Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@dallaspiosana: #Bentleyupdate! Bentley is settling in, getting used to new routines. The cutie played w/ new toy and snuggled w/ vet http://t.co/jA5v763lyw

As happy as I am for Bentley I hope the Spanish Ebola nurse and husband aren't seeing those photos.

The husband was so desperate to save their dog, seeing the happy photos of Bentley will make him feel even worse about what happened to Excalibur.

STUDENT AT SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE UNDER QUARANTINE FOR EBOLA

A student at Southwestern College who was allegedly on the same flight as Texas nurse Amber Vinson has been quarantined Thursday after they became ill while in class at the school in Chula Vista, according to Anna Pryor, editor-in-chief of the college's newspaper, The Sun.

read more .... http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...ege-under-quarantine-for-Ebola-279453812.html

My grandson's g/f is in the building this student was in. Not sure if the same class. My grandson is at a different college and I haven't been able to find out where his g/f is.

I'm very upset.
:(
fran

ETA: I just heard on twitter they're locking down the HS that's across the street from the college. My younger grandson is in the HS.

I hope and pray that this turns out to just be a precaution and no ebola involved.. For your family's sake as well as others.. I'll say it again.. Close the air travel from infected areas..

They just said in the televised hearings that inadequate PPE protocols were being used by nurses at the Texas Hospital for the two days prior to the arrival of the CDC on the day the ebola was confirmed. So whether any of the nurses "think" they were properly garbed, they were not.

In Liberia the protocol is to use full body suits. To have a misted bleach sprayed all over the PPE suit prior to it being removed.
It is called Level 4 precautions.

The protocols being used at the Texas Hospital during that two day window before the arrival of the CDC did not even include the use of shoe covers. So anybody who treated Duncan during those two days would be at High Risk.

One of the things that really, really bothers me in this entire fiasco is the nurse telling about the waste being stacked up to the ceiling! What does this mean, exactly? That they had no arrangements for hazardous waste removal in place, so they were stacking all of the orange hazard bags in one room, awaiting proper hazardous waste removal?

Oh I agree they were not properly covered. If they trusted the CDC and hospital in saying this is all you really need then they thought they were in full protection. And according to the CDC they were protected. So for me it was not the nurses fault but the fault of protocol. Instead of the CDC coming out saying we really blew it they should be head to toe covered. Yet even today Frieden is still trying to partly blame these nurses.

A student at Southwestern College who was allegedly on the same flight as Texas nurse Amber Vinson has been quarantined Thursday after they became ill while in class at the school in Chula Vista, according to Anna Pryor, editor-in-chief of the college's newspaper, The Sun.

read more .... http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...ege-under-quarantine-for-Ebola-279453812.html

My grandson's g/f is in the building this student was in. Not sure if the same class. My grandson is at a different college and I haven't been able to find out where his g/f is.

I'm very upset.
fran

ETA: I just heard on twitter they're locking down the HS that's across the street from the college. My younger grandson is in the HS.

Okay, let's hold on a minute.
The article says:
A student at Southwestern College who came in contact with someone on the same flight as Texas nurse Amber Vinson has been quarantined Thursday in Chula Vista, according to Anna Pryor, editor-in-chief of the college's newspaper, The Sun.

BBM So the friend of someone who was on the flight feels ill? Is his friend that was actually on the flight ill? This article doesn't make much sense in terms of the time frame and what we know about ebola.

Scary as it is, try to comfort yourself in the fact that the possibility that the student was infected by a friend that was on the same flight as that nurse is pretty remote (there is no indication she was producing a lot of body fluids), and even less likely that the girlfriend was exposed in any way.

Hopefully the student has one of the typical stomach bugs college kids get all the time. Will be crossing my fingers for all of them.

This reminded me of when's basement backed up with sewage. A hazmat crew had to come in and we were not allowed to go anywhere near our house until it was thoroughly decontaminated. They told us that stuff was airborne in the sewage. Imagine whst was airborne in that room!!!

Which may be why they moved the first nurse out of there. At this point, after learning that the nurses were treating other patients in addition to treating Duncan, that blood tubes for testing were sent through the hospital's pneumatic system, and that hazardous waster was stored onsite for any period of time, I would think this entire Hospital building needs to be decontaminated.

Anybody here want to be a patient at the Texas hospital right now?

I'm very upset.
fran

Oh Fran, {{{{hugs}}} to you and your family!!

Prayers for the young lady who is ill and in quarantine that she has ANYTHING besides Ebola...

Westie Mom

I'm very upset.
fran

Oh no fran. What day was the flight the nurse took? We should start tracking timelines (hopefully it will turn out another less serious illness). Seems quick if Ebola.

I know this was a few pages back, but as a trained dispatcher I can understand this. By saying 'Ebola' you are diagnosing. A dispatcher cannot do this. All you can do is transmit the symptoms. If the patient tells you that they recently traveled from an infected area, you can transmit that information, as a heads up. That is all. A dispatcher can only transmit facts - no assumptions.

I applaud Mr. Long for asking that the nurses no be referred to as Nurse 1 and Nurse 2. He likened it to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

I'm very upset.
fran

People, wait a second! There is something wrong with this post. The first line says:

But when you open the article, it says this:

A student at Southwestern College who came in contact with someone on the same flight as Texas nurse Amber Vinson has been quarantined Thursday in Chula Vista, according to Anna Pryor, editor-in-chief of the college's newspaper, The Sun.

So which is it, because these are two VERY different risk situations.

Okay, let's hold on a minute.
The article says:

BBM So the friend of someone who was on the flight feels ill? Is his friend that was actually on the flight ill? This article doesn't make much sense in terms of the time frame and what we know about ebola.

Scary as it is, try to comfort yourself in the fact that the possibility that the student was infected by a friend that was on the same flight as that nurse is pretty remote (there is no indication she was producing a lot of body fluids), and even less likely that the girlfriend was exposed in any way.

Hopefully the student has one of the typical stomach bugs college kids get all the time. Will be crossing my fingers for all of them.

I agree. This person was not in contact with Amber, so even if the person they knew that was on the plane was exposed, there is no logical way this person was. Even IF it were airborne, and I definitley believe it is not.

This, however, is a good example of the kind of panic and scares I suspect we will be seeing more and more frequently.

Like I said, it's going to be an interesting winter.

This reminded me of when's basement backed up with sewage. A hazmat crew had to come in and we were not allowed to go anywhere near our house until it was thoroughly decontaminated. They told us that stuff was airborne in the sewage. Imagine whst was airborne in that room!!!

Yeah, the fact you can SMELL IT means tiny "it" particles are getting in your nose. That is why it is a best practice to close the lid before flushing (if it is just pee not such a concern).

They say Ebola has a distinctive smell (in a ward, presumably the fluids given off). I know vets say Parvo also has a very distinctive smell.

So this is really close to home...
@wfaachannel8: Two @RoyseCityISD schools will close as an Ebola precaution; the two schools are Davis Elementary and Ruth Cherry Intermediate

Yeah, the fact you can SMELL IT means tiny "it" particles are getting in your nose. That is why it is a best practice to close the lid before flushing (if it is just pee not such a concern).

They say Ebola has a distinctive smell (in a ward, presumably the fluids given off). I know vets say Parvo also has a very distinctive smell.
As does a c-diff infection.

"I don't know of a single disease that transmits from dogs or cats to humans or vice/versa.

Just google "diseases transmitted by dogs to humans" and "diseases transmitted by cats to humans".

And just as a reminder to the younger gals reading here: Pregnant women should NOT be changing cat litter due to the danger of the transmission of toxoplasmosis.

Last Rep who spoke smacked down the CDC for not apologizing. Said he was grateful that the hospital apologized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member