Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never get the flu shot either. I never get sick. But I couldn't care less if the doctors asked me where Id travelled. I'm really confused as to what your point is?

Privacy. Nothing more really, if I want anyone to know anything I'll tell them. And besides, If I traveled to Africa and this came about, (ebola) I wouldn't be at the Drs to get a flu shot, and if I did go to my Dr to get a flu shot I would think/hope that he/she would ask about my vacation/trip to Africa since I probably got shots from him to go. jmo idk

Privacy. Nothing more really, if I want anyone to know anything I'll tell them. And besides, If I traveled to Africa and this came about, (ebola) I wouldn't be at the Drs to get a flu shot, and if I did go to my Dr to get a flu shot I would think/hope that he/she would ask about my vacation/trip to Africa since I probably got shots from him to go. jmo idk

But not everyone goes to the same doctor all the time. I don't. Not everyone gets shots for traveling. I guess I'm confused because (I assume) people want checks on people possibly carrying ebola, but it seems kind of hypocritical to say that screening questions don't apply to everyone. I don't understand why you're an exception.

Telling your doctor about recent travel out of the country is in your own best interest. There are diseases prevalent in other nations that are not found in your home country. Your travel history is a clue that will help your doctor correctly diagnose the problem.

This is actually a two way street, a visitor from Africa could be exposed to Hantavirus when visiting my state.

Doctors are required by law and professional ethics standards to keep such information confidential.

Ok. I'm really getting annoyed. I am no doomsday prepper or anything, but this is getting to where it is almost past the point of containment IMO. Because the virus infects 1.8 ppl per 1 infected(don't have link for this but have read it many places. If this is wrong please correct me) it will spread exponentially and really start to snowball quickly. I told hubby last night that I feel as if the snowball is still at the top of the hill but about to go off the edge. Thankfully we have a family friend who is somewhat of a prepper and has a ranch in the middle of nowhere alabama with enough stuff to self sustain if need be.

ETA: I feel we have the means to stop it. We are just making to many mistakes and risking being politically correct over what needs to be done. I say, force these ppl into containment, and use our tax dollars to help them as they need it for bills/food/medical service whatever they need to stay contained comfortably. THAT is something I would say would be tax dollars well spent.

Secondly, I am perplexed about the blood type issue. Since immunity properties are held in the plasma, why are they not just separating it and giving new patients plasma? It isn't blood type specific. And has everything they need to benefit from it.

ETA # 2: sorry I didn't see that ebola czar was off limits, my bad!! Thanks Sonya for the heads up so I don't get a time out :)

But not everyone goes to the same doctor all the time. I don't. Not everyone gets shots for traveling. I guess I'm confused because (I assume) people want checks on people possibly carrying ebola, but it seems kind of hypocritical to say that screening questions don't apply to everyone. I don't understand why you're an exception.

Modern travel has made it a necessity to be 100% forthcoming to medical staff about your travels, and IMO, all patients should willingly relinquish that info. It is in the best interest for everyone to do so IMO. It would help to create better flu shots, it would alert to possibly new viruses being spread throughout the world. But I agree, it should apply to everyone across the board. No exceptions.

Modern travel has made it a necessity to be 100% forthcoming to medical staff about your travels, and IMO, all patients should willingly relinquish that info. It is in the best interest for everyone to do so IMO. It would help to create better flu shots, it would alert to possibly new viruses being spread throughout the world. But I agree, it should apply to everyone across the board. No exceptions.

Asking about someone's travels is nothing new and helps Drs with a possable diagnosis. Many years ago after a car accident required me to have a chest X-ray, it was noted that I had enlarged lymph nodes. One of the questions was had I recently travel to San Joachin
Valley in California. Apparently there was some sort of fungus that could cause enlarged lymph nodes. I don't see why anyone would care if they are asked about where they travel to.

I would never travel outside of the country without whatever shots I would need or require. I am not a citizen from a country fighting a deadly disease trying to enter a country trying to keep it out. jmo idk I am not an exception.

New vets from A&M have taken Bentley and moved him into a lab type environment where he is kept in a cage with a metal floor and receives NO human contact (have to wonder if he even gets bedding or if he has to sleep on a metal grate).

He is being treated like a lab animal now. :(

That really really sucks. Only positive is it could possibly save countless other dogs from being used and then killed in lab experiments, but sadly I doubt if it will, somebody will get funding and do it anyway.

I wonder if that means he's carrying the virus.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

No, I think they just don't want to bother with hazmat suits, they would rather treat him as a lab specimen. If he showed signs of HAVING the virus then they would want regular blood samples and such, but they don't plan to even go in the room or have contact with him.

ETA - I posted the link to that article along with a comment saying how sad that is on the Dallas Animal Services facebook page (where all of the Bentley updates and fan messages are left).

https://www.facebook.com/dallasanimalservices

They replied immediately on the page and at first said they had no clue "how I got that idea", then they read the LINK I included and said it is NOT accurate and they will work to get that article corrected asap. The head vet at A&M is directly quoted in that article making those statements so it will be interesting to see what happens.

If that story is accurate then they won't be able to post any more cute "Bentley having fun with toys and caregiver pics". It will also likely impact the number of gifts and donations that have flooded in to them.
This was expected, and good for him and future dogs. :) He'll be a little lonely, but they need to check to know about his viral load/shedding.

"Dallas Animal Services and Adoption Center

Bentley had a very comfortable evening in his temporary housing snuggled up with all of the wonderful toys and supplies you have all provided - Thank you! This morning the Texas A&M Emergency Response Veterinary Team dawned their suits under the watchful eye of our own Dr. Cate McManus, and headed in to begin Bentleys daily care ritual, which he has become very comfortable with. He is such a good boy and is quickly adapting to the routine! Bentley is still resting comfortably in his crate in-between his care routine visits.

We wanted to let everyone know that we will shortly move into the next phase of Bentley's quarantine. This temporary phase will include moving Bentley to a special kennel that will help us collect his urine and bowel movements for monitoring and testing . This is the least invasive, safest and most comfortable way to complete this process for Bentley, and for everyone involved. This phase isn't expected to last more than a day or so, and as soon as this phase ends, Bentley will be returned to his current set up and care routine.

Stay tuned for the morning pics once the family has given us permission to release them. Remember, we have put this process in
place to ensure that Nina has first glimpse at her number one cheerleader.

ADMIN NOTE:

Okay, I am going to re-open this thread for discussion about

Ebola - the disease itself and the efforts to contain it and control it's spread.

ALL POLITICAL DISCUSSION, including immigration and the appointment of the Ebola Czar by President Obama goes in the Political Pavilion thread linked here.

I removed a LOT of posts. The ones that were political in nature I will be moving to the thread linked above.

Any further discussion posted in a political context in this thread will result in an automatic Time Out. No exceptions. No further warnings.

***Bump this post as necessary, please***

Question. If a politician, like Obama, makes a speech about ebola, does it go here or in political?

Political.

Specifically, in the thread linked in my post you quoted.

... Bump... So we don't get another lock down. ;)

Links to some hopeful news! And yes, I'm a proud Auburn alum. ;)

Auburn University researchers developed potential Ebola treatment with one small 'tweak' in virus molecules
<snip>
Auburn University Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry Stewart Schneller led a team of researchers in the project, which is expected to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry.

Schneller, who has studied Ebola for the past decade, has focused on combatting a variety of virus-caused infections by designing a new drug candidate featuring a compound that may reverse the immune-blocking abilities of certain viruses, including Ebola.

Researchers find potential treatments for future Ebola outbreaks
<snip>
The Ebola virus is able to turn off the body’s natural immune response. But researchers at Auburn University believe they’ve developed an “on-switch.”

WHO said in the draft document that "nearly everyone" involved in the response to Ebola failed to notice factors that turned the outbreak into the biggest-ever on record.

When Doctors Without Borders warned in April that Ebola cases were out of control, a dispute on social media broke out between the charity and a WHO spokesman who insisted the virus was being contained.

According to the internal report, it was only in June that WHO's chief, Dr. Margaret Chan, was alerted to the seriousness of the outbreak — and of the organization's botched efforts in West Africa.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/discuss-ebola-mistakes-document-26293633

... Bump... So we don't get another lock down. ;)

Oops, went to remove my post and see someone did it for me. Thanks, whoever did that and sorry I posted in error !

Was there ever a follow up on the person from Baylor that was being tested for Ebola?
Also someone mentioned that Amber was doing well,do we know that for certain? Last thing I heard was she was stable. I know her family made a statement that they were not going to release information,but wondered if there had been any leaks.
... And watch Yale closely...

Someone asked earlier about statistics for the rates of transmission for Ebola. I found this study from the CDC about how they calculate that information. It was based on transmission rates in Africa. The chances of spreading vary according to where a patient is located, whether in hospital care, at home in supervised quarantine or at home with no medical supervision.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su6303a1.htm?s_cid=su6303a1_w

Here's the link to a table with relevant data

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su6303a1.htm?s_cid=su6303a1_w#Appendix-tab1

From the table, the estimates of forward transmission are

for hospitalized patients - 0.12
for patients at home in isolation - 0.18
home with no isolation - 1.8

Keep in mind, these are African statistics, where someone with Ebola at home with no isolation is also likely to be buried without adequate safety precautions, something that wouldn't happen in the US.

So patients in the hospital or in supervised isolation are very unlikely to pass Ebola along to anyone else.

Sorry I hadn't seen the czar was off limits, I edited my post, thank you Sonya for keeping me in the loop!

Telling your doctor about recent travel out of the country is in your own best interest. There are diseases prevalent in other nations that are not found in your home country. Your travel history is a clue that will help your doctor correctly diagnose the problem.

This is actually a two way street, a visitor from Africa could be exposed to Hantavirus when visiting my state.

Doctors are required by law and professional ethics standards to keep such information confidential.

DH is a frequent blood donor (Type O+). We had wanted to cruise the Panama Canal for many years but kept postponing the trip because at least one of the ports on the PC itinerary was on the Red Cross list of quarantined destinations. If we visited those ports - even if we chose not to disembark - DH would not be able to donate blood for a year. We finally took the long-awaited cruise, but DH wasn't eligible to donate blood due to one of the ports being under quarantine.

We were booked on another cruise that stopped in Grenada. We found out a couple of months prior to sailing that Grenada was quarantined and were able to switch our booking to another ship with a different itinerary. It's best for everyone to follow the rules and advice of health professionals, and everyone should be open and honest regarding their travels for everyone's safety and welfare. :moo:

I'm going to post this again because it provides some new info on questions we have had. It is the 45 minute interview with Dr. Weinstein from Presby who is now one of the few doctors in the country who have (or is it has?) taken care of three ebola patients (Duncan, Pham, Vinson). There is also a transcript if you want to skim:

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...n-doctor-talks-about-ebola-response/17483917/

Ok. I'm really getting annoyed. I am no doomsday prepper or anything, but this is getting to where it is almost past the point of containment IMO. Because the virus infects 1.8 ppl per 1 infected(don't have link for this but have read it many places. If this is wrong please correct me) it will spread exponentially and really start to snowball quickly. I told hubby last night that I feel as if the snowball is still at the top of the hill but about to go off the edge. Thankfully we have a family friend who is somewhat of a prepper and has a ranch in the middle of nowhere alabama with enough stuff to self sustain if need be.

ETA: I feel we have the means to stop it. We are just making to many mistakes and risking being politically correct over what needs to be done. I say, force these ppl into containment, and use our tax dollars to help them as they need it for bills/food/medical service whatever they need to stay contained comfortably. THAT is something I would say would be tax dollars well spent.

Secondly, I am perplexed about the blood type issue. Since immunity properties are held in the plasma, why are they not just separating it and giving new patients plasma? It isn't blood type specific. And has everything they need to benefit from it.

ETA # 2: sorry I didn't see that ebola czar was off limits, my bad!! Thanks Sonya for the heads up so I don't get a time out :)

They are giving plasma. Brantley was type A+ and Duncan was B+. Not sure why they are not getting plasma from Africa because surely not everyone over there has hiv, malaria, etc...

I looked up storage of plasma and none of the links jumped out at me. Just curious on how all that works and how long it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest