Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody take breather while I clean up this thread.

Continue discussion here...

1) Blogs must be approved before posting.
2) Please read your post before hitting reply. If your post is personal to someone else, don't post it.
3) Posts about the political aspects need to be taken to the designated area on the forum.
4) Post responsibly by linking to information.
5) Keep information relevant to the disease and steer away from bashing victims, conspiracy theories and race.The guidelines above have been posted several times; therefore, any infractions will result in time-outs.

While y'all are breathing, I strongly urge review of the above mod admonition in the opening post of every Ebola thread.

ADMIN NOTE:

Okay, I am going to re-open this thread for discussion about

Ebola - the disease itself and the efforts to contain it and control it's spread.

ALL POLITICAL DISCUSSION, including immigration and the appointment of the Ebola Czar by President Obama goes in the Political Pavilion thread linked here.

I removed a LOT of posts. The ones that were political in nature I will be moving to the thread linked above.

Any further discussion posted in a political context in this thread will result in an automatic Time Out. No exceptions. No further warnings.

***Bump this post as necessary, please***

Some of this may have been posted – I am just catching up and am out of breath!!!!

Only two nurses who cared for Thomas Eric Duncan have contracted Ebola, but fear of infection is still bordering on hysteria in the U.S....NBC

False Ebola Claim Triggers Courtroom Shutdown

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/10/17/inmate-claiming-he-has-ebola-triggers-courtroom-shutdown/.

NBC: Fort Worth a diner in restaurant overheard pilot saying to someone else he had been to Africa. He called 911 asking for an ambulance.

Sierra Leone dissolves country's Ebola response team; reconstitutes it with Defense minister put in charge - @UmaruFofana

New York Giants are briefed about Ebola before trip to Dallas - @BleacherReport

US asks 3 drug labs to submit plans for producing Ebola drug Zmapp - @CNBCnow

800 to 1,000 vials of Canadian-made experimental Ebola vaccine will be shipped to WHO in Geneva on Monday; clinical trials to start soon - @CBCAlerts

EU says it has reached an agreement with the US to use specialized air ambulances operated by Phoenix Air to evacuate European medical workers from West Africa if they contract Ebola - @Reuters

NBC: Syricrose, Washington Post photographer has been uninvited to present at University – he had been in Africa.

NBC: Ohio Court house, City hall, bank, school shut down for cleaning.

Re: Cruise thing – how could a lab person know or not know whose blood was tested? I would assume blood work is named. I would hope a test said Duncan.

thank you, beach, for cleaning up the thread.

the last time I saw somebody vomit in public, I was standing outside at the airport in New Jersey. mid April sometime. This lady got out of a car looking awful pale. she stood next to me, and there was a trash can right there. She said to me apologetically that she got car sick and she was going to throw up. she then proceeded to vomit into the trash can. I held her hair back and rubbed her back and shoulders until she was done. I had an extra small water with me in my bag so I gave it to her.

it saddens me just saying that if the same situation presented itself now, I would probably back away, and report that someone had vomited into the trash can to somebody. It saddens me because its not my nature to walk away when someone isn't well... But right now? that's what I would probably do.

On the other hand, while I was in town today at the store, I hit a great sale for ramen noodles and for vegetables. I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again... Always better to have it, in case of emergency, than not to have it.

as for why Nina was downgraded from good to fair, I'd have to say some of it comes from the travel, and the stress that travelling puts on the body. For Nina, already sick with Ebola, to travel that far has got to have put a strain on her body. also with ebola, sometimes someone gets a little bit better and then crashes out. I'm hoping and praying that it's just strain from traveling that has made her get down graded.

Best
HC

"Re: Cruise thing – how could a lab person know or not know whose blood was tested? I would assume blood work is named. I would hope a test said Duncan."

Yes, a blood draw tube has a label put onto it by the person who drew the blood, right then and there at the patient's beside. Then the tube is placed into a plastic baggie. In the case of the blood of the ebola patient I would imagine it was triple bagged, just like the waste was supposed to be.

Within the lab itself, anyone who handled the bagged sample would have been gloved. Plus, I don't think they were actually testing the ebola blood specimens onsite in the Dallas hospital lab. I think it was all sent out to the CDC or the NIH for testing.

thank you, beach, for cleaning up the thread.

the last time I saw somebody vomit in public, I was standing outside at the airport in New Jersey. mid April sometime. This lady got out of a car looking awful pale. she stood next to me, and there was a trash can right there. She said to me apologetically that she got car sick and she was going to throw up. she then proceeded to vomit into the trash can. I held her hair back and rubbed her back and shoulders until she was done. I had an extra small water with me in my bag so I gave it to her.

it saddens me just saying that if the same situation presented itself now, I would probably back away, and report that someone had vomited into the trash can to somebody. It saddens me because its not my nature to walk away when someone isn't well... But right now? that's what I would probably do.

On the other hand, while I was in town today at the store, I hit a great sale for ramen noodles and for vegetables. I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again... Always better to have it, in case of emergency, than not to have it.

as for why Nina was downgraded from good to fair, I'd have to say some of it comes from the travel, and the stress that travelling puts on the body. For Nina, already sick with Ebola, to travel that far has got to have put a strain on her body. also with ebola, sometimes someone gets a little bit better and then crashes out. I'm hoping and praying that it's just strain from traveling that has made her get down graded.

Best
HC

I just saw a snippet on Megyn Kelly and the "expert du jour" was saying that the travel likely took a lot out of her, and from what he can see and understand her prognosis is very good. :)

ADMIN NOTE:

Okay, I am going to re-open this thread for discussion about

Ebola - the disease itself and the efforts to contain it and control it's spread.

ALL POLITICAL DISCUSSION, including immigration and the appointment of the Ebola Czar by President Obama goes in the Political Pavilion thread linked here.

I removed a LOT of posts. The ones that were political in nature I will be moving to the thread linked above.

Any further discussion posted in a political context in this thread will result in an automatic Time Out. No exceptions. No further warnings.

***Bump this post as necessary, please***

Question. If a politician, like Obama, makes a speech about ebola, does it go here or in political?

In a way, it's hard to believe it's been almost three weeks.

Ebola Victim's Family Prepares to Leave Quarantine

The first group of people exposed to Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan will no longer considered at risk for Ebola virus at 12 a.m. Monday.

After three weeks of isolation or self-monitoring, 47 people -- including Duncan's fiancee Louise Troh, her 13-year-old son and two nephews --- will be cleared and allowed to go on with their lives. More at link . . ..

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ebola-Victims-Family-Prepares-to-Leave-Quarantine-279633312.html

In a way, it's hard to believe it's been almost three weeks.

Ebola Victim's Family Prepares to Leave Quarantine

The first group of people exposed to Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan will no longer considered at risk for Ebola virus at 12 a.m. Monday.

After three weeks of isolation or self-monitoring, 47 people -- including Duncan's fiancee Louise Troh, her 13-year-old son and two nephews --- will be cleared and allowed to go on with their lives. More at link . . ..

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ebola-Victims-Family-Prepares-to-Leave-Quarantine-279633312.html

I've never seen that video of them leaving their apartment.

Question. If a politician, like Obama, makes a speech about ebola, does it go here or in political?

Political.

Specifically, in the thread linked in my post you quoted.

I'm annoyed by the wording in this story that they "were placed" in voluntary isolation. No, they "placed themselves" in isolation! Because they are smart and considerate!

Well yes. I am very happy that they placed themselves in isolation.

But, sigh, I also think that they realized the potential for making money off of the news media.
probably a fortunate to be made by them whether they get sick, or not.

Actually, if they get sick, they will make millions, if they hire the right lawyer.
They do have at least 21 days to sit around, surf the net, make phone calls..and find the right lawyer. Whether they get sick or not, the airline's insurance company will have to pay something, to make these guys, go away. Probably a lot, of money to shut them up.

I do not blame them. They did not ask for this. But they are cheesy opportunists who might have hit the jackpot.

I sincerely hope that neither one of them is infected.

I remember photos of workers steam cleaning or power spraying sidewalk in front of Ms Troh's apartment, Mr. Duncan had vomited on the sidewalk. This what they did at Nina Pham's apartment - sorry if posted before, I couldn't find it but let me know and I will remove this. They wore hazmat garb. Photos on page.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/12/neighbors-of-second-patient-concerned-as-cleaning-begins/17164795/
Neighbors of second Ebola patient concerned as cleaning begins
David Schechter, WFAA 11:24 p.m. CDT October 12, 2014
Smith said the first step is to clean the outside, including atomizing and spraying chemicals on areas that could have been touched and contaminated by the patient.

Maybe the same thing was done at Ms Troh's apartment but I don't - do remember a man using a push broom - oh well, someone correct me

A Doctor interviewed on CNN in the past day or so said a person is more likely to have a wreck on the way to the airport than to be infected by Ebola on a plane.

Was that the same "infectious diseases doctor" who quite clearly claimed ebola could be stopped with soap and water? I about came out of my chair when those words fell out of her mouth.

I remember photos of workers steam cleaning or power spraying sidewalk in front of Ms Troh's apartment, Mr. Duncan had vomited on the sidewalk. This what they did at Nina Pham's apartment - sorry if posted before, I couldn't find it but let me know and I will remove this. They wore hazmat garb. Photos on page.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/12/neighbors-of-second-patient-concerned-as-cleaning-begins/17164795/
Neighbors of second Ebola patient concerned as cleaning begins
David Schechter, WFAA 11:24 p.m. CDT October 12, 2014

Maybe the same thing was done at Ms Troh's apartment but I don't - do remember a man using a push broom - oh well, someone correct me

I want one of those cleaning guns:)

The male models who flew on board with Amber and sat within 3 feet didn't seem at all "cheesy" in that interview that aired on CNN. They seemed a lot more level headed and considerate than a lot of the people I have seen interviewed who have possibly been exposed to Ebola. Did something else come out about them that I missed - because to me...they seemed very knowledgeable about the specifics of Ebola and were very concerned not only about contracting it, but also spreading it to their loved ones and others. Can't really say that about the people (one with a high profile title who went out in public and had to issue an apology). Why are these guys considered opportunists when others have also given interviews?

Well, that's just great.

I know this was posted hours ago, but I'm playing catch up and just read the post "suspected case in Texas goes missing". I said those exact words in my head^^^^. I laughed out loud when i scrolled to next post and read the exact thing I had just thought. :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3