Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's not right!

Considering what happened in Spain, they better be darn sure they have a hospital designed for biosafety level 4 virus before bringing any Ebola patients into the country.

Did you guys know there is still an ebola patient at Emory?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/06/health/american-ebola-patients/

As another American patient with Ebola arrives in the United States, here is a look at the American patients who have been diagnosed with this deadly virus.

Ashoka Mukpo arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center on Monday, where he will be treated in the same biocontainment unit that helped Dr. Rick Sacra. Three other Americans, Dr. Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol and an unnamed patient, have been treated at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. The sixth known American patient was a man named Patrick Sawyer who died in Nigeria.

More info:

http://news.emory.edu/stories/2014/07/euh_ebola_patient/campus.html

For whatever it's worth...............the local NBC station is reporting on the 4pm news that none of the 48 people identified as having had contact with Mr. Duncan are showing symptoms at this time.

Did you guys know there is still an ebola patient at Emory?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/06/health/american-ebola-patients/

As another American patient with Ebola arrives in the United States, here is a look at the American patients who have been diagnosed with this deadly virus.

Ashoka Mukpo arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center on Monday, where he will be treated in the same biocontainment unit that helped Dr. Rick Sacra. Three other Americans, Dr. Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol and an unnamed patient, have been treated at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. The sixth known American patient was a man named Patrick Sawyer who died in Nigeria.

From news reports at the time, it was said it was a doctor working for WHO.

World Health Organization doctor working at an Ebola care facility in Sierra Leone has tested positive for the virus, the second international health worker deployed by the agency to become infected while responding to the worst outbreak of the disease on record.
http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-ebola-sierra-leone-20140908-story.html

Considering what happened in Spain, they better be darn sure they have a hospital designed for biosafety level 4 virus before bringing any Ebola patients into the country.

I guess I just feel that if we send one of our own then we better be darn well ready to also treat them and bring them back if necessary.. Most of these military are just kids..

I guess I just feel that if we send one of our own then we better be darn well ready to also treat them and bring them back if necessary.. Most of these military are just kids..

I was shocked to read that. I would also hope we would bring our men and women home, if God forbid, they became ill with ebola. It just goes to show me that every country will decide how to handle their own. It is all very unpredictable. It is mind boggling.

JMO

BBC correspondent diary about her stay in Sierra Leone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29507673

There is an upsurge in cases at the moment and the treatment centres are oversubscribed.

There is still education work going on though. A clip by the same correspondent on this evening's news bulletin was relatively positive in that it showed a village where advice about Ebola and provision of 'proper' hand washing advice and soap appears to have helped them to stay Ebola free.

I really hope they can continue to keep the infection at bay. It was a poor but lovely, welcoming, vibrant community.

My lord , --some general just made a statement that included these words "there were some black guys..standing there" I heard it, looked at screen and that is how I knew it was general

I was appalled, but relieved when Erin came back and made mention of it

-------------------

Info on plan

At least 700 members of the division will deploy to Liberia starting next week as part of the U.S. military's 4,000-soldier humanitarian mission, which is expected to last up to a year and is aimed at building 17 100-bed Ebola care centers and training hundreds of health care workers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ers-gear-up-to-fight-ebola-outbreak/17006711/

O/T Question what is the type of basic gun carried by most LE dept? Milimeters?

Faw I had same reaction when I heard 103 fever what is that 1 degree away from seizures - that was stunning -forget Ebola that is one sick hurting person

My lord , --some general just made a statement that included these words "there were some black guys..standing there" I heard it, looked at screen and that is how I knew it was general

I was appalled, but relieved when Erin came back and made mention of it

:facepalm:

Really, is it so hard to at least try to be culturally sensitive? And besides, "black guys" could be from anywhere, including among the US troops obviously! Would it have killed him to say "Liberian men" or "Guinean men", wherever he is, or even just "local men"??

Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spain is keeping nurses's contacts quarantined in the hospital. Nigeria also locked them up in special quarantine places.
US just left them where they were (except Duncan's family, which was placed in some donated house), apparently even telling some they can go back to work.
Cowboy attitude is alive and well here.

If you've yet to see any words or gratitude from the family for the assistance, you must not be able to read. I've posted links of where they thanked everyone, numerous times.

Nurses, back me here, isn't anything above 102 considering high???

It's highish for an adult, but by no means does it mean automatic IV antibiotics, or even oral antibiotics, or hospitalization. Viral fevers typically run in the 101-104 range and last up to 72 hours. An adult with a fever in that range probably wishes someone would shoot her or him. It wouldn't be at all unusual for a child to be jumping off the furniture and running around the house with a temp of 103.

Just have to hop in here with this little bit of information. This has happened to me before & I do NOT understand the problem. There are some posts that I want to post 'Thanks' on & for some reason my computer will not let me. Anyway, to those of you who have read my posts & seen my 'thanks' on other posts, please know that I tried to thank you but was unable to do so.

It's highish for an adult, but by no means does it mean automatic IV antibiotics, or even oral antibiotics, or hospitalization. Viral fevers typically run in the 101-104 range and last up to 72 hours.

The abx script really makes me think they just wanted this guy gone from the ER. Every time I've taken one of my four kids on with a high fever (highest being 105, and I don't scare easy but that had me on edge) they do NOT run a CAT scan and send them home with abx. It's always run some blood tests, get the fever down a bum it and monitor them an hour or so, push fluids, then say it's viral. No scripts given. Go home and follow the usual tepid baths/fever reducer for comfort if necessary/push more fluids, wait it out.

IME having worked in healthcare settings docs WILL often give a script for amoxicillin and send the patient home. It makes the patient feel like something has been done and gives them something concrete they can do to feel like they will get better. Most times, the patient will not be back - not because the abx worked, but because whatever virus it is will have just run it's course naturally.

What perplexes me so much is the reliance on the patient for 100% accurate info when taking history. Anyone with any experience at all knows that patients are not always forthcoming about every detail. So even though Duncan supposedly said he did not have contact with anyone who was sick, he DID disclose that he had recently arrived from Liberia/west Africa. That plus the fever should have had him isolated immediately. That they did not tells me that this hospital/health district has NOT been paying attention to CDC bulletins and preparing for the inevitable. That they sent him home with antibiotics tells me they were tryin to get him out the door and betting (and 9/10 times they'd have been right) that he wouldn't return.

That, according to some reports, they have him a cat scan, is just odd. :eek:hoh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have to hop in here with this little bit of information. This has happened to me before & I do NOT understand the problem. There are some posts that I want to post 'Thanks' on & for some reason my computer will not let me. Anyway, to those of you who have read my posts & seen my 'thanks' on other posts, please know that I tried to thank you but was unable to do so.

That happens to me too - only started after the site was revamped.

I have found a way round it, but it involves faffing. I have to refresh the page and then the 'thanks' button works.

I seem to recall that the following mods have all asked that we stop the finding fault with and having digs at Mr Duncan's family: Tricia, Bessie, Harmony2.

That seems like a very reasonable request.

Add Beach to the list, as well.

Time Outs are forthcoming and there will be no further explanation. Anyone else who chooses to bash and judge this family, expect a TO. Mr. Duncan is now deceased. Enough already. Let the man rest in peace and leave his loved ones alone. We've been fair enough with the MULTIPLE warnings.

Also, any posts screaming in oversized fonts will be removed without explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rose2024