Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't figure out how to turn this so you'll have to lean to the right! Sorry
IMG_6435 (2).jpg
All I know is, here in Cleveland, it got really crazy really fast. I am typing this as they are reporting it live on WEWS: Channel 5, Cleveland Clinic Health System, Metro Hospital, and University Hospitals ALL had nurses on the flight to DFW with AV. They were headed to a nursing conference. All of these nurses have now been put on paid leave as a precaution.

It's been wall to wall news coverage today, non-stop. Press conference from the Cleveland Mayor and Board of Health, Akron Mayor and Board of Health, I heard an interview with Sen. Sherrod Brown, a statement from Sen. Rob Portman, a statement from Governor Kasich, a Kent State press conference, etc., etc., etc. Mostly people here seem shocked, but not panicked. Some of my nurse friends are on edge, but ready to do their jobs if the need arises.

I don't know much about Texas hospitals, so I don't know that we should jump the gun and judge them for not having the built-in advantage of having the Ivy League in their backyard. (Unless anyone knows something I don't about Texas hospitals that is uniquely bad.)

Ms Vinson was in Cleveland when she developed a fever, so she didn't have to worry about access to good medical care, thank goodness. The Cleveland Clinic is amazing. But maybe they wanted her to go back to Texas just to minimize the number of people in contact with Ebola patients and prevent this kind of public freak out that is now happening anyway? IDK.

I think this has kinda gotten off topic. Her reference and mine were to the enforcement and compliance Ebola protocols. In Omaha, the state and county health departments are working with UNMC to ensure compliance. It has nothing to do with the quality of other hospitals. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

JMO

once someone gets and survives Ebola,are they forever immune? Or is it like the flu and you are only immune to one particular strain?

Hopefully they will be immune. If it mutates they may not be immune to new strains.

I was reading something today that said about 10 years and 1 strain but can't remember what or where!
once someone gets and survives Ebola,are they forever immune? Or is it like the flu and you are only immune to one particular strain?

IDK who decided Texas has poor hospitals: Texas Children's Hospital, M.D. Anderson, Texas Heart Institute in addition to Rice University, a highly respected research university which has excellent College of Science. Those are just the ones I named off the top of my head...

Im sure Pham wouldn't have stayed at her hospital if she thought she was in danger...

Presby Dallas has been known as a great place for heart care (I personally know some of those docs and they are internationally renown), women's care, and many others. They just apparently really really suck at ebola care.

Fresh frozen plasma contains the plasma proteins and labile clotting factors. It is obtained by separating and freezing plasma at minus thirty degrees centigrade from a donor unit of blood.

FFP should be used within six hours after thawing, ideally within two hours, in order to prevent deterioration of clotting factors. The most common volume is 250-300 ml although volumes ranging from 20 to 650 ml may be available.

FFP does not need to be cross-matched but should be ABO compatible. Group O FFP only should be transfused to group O recipients

the BCSH guideline states that (1):
with regard to ABO blood groups, the first choice of FFP is that of the same ABO group as the patient
if this is not available, FFP of a different ABO group is acceptable so long as it has been shown not to possess anti-A or anti-B activity above a limit designed to detect 'high titres'. FFP of group O should only be given to O recipients (grade B recommendation, level III evidence)
for infants and neonates, plasma should be free of clinically significant irregular blood group antibodies. FFP from group AB donors has no anti-A or anti-B antibodies, and is frequently preferred
FFP needs to be ABO compatible but not RhD compatible as it is unlikely to cause RhD sensitisation and therefore Anti-D prophylaxis is not required if an RhD negative recipient is transfused with RhD positive plasma

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=1959788582

M.D.Anderson was AMAZING with my father-in-law! They saved his life and is Cancer free now!

My husband was saved from stage 3 colon cancer as a result of concerted care between MD Anderson, and yep, Presby Dallas. He probably should not still be here, but 7 years later, he's doing great.

M
Hah! They provided inaccurate information and got caught out on it. First they said the ER nurse never asked Patient Duncan if he had traveled. Next they said oh, no, she asked and entered the information but there was a glitch in our computer system that the ER doc could not access the nursing screen to see the information. After that, a third story was put out. That indeed the information was there and the doctor could have accessed it. They just never went on to say "The ER doc just never bothered to look at the information".

We have also never been told exactly why Mr. Duncan was given antibiotics at that ER visit. So, this hospital CEO in his statement is doing a whole lot of praying, I see, but not really offering anything above what he absolutely has to. He is also saying the nurses were provided with appropriate PPE.

ER doc brushed him off with a prescription for antibiotics.

We have also never been told exactly why Mr. Duncan was given antibiotics at that ER visit. So, this hospital CEO in his statement is doing a whole lot of praying, I see, but not really offering anything above what he absolutely has to. He is also saying the nurses were provided with appropriate PPE.

We were told that the CT scan was, among other things, looking at possible appendicitis due to his abdominal pain, so antibiotics were prescribed prophylactically in case there was a case of fulminating appendicitis. Obviously not the case.

@BrianCurtisNBC5: .@texashealth exec will tell Congress tomorrow "we inadvertently provided some information that was inaccurate." #DallasEbola @NBCDFW

Texashealth exec will tell truth because they know Congress will nail their a$$es to a cross if they lie. And those execs know nurses will talk.

Thank you.

"Had Duncan received a blood transfusion from Brantly, it would have caused hemolysis - the breakdown of red blood cells - according to Dr. Christopher Stowell, director of Transfusion Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital."

I'm going to defer to the doctors until I hear further:

Dr. Kent Brantly told ABC News today that his blood type is A+, while Duncan's family has said his blood type was B+, making them incompatible for a transfusion of whole blood or plasma. Blood transfusions from someone who successfully battled the virus are believed to possibly be beneficial to Ebola patients.

We were told that the CT scan was, among other things, looking at possible appendicitis due to his abdominal pain, so antibiotics were prescribed prophylactically in case there was a case of fulminating appendicitis. Obviously not the case.

His final dx was sinusitis, so I think abx were for that.

Hah! They provided inaccurate information and got caught out on it. First they said the ER nurse never asked Patient Duncan if he had traveled. Next they said oh, no, she asked and entered the information but there was a glitch in our computer system that the ER doc could not access the nursing screen to see the information. After that, a third story was put out. That indeed the information was there and the doctor could have accessed it. They just never went on to say "The ER doc just never bothered to look at the information".

I think what he regrets saying is that the hospital was prepared to properly care for Eboli patients. I read in one article earlier today that the first nurse was given a choice whether to go to Emory or not and she chose to stay there.

Why was she given a choice? And if the quality control is as bad as the Nurses union is saying, it makes no sense that she would want to stay there. I'd beg the CDC to move her if she were my kid.

JMO

Texashealth exec will tell truth because they know Congress will nail their a$$es to a cross if they lie. And those execs know nurses will talk.

Yep.

I was friends with a former very high up exec at Presby. He was amazing, he radiated excellence and expected it of everyone else. He's no longer there, and I bet he is counting his blessings. It was a loss for that hospital when he departed. I wonder if things would have gone differently if he were still at the helm. No way to know, of course.

12 days ago AC spoke with Louise (on 10/3) by phone and yet this week, while he's in Dallas, there's no phone/video interview with her. Being quarantined doesn't prevent phone/skype conversations. I would think she'd jump at the chance to announce to the world that she (and family) remain symptom-free to validate that she was right and had not been exposed to any of Eric's body fluids (Recall CNN/AC: "Ebola only spreads through infected bodily fluids. And it's distinctly possible that no one around Duncan got exposed to his. Louise said she didn't think she had"). I just think it's extremely odd that there has been no mention of Louise/family in the media recently, with the exception of her minister speaking to the media. But, again, why her minister? The phone worked on October 3, why not now? I can't shake the bad feeling I'm having about this - I hope I'm wrong. Guess we'll know by October 30th (QT 21 + 10 additional days)...

JMO ~

I think what he regrets saying is that the hospital was prepared to properly care for Eboli patients. I read in one article earlier today that the first nurse was given a choice whether to go to Emory or not and she chose to stay there.

Why was she given a choice? And if the quality control is as bad as the Nurses union is saying, it makes no sense that she would want to stay there. I'd beg the CDC to move her if she were my kid.

JMO

She probably felt comfortable there because she knows that the doctors and nurses care for her. She was thinking of it on a personal level, not the bureaucratic one, or the systems one, which failed her. I can understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop