Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else watch the PBS show on Ebola tonight? It was quite interesting. (I haven't watched TV in a long time). Gotta love PBS.

Nova as is usual did a great job. Between Nova and Frontline, PBS has done some of the best reporting on this epidemic. For those that missed the, the Frontline show is available online and the Nova show should be shortly.

I don't know how I feel about you guys (US) sending in 4000 troops as well. While I know that borders etc are going to need to be watched and it seems like they are going to be doing more of a policing job, it just doesn't sit right with me to take the risk with that amount of people from another country going into an area with a contagious disease and the risks associated with them taking it back to the US.... I am sure other countries will send in troops as well, as this worries me.......it could be a very bad outcome.
I also feel for those troops and their families!!!

This thought has already been discussed very times in these threads.

Who is going to take the lesser risk now for the affected nations and the world if the troops don't- to contain a far greater risk? Just like Firefighters who fight raging wild fires the troops are Heroes. The world is not perfect. bad things like Ebola happen. Many other nations need to help and share the work and risk.

Did anyone else watch the PBS show on Ebola tonight? It was quite interesting. (I haven't watched TV in a long time). Gotta love PBS.

Thanks OnTheClock!! I love PBS. The show on Ebola comes on again in 30 minutes and you bet i will be watching. Thanks for the heads up on that!

I for one definitely do not think this is a conspiracy at all.........I think it is very real....Like I mentioned on here before, I saw a little article must have been six months or a little bit longer in a newspaper about an outbreak, and I think there was about 10 people......I watched for the articles since then and used to read them out to my husband as the number of people infected got higher and outbreaks in more countries, and now here we are.

Also in one of my above posts I mentioned that I live in an area that has dengue and Ross River and horrible diseases like Hendra.....and Australia has a first class medical system. They have had so much trouble containing dengue and ross river here when it happens, but have always managed to contain Hendra.....the other two are transmitted by mossies, so they are impossible to contain.

I think it is a case of an outbreak of a disease and because of the poverty, living conditions, very basic medical facilities and the superstitions of the people, it has exploded......

Someone posted a song that a rapper has written about it. That is a great idea and a good way to get a message to the people that it is very real and to be careful what they are eating........they need more ideas like that to try and overcome the conspiracy theories and the superstitions that are just going to make the situation worse.

I don't know how I feel about you guys (US) sending in 4000 troops as well. While I know that borders etc are going to need to be watched and it seems like they are going to be doing more of a policing job, it just doesn't sit right with me to take the risk with that amount of people from another country going into an area with a contagious disease and the risks associated with them taking it back to the US.... I am sure other countries will send in troops as well, as this worries me.......it could be a very bad outcome.

I also feel for those troops and their families!!!

Here's a USA Today article info about how the troops will be housed and mentioned if anyone became ill a plan to transport back to US. Also states mission will be at least a year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ola-mission-liberia-could-last-year/16900109/

Also BBC article stating 750 troops from UK will be sent to help with the Ebola outbreak. Once again the US has the deepest investment of human and material commitments. I did see John Kerry asking for other nations to help. Jmo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29542129

ciao

My very good friend works as an administrator at a hospital , she says they cant turn away but the will do minimal treatment and get the uninsured out as quickly as possible , its an unspoken attitude in ER's.

That's pretty crappy imo

This may be very true in private hospitals. Having worked ER from 1989-2006, in a teaching facility medical center, I never saw it matter. However, when ambulances Re pulling up with multi trauma patients, we are not looking for their ability to pay in order to treat. The docs and nurses I worked with cared about one thing: the patient in front of them and saving their lives. JME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste