Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a nurse, I will say what is the point of asking a question if a positive response was not communicated? That was badly done and I'm a little surprised that the hospital administration admitted it.

According to this he lives near the Lower Greenville area of Dallas...
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...n-dallas-county-ebola-patient-cases/16524303/

About 12 people and five children who went to school...... Sad. Four schools at that.

I am with the poster who said it so well. I think he'd been around someone close who recently died of Ebola and got out of Liberia before he started showing symptoms and make use of the American Health System which is free for him. I am curious when he bought his plane ticket.

Just thinking out loud.

As a nurse, I will say what is the point of asking a question if a positive response was not communicated? That was badly done and I'm a little surprised that the hospital administration admitted it.

Well I know several that have written off the hospital for sending him home. Under some local articles several woman have said they changed where they are delivering their babies. One was scheduled for a c-section on Fri. This nurse is now the scapegoat for the hospital's huge mistake, to make people feel safe about continuing going there.

Question - what exactly do they mean by monitoring the kids the confirmed case of Ebola was in contact with? Why are all the family and friends around him in those symptomatic days not quarantined? Did I misread it and they have taken this precaution?

To me, monitoring means watching for fever or symptoms, that does not mean quarantined away from the public.

You read it right.

I think everyone that was in contact with the man whether they are showing symptoms or not should be quarantined away from people until they are in the clear. Especially the EMS people that were around that guy. I think it's crazy that they are not doing that. If the others start showing symptoms then the the others who were around their family/friends will be exposed it.

I don't know how to post a retweet but it's from WFAA here in Dallas and Janet St James says the residents at the Ivy Apartments have not had anyone visit them.

Rebecca Lopez ✔ @rlopezwfaa The residents we have talked to at Ivy apartments say no one from CDC or Health Department have been here to talk to them. Manager confirms
Retweeted by Janet St. James

I don't know how to post a retweet but it's from WFAA here in Dallas and Janet St James says the residents at the Ivy Apartments have not had anyone visit them.

Rebecca Lopez ✔ @rlopezwfaa The residents we have talked to at Ivy apartments say no one from CDC or Health Department have been here to talk to them. Manager confirms
Retweeted by Janet St. James

wow...

About 12 people and five children who went to school...... Sad. Four schools at that.

I am with the poster who said it so well. I think he'd been around someone close who recently died of Ebola and got out of Liberia before he started showing symptoms and make use of the American Health System which is free for him. I am curious when he bought his plane ticket.

Just thinking out loud.
The very first news reports here in TX were that he had been caring for his sister in Liberia who had EBOLA! He knew he had been exposed and hopped a plane to the US so he could get healthcare.

If he knowingly exposed othesr to this, he should be arrested if he survives.

JMO!

Did I just hear 3rd case in Dallas? im at work but I have a big flat screen on the wall I just walked in and I swear I heard it!

The very first news reports here in TX were that he had been caring for his sister in Liberia who had EBOLA! He knew he had been exposed and hopped a plane to the US so he could get healthcare.

JMO!

I didn't know this. Thank you. I couldn't agree more with your opinion!

A million of cases by January 2015 is not horrific enough?

That estimate was based on a scenario where no containment or effective PH contact tracing measures were put in place. It is speculation at this stage - but is why the WHO and MSF have repeatedly called for the rest of the world to help them step up the response in West Africa.

EL PASO — Troops from Fort Bliss will help combat the spread of Ebola in West Africa.
Nearly 500 soldiers from El Paso could be sent to Liberia to provide support for health care workers. The post is now notifying soldiers in the 1st Armored Division about their role in containing the Ebola epidemic.
As many as 490 troops from Fort Bliss could be deployed to Liberia. Their mission will be to provide logistical and transportation support for U.S. personnel and international health care workers.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/loca...-africa-operation-united-assistance/16520033/

I could get really snarky right now but I'll be a good girl.

Don't want to tho":thinking:

The frustrating thing about this is that unless there is an emergency order for this to be given off label, it will probably not be used here until blind studies are done. Of course, if it could be shown that it would be unethical to give a placebo, maybe the docs can leap frog over the normal red tape, which in honesty, is there to protect us from unsafe medicines. But given the virulence of ebola, perhaps...

I understood that it was a drug given to hiv patients seems it should be already fda approved right? Ugh idk

I understood that it was a drug given to hiv patients seems it should be already fda approved right? Ugh idk
I am not certain, but I think the FDA would have to approve it for use on ebola patients, since it would be used for something it wasn't originally approved for. They are pretty rigid on stuff like, from what I understand. The benefits of using it must outweigh the risks and I believe that is decided on a case by case (or disease by disease) determination.

JMO!

Sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake. If this is the case it means his other sister in Dallas knew and yet let him stay with her.

EL PASO — Troops from Fort Bliss will help combat the spread of Ebola in West Africa.
Nearly 500 soldiers from El Paso could be sent to Liberia to provide support for health care workers. The post is now notifying soldiers in the 1st Armored Division about their role in containing the Ebola epidemic.
As many as 490 troops from Fort Bliss could be deployed to Liberia. Their mission will be to provide logistical and transportation support for U.S. personnel and international health care workers.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/loca...-africa-operation-united-assistance/16520033/

I could get really snarky right now but I'll be a good girl.

Don't want to tho":thinking:

I heard Obama was going to send 3000 troops total to the Ebola infected area which means 3000 more possible infections plus their families etc.. Ridiculous!

I heard Obama was going to send 3000 troops total to the Ebola infected area which means 3000 more possible infections plus their families etc.. Ridiculous!

I would guess that they would be in isolation for 21 days once back on our soil to be safe and sure. I hope they do anyway.

It's interesting to me that the sister has disclosed the name of the patient. I wonder if the patient will allow the CDC and hospital administration to release his name now that his family has done so. JMO.

Fox has released the name:
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26678...s-in-contact-with-ebola-patient-now-monitored

Also this:
Dallas ISD students in contact with the Ebola patient attended:
Hotchkiss ES, Dan D. Rogers ES, Tasby MS and Conrad HS. Jack Lowe ES is being watched because it's adjacent to Tasby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13