Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you are working yourself up to a hysteria and need to calm down. You guys realize that Nigeria, a country with a fraction of our resources, was able to nip this in the bud when a patient with active disease entered their country and infected about 20 or so people, right? They've not had a massive pandemic because they went through the steps to contain it. It's perfectly possible to do the same here. Anyone who didn't believe this was inevitable due to our open borders was living in denial. If it hadn't been Texas, it would have been New York, or Atlanta, or some other city.

As to people worrying that being in the same building as an infected person with ebola who has a tiny sneeze:

Last night CNN interviewed Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who is not an epidemiologist, but has the intelligence to seek out and find the best people who have studied this disease for decades, and interview them. This is not a new disease, there is plenty of research, this is NO indication it has mutated to anything significantly different. His sources had this to say about shedding virus in nasopharyngeal secretions:

He broke it down into what kinds of exposure are worse than others. Droplets that are excreted when we cough or sneeze are the tiniest risk -he explained that droplets such as this, just don't contain any real meaningful amount of virus as in the same amount of blood or even vomit. It is not a virus that lives very well in the respiratory system, which also decreases the risk of picking it up from anything expelled during a cough or sneeze. At that point it is less like bodily fluid and more like a gas. He said it was theoretically correct that one could spread the disease via cough or sneeze, but it is highly, highly unlikely to be transmitted that way because of these components. It's blood, vomit, diarrhea, and semen we need to worry about the most.

Those of you who don't trust people with education, or like to engage in conspiracy theories, or think that anyone wearing scrubs is part of some kind of effort to get you and yours can continue to work yourself into a panic and get all your science information from bunk science blogs. I live practically at ground zero and intend to stay calm and rational and practice safe hygiene and use common sense as I always have. Today as I go to work as a nurse less than 2 miles from ground zero, I will use universal precautions and keep abreast of the news, as well as keep all the people who actually came into direct contact with his bodily fluids in my thoughts and hope for the best for all of them.

Meanwhile, as in every year, over 30,000 will die of influenza, some of them after refusing a vaccine that could have saved them.

Thanks button is not enough.

Well, I'd better get my rear in gear and get off to work right now. Things I've read and heard about since yesterday:

He purchased his ticket on September 2nd. Okay, I'll loosen that noose.
He was throwing up outside in the apartment complex.
His nephew (who refers to Mr Duncan as Eric and not Thomas) called the CDC and not any doctor or local hospital. That's kind admitting they knew the back story. So it's not Ebola Thomas - slight change - Ebola Eric
Someone in Hawaii is being tested.

I'm standing my ground that he knew - he darned well knew.

Yes, I believe this man knew there was a great chance that he may become infected. Hence, the great rush to quit his job and get to the U.S. IMO people are like other animals on this earth in that we are hard-wired for survival. This man did not think or care about who he might infect - all he cared about was getting to a place where he had a better chance of surviving if/when he came down with Ebola. He did not care if he infected his fiancé (did they kiss, etc. and exchange body fluids) or her five children. Imagine his dismay when he finally went to the hospital thinking he would be admitted and all they did was send him home with some antibiotics. Of course, he could have told them that he had physical contact with a woman in the end stages of Ebola but her did not - that certainly would have gotten someone's attention. Therefore, he was cognizant enough not to tell them all the facts and thus was allowed to go back to the apartment and possibly infect more people.

I would like to know if he did vomit when being brought out to the ambulance and if/how that vomit was cleaned up and by whom?

It is my opinion that the US needs to close its borders to people coming from countries who are actively dealing with an Ebola outbreak. We need to protect ourselves and our health care system.

IMO This is not about the flu shot or hysteria...

This is about our government NOT protecting us. For crying out loud! This man came from Liberia. When he entered the U.S, bells, whistles and sirens should have gone off. When he went to the hospital the first time...more bells, whistles and sirens should have gone off.

Whether he showed symptoms, or, not...

Sorry but for me the American Government is totally at fault. They have known about this disease for years and have not done one thing to keep it from getting here. Absolute no travel from regions that have Ebola. That is the number one priority. Come on, that is just common sense. The regular everyday person does not know how to protect themselves, especially someone from outside the country. If you are from a third world country and contract a serious illness, but do not know it.......it is not your fault. Please don't make his family feel like he is a murderer.

I read an article written by a couple of medical personnel, one of them a lab person who studies viruses etc. They said this particular virus has mutated and that is the major problem. Previously the virus would kill the people within a couple to a few days, but now it has an incubation period of up to 21 days. So before if the virus hit a village, it would kill and then burn out quickly..The mortality rate in Sierre Leone is 70 %. Now it is more like 50% but has a much longer incubation period. This makes it where it can be carried long distances now, and we are seeing the results of that.

Some of you are working yourself up to a hysteria and need to calm down. You guys realize that Nigeria, a country with a fraction of our resources, was able to nip this in the bud when a patient with active disease entered their country and infected about 20 or so people, right? They've not had a massive pandemic because they went through the steps to contain it. It's perfectly possible to do the same here. Anyone who didn't believe this was inevitable due to our open borders was living in denial. If it hadn't been Texas, it would have been New York, or Atlanta, or some other city.

As to people worrying that being in the same building as an infected person with ebola who has a tiny sneeze:

Last night CNN interviewed Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who is not an epidemiologist, but has the intelligence to seek out and find the best people who have studied this disease for decades, and interview them. This is not a new disease, there is plenty of research, this is NO indication it has mutated to anything significantly different. His sources had this to say about shedding virus in nasopharyngeal secretions:

He broke it down into what kinds of exposure are worse than others. Droplets that are excreted when we cough or sneeze are the tiniest risk -he explained that droplets such as this, just don't contain any real meaningful amount of virus as in the same amount of blood or even vomit. It is not a virus that lives very well in the respiratory system, which also decreases the risk of picking it up from anything expelled during a cough or sneeze. At that point it is less like bodily fluid and more like a gas. He said it was theoretically correct that one could spread the disease via cough or sneeze, but it is highly, highly unlikely to be transmitted that way because of these components. It's blood, vomit, diarrhea, and semen we need to worry about the most.

Those of you who don't trust people with education, or like to engage in conspiracy theories, or think that anyone wearing scrubs is part of some kind of effort to get you and yours can continue to work yourself into a panic and get all your science information from bunk science blogs. I live practically at ground zero and intend to stay calm and rational and practice safe hygiene and use common sense as I always have. Today as I go to work as a nurse less than 2 miles from ground zero, I will use universal precautions and keep abreast of the news, as well as keep all the people who actually came into direct contact with his bodily fluids in my thoughts and hope for the best for all of them.

Meanwhile, as in every year, over 30,000 will die of influenza, some of them after refusing a vaccine that could have saved them.

They did studies in a lab with animals across the ROOM from each other, no contact whatsoever and the side that was not infected became infected. I'm sorry I dont trust MSM ( DO you not think they have been told to play this down etc? ) for my news as they are bought and paid for by the same people running our government, of whom also I dont trust..If we could trust them we wouldn't have the problem of infected people in our country allowed in from a place known to have Ebola.
I've just come to the conclusion that whatever the stupid thing to do is, that is what our government will do..and hey so far I've been right every time.
Come back and let us know after you've personally treated a few Ebola patients MMMK!
My kids are a few miles from ground zero too right now, their dad is dying and on hospice and I have told them to GTFO if this gets any worse..OH and they are staying with a relative who is a nurse who also said the same thing...that she is leaving if more than one other person gets this ebola.

I wonder if they scooped up (ick) the vomit and removed it or hosed it into a drainage area. And then I wonder where that drain goes and if it could get into the water system and if the virus would survive in the water system.

I don't blame these parents. If it were me, I'd be looking into homeschooling for the next month. These kids could be infected and just not showing symptoms yet. Incubation can take up to 21 days!

ITA. I would do the same thing to.

Right?

.......and what about their families?

......the cleaners have kids?..who knows?.......did they go home after work?

or did they stop and shop?

the list may grow....

I was thinking about dogs, actually. A dog or cat walking through it and walking back home. I am not concerned, although I live in DFW. I know it's hard to contract and so I'm not stocking up on Lysol or anything like that. But I do find it concerning that folks traveling in from infected areas are not ' quarantined' or at least ..... something. Take their temp, have a talk with them, get their name and address and check in with them to see if they're feeling well after a week. But , in honesty , what good would that do? Someone could travel from Sierra Leone to say UK and then head here and you 'd have no idea where they came from. So I guess quarantining based on location would not be effective either. I have a few friends who are totally freaked out right now and I'm trying to calm them. The difference in health, medical and clean water between Texas and the infected areas of Africa are like night and day. I think it will not spread here but to maybe a very few people. Plus we have news coverage telling us 24/7 all about it and that is not the case in the infected areas. Those people may not have known a village down the street was full of sick people when they decided to travel into it. It's something to be aware of but not to panic over.

I'm pissed off at the entire family. They knew he came from Liberia so when he got sick they should have never let their kids around him let alone them send them to effin school around other kids. And I know that it might not be an issue good lawd this case is just nuts! He should have told the hosptial right out that he was helping a dying woman with Ebola because I think had he done that the hospital would have sprung into action. Don't get me wrong they def dropped the ball when it was said he was from Liberia. I was doing good and not freaking out until these most recent articles - the one about the woman and the one that really made the anxiety go out of whack was the one where it stated he was puking outside the apartment. Now have you I'm in PA but stll this is Effin crazy. :banghead:

End of rant

I see lawsuit here...

We are purposely fueling the fire...well our government anyway.
http://www.mytmzliberia.net/2014/08/ebola-affected-countries-nationals-gets.html
Release Date: August 15, 2014
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is closely monitoring the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. USCIS offers relief measures to nationals of those three countries who are currently in the United States.

Immigration relief measures that may be available if requested include:
· Change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even if the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired;
· Extension of certain grants of parole made by USCIS;
· Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;
· Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives (currently in the United States) of U.S. citizens;
· Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate; and
· Consideration for waiver of fees associated with USCIS benefit applications.

President Barack Obama, Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, and Secretary of State John Kerry are directly responsible for allowing Ebola into the United States, the Center for Immigration Studies Director of Policy Studies Jessica Vaughan told Breitbart News.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...r-Not-Stopping-Ebola-Patient-Getting-Into-U-S

With TB one can do X-rays to screen. With Ebola, if this guy is still in the incubation period, screening is not going to show anything out of the ordinary. He would have no symptoms.
Even the test for virus would be negative, since his viral load would be very low. Which is why they have to monitor his contacts for 21 days instead of just testing them for virus.

With TB one can do X-rays to screen. With Ebola, if this guy is still in the incubation period, screening is not going to show anything out of the ordinary. He would have no symptoms.
Even the test for virus would be negative, since his viral load would be very low. Which is why they have to monitor his contacts for 21 days instead of just testing them for virus.

He should NOT have been allowed in to the U.S!

I wonder if they scooped up (ick) the vomit and removed it or hosed it into a drainage area. And then I wonder where that drain goes and if it could get into the water system and if the virus would survive in the water system.

My first thought was neighbor dogs and cats going and licking the area where the vomit was and then going home and being played with by children...licking them etc. UGH!

SInce he's the top dog in charge of our country and he did not stop flights to and from affected areas, which we know he has the power to do....as he does anything else he wants to do then yes he is ultimately to blame..If I were PRESIDENT I would have done that for my people of my country that I am elected to take care of..I mean the people of this country are supposed to be his priority right?

Saudi Arabia has already restricted travelers in to its country from Liberia. That seems like the prudent thing to do.

This is number is more realistic. I am concerned they said 12-18 confidently. I'm not a medical professional, but I was smart enough to know that was an unrealistic number. JMO

The health officials said 80 people may have come into contact with Duncan, NBC reported. Earlier, they had put the figure at up to 18, including five children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/texas-ebola_n_5919522.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members