Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is this guy going to go when/if he is release from the hospital?

I heard on CNN that the Liberian Airport Authorities are going to prosecute him - one would assume he'll be shipped out to Monrovia & his American visa will be cancelled. The US should deport him as an "undesirable" post haste.

[h=1]'Dead' Ebola victim wakes in plastic[/h]
The team was in for quite a shock, however. After spraying the man's body down with bleach and moving him to a black plastic sheet for wrapping, the man suddenly moved.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/world/2014/10/03/newser-ebola-victim-wakes/16643015/

They can't get them to come help when they are sick because they are so overwhelmed but if they are dead they arrive within an hour.

IMO they need to do some fast and furious testing to find out how long the Ebola virus can live outside of a host (and in what temperatures/conditions and nail down what kills it and how fast).

Not coming into contact with potential hosts is fairly straight forward, but objects are a different matter entirely (i.e. shops, work places, etc...)

We don't know if there is any connection between Duncan and the man in DC. It sounds like there is not. The man in DC was recently in Nigeria. It hasn't been reported if he was on the same plane as Duncan.

I agree. But I'm speculating out loud that the location is curious. That man from Nigeria may have been ok until he got to the airport where Dallas patient was? But I'm over thinking and going with the guy in DC has a bad tummy bug, end of story. He may have treated himself to 3 chili dogs upon landing in the US ! :)

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/1/6878695/ebola-virus-outbreak-symptoms

Number 6 is the deal breaker for me, the not so obvious.

6) You can get Ebola through contact with an infected surface. Though Ebola is easily killed with disinfectants like bleach, if it isn't caught, it can live outside the body on, say, a doorknob or counter top, for several hours. In body fluids, like blood, the virus can survive for several days. So you'd need to touch an infected surface, and then put your hands in your mouth and eyes

U.S. nurses say they are unprepared to handle Ebola patients

(Reuters) - Nurses, the frontline care providers in U.S. hospitals, say they are untrained and unprepared to handle patients arriving in their hospital emergency departments infected with Ebola.

Many say they have gone to hospital managers, seeking training on how to best care for patients and protect themselves and their families from contracting the deadly disease, which has so far killed at least 3,338 people in the deadliest outbreak on record.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/03/us-health-ebola-nurses-idUSKCN0HS18C20141003

I heard on CNN that the Liberian Airport Authorities are going to prosecute him - one would assume he'll be shipped out to Monrovia & his American visa will be cancelled. The US should deport him as an "undesirable" post haste.

Do you really think he will be deported? I don't.

So you'd need to touch an infected surface, and then put your hands in your mouth and eyes

Mucous membranes, just like the common flu. That is where masks and gloves come in (and safety glasses/goggles). They keep us from unconsciously touching our face with our hands.

G
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/1/6878695/ebola-virus-outbreak-symptoms

Number 6 is the deal breaker for me, the not so obvious.

6) You can get Ebola through contact with an infected surface. Though Ebola is easily killed with disinfectants like bleach, if it isn't caught, it can live outside the body on, say, a doorknob or counter top, for several hours. In body fluids, like blood, the virus can survive for several days. So you'd need to touch an infected surface, and then put your hands in your mouth and eyes

Number 6 is true for any virus and most bacteria. When we travel I wipe down all surfaces and fixtures in our hotel room with Clorox wipes. Will also request A/c filter change if it is in room. Never use glassware that is in room. I am not a germaphobe, just a nurse.

U.S. nurses say they are unprepared to handle Ebola patients

(Reuters) - Nurses, the frontline care providers in U.S. hospitals, say they are untrained and unprepared to handle patients arriving in their hospital emergency departments infected with Ebola.

Many say they have gone to hospital managers, seeking training on how to best care for patients and protect themselves and their families from contracting the deadly disease, which has so far killed at least 3,338 people in the deadliest outbreak on record.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/03/us-health-ebola-nurses-idUSKCN0HS18C20141003

Not sure why these nurses don't know what to do. That is just beyond ignorant. Suspect those that don't know how to handle this are very highly educated but we're under trained in the clinical arena. They should stay home. They are dangerous.

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out the percentage of people that are in direct contact with a person ill with ebola with active symptoms, that then goes on to become infected with symptoms. I have tried googling but all I get are mortality rates. Does anyone here know? tyia

So do we know how the NBC cameraman contracted it? According to Dr. Nancy Sneiderman,they were taking all necessary precautions. So where did he get it?
Also forgive me if this has been asked,but what s the condition of Mr. Duncan right now?

80 people so far in quarantene............by the end of the day, how many more?

Common sense needs to be used here!
Even the doctor didn't use common sense entering that apt.
Even when a family member has a cold, flu etc..........wash everything using bleach and hot water.
This family never did that? Oh my, is the place filthy also?

they said they cleaned the entire apartment with bleach.

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out the percentage of people that are in direct contact with a person ill with ebola with active symptoms, that then goes on to become infected with symptoms. I have tried googling but all I get are mortality rates. Does anyone here know? tyia

I don't think there IS an answer, there are far too many variables. First off what does "direct contact" mean? Sharing body fluids with that person? Sleeping in the same bed? Being in the same room and using the same door knob? Breathing the same air?

If you are living with the person, sharing the same bed, the same dishes, the same bathroom, I am guessing the rate is pretty high (but that is just a guess).

I'd say a lot!

Haz Mat live stream KTVT I have watched it for an hour and still have seen no one go in or out of the apartment??? JMO

Idk but read about Healthcare workers-
As of Aug. 25, more than 240 healthcare workers have developed the disease in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone, and more than 120 have died, according to the World Health Organization.

Many of these infections occurred when healthcare workers were removing the personal protective gear - masks, gowns, gloves or full hazmat suits used to care for the patients, said biosafety experts.

Sean Kaufman, ‎president of Behavioral-Based Improvement Solutions, an Atlanta-based biosafety firm, helped coach nurses at Emory University through the process of putting on and taking off personal protective equipment (PPE) while they were caring for two U.S. aid workers flown to Atlanta after becoming infected with Ebola in West Africa.

Not sure why these nurses don't know what to do. That is just beyond ignorant. Suspect those that don't know how to handle this are very highly educated but we're under trained in the clinical arena. They should stay home. They are dangerous.

They should be trained every year. Just like the police are trained every year for firearms training.

Idk but read about Healthcare workers-
As of Aug. 25, more than 240 healthcare workers have developed the disease in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone, and more than 120 have died, according to the World Health Organization.

Many of these infections occurred when healthcare workers were removing the personal protective gear - masks, gowns, gloves or full hazmat suits used to care for the patients, said biosafety experts.

Sean Kaufman, ‎president of Behavioral-Based Improvement Solutions, an Atlanta-based biosafety firm, helped coach nurses at Emory University through the process of putting on and taking off personal protective equipment (PPE) while they were caring for two U.S. aid workers flown to Atlanta after becoming infected with Ebola in West Africa.

But in Texas it's OK to clean puke in shirts and pants and tennis shoes.. Use the same ambulance to transport other patients and let possibly infected patients go grocery shopping.. And yea it's all OK we've got this contained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mysxoxo