Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]French nurse cured of Ebola contracted in Liberia[/h]https://uk.news.yahoo.com/french-nurse-cured-ebola-contracted-liberia-111646255.html#SutOUiD

A Montana Doctor Is Humbled By A Month Of Treating Ebola Patients

“I’ve never seen that much concentrated death at any one time,” he says. “You’d developed a relationship with these people. You knew them, and to walk in and see a previously healthy, vibrant person, sometimes in their 20s, or sometimes small children, and to find them dead the next morning, that was very, very difficult.”
There were no local doctors at the hospital; all had died from Ebola.

http://www.kvlu.org/a-montana-doctor-is-humbled-by-a-month-of-treating-ebola-patients/

[h=5]West Africa Outbreak *[/h]Guinea 1157 cases710 deaths

Sierra Leone 2304 cases 622 deaths
Senegal 1 case

Liberia 3696 cases 1998 deaths

Nigeria 20 cases 8 deaths[h=5]DR Congo Outbreak *[/h] 70 cases 42 deaths

http://healthmap.org/ebola/#timeline

The French nurse was treated with an 'experimental' drug (ie, not licensed in the US) called Avigan. But was also treated with two others, and I'm not sure if docs have been able to draw any firm conclusions about how effective the new treatment from Japan is.

I heard a doctor in the field talking this morning, saying that in Liberia, just having a bucket of water with bleach available can mean the difference between life and death. But it isn't always available.

Dallas hospital corrects earlier statement claiming 'flaw' in its electronic health records system contributed to release of Ebola patient on 1st visit; records were available to the full care team during Thomas Duncan's first visit to the emergency department Sept. 25 -

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26702...eam?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This is pure speculation on my part. Probably some attorney for the hospital decided if the hospital admitted a 'flaw' in its electronic health records, the hospital could be held legally liable. So, now the hospital is thinking that it would be better to throw a couple of doctors & nurses 'under the bus' & cut their losses now.

'Ebola Is Winning': Sierra Leone Quarantines 1.2 Million People

Fact sheets are available for most stations.
jurisdictions-925px.jpg
Click on a region on the map for contact details and more.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/quarantinestationcontactlistfull.html

Top of Page

Large-scale isolation and quarantine was last enforced during the influenza (“Spanish Flu”) pandemic in 1918–1919.

Isolation and quarantine help protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.

• Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
  • Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.

quarantine are authorized by Executive Order; describes the authorities of federal, state, local, and tribal laws; defines who is in charge, CDC's role, and enforcement measures.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in collaboration with the Department of Homeland Security, has implemented Federal travel restriction procedures to protect travelers and the public from communicable diseases that constitute a public health threat.

quarantinable diseases is contained in an Executive Order of the President and includes cholera, diphtheria, infectious tuberculosis, plague, smallpox, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers (such as Marburg, Ebola, and Congo-Crimean), and severe acute respiratory syndromes.

After evaluating the quarantine program and its role in preventing disease transmission, CDC trimmed the program in the 1970s and changed its focus from routine inspection to program management and intervention. The new focus included an enhanced surveillance system to monitor the onset of epidemics abroad and a modernized inspection process to meet the changing needs of international traffic.

By 1995, all U.S. ports of entry were covered by only seven quarantine stations. A station was added in 1996 in Atlanta, Georgia, just before the city hosted the 1996 Summer Olympic Games. Following the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) epidemic of 2003, CDC reorganized the quarantine station system, expanding to 18 stations with more than 90 field employees.

Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.
The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

States have police power functions to protect the health, safety, and welfare of persons within their borders. To control the spread of disease within their borders, states have laws to enforce the use of isolation and quarantine.
These laws can vary from state to state and can be specific or broad. In some states, local health authorities implement state law. In most states, breaking a quarantine order is a criminal misdemeanor.

If a quarantinable disease is suspected or identified, CDC may issue a federal isolation or quarantine order.

Public health authorities at the federal, state, local, and tribal levels may sometimes seek help from police or other law enforcement officers to enforce a public health order.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Coast Guard officers are authorized to help enforce federal quarantine orders.

Breaking a federal quarantine order is punishable by fines and imprisonment.
Federal law allows the conditional release of persons from quarantine if they comply with medical monitoring and surveillance.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

CDC already has regulations that govern importing the remains of a person who died from a contagious disease that is quarantinable.

Germs that can cause disease could be present in the blood or other body fluids of a deceased person even if the stated cause of death is not a contagious disease. Such germs include human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, and other germs that can be present in body fluids.

no requirements for importation into the United States if human remains consist entirely of the following:
  • clean, dry bones or bone fragments
  • human hair
  • teeth
  • fingernails or toenails
  • human remains that are cremated before entry into the United States

hermetically sealed casket: A casket that is airtight and secured against the escape of microorganisms. A casket will be considered hermetically sealed if accompanied by valid documentation that it has been hermetically sealed AND, on visual inspection, the seal appears not to have been broken.

death certificate is in a language other than English, then it should be accompanied by an English language translation.

CDC may also require additional measures, including detention, disinfection, disinfestation, fumigation, or other related measures, if it has reason to believe that the human remains are or may be infected or contaminated with a communicable disease and that such measures are necessary to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of communicable diseases into the United States.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/human-remains.html

Outbreaks that have occurred since the year 2000.

2014: Ebola Outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo

2014: Ebola Outbreak in West Africa

2012: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in Uganda

2012: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo

2012: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in Uganda

2011: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Case in Uganda

2008: Ebola-Reston virus detected in pigs in Philippines

2007: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in Uganda

2007: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)

O
2004: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in south Sudan

A
2003: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in The Republic of the Congo

F

2002: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in Gabon and The Republic of the Congo

2000-2001: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Outbreak in Uganda

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/history/summaries.html

Dallas hospital corrects earlier statement claiming 'flaw' in its electronic health records system contributed to release of Ebola patient on 1st visit; records were available to the full care team during Thomas Duncan's first visit to the emergency department Sept. 25 -

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26702...eam?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
The hospital's attempt at CYA was BS!

FOX 4 News
10 hours ago
JUST IN: Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital says the Ebola patient's electronic health records...including his travel history...were available to the full care team during his first visit to the ER...that corrects the hospital's Thursday night statement saying that there was an electronic error with recordkeeping... http://bit.ly/10qiCOj

I have a question that maybe someone can help me out with. Why did the Texas hospital treat ebola so differently than Atlanta? The CDC publically commented on the Texas case so I would think they are involved ( I can't imagine them not involving themselves ). It just seems a little odd to me, but maybe I'm just missing something! Secondly, does anyone understand why there's so many doctors with different opinions? I know the CDC is the CDC, but they've made plenty of mistakes before. Various virologists have said ebola can and will go airborne, others say there isn't a chance. It just seems as though there's no solid knowledge on this disease. Again, maybe I'm missing something. If anyone knows please school me lol :blushing:

This is not a witch hunt on my part, just curiosity on how this happened under our noses. How was this family moved and no-one saw it????? There were forty reporters outside a few days ago and I'm sure that number has increased.

This is only a guess on my part. The media was focused on Duncan's apt with his girlfriend. The daughters family could of been disguised in hazmat suits and transported in a hazmat van. No one would suspect a move. Media would think it was another clean up. Where there is a will there is a way...................

Bingo.

Just look at those who have not been on this thread and the previous one until it hit Dallas .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Hmm...I'm not sure talking about ebola on a forum is proof that people do or do not care. I think there's a lot of people that probably cared before it came to the US, but maybe didn't feel the need to discuss it. Then again, I'm sure there's a lot of people who could care less about ebola or any disease for that matter unless it's effecting them. I don't think some people took it very seriously because they've never been effected by such diseases and think it's just a commonality in rural countries. The fact of the matter is that it's deadly and spreading fast and if people do not care, then we will all pay the price for their apathy.

On Sept. 15, (day of contact) days before he left Liberia for the United States, Duncan -- a LIberian national -- helped carry 19-year-old Marthalene Williams into a taxi to go to the hospital after her family was unable to get an ambulance, The New York Times reports, quoting family and neighbors.

Williams, who was seven months pregnant, was turned away at the hospital because of lack of space in the "Ebola ward", the Times reports. She returned home that evening, hours before she died. (why did he get involved so strongly?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agent 9