Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Ebola has not been in the environment here in the US, people in the US don't have any immunities at all to the virus. Whereas people in Africa probably have some level of immunity built up over the years.

Not so sure the people in Africa do have much of an immunity. Some of these diseases (HIV, SARS, Ebola) were only recently discovered when they started infecting large numbers of people (probably caught from eating bush meat). It is quite likely that the majority of the population was never exposed before.

HIV is a good example, that originated in Africa yet they believe 10% of Europeans (and European Americans) have a natural resistance because it is similar to the Black Plague (or possibly smallpox) that ravaged Europe and the Middle East. Europeans are MORE likely to be resistant than Sub-Saharan Africans even though the disease originated in Africa.

Devastating epidemics that swept Europe during the Middle Ages seem to have had an unexpected benefit - leaving 10% of today's Europeans resistant to HIV infection.

But epidemics of which disease? Researchers claimed this week that plague helped boost our immunity to HIV, but rival teams are arguing that the credit should go to smallpox.

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050307/full/news050307-15.html

I gave the incorrect link for the Matt Lauer 48 Hours interview with Dr. Brantley. Here is the correct link:

http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/dateline/saving-dr-brantly-part-1-325902915631

It says part 1, but if you start playing it, the other parts play right after the first. It is a long video, so here is the info about waste:

Matt asks about bodily fluids and flushing them down the toilet "knowing they are ripe with ebola virus". The Emory U doc says "we can't flush them right down the toilet because our sewage treatment plant would not be very happy with us. So what we do it put it in a sterilizing solution and let it sit for five to ten minutes and then we can safely flush it".

Isn't that just fascinating?????

:facepalm:

I read the immunity is for about 10 yrs.

Are patients who recover from Ebola immune for life? Can they get it again - the same or a different strain?

Recovery from Ebola depends on good supportive clinical care and a patient’s immune response. Available evidence shows that people who recover from Ebola infection develop antibodies that last for at least 10 years, possibly longer.

We don’t know if people who recover are immune for life or if they can become infected with a different species of Ebola.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

I gave the incorrect link for the Matt Lauer 48 Hours interview with Dr. Brantley. Here is the correct link:

It says part 1, but if you start playing it, the other parts play right after the first. It is a long video, so here is the info about waste:

Matt asks about bodily fluids and flushing them down the toilet "knowing they are ripe with ebola virus". The Emory U doc says "we can't flush them right down the toilet because our sewage treatment plant would not be very happy with us. So what we do it put it in a sterilizing solution and let it sit for five to ten minutes and then we can safely flush it".

Well... what has been going on at the apt complex and the hospital before his dx? :scared:

Live news on NBC4 Pt at Howard Univ Hospital in DC showing Ebola symptoms

DC where ebola pt one had layover and switched planes interesting

JMO I cannot understand why the woman and her son and nephews are all penned up together! If there was a chance that any of them had not been exposed while Duncan was symptomatic, it is almost a guarantee NOW that they ALL will become symptomatic from exposure to each other!! Am I crazy?? It seems to me that they all should have been isolated immediately. The most likely person to have contracted it is the woman, and as soon as she has a fever, all the others are exposed. OOPS, too late,so sorry. Boy that makes me angry. JMO

There were other children in the apartment the night before he went to hospital.

The night before Duncan was taken to the hospital, Jallah and her partner, Aaron Yah, had left their daughter and three sons, ages 2 to 11, with Troh for the night.

The children usually spent part of each evening with their grandmother because Jallah’s job as an overnight nursing assistant overlaps with Yah’s as a health aide. That Saturday night, the four kids slept overnight on their grandmother’s *couches.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d51488-4a5f-11e4-891d-713f052086a0_story.html

I am in Md at this time,neighbor comes out to say hey yesterday while I was out doing yard work, they have a beach home and I am currently living in Va,. so we don't see each other often. After some chit chat she proceeds to tell me that her son in law was on the same plane from brussels to dulles OH and there were two black men sitting in front of him but he doesn't remember wheat they looked like. Crazy but true.

Not sure if this is the same person that Popsicle reported....but a patient was just brought to Atlanta today and will be treated in the isolation ward at Emory University. Guess the upside is the fact the CDC is based here in Georgia, and if it breaks out here THEIR loved ones will be at risk so they have skin in the game.

Video at link.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/3/patient-ebola-symptoms-treated-howard-university-h/

Maybe the NBC cameraman? JMO

What about all of the probably dozens of times the patient flushed the toilet prior to hospitalization?

FOX 5 DC ‏@fox5newsdc 5m5 minutes ago
Howard University Hosp in Washington DC says it has isolated a patient 'presenting with symptoms that could be associated with Ebola'

So did this second patient have any connection to Duncan? Was he on the plane or at the airport? I wish the news would give more details, just tweeting without more info is irresponsible and will just feed the panic. IMO

And Dallas toilet water goes directly to Houston

So did this second patient have any connection to Duncan? Was he on the plane or at the airport? I wish the news would give more details, just tweeting without more info is irresponsible and will just feed the panic. IMO

The Hospital has not released any of that info, only that the pt had visited Nigeria recently.

Bruce Leshan @BruceLeshan · 27m27 minutes ago

Here's everything Howard Univ is giving us now on the patient with Ebola like symptoms. @wusa9

BzCLdn4IgAE9OO3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member