volunteers were searching there. Of course, we now know that Dylan was most likely north of there in the mountains.

Does anyone have a reference to Dylan's specific complaint? I vaguely remember ER saying something about this?

Actually - it was Dylan that said this. Dylan, in one of his texts to RN said his head felt funny from the airplane. I think it is in the media thread.

Salem

I think kids might tend to exaggerate feeling "weird" after a flight to each other, i.e it is kind of a big deal to fly as a kid, especially alone and might like to claim feeling light-headed. I don't think his flight has anything to do with his murder, except perhaps that he made it at all.

(Originally Posted by Money Girl
Another option is that if Dylan knew the person, he would have jumped in the car, backpack and all.)

Also, remember that the fishing pole is missing. So, presumably this person invited him to go fishing and Dylan took his pole as well as his full backpack. But, in addition, Dylan forgot to text RN to let him know he wouldn't be there for a while (since he was going fishing first), not to mention the fact that he was already quite late and RN had texted him asking where he was. It just doesn't add up for me. I don't see a plausible way to account for the combination of (lack of RN text + missing full backpack + missing fishing pole) without MR involvement. I can see one of those things, and sometimes two, but not all three. MOO.

That's my problem. Any one thing, all by itself, is no big deal. But there are just too many issues to be a freaky coincidental set of circumstances.

Even Marks comments made to his older son while the two were searching that deserted road, on the mountain, Dylan was found on...BEFORE he was found .....makes my hair stand on end. Mark allegedly said to his older son (by another mother) that searching there was stupid and they stopped. In the same interview he says every rock and stump should be looked under....which is it Mark?

Btw he denies saying that to his son. His son allegedly told Elaine who brought it up on the radio show...this was...again...before he was found.

All IMO

I won't go into too much detail, since this is more of a Forensics Topic (the explanation can get graphic). Here is the link to the discussion on this topic on the DR Forensics Thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213819&page=8
Bone scattering graph is on this page of the DR Forensics Thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213819&page=6

What I have been reading from the following manual -www.sarti.us/sarti/files/SearchForHumanRemains.pdf, explains that a human limb is usually transported whole by a larger animal (coyote for example), then smaller birds and animals further separate and scatter the bones. If the finger bones were found near a neck vertebrae, then this might indicate that the body was moved after decomposition. How the bones were scattered and how they were found in the proximity to each other, can be a red flag to if the bones were moved from the original site of decomposition. I think that most animals don't eat the bones, but that they get food from what is on them or from what is feeding on them. The manual also discusses some patterns of bone scattering.

Thank you. I book marked it. It's a little too "heavy" for me to read right now.... but will read it!

Mark didn't have a surveillance camera or any type of security system set up in or around his home when Dylan came in November and because he is gone for extended periods of time, I find this odd and suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chernobyl_Werewolf